[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

23 hours ago, charray said:

Who is is the best supporting character to you? I like all but Domi has my vote. He is adorable and like a mini me Eugene Choi. :D

Whoa.. this is hard.. they're all equally cool and awesome :lol: I like Domi, too.. indeed he's like a Eugene mini me but adore Ms. Haman as well, she's the motherly-bodyguard you don't mess with. But I suppose I'll vote for Kyle.. he's the only one Eugene is extremely comfortable with to show his extremely silly side to.. that chewy document incident plus I can't count my bullets blunder.. :P

• Like 11

Hi again Soompiers.  Once more, apologies in advance for my long post below!  And, as always, if I missed any plot point or characterization, please let me know! :sweatingbullets:

6 hours ago, anipanch said:

THIS! I have to use your words, since you so perfectly put it. AS' character indeed took a very weird turn. I can't see her ambitions of free and independent Korea and it's very mind-boggling, since she was pretty much the only main character who went against every expectation and took parts in some controversial operations, but suddenly AS in the latest episodes stops being the patriot and her feelings for the homeland is nowhere to be seen. I really can't figure out what the writer is trying to establish with AS' character. A noblewoman going around dressed in man's outfit fighting with a gun against everyone who disrespects her country is now nothing more than a woman in love who daydreams about living in the US with her lover... Okay, there's nothing wrong with her being in love but AS' path is more of a downgrading rather than a development and it's very disappointing to see a woman so strong who was ready to sacrifice all of her interests for the sake of the country now talking about wanting to give her heart to a man who doesn't even know where his loyalty lies... 

Hi @anipanch. Thanks for your insight on AS' recent character trajectory (or "apparent" lack thereof).

Now, I'll give KES a benefit of a doubt regarding AS' "apparent" lack or slowing of character growth/trajectory because it's not easy to give more than one- or, in this case, 5- major character enough scenes in every episode to showcase their personal growth and/or contribution to the main storyline.  You mentioned that EC "doesn't even know where his loyalty lies".  The same can be said of DM (because of his traumatic past and his parents' senseless suffering and death at the hands of Joseon commoners) and HS (because of his parents' elitist apathy towards others' plight and his grandfather's atrocities committed toward others including EC's parents and the one Joseon person whose land he confiscated as a so-called present for HS).  Perhaps KES put aside (to some extent) AS' (and HN's) major trajectory in recent episodes so that EC, DM, and HS would find themselves more entangled in the main uproar over Wan Ik's latest schemes, King Gojong and/or the RA's indecisiveness on handling the imminent Japanese colonization and then decide their own future actions (or lack thereof) in Joseon, thus testing their loyalty based on their traumatic past/misgivings.  But the thing is, their involvement in Joseon stems mainly from their intrigue over AS and their gradual knowledge of AS past nightly actions in opposing Japanese rule in favor of Joseon independence.  I will be highly disappointed if KES makes AS become another one of the allegedly "strong" major female characters who gets reduced to a plot device for male major characters to grow and carry the plot of the drama/movie/etc.  Then again, I did not expect KES to take on an extremely difficult historical period/topic in Korean history that the Japanese government still, to this day, undermines.  So, I'll trust that KES will allow AS to evolve in her stance on her future and her fight for Joseon independence over the next 8 episodes.

Having said that, my issue with AS in recent episodes is not so much on her mulling over and/or defending her relationship with EC (though I do find her daydreaming of her "future" with EC in the U.S. whimsical but very jarring; I mean, is AS romanticizing both her and EC's social status/life in the U.S.?) but that (unless I missed certain scenes; for I cannot recall every detail of the past 16 episodes of the drama) AS has not yet fully contemplated on the current plight of the Joseon people (EC did ask if the Joseon AS is fighting for will have a place for all the people including slaves and butchers), the current (in)actions of King Gojong and the RA, and, most importantly for her sake, her own future/status in (or outside) Joseon in light of the (unfortunately inevitable) Japanese annexation of Joseon Korea.

