[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

2 hours ago, KDramaLogic said:

But, considering AS' grandfather's predicament (preferably not death sentence by Wan Ik but, given the Ep. 17 preview and spolier pics, doesn't look promising :cold_sweat:), someone will have to take his position in bringing together the scholars and Joseon people of all social backgrounds in their fight against Japanese rule.  And who better to do it than AS, EC, and other current (Eun San?) and would-be (DM, HS, etc.) RA compatriots?

I don't see anybody who will replace Grandpa Go in the drama. AS will not be that one due to her being sheltered daughter who'll get married off to Kim's family in society's eyes, - after the marriage she'll be considered part of Kim's family, not Go. Ultimately, I see Go as an old big tree that belongs to time past. This was the time when gun had the power, while grandpa Go belong to old Joseon days when the pen had the power. He's planning to hold scholar's demo in the Hanseung in next episode, but it's destined to be futile.

Now, I do realize that all women,- yangban/noble, slave, butcher, etc.- have been undermined in the patriarchal society in Joseon; hence, AS may have more difficulty publicly declaring her position as a Joseon independence fighter.  However, one thing I would like to point out (which may or may not explain why some Soompiers and beanies from Dramabeans are frustrated with AS' current character trajectory compared to the AS fanboys- EC, DM, and HS), is that AS' grandfather, despite his apparent admonishment of AS' rebellious, "unladylike" streak, allowed her to be recognized as part of his family despite being born out of wedlock (with a woman whom he might not have approved of), receive rifle training from Seung-gu for over 10 years, and even just argue about whatever he says.  Not to mention that AS' grandfather does not appear to wield any (homicidal) tyranny over his servants/slaves like HS' grandfather has done.  In typical yangban households, AS would never receive any of the privileges and end being treated no better than the servants or slaves.  Furthermore, as a noblewoman, AS did not have to suffer extreme social injustices and mistreatment like HN, EC's mother (i.e., offered as a pawn by HS' grandfather for political purposes despite being married), and DM's mother (i.e., being raped while her butcher husband helplessly goes on with his work).

Not sure why this matters, but in typical yangban household, AS will receive better treatment than servants or slave. That's for sure. Doesn't mean that she's so special to have any power over yangban men. But, I 'm having no clue where you're going with this?

Given that there are 8 remaining episodes with 4 other major characters at hand (EC, DM, HS, and HN), only time will tell if AS will either renounce her fight for Joseon and flee from the Japanese rule for her personal safety and happiness (with EC, assuming he or both survive), or renounce her noblewoman upbringing and join EC, the RA comrades and others and fight for Joseon while staying there during the next 30-40 years Japanese oppression.

Leaving Joseon didn't mean to renounce the fight with Japan(consider Song Young who's in Shanghai). As I said, after 1910 RA massacre, remaining RA had to escape other countries to continue the fight. They had to because they lost all the grounds to fight in Joseon. So again, if she decides to stay in Joseon after 1910, she will be either dead or renouncing being RA.

As always, if I missed any other plot point or characterization, please let me know!  Darn these long posts! :sweatingbullets:

Always welcome the discussion!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, aurelionsol said:

@KDramaLogic

I respect you for shedding thoughts in this thread. I wonder whether to join the discussion or to put up a passive attitude. 

A little more and everyone will write such essays :lol:

Hi!  Given that KES has us viewers scratching our heads out (hopefully not our brains! :lol:) over each character's next motivation, move and/or fate in this rich, complex (and real-life tragic) historical movement in Joseon Korea (and (b)romance for those debating over the AS/EC vs. AS/DM vs. AS/HS vs. HN/DM vs. EC/DM/HS...), there are loads of topics, discussions, etc. to post that would yield nearly 2+ - page-long essays!!!  But that's what I admire about Mr. Sunshine, and I commend KES for being brave enough to make viewers pontificate over the causes, aftermath, etc. of the Joseon period right before the Japanese annexation and not just the usual romantic dynamic tropes.

