[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

[미스터 션샤인 OST Part 4] 이수현 (Lee Suhyun of AKMU) - 소리 (Sori) MV

@rubie Those embroideries!!!  Talented!!  I spy her IG, amazing unreal stuffs.  

Yeah I don’t know guys.  Is this each man with his own imagined future with Ae Shin?  Hee Sung in the garden among flowers.  Eugene with the valuable porcelain plates and Dong Mae forever her bodyguard.  I can only make out Ae Shin paying him in coins.

@kugap welcome to our thread.  Like your take on our characters’ fates.

Mr Kyle makes sure we know it takes a village to make those visuals on screen.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, philosophie said:

Right after the trio ending scene, there three scenes I feel like I haven’t seen on the show yet with AS and each guy. Is it a little spoiler clip of what will happen in the future? Or did I miss something? Also the first one looked like AS was passing by EC in western clothing? 

You're right! I clicked pause for all 3 scenes and they are new. There's a scene where Byun Yo Han was lying on Ae Shin's lap :) I definitely have not seen that yet. The writer KES always does this, she flash-forwards to the future to keep us hooked and guessing! She did that in Goblin too and I was the fool who was kept intrigued -_- Now there are three scenes for all of the divided fans! I am still on Team Eugene btw, the other 2 male leads are totally hot tho

12 hours ago, maddymappo said:

Ep 7 

I do not understand what AS thought the meaning of "love" was when she offered it to him and what she thinks now. Now is deep heartfelt sincere affection. But  what was she thinking it meant before? Confused. Please help me on this.

AS first heard about it from her commoner friend who went to study at the English school. Her friend told her that her friend's motivation to study English is because of "love".

So AS concluded that since her friend is so motivated, "love" must be better and more important than money, status or country. 

AS, being a person who is motivated, must also find someone to embark with on this "love" project.

Many times she invited Eugene to participate in her "love" project, which he finds amusing and funny. 

Actually, AS doesn't know what the richard simmons it is, she just decided to also try it since it was a "trend", so to speak. 

16 hours ago, scarletlover1 said:

Okay those 3 different scenes at the end, could it be things that will happen or could happen? Either these are flash forwards or they are giving a glimpse of what it could be with whichever guy she ends up with? I also just realized it's almost like trying to pick America, Japan or Joseon.

When these three are together it's so entertaining but so much tension at the same time. I feel like I can't even call this a bromance because I don't even know what this is.

It's a fan club!

Edited by Berou
Please do not bypass the swear filter
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

This scene on the log bridge to kiln site seems to be a favourite amongst fans to parody. Hehe........:D

I must say the one posted in IG below is particularly well done giving it a summery and bright and happy vibe compared to the original which gives a more romantic vibe .......Love both versions....Hehe..... :wub:

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

When the madman japanese soldier asks the korean spy geisha as to how many beans will she eat this year....then she answered incorrectly which is why this crazy japanese soldier knew she was a spy....i became particularly interested in this japanese tradition of eating beans equivalent to your age....is this a yearly thing that even orphans like the spy geisha should be doing for what purpose???

• Like 4

I don’t think that was a flashforward that happened with the three of them with Ae shin. I think that was what they wished had happened with Ae Shin. Like Eugene must have wished he met Ae Shin in America, Dong Mae wished he met Ae Shin when he was already a powerful leader and Hui Seong wished he had come back earlier and already was married to Ae Shin. Those were what they hoped for in their minds, not the situation they are in now. Because lets face it all of them are currently in the dog house when it comes to Ae Shin with Eugene again having the advantage because he had saved her yet again from being exposed by shooting himself in the hand and confronting the mad japanese soldier Tsuda. 

I really hoped that Hui Seong would not go dark by forcing Ae Shin to marry him and using the promise between their families to force Ae Shin’s hand.

