[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

@inna75 thank you :) I forget about French Baker (small role) and he realy can be useful this time (Dong Mae).  

DM rescued by RA makes sense.

RA has many spies and information about the danger can be transmitted in various ways.

???

DM will probably kill the assasins when they want to make sure he's dead. Maybe they accidentally say something about Go family before brutal death. He probably knows that the French baker belongs to RA.

???

HS father is probably the police commandant (preview). It seems to me that thanks to him, EC will be talking in the police office with grandfather. He trying to leave the past behind them by making this huge repayment? (HS father and mother also seem to be victims of this tragic day, grandfather was evil man )
Grandfather Go is a stubborn donkey and will probably raise his voice and will  argue.

Eugene will let them out of arrest because the granddaughter is worried.

• Like 3

@kansas424 Many of us have a different point of view.

We exchange knowledge and thoughts more. (sometimes borrowing heading?) :lol: We try not to argue :)

We try to read between the words spoken by the characters (KES), the meaning of the scenes and we try to speculate what will happen next on the basis of the storyline and history.
Most of the main characters are gray - they have advantages and disadvantages, a sad past or they will have a sad future (few characters or all die?).
I myself try to understand the story told by writers. The series tries to tell us something and we have to draw conclusions after the last episode.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kingkong72 said:

I'm also wondering if Kim Tae Ri has done any kissing scenes in her previous dramas. There's about 8 more episodes to go but it looks like

@kingkong72 Not in drama, but in movie

she had kisses with another woman. So she has an experience ;-)

here ig video link

Spoiler

• LOL 3

I think she looks very different in western dress, very stunningly beautiful. hehe. I like her in Hanbok too. 

@kansas424She looks quite beautiful in both type of dresses. My personal opinion, but Ae shin looked the most stunning in that blue hanbok with that blue head covering and red scarf that she wore at the end of Episode 9. The very dress that is shown at the end of the Eushin video you linked.

Now they are hating on AeShin since they knew the ship of Dong Mae and Ae Shin isnt going to sail. 

Glad I stopped reading their reviews after Episode 6.

• Like 2

"Royal Investigation Bureau (Uigeumbu, 의금부, 義禁府) - It was an investigative and enforcement office under direct control of the king. It chiefly dealt with treason and other serious cases that concerned the king and served to arrest, investigate, imprison, and carry out sentences against the suspected offenders, who were often government officials."

I change my thoughts. 

HS father (he dont look like soldier :)) is only commander of the army garrison (looks like old Joseon military uniform but i cant find rank) in Hanseong or can be part Royal Investigation Bureau? :)

For fans who are still sad and depressed over the goodbye scene of Eugene and Ae Shin, here’s a tongue in cheek version that will have you rolling on the floor in laughter. No offence to anyone, it’s just for laughs. If you don’t want the scene to be ruined for you irreversibly, please do not click. Haha, you have been warned......:D:phew:

• Like 3
  • LOL 8

29 minutes ago, charray said:

For fans who are still sad and depressed over the goodbye scene of Eugene and Ae Shin, here’s a tongue in cheek version that will have you rolling on the floor in laughter. No offence to anyone, it’s just for laughs. If you don’t want the scene to be ruined for you irreversibly, please do not click. Haha, you have been warned......:D:phew:

OMG!! I am from India. Grew up watching and mostly hating Bollywood.  This had me roaring with laughter. Whoever is in charge of this instagram handle is a freaking genius and comedian. I wish I could send them virtual high fives for this tongue in cheek roast of Bollywood song sequences. 

Slightly Off Topic: The people who handle Netflix India's account are also comedic geniuses. Indians tweeps were recently trolling them for working with a critically acclaimed actress named Radhika Apte for their latest three original releases here in India namely Lust Stories, Sacred Games and Ghoul - she is quite a decent actress BTW. So, Netflix not only owned their decision but came out with a hilarious post about it. Here it is:

Radhika Apt Hai.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mistergenie said:

Now they are hating on AeShin since they knew the ship of Dong Mae and Ae Shin isnt going to sail. 

Glad I stopped reading their reviews after Episode 6.

Hi, new Soompier here!  I find Mr. Sunshine to be one of KES' best (if not the best), well-written, ambitious works.  And the cinematography and character backgrounds are beautifully-shot, well-paced, and on-point given the (inaccurate, according to K-nets) tragic historical context of the impending Japanese annexation and colonization of Joseon Korea.

Now, I'll concede that the early episode recaps found in Dramabeans contained rabid, pointless arguments about the whole "I can't support the AS/EC relationship due to the huge age gap" and/or "AS is a b**** for snubbing the more attractive, age-appropriate, brooding DM" nonsense.  I mean, AS (and KTR, for that matter) is an adult, not a minor; and EC (aside from a momentary relapse in almost proceeding to "do love with AS" out of revenge towards HS' family) has not shown any inclination of taking advantage of AS' feelings, status, etc.  And, ever since the tumultuous encounter between child AS and child DM, neither AS and DM really knew the other beyond their social class and occupation (AS as a  secret "Joseon independence fighter" at night; DM as a ruthless mercenary for the Japanese gang) to forge any real alliance or connection even before EC's return to Joseon from the U.S.  So it makes no sense that AS unprecedentedly harbor any romantic feelings for DM just because DM is a tragic character with a brutal family mistreatment at the hands of the Joseon people.  Likewise, DM's "attraction" (or obsession, more likely) for AS stems from a conflicted love/hate sentiment over AS' social background as a noblewoman and, until EC's arrival, did not factor  in AS's nightly fights for Joseon independence.  Right now, AS and DM still have yet to understand each other's stance in Joseon, whereas AS and EC have already established a mutual relationship after having gotten to know the other's past, background, etc.

