[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

23 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

While waiting for episode 10, here is the lyric interpretation for 5th OST, "Good day" from MeloMance, interpretation attempt is done by me. Apologize for the interpretation quality.

Silent breeze brings

you to me

So this is how you land

in my mind quietly

Is it a deep sleep or a dream

All world is you

Even a falling light hurts

would you know

It's a first time, such a good day

good day to hold you in my eyes

Fly in, shinning

Bloom In my mind, in my heart

like flowers

It's not just a tear

that I can hide nor quit

Such a long, cold and sad story

Hope to embrace you in the end

Holding tight not to fall apart

you with my hands

Fly in, shinning

Bloom In my mind, in my heart

like flowers

Beautiful, brilliant darling stay lovely

keep walking

The road you are on be always bright

Wishing from here

Cry for the first time, with you

Missing you, longing for you

only because of you

only for that

Thank you for the translation. It is a beautiful song which goes well with scenes of Ae Shin and Eugene moments together. I really like it. But the lyrics are so sad. Look like they will be separated for quite some time from the lyrics. I am trying to avoid the spoilers on social media before the episode drops on Netflix at 11.00pm KST.  :sweatingbullets:

• Like 7

I can understand the separation for now. They need it. BOTH of them.

Eugene is clearly still affected by his past as a slave. He needs to first come to terms with the fact that being a slave wasn’t a choice. And yes the noble class were harsh to them but not everyone was/is. (eg. Ae Shin’s grandfather) he also needs to accept that he is now a free man. And the only person holding him back is himself.

Ae Shin, on the other hand, needs to learn the harsh truth about the different social classes and how the lower ones were and still are mistreated and discriminated against. Both of them need this space to completely understand how they feel and the turbulence of how society works at the time.

And it’s only the 10th episode now, we’ve got 14 more :) 

ALSO what comes after H-Hug...??? :w00t:

• Like 13
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, andy78 said:

i haven't watched ep 10 yet but it seems will be a sad one...

i hope you are right...i so dislike his familly members...

Ah, Lee wan ik..

I dislike him too..

He is a butcher's son, so i think life is very hard on his early years. 

But, DM's mother, a butcher's wife, tell DM to go afraid people will kill his son, but LWI by his own will and for benefit sold his own daughter knowing how hard life can be for a joseon girl in japan.

I can't even imagine how much she is raped(even wife and husband need consent of each others), tortured and scared. 

Well, even the one who sold his country give the benefit to their kids and family, i wouldn't expect anything from someone who sold his flesh and blood.

• Like 1

Although EC hinted that they have to go separate ways once he tells AS his story, deep down he really really hope that won't happen. Instead of him letting go, it's AS making the decision.. just like she wanted to start 'Love' before? :mellow:

What a tortured soul he is.. she left the music box without saying anything.. :tears:

However.. Eugene is starting to learn Hangul.. will he really leave Joseon? Maybe he'll stay on but just not meeting Ae Shin anymore.

Read on twitter the mention of time-jump.. they can't possibly do that in this drama, right.. right? :blink:

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

Even for that brief moment, AS made EC smiled, grinned and laughed a lot. :D No restraint.. just blissful happiness.. for a moment they shared together.

Anyway..  absence makes the heart grow fonder.. maybe AS will learn proverbs after finishing the alphabets. ^_^

In the meantime.. Kyle is back! :lol: Good timing.. because now Eugene needs his BFF(?) 

• Like 6

Eugene finally got his revenge and closure to his parents' tragedy (although he still doesn't know their exact graves). At the same time, he got rid of that heavy burden keeping the secret document.. and the decision taken, he chose not to harm Joseon. Despite his feelings growing up away from Joseon, thinking how to ruin it.. he still cares.

But the separation with Ae Shin proves to be a bigger heartache.. and much harder to handle. What will be his ultimate decision.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I try to not stay ship focused because the show has so many other interesting things than that but I liked the scene we got between DM and HK in episode 9. I mean, the face he made when he opened the door and saw her taking a bath :3 

hn_x_dm_ep_9_mn_redo.jpg

And I like that we learn new things about Hina each time they have a scene. And DM seems so used to walk into her room and chat with her...

Also I wonder what means the use of mirrors during their scenes so if someone has an explanation I'll be happy to hear it ^^

Bonus:

hina_x_dm_ic.jpg

hndm_ic3.jpg

I tried to do some icons, I'm not really used to do it and my caps weren't top quality but I tried. I love this ship so I couldn't help myself :blush:

• Like 8

A very sad episode indeed.

Although Eugene had some inkling of how she would react, it still hurt him a lot when he actually saw the look on her face and when she actually turned away from him. And then she returned the music box to him, he got her answer and it was her goodbye. In the end, he asked for a transfer to Tokyo or Shanghai to be away from Joseon due to his heartbreak. 

And Ae Shin? She talked to Seung Gu about it and he went down on his knees to beg her to forget about Eugene. He said it was impossible as it would be against the moral boundaries and Eugene would be punished for that. (Is this for real during those times? Or is it just a drama story? Didn’t know that a person of low birth would be punished for being together with a noblewoman. Or did I interprete wrongly or the subs are off? Maybe someone can confirm what Seung Gu actually said to Ae Shin.)

