[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

@rubie I hope she keeps the gloves , probably too big for her but as a keepsake since she returned the musical box, but Eugene has nothing of hers :tears: . If you wanna know what to expect for Ep 12, read the spoiler. 

Spoiler

Netflix replied one of my IG followers regarding this weekend's Ep "We're Pretty sure you'll be smiling by Ep 12"  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, mistergenie said:

Given the time period that this drama is set in, I am not expecting much PDA at all. In the absence of PDA, any and all gestures, looks, facial expressions etc etc - the little things - these are the ones I look out for. Eh! Who am I kidding? I would still go gaga over any and all kisses.

One thing though, I am happy that so far there hasn't been any forceful (without consent) kissing of the female lead by any of the male leads, specially the secondary leads. kdramas have an affliction when it comes to that. 

Speculation about  tonight's duel?  I think it will end in a scenario where one of them sees the other's face(and if that happens, I am leaning towards Kudo Hina seeing Ae Shin's face) or maybe both see each other's faces. Either way, the prospect of a good 'sismance'  taking shape is not out of the question. What do you guys think? 

Don't you worry my dear... KES has written this drama with focus on developing the relationship between AS and EC from the beginning with romance as her focal point in this drama unlike tree with deep root where, though Jang hyuk and the actress are a couple and their love remain strong till her dying moment, the focal point of that drama is on the development and introduction of hangul. Hence, we see less skinship. I expect we will get those PDAs later on. May not be as much but those anticipated hugs, the kiss the deep longing gaze in each other eyes while the guy is holding the girl's face etc for sure will grace our screen. I am being optimistic because, well, it's KES! Hehehe....

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, Ahpheng said:

@rubie I hope she keeps the gloves , probably too big for her but as a keepsake since she returned the musical box, but Eugene has nothing of hers :tears: . If you wanna know what to expect for Ep 12, read the spoiler. 

Hide contents

Netflix replied one of my IG followers regarding this weekend's Ep "We're Pretty sure you'll be smiling by Ep 12"  

Oh wow- can I see where they wrote that?

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote IGs! Thanks! :)
  • Like 1

I have been absent from soompi for years.  ­This is my first post in this thread.  Really enjoy watching this big production, interesting story and great acting.  

Last year, I read an interview of PD Lee Eung Bok talking about Goblin in a Japanese magazine.  In the same interview, he also answered a few questions about Mr Sunshine and his views on cinematography.  Therefore I pay more attention to his breathtaking cinematography this time.

Below is the translation of his answers about Mr Sunshine.  I know it is very late but I still would like to share his interview here.

Q1:  Drama “Mr Sunshine” will be broadcast in 2018, this is the third time you are working with writer Kim Eun Seok.   What areas do you two have in common?

PD Lee:  Rather than saying areas we have in common, I would say Writer Kim is amazing.  First of all, I like how cool Writer Kim is.  Besides the male and female leads, whatever characters they are, I like how she presents us the essence of these characters in her writing.  Not only she writes handsome protagonist and beautiful heroine, she also emphasizes their honour and value.  Like Yoo Si Yin played by Song Joong Ki in “Descendants of the Sun”, due to his strong commitment and sense of duty, he doesn’t care what other people say, he just does what he thinks he has to do.   I really like this value, that’s why I was so moved after reading the story.

Q7:  What do you think after trying out filming period drama?

PD Lee: Actually, my debut work (2009) and the co-produced drama “Reputable Family” (2010) are period dramas.  Whatever dramas I produce, I want to beautifully depict the open space, such as a buckwheat field, a road and whatever it is.  All the open spaces we are living in have colours and personal reminiscences are in there too.  When the sun is shining brightly, we can see everything is so beautiful.  If we add in some reminiscences, the open space becomes more beautiful.  Same for period drama, as I wanted to film the scenes beautifully, I worked really hard.

Q24:  Please tell us something about your new project “Mr Sunshine”.

PD Lee:  Its story is in-between “Goblin” and “Descendants of the Sun” with some historical background. Background, time and protagonist.  The story is about Righteous Army between 1890 to 1905.  During Shinmiyangyo in 1871, a child travelled to the US on a war ship and became an US Army, then he returned to Joseon, the country that had abandoned him.  Story starts from there.  He encounters the daughter of a noble family and both fall in love.  This new project has naturally drawn much attention after Goblin.  I also need to earn money, so I must hurry up working on this project (Haha).  Writer Kim had previously written part of the story and originally the protagonist of the story was a foreigner but it has already been changed.   Because Goblin was a huge success, we wondered if we should invest more on this new project.  Financially and physically, if we don’t do it now, we won’t do it in future (laugh). We hope this new drama will be watched by viewers globally (laughing but embarrassed).  We are currently looking for secret and beautiful places and hope we can capture them in our camera.

Q25:  What is the progress of production?