First of all- and let's be honest- however noble, brave, and daring AS was in donning men's clothing and fighting off with rifles and Seung-gu's training against anyone disrespecting her country in the earlier episodes, AS acted mostly on her romanticideal, and naive notion of Joseon Korean patriotism and nationalism (and probably her deceased parents' involvement in the RA; I do not remember if AS already knew about their actions at the beginning).  Unless I forgot some details of the earlier episodes, I cannot recall AS actually being aware of, let alone getting actively involved in, the RA or King Gojong's actions before encountering EC.  If she had done so, she should already have some sobering (albeit, disheartening) perspective on how far the RA or King Gojong are willing to protect the Joseon people, including her and her loved ones, from the Japanese.

AS' mulling of her relationship/future with EC, however endearing and eye-opening, somewhat troubles me.  For one thing, AS started pursuing EC (and learning English assuming that EC is literate in English) out her idealromantic notion of EC's status as a highly-ranked(?), genteel American soldier.  Thankfully, KES had EC calling out (in his considerate manner, of course) AS' naive stance in her fight for Joseon independence and making AS start questioning what she really knew about the status and plight of all Joseon people.  Also, KES had the grace of having AS acknowledge EC's past and still defend her love for him, much to the ire of her grandfather.  That being said, I would rather KES give less scenes of AS pining for a "hopeless" future with EC, especially those daydreaming scenes of her future with EC in the U.S. that definitely looks way out of touch with reality.  Why?  First, I'm sure that AS will somehow find ways to make her relationship with EC work anywhere.  Second, AS should realize that her relationship with EC is not the only matter she has to worry about losing; her own status, future, and life in Joseon, as well as her fight for Joseon independence, is about to be (irreversibly) jeopardized once the Japanese takes over Joseon Korea.

2 hours ago, aurelionsol said:

Hi, 

Thoughts - i dont need answer, just read my dear :)

The Mountain - future base Righteous army

Have you ever wondered how long it will last? Maybe the emperor try take away his lands after some time (Eugene)? Maybe he will betray them and send an army that will murder everyone or most of them? ( I have a feeling HS father oppose it and will be murdered as high rank joseon officer, Choi properies confiscated and HS mother maybe thrown out onto the street :/)

I doubt that Japan will get his hands dirty and force the emperor to solve the problem with RA. Maybe Japanese troops will attack the Mountain and the emperor will be powerless or say them where they hiding? I have the impression that under pressure he does strange things (forged letter and murdered missionary). He is a very weak emperor or he born in bad period and lost because he had very strong enemies in region. Japan won wars with China, Russia and and they had alliance with the USA or very good political relationship. 

Some of the rebels who survive may leave the country or give up further fighting (Eugene, Aeshin, HS, Hina?). Why? Japan-Korea Treaty of 1905 - Following the Protectorate Treaty of 1905 between Korea and Japan, which stripped Korea of its rights as an independent nation.

The presence of American soldiers will lose their sense and deployed troops will be taken away (Eugene, Kyle). Korea was obliged to become a Japanese protectorate by the Japan–Korea Treaty of 1905 and the "reforms" were enacted, including the reduction of the Korean Army from 20,000 to 1,000 men by disbanding all garrisons in the provinces, retaining only a single garrison in the precincts of Seoul. On 6 January 1905, Horace Allen, head of the American Legation in Seoul reported to his Secretary of State, John Hay, that the Korean government had been advised by the Japanese government "that hereafter the police matters of Seoul will be controlled by the Japanese gendarmerie" and "that a Japanese police inspector will be placed in each prefecture". A large number of Koreans organized themselves in education and reform movements, but Japanese dominance in Korea had become a reality.

I came up with a brutal scenario?

This can be reason why they lose hope (betrayal and lack of support) and decide live and be happy. Most of the people they knew would die, run away from the country and maybe few hide in the woods and resist like hunter Hong. 