2 hours ago, aurelionsol said:

Aeshin, Eugene and a few other characters are just a few interesting people in this period and are unable to stop Japanese domination in the region. The question is whether they will fight until the end and they will die buried in nameless graves or maybe they will fight until they realize that they have the right to live (after many terrifying experiences - war) and decide survive and they will choose different places (Japan, Joseon, America, China, Europe). 

Some soompiers do not notice that someone may want to live :)

I also respect your thoughts regarding the current and prospective outcomes of Mr. Sunshine.  First, I, as any other (non-sadistic) viewer, would want every character to survive and have a happy ending by the end of the drama.

That being said, we don't know at what period of the Japanese annexation of Joseon Korea KES will showcase at the drama finale.  What we know is that Japan colonization of Korea (and atrocities including the Comfort Women) will prevail for the next 30-40 years since the current timeline of this drama until U.S. launches the atomic bomb at Japan in 1945.  So, it's highly unlikely that any of these main characters will have any satisfactory happy ending in Joseon Korea just as Japan takes over.- that is, if KES chooses to end their saga here.  If they are shown as having stayed in Joseon Korea and fighting together against oppression, and we're flash-forwarded to the end of the Japanese rule, perhaps we may see a bittersweet ending of their 30-40-year-older selves (I think the youngest may be in their 70s! :confounded:) looking on at the ambiguous future of Korea and its citizens.

Still, I am not certain how other viewers, particularly Korean netizens, would respond to the possible trajectory of AS leaving behind Joseon Korea for her own safety and happiness (with EC, if he survives) in the U.S. or other countries.  The whole Japanese annexation of Korea is an extremely sensitive (and overlooked, no thanks to the Japanese government) historical subject that has vexed K-net viewers over the simplest instances of sympathy towards "traitors" including DM.  So for AS' character trajectory to go from "daring Joseon independence fighter at night but naive- yet rebellious- noblewoman with little or no true understanding about the everyday plight of disadvantaged Koreans (butchers, slaves, etc.) living in Joseon" to a "woman who used her noble status to flee Japan-ruled Korea and leave behind the disadvantaged Joseon people who will have to suffer the Japanese atrocities and oppression" may not sit well with K-nets.

Again, AS should be able to think about her future happiness and safety (like EC and DM did as children after witnessing their parents' cruel deaths) and not be burdened with shouldering the fates of Joseon people alone (with ambivalent help from the RA and her "fanboys" EC, DM, and/or HS).

At this point, I will wait until Ep. 17 and trust that KES will show scenes of AS truly weighing the consequences of remaining in and fighting for Joseon and its people, rather than just getting stuck defending her love for EC despite "irreconcilable" differences in social status.  We trust that AS will stop at nothing to affirm her relationship with EC; now we just need to see AS exert her evolved stance in her fight for Joseon independence.

If, by now, you would like to open a follow-up discussion and mention any plot or characterization I may have missed, please feel free to do so.  I welcome your insight, and I'll do my part in reassessing my points (if needed).  Again, I'm not likely to post often on Soompi; so I'll assume a more passive stance and see how the rest of Mr. Sunshine unfolds.  KES has surprised us with handling this historical matter; so I'll anticipate any unexpected outcomes of the characters' fates in the drama. :blush:

• Like 5

Wow the thread is on fire today..

I do enjoy reading all the post and for me this just shows that Mr. SUNSHINE is enjoyed and embraced worldwide not just in SK.. 

So Kudos to the cast and crew.. Special mention to the actor playing LWK.. man he is really really good he got my whole family  hating him :naughty:, that everytime  he is shown my niece always threaten to pluck his eyes out hahaha...

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

8 hours ago, miracle23 said:

@kansas424, you are new here, right? You may want to backtrack a bit. I have mentioned I won't be commenting much in Soompi. Nevertheless, thank you for the invitation. I believe in regard to AS's character development,  I echoed @KDramaLogic. I  have also written quite lengthy about it in DB. Feel free to drop by.

