[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

3 hours ago, mistergenie said:

@luna11 How does it make Ae Shin any less of a heroine if she thought about herself for once? The only life she has known is that of a fighter and her wishes have always been to burn like a  flame and wilt. For the first time in her life, she is daring to think of how her life can take another path - a path involving life with Eugene away from Joseon - and there is nothing wrong in that, it does not make her lesser. In fact, it makes her a normal human being with normal desires and wishes instead of a zealot who only longs to burn bright and end. She isn't the Joan of Arc of Joseon that you would demand nothing but sacrifice from her. There are tons of others fighting for the cause.  so it's not like the fate of Joseon rests on her shoulders alone.

@mistergenie I think the struggle is certainly there and it's very interesting for me to see. But this isn't a rom-com or a slice-of-life drama, so any of the mains choosing to leave Joseon for their own happiness (while human and understandable), takes away from the epic hero story that I personally am still expecting. It'd be like if I went into Harry Potter series expecting one thing and instead got a boy who ran away in the final battle at Hogwarts cause he really wanted to live happily with Ginny. I get it but my expectations are just different. Maybe that's not what KES intended after all. And I do think the drama has veered somewhat in focus since the original teasers and promos came out. But I would be very letdown if my 'rebel' heroes decided to abandon the cause. 

• Like 8

We are going to see parallelism in deaths coming up with Eugene griefing over the loss of his fathery figure Joseph and Ae Shin with her grandfather Lord Go.  

@charray  HS has promised Lord Go to look after Ae Shin and they haven’t yet called off their engagement.  I wonder when Lord Go dies, by custom and being the granddtr, Ae Shin will not inherit his wealth but I think Lord Go had chosen HS to be the heir.  I think he was testing HS out at the mtg and confirmed for himself HS does love Ae Shin a little.  I’m just looking ahead.  HS and Ae Shin relationship may progress to be like what he talked about in their tram meeting.  She may need to live in his shadow to fight another day especially with Japanese occupation coming up.  That’s a possibility which we don’t see her leaving to America with Eugene anytime soon.  She may feel the obligation to protect her family and heritage here a few more years,

• Like 6

Waitt, why no previews?!

But dang- Righteous Army just had to interrupt them at ‘that time’... goodness..

I guess next week we’ll get to see Ae Shin duke it out with Eugene? Lol I don’t think both will be able to take a shot though hahaha

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Alice_Mady said:

What happened at the last scene? can someone translate? What about preview???

Which part do you have question?

Great episode.  What sacrifices does each character have to make toward the great cause?  How Righteous is the fight in each person's eyes?  Eugene and Ae Shin's place is somewhere far from this.  

A few light moments in this episode.  The bromance is strong here. :lol:

Screenshot 2018-08-19 10.39.16

Screenshot 2018-08-19 10.40.33

Spoiler

Screenshot 2018-08-19 10.40.58

Not.

@Ahpheng you are going to have a field day with these scenes. LOL

Screenshot 2018-08-19 10.38.32

Spoiler

At that love struck moment when he means so much more to you than you care to admit ... hahaha

Screenshot 2018-08-19 10.38.08

Screenshot 2018-08-19 10.47.53

Credit: Netflix

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

17 hours ago, bedifferent said:

1) Letter is real.  LWI appears in front of court to claim the letter was fake to give the Emperor a way out of the situation, blackmailing him in a way?  It's also to assert his power and get the minister post.  Emperor is troubled that he caused the missionary's death.

Ding-Ding-Ding! Fooled by preview again. :(  WI is worse than I thought. And also I'm so disappointed by King-LJM in this episode. They were so powerless and aiming their guns to the wrong person. The letter wouldn't do anything anyway, it'll be soon US will have a secret pact with Japan exchanging Joseon and Philippine. And I hate when they way they had to sacrifice a person for the cause. LMJ showed that he doesn't trust EC, and doesn't seem to value him.