That being said, I'm rather offended that the recent Dramabeans episode recaps, including Ep. 15, are being decried in this Soompi thread as a place for hating AS just because AS/DM won't happen.  Based on my viewings of those recent recaps, the ongoing frustration towards AS is not so much about the lack of AS/DM but more on AS's lack of evolved character growth/cause for fighting for Joseon independence compared to EC, HS, and even DM.

Think about this: EC, DM, and HS (and HN and even the treacherous Wan Ik) have  valid reasons for forsaking Joseon as their mother country, be it vile mistreatment by the Joseon people for their social backgrounds regardless of marital status (i.e., DM's butcher father could only continue working while DM's mother was being raped, while HS's grandfather planned on whoring out his slave,  EC's mother, for political advancements).  Yet, despite (or perhaps because of) these personal tragedies, EC, DM, and HS eventually saw Joseon as a nation with people whose lives are at stake and thus decided to stay in Joseon and protect Joseon from the (sadly inevitable) Japanese rule.  Sure, it mainly started with their interest in AS and her (ideal) cause for fighting against the Japanese rule and general social norms as a Joseon noblewoman.  But ultimately, EC, DM, and HS find their own ways of getting more involved with the Resistance Army's (RA's) movements.

But what has AS been doing, ever since EC called out on AS' naive stance on Joseon independence and asked her if her Joseon will fight for the rights of the butchers, slaves, and others of lower social status?  Not only has AS be more single-mindedly daydreaming about having some future with EC (to the point of running away with EC to the U.S. and leaving behind Joseon and its citizens she allegedly vows to protect), she has partaken in even less movements with the RA in fighting for Joseon (apart from almost following the potter Eun San's foolish orders in shooting down EC as a traitor to RA).  During those 10 years of training with Seung-gu (with the begrudging blessings of AS's grandfather despite his outward admonishments towards her acting "unladylike" such as breaking off the long-awaited family engagement with ES for potentially eloping with an American soldier/former slave EC), not once did AS venture outside to observe or understand the everyday lives of Joseon people who are not from the noble class- which, by the way, would have given AS more insight on why people like EC, DM and even Wan-Ik would dare turn their backs on Joseon out of trauma and/or resentment over their past misgivings in the hands of the Joseon people themselves.

If AS really were to run away from Joseon as a noblewoman, even if she partook in RA movements in Shanghai, China and other places outside Joseon, she would be nowhere close to further understanding the plight of the Joseon people of any social backgrounds who couldn't escape and must suffer the oppression and atrocities of Japanese colonization for the next 30-40 years, let alone figuring out how to repair Korea in a way that would protect the rights of all its citizens once the Japanese rule ended.  Yes, I get that, like EC and any other people/characters, AS should be able to think about her personal safety and happiness, even if it means escaping the imminent Japanese oppression in Joseon Korea.  However, the problem is that, from the very beginning, AS has been portrayed as both a loud advocate of Joseon independence who flat-out called DM a traitor for working with the Japanese gang, AND a noblewoman who, again thanks to her grandfather, never had to suffer the social injustices that HN, EC's mother,  DM's mother, and other non-noble women faced at the hands of either Joseon or Japanese people.  Since AS is the heroine we're supposed to root for (particularly in a highly sensitive historical context in Korea that Japan, to this day, continues whitewashing in their history textbooks), it would be highly hypocritical of AS to go back on her past actions/words and leave behind Joseon, especially when EC, HS, and even DM plan on staying in and fighting for Joseon.

I apologize for the long rant above.  I just wanted to point out that:

1. The majority of comments found in recent, not earlier, Dramabeans recaps of Mr. Sunshine that supposedly "hate" on AS are focused on their frustration over AS' lack of character growth/drive towards fighting for Joseon, not the "sinking" of the (non-existent) AS/DM ship.

2. At this point, AS really needs to reassess her stance on Joseon independence and think of Joseon as a nation with people of all backgrounds whose lives are at stake, not just some ideology, entity, or empty word she's learning in the English alphabetic system.  HS, DM, and EC have (more or less) moved forward from their past traumas in Joseon and sought reasons and ways for protecting Joseon (subconsciously) as a way of reconciling their past and ensuring a more hopeful future for the Joseon people and themselves; why can't AS do that too?

Please, KES, please have AS evolve both as a character and in her cause for Joseon independence, even if she were to stay in Joseon with EC, DM, and HS (and HN) as her compatriots during the Japanese colonization.  You have made EC, DM, and HS grow; now it's AS's turn.