PD Lee:  We have already filmed the scenes of the characters’ childhood.  Casting of actors is also complete.  This is the best casting.  They are all busy actors or actresses.  Even the synopsis is not finished, they have accepted our offer.

Q26:  I heard many people voiced out their worries of casting Lee Byung Hun

PD Lee:  I am sorry to hear that.  For me, I always draw a line between private and public.  I think I can voice out my personal opinion here.  Because this is about work, we should play fair.  I believe actor Lee Byung Hun has the ability to act out his character that we request.  I am so certain that he can do well.

After reading above Q&A, I made below comparisons:

Elements of “Descendants of the Sun” +  Elements of “Goblin” = Elements of  “Mr Sunshine” 

Go Ae Shin in Mr Sunshine Vs Yoo Si Jin in Descendants of the Sun

Go Ae Shin in Mr Sunshine

Character - Charismatic, righteous and lovely 

Who is she - Member of Righteous Army

What does she do - fights to rescue her own country from foreign invasions, runs on roof tops to carry out her missions

What does she do to her comrade - Points gun at her male comrade whom she requested to do “Love” with

When in action - Nimble and decisive, Ae Shin jumped off from Eugene’s hotel room balcony on 3rdfloor of Glory Hotel after dating Eugene in ep 9

Yoo Si Jin in Descendants of the Sun

Character - Charming, righteous and funny

Who is he - Captain of Special Force Team

What does he do - fights to rescue his fellow countrymen, carries out his missions anywhere including roof top of the building

What does he do to his love interest - Uses gun to love shoot the face of his beautiful target

When in action - Nimble and decisive - Yoo Si Jin jumped off from the window on the 2ndfloor of the military camp base building to catch Kang Mo Yeon who was embarrassed and ran away from him after both heard her love confession recording mistakenly played by Dr Daniel in ep 9

Eugene Choi in Mr Sunshine Vs Kim Shin in Goblin

Eugene Choi in Mr Sunshine

Who is he - Captain of US Marine Corps

What is his background - Parents were killed by the noble family, once lived in North America, he was  named Eugene which means great and noble

Character - Can be funny and sarcastic when he is with Gu Dong Mae and Kim Hee Sung

What does he do – Uses gun to assassinate his target from roof tops, draws a sword to threaten and warn the minister who caused his parents death.

Impression - When things go south, America will say he is from Joseon while Joseon will say he is an American.  He is nothing but a lonely foreigner

What does he to his love interest - Protects his woman

Kim Shin in Goblin

Who is he - A General in Joseon

What is his background - He and his whole family were killed by the king, once lived in North America, living an eternal life as Goblin aka Guardian: the Lonely and Great God

Character - Can be funny and sarcastic when he is with Grim Reaper aka Wang Yeo

What does he do -  Stands or sits on rooftop of the building to observe the world and meddles with human life, draws his sword to strike the minister who killed him and his family

Impression - He is neither alive nor dead, always a lonely soul

What does he to his love interest – Looks after her like a guardian 

I haven’t heard much about the global reception of this drama, just hope this star writer and producer partnership can continue and they will produce more amazing dramas for us viewers to watch in future.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, mistergenie said:

Given the time period that this drama is set in, I am not expecting much PDA at all. In the absence of PDA, any and all gestures, looks, facial expressions etc etc - the little things - these are the ones I look out for. Eh! Who am I kidding? I would still go gaga over any and all kisses.

One thing though, I am happy that so far there hasn't been any forceful (without consent) kissing of the female lead by any of the male leads, specially the secondary leads. kdramas have an affliction when it comes to that. 

Speculation about  tonight's duel?  I think it will end in a scenario where one of them sees the other's face(and if that happens, I am leaning towards Kudo Hina seeing Ae Shin's face) or maybe both see each other's faces. Either way, the prospect of a good 'sismance'  taking shape is not out of the question. What do you guys think? 

Thoughts/Predictions

AS+Hina duel Glory Hotel (night - all guests sleeping)

AS lose mask because Hina hit her in the shot leg (she has not recovered yet) and uses this opportunity and see AS face.

EC appear and stop this fight. Hina will be confused or she will want to regain respect in the eyes of the EC and also show that she can fight and is great fighter (competes with AS and want EC because she likes him) as a form of flirting and take off mask.

OffTopic: 

I think I've found a soul mate who also likes predictions :)

• Like 4

Can't read Korean and didn't watch the show but isn't this the similar parody that @charrayposted yesterday, the fan artwork? Looks like tvN is keeping track of MR.SUNSHINE's feedback and the fanciful fan artwork. :D

CHOSUN 101 th_note.gif

• Like 2

4 hours ago, manyearsago said:

Below is the translation of his answers about Mr Sunshine.  I know it is very late but I still would like to share his interview here.

Q1:  Drama “Mr Sunshine” will be broadcast in 2018, this is the third time you are working with writer Kim Eun Seok.   What areas do you two have in common?