I really hoped that Ae Shin’s influence to the three men will be for the good and making them more noble and heroic…Although if i get my wish on this then I will end up destroying myself because then they would all die a horrible death trying to save Joseon from being completely conquered by Japan since this is a historical drama and the show is bound to go to that time of Japan completely taking over Joseon huhuhu… But if these three men would change and their motivations would align to Ae Shin’s hope to save Joseon then I will get my wish of all these people teaming up to save Joseon… Maybe the writer can even make this drama a wish fullfillment that would somehow end with Joseon winning rather than losing. I mean this is historical fiction after all, the writer can choose to change the ending from sad to happy…

I know the fans have different ships they love for this drama but for me I follow Ae Shin’s choice always because she is a heroine who knows her own mind and who knows what she wants. And so far in this drama, her choice seems to be towards Eugene romantically maybe because even when Eugene keeps on saying he wants to do something for the doom of Joseon, the actions that she has witnessed so far has been to help Joseon since he has been helping her. Any actions that Eugene take to help and protect her was a further help to Joseon that is why Eugene has the advantage than the other two. Although Dong Mae might get his chance in the next episode because he will finally find out her alter ego and obviously he will end up helping her to protect her… Unless he would do something that would end up killing the geisha/rebel girl, then if that happens he can just kiss whatever chance he hopes to have with Ae Shin goodbye because Ae Shin will truly despise him if the girl will not be able to get to safety to Shanghai…

Ep 8 will be a crossroads for Dong Mae and I am looking forward to what he will do. Of course my girl,Ae Shin, will continue to be heroic as always just like her parents without any fear for her life. I’m also looking forward to what Eugene might do when he finds out that Ae Shin will try to rescue the girl So A in broad daylight! I hope Eugene will find out and also help the girl So A. I wonder when Hui Seong finds out about Ae Shin’s alter ego…. I hope he really won’t go villainous by forcing Ae Shin to marry but do something heroic to earn him a chance with Ae Shin…please please drama… I want them to all become heroes in this drama… Ae Shin, Eugene, Dong Mae, Hui Seong and Hina…

• Like 12

When Ae Shin said "I must save her because one day she could become like me", I could be wrong but the translation could be wrong and was too literal.

I felt what Ae Shin meant was "I must save her because one day I would end up in the same situation as her."

That one day, She would also be dragged by the Japanese when Joseon is taken over.

I felt some translations are not too accurate and one would need to put the words in context first to truly understand the writer's meaning.. 

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, hallee said:

When the madman japanese soldier asks the korean spy geisha as to how many beans will she eat this year....then she answered incorrectly which is why this crazy japanese soldier knew she was a spy....i became particularly interested in this japanese tradition of eating beans equivalent to your age....is this a yearly thing that even orphans like the spy geisha should be doing for what purpose???

It is a Japanese tradition which most Japanese people will know. But if you did not grow up in Japan, you will not know it. With this information, it's enough for Japanese soldier to know she is a spy, working in the drinking house as a geisha to gather information. 

I don't think it's a "must" for everyone, just something that Japanese people generally know. 

30 minutes ago, ari_bian said:

I don’t think that was a flashforward that happened with the three of them with ae shin. I think that was what they wished had happened with Ae Shin. Like Eugene must have wished he met Ae Shin in America, Dong Mae wished he me Ae Shin when he was already a powerful leader and Hui Seong wished he had come back earlier and already was married to Aeshin. Those were what they hoped for in their minds, not the situation they are in now.

This is an interesting concept, I had assumed that KES would repeat her flash-forward method, but what you mentioned sounds possible too. I'm so confused now. I must watch ep 8 soonest possible! 

• Like 4

Things I love :

1. Eugene subtly lowered his gun when he realized it's her :kiss_wink:

2. How Aeshin coolly responded to his 'third' confession and made him all flustered :joy:

3. Aeshin immediately realized what he meant by 'end up destroying myself' when Eugene shot himself for her :relieved:Yes, yes!! You've won me by skipping that foolish-when-comes-to-love phase, lady.

4. How she worriedly waited for Eugene to be released and come back to her :anguished:

5. Eugene tried to learn korean :joy:

I almost died laughing when he read that 'basic korean conversation' book.

I can't wait for their love to get intense yet I'm worried for my safety when they start cuddling, hugging, or....kissing. I might be dead by asphyxia or choking on my own saliva.

• Like 2
  • LOL 10

My favorite characters in this drama so far are Ae Shin and Seung Gu and their wonderful Master/Student and Allies relationship.

Ae Shin grew up in an already occupied Joseon, not the Joseon that Eugene, Dong Mae and Hui Seong knew...

