[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

Eventhough DM always threatens how he will kill EC, its clear that in him he recognised a brave and honest officer.

It seems that EC saw in DM what others havent.

The same courage and respect.

If DM will die it would be nice for it to be an honourable death, and that is a good death.

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

Eventhough DM always threatens how he will kill EC, its clear that in him he recognised a brave and honest officer.

It seems that EC saw in DM what others havent.

The same courage and respect.

If DM will die it would be nice for it to be an honourable death, and that is a good death.

Trio friends (informal team fool, moron, loser xD) is very funny but also interesting thanks to dialogues and actions. You can see and feel that they are very different as characters but we like them despite their disadvantages. 

Despite some reluctance (always one woman xD), they respect each other.

• Like 13

This is the first KES drama that I thoroughly enjoy. I loved the first 4 eps of Goblin but couldn’t finish it no matter how many times I tried. I couldn’t connect with the meandering plot and Goblin’s relationship with his bride.  It was so childish at times. What I don’t get is why Mr Sunshine doesn’t receive as much love from netizens as Goblin did (correct me if I am wrong but I often read Dramabeans reviews to filter bad dramas). It seems to me that not many Beanies have warm feeling about Mr Sunshine. I agree the drama needs some subtlety in certain scenes but I really like the character building, the romance and the story telling KES has created. So I am not sure what others see and I don’t? ☺️ anyway I guess I will frequent this forum for the next few weeks to share the love for Mr Sunshine.

• Like 10

@rubie not sure if they are in final stages of filming but when KES skipped the press conference, she did mention their gun licences were only valid till July, so they must have finished most of the gun related scenes.

Also too yeon seok, on top of his monthly coffee event, appeared at the back stage of a musical to help out his juniors so am really concern he is having too much time on his hands. But his sidekicks hasn't posted anything about their end of filming, so hopefully DM doesn't die too early.

@rocher22 I think EC should see in DM some similarity of someone who has to leave Joseon and survived under difficult circumstances. Although DM doesn't know about EC's background, with his street smarts, he should know EC is a good guy. DM generally admires effective and functional people vs guys like HS who sits around and do nothing much.:)

@seabysea18 historical dramas usually doesn't appeal to everyone, especially on beanies unless it is heavily centered on romance, so I wouldn't be too concern on that. I know of people who refused to watch a period drama.

Mr Sunshine is top in ratings and buzz in Korea with a lead far ahead of other dramas. So I think that says something.:)

• Like 12

@seabysea18

Well period drama is not everybody"s cup of tea.. Some beanies dont like it because of the cast and some dont like it because its not romantic enough for their taste and others just hate it for the sake of hating it hahaha..(there is even a petition of this show) .. But for me its their lose.. They miss out on the best KES drama ever written (my opinion) .. , the most kick richard simmons drama female lead AS & HN in KDRAMA .. So dont let it drag you down or affect your viewing experience .. And Welcome to the thread :D:blush:

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Seoulmemories said:

@rubie not sure if they are in final stages of filming but when KES skipped the press conference, she did mention their gun licences were only valid till July, so they must have finished most of the gun related scenes.

Also too yeon seok, on top of his monthly coffee event, appeared at the back stage of a musical to help out his juniors so am really concern he is having too much time on his hands. But his sidekicks hasn't posted anything about their end of filming, so hopefully DM doesn't die too early.

Ah! That make sense that they're hurrying with the (guns-related) scenes, it helps keep filming going forward with a dateline to follow. And now being August, they could have finished quite a lot of main scenes. Lee Byung Hun has a fan-meeting last week in Japan, by now he could be back filming in Nonsan(?) if required. But perhaps, most of the cast probably have more time than before. Filming could be ongoing for backups scenes (just in case), or more PPLs.. Eugene mentioned hamburgers to Ae Shin at the beach... oh dear, that would be Subway, no? :blink:

Also.. I just remembered, the English teacher posted her selfie with Kim Tae Ri a couple days ago saying that they filmed the scene back in April but it's only shown in episode 13. So, most likely the cast have pics to post but only waiting for the right moment. Especially true, after the revelation about Joseph's death, we now see more of his photos on IG. Toward the ending, everyone is probably being more careful not to leak the finale.

Hello @seabysea18, welcome to the thread. th_cheerleader.gifAs Ae Shin would loudly announce "COME HERE! COME HERE" .. we love discussing and sharing about MR.SUNSHINE here, so no more worries, ok. We all know what a rare gem the drama is and here we're lucky that we can happily appreciate the production.

Even from way before, there's always this excitement of reading drama recaps at well-known blogs.. because not all drama get the same privilege. But over the years.. many of the uplifting words & positive expression have started to weigh or cost too much to use. Direct and rough terms are more in fashion these days.