RA in 1905 consisted of many separate units commanded by independent commanders. I do not remember exactly but it was only in 1908 that they formed an alliance. Previously, they had acted separately and probably didnt work together because the commanders were people from high classes and low classes or they had different opinions.

The English school will be liquidated and most of these girls will die according to my thoughts, many RA members and people like French Baker, former slave hunters, scholars - they are secondary protagonists but their death does not matter? The main characters dont have to die but the price they pay will be huge because lose almost everything what they loved or was precious. I think this series is about survival and being happy after horrible experiences. The series goes in the direction where the main characters have a chance to survive and went in different directions (China, America, Europe, Japan). 

This is just my opinion and we dont have to argue and write essays.

HI @aurelionsol.  Sorry to cut the last bit of your post.  Incredibly informational (and sobering) post on the bleak outcome of the fate of Joseon Korea, the RA, and so on.

Over the 8 remaining episodes, I would like that KES shows scenes of AS really contemplating the consequences, advantages, etc. of proceeding with her initial cause of fighting for Joseon independence, getting more involved in the RA movement and see how the RA (and King Gojong's cabinet and army) act in the face of impending Japanese rule, and then deciding if this something worth fighting for with her life or if she should (more-or-less) renounce her cause and leave Joseon (with EC, if he survives) due to disillusionment over the lack of conviction on both King Gojong and the RA's (who, along with Eun San, are quite a piece of work in this drama) part in protecting her, her loved ones, and the Joseon people of all social backgrounds from the Japanese.

If, at the end, AS still believes Joseon is worth fighting for with her life despite Japanese opposition and lack of support from King Gojong (and perhaps some of the RA), then I want her to work together with EC, her loved ones, and some current (Eun San?) and would-be (DM, HS, HN?) RA comrades in understanding the plight of the Joseon people, opposing Japanese rule, and brainstorming how to create a more equal (Joseon) Korea that will protect the rights of all people once the Japanese rule ended.  Again, this is a tall order that should not rest solely on AS' shoulders alone.  But I would appreciate if AS, EC, and others realize that their fight for Joseon does not end with them overthrowing the Japanese (yes, I know, it's futile, but given KES' creative liberties with EC's rank in the U.S. army in that era, who knows?); they need to work on ensuring that the voices and rights of all Joseon people be heard loud and clear (again, not very likely, but it is a noble cause).

However, if, after going through the RA movement before (and maybe during) Japanese colonization, AS surmises that it's not worth throwing her life for the cause that King Gojong and the RA will not support for the sake of her, her loved ones, and all the Joseon people during that tumultuous period, then AS should be able to pursue her personal safety and happiness, even if it means leaving Joseon Korea just before the Japanese takes over.  Granted, this may not sit well with some K-netizens, especially pro-nationalistic ones, who would have to witness a character trajectory of a "brave yet privileged Joseon noblewoman advocating Joseon independence at night" renouncing her cause and leaving behind Joseon and its people of all backgrounds who could not escape and will have to suffer the next 30-40 years of Japanese oppression and atrocities.  Nevertheless, as long as KES shows scenes of AS actively partaking in the RA movement and the everyday lives of Joseon people in the remaining episodes, it's not like AS would remain naively stuck in her initial romantic sentiment of Joseon independence and blithely unaware of the predicament of her loved ones and Joseon people.  If KES were to play out a scenario in which AS witnesses King Gojong (and worse, RA) standing by and doing nothing as the Japanese takes over Joseon Korea and starts randomly making examples of any Joseon people (i.e., Japanese soldier or ambassador randomly shooting the town while dragging off  random Joseon common women for their own gratification), then AS has the right to question her initial beliefs of upholding Joseon independence if she decides she cannot trust KIng Gojong and/or the RA to save her, EC, her loved ones, and others.  Perhaps then, AS will truly understand EC's (and DM's) cynicism and distrust towards their mother country that has turned a blind eye on their and their family's senseless hardships (and deaths).  Because, for all AS knows, she (and her loved ones) may find herself at the mercy of the Japanese with no one doing anything to help her- almost like that shoot-out scene involving that despicable Japanese ambassador (whose name, if disclosed, I forgot) and the Joseon spy posing as a geisha (again, don't know her name).  Lastly, by concluding with this kind of scenario, KES will postulate yet another rhetorical question that will most likely outrage K-nets but should be considered noteworthy: Aside from the Japanese oppression and atrocities committed in Korea, did the lack of Joseon Korean government's involvement in ensuring protection of its people's rights also contribute to the destabilizing and breaking of the morale, trust, loyalty, social conduct, etc. of the Joseon people and/or the RA, thus making it more plausible for the Japanese to subdue?