I am seeing it differently from many here as you can see from my earlier posts and that is how my mind works. I don't let my love for an actor or actress clouded my judgement in analysing characters and plots though it won't stop me from enjoying the beauty feast as well. I criticised DM before and I will do it again to him and any characters when I just can't relate.

I don't see Soompi any different than DB. So I will assume claim of pulling down any site than the other, a non existent. Please understand as I am understanding why people can't relate to other characters than AS or EC. Because we see and analyse things differently. You may analyse e.g. DM on one perspective. I analysed him by others. I have written lengthy before. My views stand that I find HN, HS, Hotaru and DM are more compelling to date. I came to Mr. Sunshine not for the main love story but for the RA, hence it should give you some idea where my stance is. It does not change since then. You may also deem them as a matter of preference in addition to different way of how I am viewing this drama. Cheers!

Appreciate the reply, it's kinda weird that you're interested in story of RA, but find HN, HS, DM more compelling to date? I mean, none of them have direct link to the RA story-line as much as EC-AS which branched off to Potter, Seung Guil etc. If any of you actually watched EP 15, the RA camp esp the Potter has started to waver in his belief of the cause he's been fighting after confronted with EC and AS. Perhaps you guys were expecting more action scenes which literally only show action and nth else.....

I just feel that there's no need to bring down a character just for your favorite sake. To go as far as to use the word " hate" ?  (referring to the comments on DB). It's an extremely unfair remark nevertheless, i have never seen the other camps openly slam Dong Mae? That might change if they happened to visit DB though. The afore-statement made does not apply for all DM fans.

This drama has immense depth, it's time to look beyond the shell of lust, and try to find inspiration from the story as a whole Majority would talk more about EC and AS, because they played the major part of the story. There's nothing to bitter about. 

1 hour ago, kansas424 said:

Appreciate the reply, it's kinda weird that you're interested in story of RA, but find HN, HS, DM more compelling to date? I mean, none of them have direct link to the RA story-line as much as EC-AS which branched off to Potter, Seung Guil etc. If any of you actually watched EP 15, the RA camp esp the Potter has started to waver in his belief of the cause he's been fighting after confronted with EC and AS. Perhaps you guys were expecting more action scenes which literally only show action and nth else.....

I just feel that there's no need to bring down a character just for your favorite sake. To go as far as to use the word " hate" ?  (referring to the comments on DB). It's an extremely unfair remark nevertheless, i have never seen the other camps openly slam Dong Mae? That might change if they happened to visit DB though. The afore-statement made does not apply for all DM fans.

This drama has immense depth, it's time to look beyond the shell of lust, and try to find inspiration from the story as a whole Majority would talk more about EC and AS, because they played the major part of the story. There's nothing to bitter about. 

Why can't I? What is so weird about not getting what writer-nim trying to explain in any particular characters? Didn't I say I view things on a different angle. If you disagree, I have no issue about it. I won't even question it. I am just reading all the thoughts here and keep them in mind even though I may not agree to them or not seeing what others see. Yes, I am interested in the RA. But I find it slows in progressing and in the mean time I found interest in other characters presented. The RA starts to waver in the 15th ep, that's how slow I feel the RA plot is in the drama. Is that so weird? *shrug* I don't even find anything weird about the many written views here. They are all good reading materials.

Yes, my favorites are definitely DM, HN and Hotaru, and of late - HS, and Go elder but does that mean they are the reason for me to, using your word, 'bring down' your favorite? No. They are not. Get that one thing clear. Though if it makes you feel better to assume as such. So be it. That is your right. I am not going to question your liking for what your views are. They are those who appreciate DM, definitely but there are also his critics. And I agree with points from both camps. Some in DB do not feel AS not without a reason, as indicated earlier. If you do not share their sentiments, that's up to you, I understand because she may be your favourite. Those regular commenters at DB, they don't question/critic others who don't share their views. They just discuss the characters and what they find lacking or would expect more. Don't you think it is unfair also to treat as if their views on any characters or plots are flimsy just because they don't feel AS as much as others? Heck, some even root for this girl up until recently and some even grow to love her and some even still hope to see the best coming up for AS. I am enjoying all these comments, immensely. I am not sure why these comments are lost in between the rage at DB. I am also seeing grate and hate noise of annoyance on too many DM-related notes, even when those notes are sandwiched in between other worthwhile reads/ appreciation of other elements/characters from the drama. Funny, that.