August 20, 2018

Mr. Sunshine: Episode 13

by dramallama Dramabeans.com

It seems that everyone’s fate lies in someone else’s hands. In Ae-shin’s case, her fate relies on those who know her secret and whether they choose to protect her. Dong-mae’s fate seems to have always relied on Ae-shin, but he willingly gives it up to her. Hina’s fate relies on her father’s reach, and she desperately tries to escape his grasp. Much like Hina, Hee-sung’s fate lies in the shadow of his father and grandfather, though he seems to suffer through the fate befallen on him. As for Eugene, his fate seems to rely on everyone—his saviors, his known enemies, his unknown enemies, and his admirer.
 sunshine-13-00102.jpg

EPISODE 13 RECAP HERE

• Like 7

Spoiler? Thougts

I watched the episode preview again. Lee Van Ik sent to Japan. Minister of Foreign Affairs?
Japanese soldiers on the square are facing the Japanese emperor -

inspection or demonstration of strength. An interesting trick on the part of writers to confuse viewers.

BGM: Greensleeves and OST 6 (Savina and Drone)

"Dear great and noble one

My son

Where ever you are

I will pray for you

And even on the nights when I dont pray

I hope 

that God is always with you"

When I started watching this drama, I did not have the tendency to re-watch any parts of the drama, mainly because I am more curious to know what happen next, rather than dwelling on the past scenes. If I need clarification of anything, I will just come to this site or any other sites discussing this drama, and I will get my answers (seriously you guys are daebak in clarifying things..hehehe). And if I missed any of those sweet scenes, I just open up my Insta and there will be floods of those scenes in my saved pages.

But...this particular scene (the scene when AS console EC and spoke of the words that Joseph wrote in his letter), I have re watched more than 10 times since yesterday. And every time, it never fail to make me cry. The combination of moments, background music and script is perfect (at least to me). I kept asking myself why did this scene affect me so much. Only after I listen to Park Hyo Shin's song today, I realised the real reason for my obsession of this particular scene..but again, this is my personal view only. There might be more interpretation of the scene, but as for me this is it:

I think KES embedded the whole letter in this scene to show how those words really impacted EC.. I think when Joseph address him as "the great and noble one", it is to tell EC that despite his Joseon status, he is also a NOBLE man..at least to Joseph and those people who knew him after he left Joseon. Even if it was not deliberate, and despite that his parents might not realise the meaning of his name in English, his fate is to become a noble person one day....even if it just in his name..and that will make him at par with AS regardless his birth status. And to me this is significant because up till that day, he always thought the gap between him and AS was due to his birth status as a servant and AS as a noble woman..but right then, right when AS repeat that word again to him and call him the "great and noble one", I think that moment makes him finally feel he could be the same level as her...because he is too a NOBLE man, by name and character... That moment hit his heart to the core, I think..

In addition, the one who repeats the sacred and soothing words of the one person whom he considered as a father, a savior is the woman whom he too considered as a savior of his heart, his sorrow. The one who makes him feel that status was never a gap when it comes to love. And when she said the word "my son", I think that reminded him of his mom..the one woman whom he cherished and right then, in front of him, another woman he will cherished for life,,

Then, when she said "I will pray for you", I think he felt that she is part of his prayer too..he realised how much her presence at that time meant for him..

Of course, on top of all those feelings mentioned above, the reason for his sudden break down when he listened to those words being repeated is because he suddenly realised he just lost someone so precious to him and miss the person very much but to me, apart from that, he was affected by the fact that the words were repeated by someone who is very precious to him too...

• Like 17

@charray wow she looks gorgeous... this is the scene from the next 2 episodes?

It is very difficult to find an explanation if they show this scene in next week.

Personally, I dont like japanese uniforms (they remind me of imperial uniforms from the Second World War) and it seems to me that this scene will happen a few years later. Japanese soldiers had black uniforms during the war with Russia in 1904.

Edit: 

AS could go to China - chinese military uniforms were similar (but this is the time Civil War in China and after the First World War)

• Like 4

@inna75, thank you for the well-thought write-up, such a lovely sharing.. everyone here writes so eloquently. :wub: It made a lot of sense, the meaning of Eugene's name especially.. what seems simple and straightforward brings a bigger & meaningful picture along with it if we stop awhile to ponder. All men and women are equal. It's just that in a lot of places and instances, people are differentiated by their own preferences. It's undeniable that Ae Shin's soft touch and warm words greatly comforts Eugene's heartaches just like his mother would. He lost both his parents much too soon but then he met Joseph and had his destiny seemingly changed for the better. 

@charray Wow.. great highlight, we've seen Ae Shin in western (male) suits and never in a western dress. Is she getting fashion tips from Hina or is she on a secret mission for RA? Those two soldiers, are Japanese, presumably? The uniform looks different than from what we've seen in the previous episodes.

Do Mi posted a nice MR.SUNSHINE slideshow on his IG. They started filming in late fall of 2017 and now it's fall again. Looks like they're ready to wrap things up?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2