She grew up when slaves, hierarchy and civil service are no longer a thing in Joseon but due to her station in life she had to grew up as one who follows the old system of doing things. You could already see how she is not really happy with her station in life not because she is not grateful to have a good life but because the world is already changing around her and yet here she still need to follow the old way which is to be a Joseon aristocrat lady bound by the rules and dictates of her station and having to just look forward to a future that entails just getting married to another noble and grow his babies and stay at home to be pretty and pampered. She already knew that her parents especially her father and uncle are the kind of aristocrats who joined a secret society whose purpose was to protect and save Joseon from any enemies trying to take away it's right to be a free nation. She knew that her mother was also one of those spies and that a girl/female can also take part in the cause to defend Joseon. And I believe she became determined to do something even more when she encountered Dong Mae and decided to save him. I believe Dong Mae's words of "You are just a noble fool who lives in luxury" have really cut her to the quick and made her feel insulted that her noble intentions are look as if it's nothing because of the station of her birth. It must have made her even more determined to be a secret fighter hence her silent rebellion against what's expected of her by trying to find out more about what is going on with the secret society news and world news so she can see if she do anything to help the cause...The newspaper wasn't just any ordinary newspaper, it was a newspaper called Independence which means it is a newspaper filled with news that could affect the independence of Joseon... When she was discovered by her grandfather and ordered to stop doing what she is doing, she was very clear in saying that "The world/Joseon is changing and that a girl can also do something to help Joseon" and she was very empathic that she would rather die than live as just an aristocrat...she basically told her grandfather that she wants to live like her parents as spies/secret fighter to save Joseon. Not the old Joseon with all it's hierarchies but a free Joseon one that has a right to govern themselves and one that will also make a place for a woman to be something than just a housewife. That is the Joseon that Ae Shin wants to fight for.

Enter Seung Gu, the gunner who became her master/teacher in how to defend herself. Seung Gu is a man who has been betrayed by his country, an orphan, a gunner who also is forced to live by the station of his birth. Seung Gu is someone who grew up in the old Joseon with all the hierarchies but after the Battle at Gang Hwa Island and the betrayal of his nation he has seen that he doesn't need to just accept and live as what he was told was the station of his birth. He decided to become a rebel, one who believes Joseon should be free but a Joseon without any of the political richard simmons currently going on in the royal court and with the ministers... He wants to see a Joseon that is free and one who protects and defends its own people and that is what he is really fighting for.

When Ae Shin told him that she is not really pro Joseon which she actually means the old Joseon because that Joseon does not do anything for her either because she is a female, but she is pro Seung Gu and his cause, because the truth is Seung Gu's cause is a revolutionary cause and ideal, one that Ae Shin also hopes to see for her country and it's people especially the low borns and the women...

That is why I love love love these two characters, they fight for a Joseon that all kinds of people can relate because we all hope to be part of a nation that is free and strong enough to defend itself and also a nation that allows its people to be everything they can be and not limit them. A nation that is not corrupted with greedy officials but filled with government officials who are truly patriotic and will serve the country's people. I really hope Ae Shin and Seung Gu will see a glimpse of the Joseon that they dreamed of... I really hope...

• Like 8

Can someone enlighten me about the scene where Ae-Shin holds Eugene at gunpoint and he’s shocked that Ae-shin understood his confession. What has “Beginning of revenge or end of jealousy” got to do with knowing how to count? And why did he ask her when did she learn how to count and looked away when she replied “When you said protecting you”. I’m wondering if there’s some Korean subtext that went missing during Netflix’s English translation? 

Spoiler

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, callieee said:

Can someone enlighten me about the scene where Ae-Shin holds Eugene at gunpoint and he’s shocked that Ae-shin understood his confession. What has “Beginning of revenge or end of jealousy” got to do with knowing how to count? And why did he ask her when did she learn how to count and looked away when she replied “When you said protecting you”. I’m wondering if there’s some Korean subtext that went missing during Netflix’s English translation? 

Reveal hidden contents

I thought it just means that Ae Shin is well aware all along that Eugene likes her. And she had been taking note and counting the number of times he has confessed his feelings albeit indirectly in a very roundabout way. Starting with when he said he is protecting her. And Eugene is surprised that she is not that clueless or that naive as the general impression that people have of her like what his interpreter had told him or what Ae Shin’s maid had said to Eugene, “My lady is as innocent as a baby” in an earlier scene.....B).Haha...