My overall point (at the moment now; I may adjust it depending on how the next 8 episodes unfolds) is that I want KES showing scenes of AS moving past her initial "romantic" sentiment/fight for Joseon independence (and her conflict over the plausibility and/or acceptance of her relationship with EC) and getting more involved with both the everyday lives of all Joseon people and the RA movement (with EC and co. on her side) so that she can finally decide where her fate lies.  As long as AS truly witnesses and assesses the actions of the RA, King Gojong, and others in the midst of the Japanese colonization, I'm fine with whatever path she takes.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

I like how Dong Mae stays close to AS so quietly.

Maybe its time that AS corrects the ugly gesture, when she

threw the money bag on the floor.

Dong Mae in a red kimono...so handsome.

AeShin is anything but ugly. Maybe Dong Mae should stop shooting her just to make her quit RA. 

It seems to me Dong Mae's so call protection, is just trying to hog the attention of AeShin. Knowing AeShin feels nth for her, he still trying to make her visit him once per month by holding Sumi and Eugene as hostage just for the sake of it. It's all forceful on his part, I hope to see some development of DongMae where he's moved past this obsession, it's getting boring tbh. 

That's where HS 's growth shine in EP 16, he has come to realize instead of plucking the flower and wit, it's better to leave it alone, and embark on a new journey in setting up a newspaper company, where only truth matters and not catchy headline. ROFL, KES's dig at current media ?

• Like 7

2 hours ago, rocher22 said:

I like how Dong Mae stays close to AS so quietly.

Maybe its time that AS corrects the ugly gesture, when she

threw the money bag on the floor.

Dong Mae in a red kimono...so handsome.

At this point, DM is a stalker who shot her leg and is threatening her boyfriend and innocent person to get close to AS. Going there once a month would be deplorable thing for her to do, esp considering that is a ronin place where gangs are gathering. I'm surprised Hamandaek and Hangrang abum let her go there. Althou AS is again doing what she must do to protect her people.

YYS is doing wonderful job of performing bad boy DM in the drama, but character DM needs to grow up more to really stand beside AS. Maybe there will be some big happening for DM to change him dramatically, we'll have to wait and see.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Onto news, there's no official news but from dcinside Mr Sunshine gall, it's posted that Kim Taeri's shooting completed on 30th ( yesterday for Korea ). I'll post here if there's official news. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@KDramaLogic Thank you for your post. I was really having a good time reading it. It's 2 am here and I just got back from spending time for the countdown of our independence day today. Back to KES and her direction and inspiration for the RA story. After reading your post I went over to read some materials during this time period. I am curious how far in terms of the time period will KES cover in the drama. From the wikipedia, it was indicated that the Japanese govt will introduce a law that prevents publication of local newspaper in 1907 resulting in only one remaining newspaper company publishing a korean newspaper but this is owned by a foreigner. I wonder what will happen with HS's newly built business. Quite a number of events happened in that year and years that follow e.g. the emperor sending secret reps to the Hague, him appointing the crown prince as regent, the prime minister signing treaty with japan that effectively annexed korea etc. We know that KES initially introduced the drama as the story of the RA but after much complaints by the viewers on the historical aspects, I wonder how many of the history inputs were replaced/regarded as fictional since we also know she has been working on the episodes way before the disputes and complaints were raised and that filming also has been quite far ahead. I am looking forward to see the close relation between this fiction and the history and find out if any parts of it matches, even slightly. Should be an interesting workout for me brain, at least. Unfortunately, I will only be able to rely on the recaps and reviews since I can't access the streaming sites while in Korea. Tried it before. They seems to be blocked. Looking forward to your insightful reviews ladies. Ok. Will head to bed now. Night night ladies!