BTW, if I missed out any plot points or characterizations, please feel free to correct me on those. :sweatingbullets:

Edited by KDramaLogic
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Kim Tae Ri's cosmetic brand OHUI sends a coffee & snack truck to the filming set last Sunday. As it was raining, the special hot treat truly warms the atmosphere. From the tags, co-stars LBH and KMJ were still filming that day.

Photos: coffeewang_on_the_block

Regarding DB, I was contemplating whether to continue highlighting the recaps here. But I'm hoping to be as open as possible and remembering that it used to be a great blog from a long time ago. It may not be the same impartial site but a recap by DB is quite a privilege of sorts for MR.SUNSHINE. Imaginable it's quite the task to recap an entire episode twice a week and another task to read through the replies but there are still good positive comments to read. Having been through SLS before, I understand the feeling watching a drama not to our preferences and the frustration of not enjoying it fully as we tend to see what we want to see. It's either we swallow or spit out the bitter aftertaste. It sucks having such a drama within a drama.. maybe that was what the writer intended all along. Strong reaction means it's shaping to be a drama well-written.. hopefully.

Perhaps, there's no need to highlight the DB recap here anymore. I think we all know it'll be posted soon after the weekend airing of the episodes. With just 8 more episodes to go.. like the kicka$$ ladies of Joseon and the 3 fanboys, along with the ever-growing RA community ready to defend the nation, let's do the same. 

Regarding the elusive "K".. the famously-overlooked alphabet throughout Ae Shin's lessons. Both LBH and KTR are movie actors, who definitely are as professional as can be in their daring roles.. but MR.SUNSHINE is set in a period modest setting.. some 100+ years ago. Maybe a peck of a kiss is all that we'll get but who knows what KES is thinking in EuShin's minds. I thought the longing, gazing and embrace have been well acted out by the star-crossed lovers. But we wouldn't complain if the letter K comes along.. eventually.

I hope no one will be too upset.. except to the misleading previews. Please consider this as ramblings of an old school fan-girl. th_bricks.gif

Oh @charray I never thought Lee Byung Hun would be 'in' a Bollywood movie th_lmfao.gif.. I watch them occasionally, not a big fan but the dances and songs are always so merry & more! Netflix admin sure knows how to rock & roll the boring weekdays.

@KDramaLogic welcome to the drama thread.. you brought a thought-provoking gift. th_wave.gifFans of MR.SUNSHINE really shining bright!

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

@KDramaLogic peaceful opinion :)

Aeshin grow up (she changed very much from 1st episode, especially recently in connection with RA and her relationship with EC). 

She will not change her rebellious character and certain habits so quickly and she needs more time. She already noticed that Eugene's decisions are thoughtful and calm and many other things but she fight for her man right now. Even DM works for her and I think Lord Go will discover and understand that she protects the family more than he does. Maybe even give her leadership because he getting old and not keeping up with the changes. Eugene become new leader RA when potter resign (many mistakes even though I like him in general). It is time for young people to defend their homeland and people they love.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, charray said:

Man, i hated this edit.......this was my favorite scene of the whole ep 16.....just feel not right.

1 hour ago, KDramaLogic said:

Hi, new Soompier here!  I find Mr. Sunshine to be one of KES' best (if not the best), well-written, ambitious works.  And the cinematography and character backgrounds are beautifully-shot, well-paced, and on-point given the (inaccurate, according to K-nets) tragic historical context of the impending Japanese annexation and colonization of Joseon Korea.

Appreciate the effort, but you should really take a look at the comment section to really understand why they hate on AeShin. 

I disagree about the lack of character evolution of AS that you were talking about. Regarding her RA involvement, you only need to watch EP 15 to observe her growth. The conversation between AS and Eun San, whereby she claimed she knew EC would never harm the RA and especially the potter. And even giving up the chance to take revenge on the man responsible for the death of her parent, to resolve the whole RA vs EC and Joseph's death saga. 

Watch the whole conversation between AS and her grandpa. How she refused to safeguard her own future by getting married. And when grandpa ask for Eugene, she stopped him from doing so knowing EC will get hurt by his grandpa with regard to his slave origin. Wow, a female character taking initiative to protect her love one? This is unlike any past korean drama, whereby woman has always been portrayed as weak and requires protection from their man.

She's readied to live her life alone than betraying her love for EC. 

Lots of review on AeShin has been written in weibo and heaped with praises. Which is why it shocked the hell out of me when AeShin was hated, like literally the only place you can find such comment, which happened to be the hideout of Dong Mae nation aka Dramabean. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mistergenie said:

I'm also wondering if Kim Tae Ri has done any kissing scenes in her previous dramas.

:neutral::neutral:

:neutral::neutral:

So, who here wants to tell @kingkong72 about The Handmaiden.

Son of a gun! That's her? Forgive my lack of knowledge. My secret is out. I'm really a newbie into this Korean dramas. Hahahaha! Now I have to signed off and watch that movie.:astonished: :bawling:

• Like 1
  • LOL 7