As expected, EC's investigation is cutting thru all lies like a sharp knife. I realized Eugene's truama when he told Dr. Matsuyama that Joseph is not someone who can be buried anywhere. One is to stop the possible treachery, but 2nd thought is, that this is trauma for Eugene, that he wasn't able to find where his parents'  were buried. He doesn't want that to happen again.

EC seems to go for WI separating him from Japan. I guess under the facts from history, that would be possible way to have revenge without changing history too big.... will KES satisfy me? After these 2 episodes, I think I'm getting bloodthirsty, very much so.

HS is here to bring light humor and I laughed when he hit EC's hand(and EC's face!) and their scene together, where EC was putting medicine on HS. HS was trying to look at EC with puppy dog eyes, and EC pushing HS's head away! so funny, and reminds me of interview clip where BYH wanting to do love line with LBH. 

So, we'll have big confrontation between Eunsan-Eugene-Aeshin? I 'm dying and this week will be torture for me.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

Ding-Ding-Ding! Fooled by preview again. :(  WI is worse than I thought. And also I'm so disappointed by King-LJM in this episode. They were so powerless and aiming their guns to the wrong person. The letter wouldn't do anything anyway, it'll be soon US will have a secret pact with Japan exchanging Joseon and Philippine. And I hate when they way they had to sacrifice a person for the cause. LMJ showed that he doesn't trust EC, and doesn't seem to value him.

Love your posts.  Agree to all points.

Hmmm, KES is on to something here adding this supposedly fictional (?) letter.  The betrayal by the Emperor will add one more reason for the US to side with Japan and eventually sign the pact.   We know Emperor was cornered by LWI, disregarding an American's life for his cause is a big betrayal and played into LWI's hands.  It would just isolate the Emperor even more from the last ally that he hoped to get help from.  I wonder if LJM's pride and nationalistic view hurt him more than he realized. The same is said with Lord Go who declined Eugene and his troop's protection.  This mistrust of the American by the ministers could be the residual of the Ganghwa conflict in the beginning of the drama.  Very tragic.

At least we know minister Song Young is in Shanghai hiding out with the resistance.

• Like 3

I think that the conflict became more compelling with the last episode: it is about Eugene getting into conflict with the Righteous army because of a noble cause: the clearing of Joseph's name. Still, it is not clear to me why the advisor is so convinced that Eugene will uncover the activities of the Righteous Army. 

The story with the letter contains a few important elements:

1. It seems that LWI does not fully trust his servant, the guy who is the husband of AS's cousin, for he told him that the letter is a fake.

2. LWI's letter can affect four things, 3 of them were named by the Japanese minister, the fourth one is unknown: it can be either solving the problem with GDM or the problem with AS's grandfather. Or maybe both, since LWI seems intent to find a husband for Hina. Or maybe something different...

The emperor's decision might not the best one. Strategically, he went for a short-term gain (avoiding the collusion with the Japanese for some time and covering for the Righteous army) instead of a long-term one. But his decision costs him three things:

1. He brought an enemy closer to him.

2. He entrusted his fate in the hands of LWI, who has the letter but can make it public at any time.

3. He alienated Eugene, who might not have been on his side, but at least he could have been.

There might be a fourth aspect: The emperor chose realpolitik over being sentimental about Joseph's death. But in a time that requires unity of all classes, he kind of sent a  bad message: people who help Joseon are dispensable, especially if they are not us. Unfortunately, not many people are like the emperor or his advisor, that is, aristocrats. (will AS's grandfather be also a victim of the emperor's choice? or is this only Eugene's perception?)

The meeting between the potter and the adviser is interesting because it hints to the power and class dynamic in the group. While the advisor talks about the audacity of Eugene to refuse the offer of the emperor, the potter thinks of the good deeds Eugene did.  Moreover, in the meeting, both the potter and his companion stayed with their heads bowed, which seems to suggest that the fighters for freedom are not equal with the advisor.