• Like 4

Sorry, this thread is moving too fast for me to backread all posts :D

Has anyone venture a guess on what will be Hee-Sung's first published article as a newspaper man?  Just want to say how proud I am of HS's trajectory as a character.  Byun Yo-Han embodies him well.

• Like 5

Hi, @KDramaLogic

I'm not a native speaker, sometimes my thoughts are hard to read :) I even have an outline of the entire American-Japanese clash scene at the Go family residence and all conversations (EC/Japanese officer, EC/Aeshin, EC/Lord Go) because I think this will be place where many things happen and they resolve few problems and new ones will appear :)

I assume that Eugene and Aeshin will be actively involved in RA actions related to their troops. It seems to me that Lord Go will accept the relationship of Eugene and Aeshin. Dont forget that Aeshin is a woman and cant walk 20-30 miles with a few kilos of equipment like Eugene (the hunter is not a soldier and has not undergone specialized military training).
Her participation will be accepted only if she goes through a new training and leaves when things get complicated. Eugene can make mistakes in the command to save Aeshin. I think he will be aware of this and will force her to leave if he says so. I think that she will agree because he will threaten her that he will leave and she will never see him again. 

Now I will write a few scenarios and I am curious how you refer to the topic. I'm a bit expanding thoughts or ideas from previous post. 

1. I wrote that HS's father will be murdered, his property confiscated and his wife will be thrown out onto the street. 

Let's change the script a bit. HS's father accidentaly hear about japanese troops "pacification action" in near future. He objects that he will not allow it but they threaten him that he will be killed, his property confiscated and his wife thrown out onto the street. Even though he knows about it, he decides to remain silent fearing the fate of the family. 

Maybe he will decide to reveal the plan but it will be too late... The japanese troops set off faster to the destination "Mountain". 

What would you do?

2. Eugene and Aeshin set off to the planned action with thirty companions. When they return to the base they can see the bodies of their dead companions and destroyed base. A group of Japanese soldiers (similar in number) stayed to look for valuable things. Thanks to experience, Eugene knows that the traces of the fight are fresh. There may be a much larger enemy unit nearby - several hundred. If they get into a fight, he can die, Aeshin and the rest of the survivors. He is responsible for their lives and will probably wait until they leave (looking for more survivors?) or withdraw. The rest will probably want to get revenge, but he will not allow it and japanese soldiers leaving base. 

What would you do?

3. HS's father feels guilty of a massacre and he meets Eugene revealing the truth. I assume they will come to an agreement. HS's father will stay in Korea, work with Japanese (collaboration - milder version, he will try avoid a deeper participation in cooperation) and take care of Go family property, servants, aunt after Lord Go death because he is very old person (EC and AS go to USA). Of course, he will also save his property and family. 

Maybe he'll try to save more people too in secret. HS stay, forgive father (maybe marry Hina? I have no idea at the moment what do with her, Lee Van Ik reminds the real person who signed the annexation of Joseon/Korea) and may save his newspaper after 1907 (engaged or married Hina). He will publish a censored newspaper, but also an underground newspaper about Japanese crimes. After the death of his father, the young master takes care of both properties. Maybe Aeshin will return with children in 1945 or her descendants?

What would you do?

Edit:

These fictional scenarios are similar to real characters and decisions taken, for example, in XXX (country). I wrote them based on knowledge about what was happen in XXX - based on real characters and events. 