PD Lee:  Rather than saying areas we have in common, I would say Writer Kim is amazing.  First of all, I like how cool Writer Kim is.  Besides the male and female leads, whatever characters they are, I like how she presents us the essence of these characters in her writing.  Not only she writes handsome protagonist and beautiful heroine, she also emphasizes their honour and value.  Like Yoo Si Yin played by Song Joong Ki in “Descendants of the Sun”, due to his strong commitment and sense of duty, he doesn’t care what other people say, he just does what he thinks he has to do.   I really like this value, that’s why I was so moved after reading the story.

Q7:  What do you think after trying out filming period drama?

PD Lee: Actually, my debut work (2009) and the co-produced drama “Reputable Family” (2010) are period dramas.  Whatever dramas I produce, I want to beautifully depict the open space, such as a buckwheat field, a road and whatever it is.  All the open spaces we are living in have colours and personal reminiscences are in there too.  When the sun is shining brightly, we can see everything is so beautiful.  If we add in some reminiscences, the open space becomes more beautiful.  Same for period drama, as I wanted to film the scenes beautifully, I worked really hard.

Q24:  Please tell us something about your new project “Mr Sunshine”.

PD Lee:  Its story is in-between “Goblin” and “Descendants of the Sun” with some historical background. Background, time and protagonist.  The story is about Righteous Army between 1890 to 1905.  During Shinmiyangyo in 1871, a child travelled to the US on a war ship and became an US Army, then he returned to Joseon, the country that had abandoned him.  Story starts from there.  He encounters the daughter of a noble family and both fall in love.  This new project has naturally drawn much attention after Goblin.  I also need to earn money, so I must hurry up working on this project (Haha).  Writer Kim had previously written part of the story and originally the protagonist of the story was a foreigner but it has already been changed.   Because Goblin was a huge success, we wondered if we should invest more on this new project.  Financially and physically, if we don’t do it now, we won’t do it in future (laugh). We hope this new drama will be watched by viewers globally (laughing but embarrassed).  We are currently looking for secret and beautiful places and hope we can capture them in our camera.

Q25:  What is the progress of production?

PD Lee:  We have already filmed the scenes of the characters’ childhood.  Casting of actors is also complete.  This is the best casting.  They are all busy actors or actresses.  Even the synopsis is not finished, they have accepted our offer.

Q26:  I heard many people voiced out their worries of casting Lee Byung Hun

PD Lee:  I am sorry to hear that.  For me, I always draw a line between private and public.  I think I can voice out my personal opinion here.  Because this is about work, we should play fair.  I believe actor Lee Byung Hun has the ability to act out his character that we request.  I am so certain that he can do well.

Welcome back! We are having a blast here discussing and sharing about Mr Sunshine. Hope to see you more in this thread! 

Thank you for sharing the interview with PD Lee. Mm..... it is interesting to know that Kim Eun Seok had written part of this story previously but with protagonist as a foreigner.   

Totally agree with PD Lee that he has assembled the best casting for Mr Sunshine. Must also say that his efforts to find secret and beautiful places to film had paid off as I have only heard praises about his cinematography and how beautifully filmed are those scenes in the drama.

Hope that PD Lee will get the due recognition for his work for Mr Sunshine. Not sure if there are any awards for best producer or best director in Korea but hope he can get one of those.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Ahpheng said:

Hide contents

I may sound too pessimistic but I just don't trust these generic statements from social media accounts of shows.

Spoiler

"We're pretty sure you will be smiling by E12" 

Well, it can be as simple as some comedy involving Kim Hui Seong or even Gwan Su, the interpreter that makes us smile. And the instagram account would still be technically right - the most annoying kind of right. 

So far, the Eugene-Ae Shin encounter followed the path of OPTIMISTIC VIEW (suggested by @mistergenie) .. phew! And with a little arm-twisting, EC managed to get the Chaperons (AS' right & left hand men) to give Ae Shin the music box, perhaps as a farewell gift(?).:wub: Eugene probably thought that AS needed it more.

At Hotel Glory, Do Mi's sister became the intruder's bait but she already trusted Eugene with her life and that, knowing English proved helpful to both of them.th_rbhcool.gif Ae Shin x Hina's sword fight, a female version of Storm Shadow x Snake Eyes fight, Joseon style. 782.gif

Lots of action, tears and laughs too in ep11 indeed! But the highlight.. is Eugene taking a Hangul writing test under the strict teacher Do Mi's watchful eyes but the sweet boy proved to be such a considerate soul, quickly pretending that he's the one learning to save Eugene from being found out by Gwan Soo. :P

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

I have already steeled myself for a sad E11(which I will watch in a few hrs) but I am way too curious about one thing and that is the preview for E12 - so, those who watched it, what can you say? More angst to come? Or a hint of optimism in it? 

• Like 2