• Like 4
  • LOL 5

I entered this thread because I was looking for some good english translations for the ost; out on youtube are different translations for the same song, the ost's are really great and I was looking for better ones... failed ...everybody (almost) is concerned with pairing Ae Shin with one of the three...

Anyway, this drama has absolutely gorgeous costumes, visuals, excellent cast, soundtrack. In my personal opinion the drama started a little bit to slow, yes it was important to meet us with the characters, but could have led with loosing some viewers ( and those scene with repeated slow motion are too much for me). All the characters are interesting, but you need to know a little bit of history to understand the story and to fully understand their intentions. 

I personally love both female character portrayal ( I'm a bit of feminist, you know ). As for the male ones... I think Lee Byung Hun could have done a little  in the beginning, using micro facial expression, I think he was a bit stiff ( don't throw stone at me, is my personal opinion), he is better on portraying extreme characters, although in "A Single Rider" he was fine. Gu Dong Mae ... his costumes are a piece of art, his acting on point, but we need to recognize that villain role gives you a wide range of expression, just like Hui Seong who actually carries a mask.

In the end, the drama will have great success because it's addressed to a large group of viewers, it's visuals are a joy for the eye, the soundtrack will attract more viewers... so... the awards are around the corner.

• Like 8

The biggest question i have though at the moment is are the pawn shop owner and Eugene's interpreter twins?? Every single episodes we have people asking "Do you maybe have a twin?" and they always angrily refuse haha. Those characters are such a comic relief :D.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

Photos: tvN // OSEN

ms194.jpg

Spoiler

Agree with comments about Eugene's super-restraint mode, perhaps it was intended.. being somewhat overly-cautious coming back to Joseon. He's pretty much at ease with Kyle and the Japanese friend in NY. But he's also opening up slowly to those who had helped him before, Eun San for instance (Eugene was smiling) and the former slave-hunters, trusting & getting them semi-involved with the important document.

However.. he is still somewhat 'tense' with Ae Shin.. not particularly a bad thing. He likes, loves and laughs particularly when she's clueless. But still, he wouldn't want to make her angry.. the girl knows how to shoot and not miss the target! Thankfully, AE is no clumsy damsel in distress, while she is confident she could still unknowingly be in much trouble.

Pace of the drama is rather slow after Eugene found the document and now the story needed another "discovery".. that is Ae Shin's alter-ego. Awhile back, mentioned that it's only the 6th episode, there's another 18 episodes coming hopefully with more waves to sustain the plot. Can the clothes-line confession.. HS figuring out that EC and DM liking the same girl whom he reiterates as his fiancée be the catalyst to more (suspenseful/memorable/exciting) revelation already exposed in the earlier 7 episodes. [people knowing EC as the runaway slave/HS as the Kim's son/LWI as HK's father/AS finding out what love means/etc]

th_note.gif

So, Eugene did get that music box for himself. Probably unsure if he'd ever go back to America. And now it's broken in a pre-scheduled room search.. even high-ranking officers, do not mess with DM. A broken music box makes a clever reason for EC to find out what happened to the 'borrowed' gun. Win-Win PPL.

Speaking of which, this is perhaps just a Netflix promo poster of EC & AS but could probably be  an upcoming scene of them practicing together. He'd teach her to handle the more sophisticated guns. But could Eugene still do that, while he's still in the Marines? The Japanese side might not want to let things be bygone after the shooting incident.

^ their kind of dating..

• Like 4

3 hours ago, viktormani said:

The biggest question i have though at the moment is are the pawn shop owner and Eugene's interpreter twins?? Every single episodes we have people asking "Do you maybe have a twin?" and they always angrily refuse haha. Those characters are such a comic relief :D.

As a viewer of DOTS and Goblin before, it was a real question at that time actually because we were confused between the two actors.  It is funny that the same dialogue is written in this drama.  :D

@wanda77, my favourite site is "popgasa", have you checked it?

1. The Day - Park Hyo Shin

Spoiler

2. Sad March - Elaine

Spoiler

3. Days Without Tears - Kim Yuna

Spoiler

4. Sori - Lee Suhyun (AKMU)

Spoiler

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1