This post is more to reflection and to see a wider picture for soompi users.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the developement and growth of the characters (namely Aeshin) I believe I will wait for the next episodes to watch. The drama is not ended yet, right?  There is room for growth and  space for hope.  That is all my favourite characters (everyone but Wan Ik) will get an happy ending.  And if it will be sad, instead, as history teaches us, that at least we have some fulfilled love before the end. I am talking about Eugene and Aeshin, of course... but there could be more...

• Like 7

5 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Sorry, this thread is moving too fast for me to backread all posts :D

Has anyone venture a guess on what will be Hee-Sung's first published article as a newspaper man?  Just want to say how proud I am of HS's trajectory as a character.  Byun Yo-Han embodies him well.

There are so many things for HS to write, but I think big events he needs to cover in his paper,  to fight for the cause of Joseon would be these 2.

1. Use of Japanese issued currency in Joseon. This and later monetary reform turned Korean economy belong to Japanese economy, so this should be the biggest issue at the moment.

2. Scholar's demo led by grand pa Go.

These 2 are interesting because they're based on real events and we can sort of link drama characters to real persons in history. Grandpa Go seems to be loosely based on Choi Ikhyeon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choe_Ik-hyeon

He did scholar's demo against Japan-Korea treaty of 1876, and stout believer of Neo-Confucianism. GrandPa Go was against cutting hair(which is against the Confucian belief), and didn't like western culture, and Christianity. ( You may remember him saying that to his relatives in prior episode ), which is similar with Choi Ikhyeon's belief. In the preview, there is a scene where you can see an axe during the scholar's demo. Choi Ikhyeon did it on 1876, against Korea-Japan treaty, declaring that if gov is going to enter into this treaty, they rather cut his neck with this axe.  So it's not direct link, but seems that Grandpa Go is loosely based on Choi Ikhyeon.

For 1 event, there's this Japanese politician that can be a character Takashi is based on, and who did monetary reform in Korea. His name is Megata Tanetaro, who's first japanese Harvard Law School graduate. In real history he's older than Eugene by 10 years, but again, probably loosely based. 

There are also, eclipse and spring flowers. Which items HS will cover first, we wouldn't know..... if HS covers first 2 listed above, he's firmly in great cause and against his family's wish ( they want him to get a job from Lee WanIk. ) So, this will be interesting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article about HS in next episodes,

from   SeoulEconomy newspaper

'Mr Sunshine' Byun Yohan, sorrowful weeping from his Glory Hotel room.. for what?

0003383671_001_20180831081043906.jpg?typ

In episode 17, Byun Yohan filmed a scene where he was weeping with sorrow, adding to his sufferings. Character Huisung was reading some document, started crying and couldn't help his quiet grief. What would be the reason for this, when HS is usually a jovial person?

What do you think this document is? Wedding letter? Or entirely different document?

• Like 8

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLXBIce37G-7LHrxvD0RTimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHSTUSQDsL4rTQkCt2Q_omaxresdefault.jpg

I wonder about a little girl who grew up without the love, support, or presence of parents because they gave their lives for something they believed in.  Yet she grew up well enough that her heart had mercy on a young boy she wanted to help...

I wonder about a young woman who never had time for herself or all those feelings, foolishness and experiences being young and rich brings.  For she was taking the courage and learning to shoot a weapon when other girls her age were learning to do needle work or painting etc...

I wonder about a woman who feels the reality, the sorrow in seeing her home and country being slowly swallowed up by forces and changes outside and within.  That not even her gun or time can seem to hold back...

I wonder about a woman's heart that yearns for the very things that every woman wants, needs and dreams about.  To feel the warmth and love of a mans touch a desire to love and be loved.  To feel and be felt.  To finally have something a little taste of happiness and hope.

Even the belief that no one has the right to tell another whom to love not even if they are just a character...