We want to continue to root for this girl. Unfortunately, till ep 16 the character, at least to me, not showing any growth on the RA front but more on personal front. But again, that is just how I see it, flawed or not, that is my perspectives. Feel free to disagree. My expectation on this drama may be different than others. Nobody is going to shove anyone's favorite down anybody's throat. As you said, 'There's nothing to be bitter about'. 

Cheers!

12 hours ago, charray said:

Dong Mae did help to uncover the plot to intercept the secret letters sent by Ae Shin’s Grandfather to all the scholars and informed Ae Shin’s Grandfather of this. He also killed the lackey of Hiyashi. 

Just for discussion purposes, the way I see it, the above actions of Dong Mae are driven or motivated by his desire to protect Ae Shin and her family as well as for his personal revenge. He is not driven by any grand or noble cause of saving Joseon or making Joseon a better place for people of all walks of life. Same can also be said of Eugene. 

Yes, DM is just trying to help AS's grandfather. Anything related to AS, he is trying help. But he is also trying to be very careful, that's why he went alone without his entourage and at night in order not to draw any attention. Otherwise AS family will be affected if neighbours see him entering the house in broad daylight.

He has no grudge against AS's family, in fact he knew very well he owes AS his life.

• Like 10

@AhphengOh! How much I loved that line from Eugene about wanting to see the blooming plum flowers all year around!! Your C-strip made me go and see that scene again. I also watched that scene in Episode 3 where they meet at the tailor's shop - even though  Ae shin was in her all encompassing hanbok, I did wonder why, when Eugene entered the room, she tried to cover her feet - going through the comments on your Instagram post I came to know about the significance of a man seeing/touching a woman's feet in that time period. Now ,after seeing Eugene touch her foot so reverently in E16,  it feels like such a natural progression to their relationship.

• Like 7

@mistergenie thanks for writing what been said on my IG here, finally we understood the significance of that scene and it just goes to show, Writer Kim has put a lot of thoughts on each scene. Imagine if we could understand Korean, probably we could enjoy this drama even more ! 

• Like 9
  • LOL 3

The abundance of vibrant blooming lovely plum flowers affected the actors, too. Here's a little message from Lee Byung Hun (currently in Venice) on his weibo today. If there's a better phrasing for the translation, please let me know. I'm neither a Korean nor a Chinese-speaking fan, just using the Google-translate to share the essence of the message. th_tq.gif Many thanks in advance.

August 29, 2018

A MR.SUNSHINE message from Lee Byung Hun via weibo

Source: LeeByungHun0712

미스터 션샤인과 함께, 오늘도 웃음짓는 하루 되시길. 

Have a happy Mr. Sunshine day of laughter.

和阳光先生一起, 度过开心的一天。  

Have a good day with Mr. Sunshine.

20180829lbh.jpg

Spoiler

20180829lbh1.jpg

Such gentle souls: Gunner Jang and Eugene :)

@Ahpheng Total Eclipse of Our Hearts, too true!! th_lmfao.gif  The lyrics are just perfect for those 3! th_thumbup.gif Definitely remember that song.. best of the 80s.. th_poster_oops.gif I'm too old.. th_sigh.gif

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mistergenie said:

Now ,after seeing Eugene touch her foot so reverently in E16,  it feels like such a natural progression to their relationship.

Sorry for cutting your post, but I wanted to undeline this sentence. I found very interesting the clarification about the meaning of touching a woman’s feet: it is  clear that this gesture is way more intimate than a mere kiss.

@rubie

So, Lee Byung Hun is here in Italy right now!  How I would like to jump  on train and get to Venice and ask him for an autograph! If only I had know it in advance!

• Like 4