If this scene shows indeed the power dynamic in the group, then Eugene might have a chance to convince the potter to be more careful in the dealings with the emperor. Eugene should have taken the Gunner with him, for neither of them is a fan of the political fights of the aristocrats.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Hmmm, KES is on to something here adding this supposedly fictional (?) letter.  The betrayal by the Emperor will add one more reason for the US to side with Japan and eventually sign the pact.   We know Emperor was cornered by LWI, disregarding an American's life for his cause is a big betrayal and played into LWI's hands.  It would just isolate the Emperor even more from the last ally that he hoped to get help from.  I wonder if LJM's pride and nationalistic view hurt him more than he realized. The same is said with Lord Go who declined Eugene and his troop's protection.  This mistrust of the American by the ministers could be the residual of the Ganghwa conflict in the beginning of the drama.  Very tragic.

I don't think emperor has any ally left. Russia will be forced out after Russia-Japan war. US was already ignoring his request for help thru Allen,(that was why Allen was in Shanghai in the first couple episodes, I remember?) Kyle knew about Philippine and said US will not  interfere matter of Joseon. And this didn't happen over just one day, I think Joseon failed to read political power structure of foreign countries and LJM is not an exception(Unlike Seungu, I don't think LJM has direct mistrust after Gangwha conflict. They were asking for help from US anyway). Ironically, they really need a best person for minister of diplomacy but there's no good candidate.

At the same time, as you said this event just showed that king is powerless and someone who cannot be trusted. Who'll help the king knowing this? But... looking at it, it seems that WI can do anything in Joseon and nobody can hold him responsible. Basically majority of gov under WI's hire, and only JM left at king's side. Police chief and post office chief are also under WI's control. that reminds me, would Ilsik be safe if he tries to send telegram to Eugene? 

What can Eugene do to hold WI responsible for Joseph's murder?

• Like 7

@Emily Wong I didn't recognize her (it wasn't easy for me to do, with the way she was filmed), but from what HS said it's one of the ladies he gambled with before, so she might have been shown a few episodes ago, when we see him at the table with 4-5 ladies losing money... And also from what he said, noticing she has strong arms and by the way she's holding him, I think he hinted at the fact that he can tell she's a trained fighter, and therefore probably belongs to some of the current secret organizations...  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, tzupi said:

Still, it is not clear to me why the advisor is so convinced that Eugene will uncover the activities of the Righteous Army. 

The story with the letter contains a few important elements:

1. It seems that LWI does not fully trust his servant, the guy who is the husband of AS's cousin, for he told him that the letter is a fake.

2. LWI's letter can affect four things, 3 of them were named by the Japanese minister, the fourth one is unknown: it can be either solving the problem with GDM or the problem with AS's grandfather. Or maybe both, since LWI seems intent to find a husband for Hina. Or maybe something different...

Hi there~~

1.  Sorry, I read the scenes between LWI and AS' cousin differently.  When the cousin was eager to march into the palace with the letter to blackmail the Emperor, LWI was much smarter.  He understood that entering with the letter claiming it's from the Emperor would just self-incriminate him as Joseph's murderer to eventually be prosecuted/eliminated by the Emperor.  He basically told his assistant "Why would I want to announce that I killed the missionary?"  He went on to tell the man his plan by saying the letter is fake.  AS' cousin was just too dense to understand him.  I think this scene was just to illustrate the man's stupidity.

2.  The Japanese minister said LWI holds power over GDM, Allen, the emperor of Joseon, and the minister post.  Which is four already right? LOL  Anyway, I am thinking the fourth one could be Eugene.  Right now, Eugene doesn't know Emperor sent Joseph on a mission that leads to his death.  Unleashing the fact that the letter exists will bring Eugene to confront the Emperor +/- LJM, further eroding any trust the Americans have with Joseon.  The other person could be Lord Go whose innocence depends on the letter existence.

AGB Nielsen Ratings:

Episode 1   7/7/18       8.852%

Episode 2   7/8/18       9.691%

Episode 3   7/14/18    10.082%

Episode 4   7/15/18    10.567%

Episode 5   7/21/18    10.835%

Episode 6   7/22/18     11.713%

Episode 7  7/28/18      11.114%

Episode 8  7/29/18      12.330%

Episode 9  8/3/18        11.695%

Episode 10  8/4/18      13.534%

Episode 11  8/11/18    12.792%