I wonder how people can so easily judge even a character without understanding or knowing or walking in her shoes. Never felt her pain or loneliness, her fears or desires.  Have no idea of the sting of being shot or for that matter the strength and courage it takes to shoot another.  To risk all that you have, your own life for an idea and belief that is bigger than yourself.

I wonder if this character was me or you, would it be so simple?

How would others judge us?

There has been nothing easy about her life and yet her life has been an example in trying to do the right things from childhood to adulthood.

In trying to make a difference and protect the only home she knows that isn't perfect but it's still her home.

The fact that she has found love doesn't mean she doesn't care.

To me it only means she wants to breathe in just a little life while risking her own.

For even she doesn't know what tomorrow will bring and either do we...

:heart:

3 hours ago, mistymorning said:

There are so many things for HS to write, but I think big events he needs to cover in his paper,  to fight for the cause of Joseon would be these 2.

1. Use of Japanese issued currency in Joseon. This and later monetary reform turned Korean economy belong to Japanese economy, so this should be the biggest issue at the moment.

2. Scholar's demo led by grand pa Go.

======

In episode 17, Byun Yohan filmed a scene where he was weeping with sorrow, adding to his sufferings. Character Huisung was reading some document, started crying and couldn't help his quiet grief. What would be the reason for this, when HS is usually a jovial person?

What do you think this document is? Wedding letter? Or entirely different document?

Great points! :D  I'm guessing Grandpa Go left a letter for HS asking him to look after Ae Shin. The tears. :bawling:

I'd love for him to write the greatest tribute to Lord Go.  Their relationship albeit short was very meaningful to a man who was at odd with his own grandfather.

This screenshot is from episode 3, the first time we met Hee-Sung. It centered his shadowed figure below the stacked books with the Japanese building/palace looming through the window.  Is this the future for our HS?  Becoming the voice for RA and Joseon under Japanese occupation.  The pen is mightier than the sword they say.  LWI may have controlled the post office but not the voice of Joseon.  I hope Hee-Sung find his life's purpose, a higher purpose, in the prints and words.  

Screenshot 2018-08-30 18.35.57

In honor of Hee-Sung and his great big heart.^^

Screenshot 2018-08-30 18.16.48

Spoiler
Screenshot 2018-08-30 18.10.55Screenshot 2018-08-30 18.13.12Screenshot 2018-08-30 18.10.16Screenshot 2018-08-30 18.09.33Screenshot 2018-08-30 18.10.07

Credit: tvn

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

Great points! :D  I'm guessing Grandpa Go left a letter for HS asking him to look after Ae Shin. The tears. :bawling:

I'd love for him to write the greatest tribute to Lord Go.  Their relationship albeit short was very meaningful to a man who was at odd with his own grandfather.

That's one possibility.

15 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

This screenshot is from episode 3, the first time we met Hee-Sung. It centered his shadowed figure below the stacked books with the Japanese building/palace looming through the window.  Is this the future for our HS?  Becoming the voice for RA and Joseon under Japanese occupation.  The pen is mightier than the sword they say.  LWI may have controlled the post office but not the voice of Joseon.  I hope Hee-Sung find his life's purpose, a higher purpose, in the prints and words.  

Well, in 1907, Lee Wanyoung and Japan imperialists announced "Sinmunjibub" to control newspapers. By the law, all Joseon people who want to publish a newspaper they need to get a permit(which was already in place before 1907), needs to report 2 copies before they let any daily newspaper out, and ultimately newspaper can be closed if it's being deemed as disrupting the peace of society. So Japanese imperialist can basically remove any article before issue, and close any if they don't like it. They can close, fine, jail journalists and confiscate press machines.