And Seung Gu also told Ae Shin what Eugene had done including saving So Ae and killing Lee Se Hun and returning the bank note certificate to Joseon but not to let him know that she knew.

It is so sad that Eugene did so much for Joseon but he could not find the acceptance that he craved for from one Joseon person that he cared for.  

But I am glad that he found some acceptance from the potter (forgot his name). The potter acknowledged what Eugene had done and what he had done had more than repaid whatever kindness that the potter had shown to him. And Eugene really broke down and wept when he heard these words. Like finally there is some acknowledgement and acceptance of him. 

Lee Byung Hun’ s acting is really amazing here with his heartbreak and sadness. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

The talk between Hina and Jung-moon(King's royal vassal) really tells what Eugene is.

"When things go south, America will say he's from Joseon,

while Joseon will say he's an American.

He's nothing but a lonely foreigner"

Eugene did ask for a transfer, but King wants him for the military school. Jungmoon is trying to find the pull for Eugene. Now he knows about Anpyung and Aeshin. so in next episode, JM does something and change Eugene's mind?

1 hour ago, charray said:

And Ae Shin? She talked to Seung Gu about it and he went down on his knees to beg her to forget about Eugene. He said it was impossible as it would be against the moral boundaries and Eugene would be punished for that. (Is this for real during those times? Or is it just a drama story? Didn’t know that a person of low birth would be punished for being together with a noblewoman)

Eugene is an american marine captain, so there's a chance he may not be killed, but if it was just an ordinary slave, yes. And the rumors that will tarnish AS's name will be unbelievable. Only option left to AS and EC would be running away from the country. Can someone like AS do that? I don't think so.

I liked three men combination whenever they were together. HS was a whoot. 2 men trying to see what other men knew and Eugene had better hand so keeping moot :D And DM is a moron for love. Smiling even though you were just slapped, just because she put the words live and you in one sentence. 

And this big miscommunication between Eugene and Aeshin. I'm so sad for Eugene. Both of them are direct people, why don't you meet in person and talk! no unsaid word please :'( 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I don't understand why is everyone so criticizing of AS's actions. I think it's too soon to judge her. For me it's apparent that this is her way of protecting Eugene. I don't see her as one of those people who would be prejudiced against someone's origin. And her talk with the teacher is another prove of that. She was considering her chances of staying with Eugene but opted against it after her teacher's reasonings that their relashionship would bring more harm to Eugene 'cause that's the world they are living in. And she doesn't want to see him hurt any more than he already is.

Plus AS now realizes that Joseon she protects is the Joseon that took away Eugene's family. And staying beside him means inevitably entangle him in its affairs which is not something he wants to do nor something she can ask of him.

That's why she decided to end it for both of their sakes.

• Like 12

Episode 10 has so much feels to it.  I feel so sorry for AS.  She had to take her master’s advice to protect EC and i also think that EC’s question about what she is fighting for made her waver a little bit.  The scene where she was talking to her parents broke my heart.   

:tears:

I want that Lee Wan-Ik to disappear ASAP.  Thank goodness the emperor is not gullible, at least at this moment  :mellow:

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, juju84 said:

I don't understand why is everyone so criticizing of AS's actions. I think it's too soon to judge her. For me it's apparent that this is her way of protecting Eugene. I don't see her as one of those people who would be prejudiced against someone's origin. And her talk with the teacher is another prove of that. She was considering her chances of staying with Eugene but opted against it after her teacher's reasonings that their relashionship would bring more harm to Eugene 'cause that's the world they are living in. And she doesn't want to see him hurt any more than he already is.

Plus AS now realizes that Joseon she protects is the Joseon that took away Eugene's family. And staying beside him means inevitably entangle him in its affairs which is not something he wants to do nor something she can ask of him.

That's why she decided to end it for both of their sakes.

Well, not criticizing here. AS before really didn't think about class system. Her patriotism had been romantic patriotism on that aspect, even though she was fighting for her country. 

But this episode is where Aeshin starts to grow and understand Eugene and Dongmae. Notice the scene where AS was in the palanquin? It's shaking, and AS seems to be on the verge of phobia. After that scene, we're seeing lot of times AS walks instead of being in palanquin. She's changing.

• Like 14

51 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

Well, not criticizing here. AS before really didn't think about class system. Her patriotism had been romantic patriotism on that aspect, even though she was fighting for her country. 

But this episode is where Aeshin starts to grow and understand Eugene and Dongmae. Notice the scene where AS was in the palanquin? It's shaking, and AS seems to be on the verge of phobia. After that scene, we're seeing lot of times AS walks instead of being in palanquin. She's changing.

That's right.  She starts to fully realize the real scope of the fight they are all in but most of all she starts to see it from the perspective of other people and their stories (what it means for others) and understand the consequences.

She is indeed growing up and maybe you have a point and AS's patriotism really was a bit on the romantic side but I'd rather say she never thought it out more deeply nor had the chance to experience it from another perspective thus sometimes misjudging others.

Eugene's question made her realize that he is more mature in that respect. AS got her homework and now it's her time to find the answer to the question of *what is she really fighting for*?  setting new direction to her life and finding her true way and reason.

• Like 15