This is really dark period, so in my case, without the love I am not sure I could endure watching it. Only love this passionate can be the source of power so I can endure grim historical events depicted in this drama. For that I applaud KES for writing this period with this deep sensibility and balance, and not forgetting to ask hard questions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

Well, in 1907, Lee Wanyoung and Japan imperialists announced "Sinmunjibub" to control newspapers. By the law, all Joseon people who want to publish a newspaper they need to get a permit(which was already in place before 1907), needs to report 2 copies before they let any daily newspaper out, and ultimately newspaper can be closed if it's being deemed as disrupting the peace of society. So Japanese imperialist can basically remove any article before issue, and close any if they don't like it. They can close, fine, jail journalists and confiscate press machines.

Thanks for letting me know about the historical facts.  Good thing HS is fluent in Japanese.  The only thing left is to weasel his way into Lee Wan Ik's heart. Hmmmm, betrothed to Hina? ;)  Newspaper is a great source for rebel communication. LOL

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

Thanks for letting me know about the historical facts.  Good thing HS is fluent in Japanese.  The only thing left is to weasel his way into Lee Wan Ik's heart. Hmmmm, betrothed to Hina? ;)  Newspaper is a great source for rebel communication. LOL

LWI is more than likely liking HS for his money :P And, I think LWI liked HS for his courteous manner speaking about Glory Hotel and Hina, but ergh... to think of LWI as a father is too scary. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

After Mr Sunshine Netflix's Best Supporting Character clip posted last night, here's one from tvN. Not as many choices but with other characters as well. Check it out. Well, my pick is still Kyle! :lol: 

@USAFarmgirl Well-said! :wub: Everyone writes so remarkably well, good points from both sides by avid drama fans. No fluffy stuff but valid insightful arguments without fist-fighting or hair-pulling.. right..

@mistymorning Totally appreciate the awesome info and news that we might not be aware of. Please keep on sharing!

Tomorrow is MR.SUNSHINE day! Always be cool, shining bright! mrs.jpg

• Like 8

Meanwhile Lady Ae Shin in Joseon, rocking the power of PPLs :D

August 31, 2018

Drama 'Mr. Sunshine' fuels popularity of retro parlance

Source: The DONG-A ILBO

5b886fcc0216d273824c.jpg

“’Love’ hago sip so (I desire love).” This was one of the many lines that can be found at a chat room on a Korean portal site where the viewers of Mr. Sunshine, a popular drama on tvN channel on August 19. The room quickly filled up with replies with old Korean expressions such as “Nado geureo hao (Same here),” “Ebeon saeng eun gleosso (Not a chance in this life).” Small chit-chats followed even during the drama was being aired. The content of replies varied, but they used the “hao” style at the end of each sentence. 

The viewer ratings of Mr. Sunshine surpassed the mark of 15 percent, according to Nielson Korea on August 19. The average viewing rate of those aged between 20 and 49, which are considered as the most critical viewers population, stood at 9.3 percent, beating all competitors with the same time slot. Popular dramas are naturally followed by a great scale of fan base. But there is something peculiar about the avid viewers of Mr. Sunshine. 

Set against the era of the Korean Empire, the show is fueling the popularity of retro style outfits and accessories. An increasing number of consumers are looking for “the enlightenment period look.” On-line shopping malls and rental shops of traditional Korean clothes are promoting their products on social media, hashtagging the name and the style of Go Ae-shin, the female lead of the show, which is played by Kim Tae-ri. 

In many Internet communities, people leave comments to identify the brand of hairbands worn by Kudohina, a Japanese character in the show played by Kim Min-jung. Those items were all shown in the drama as part of a product placement advertisement, also known as PPL. In fact, many people leave comments attesting to their first personal purchase of traditional Korean clothes. In an Internet community frequented by male consumers, tips are being shared on how to grow a beard like Kim Hui-sung, a male character played by Byun Yo-han in the show. Auction, an online shopping mall in Korea, announced that the amount of sales of retro fashion and daily times, such as pearl necklaces and traditional purses, has soared as much as five times year-on-year. 

Kyu-Jin Shin newjin@donga.com

• Like 9
  • LOL 1