[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

Sorry because I'll probably sound harsh here, but I don't even see ship material between DM and AS. The look the girl send to him is pure despise, she throw away her skirt because he touched it, he calls him a traitor, she's not even friends of him. I don't see any chemistry between them on the screen, I see enemies. The only chemistry I see is him with Hina.

On the other side, she's not only likes Eugene, but wants to learn English so that she can read his name or understand what he says, she is literally trying to have something in common with him, even after knowing he's on US side. That's exactly what a girl do when she likes the guy, try to find something to have in common with him.

DM may like her, but she will never like him back. I don't even understand people comparing what DM do with Eugene or AS. There's a HUGE difference when you kill for your country orders, and kill for hate or money. You want to see some clear difference? Eugene didn't kill his parents killers even if he wanted to you know why? Because he has morals. DM on the other side, killed for hate when he cameback, and then killed for money. I see very little that make me simpathize with him in the moment, and I doubt so many people would do if a less cute actor would play his hole. 

So, for now my only ship is AS and Eugene, and probably DM and Hina in the future, this show isn't a open one like reply, for me the OTP is pretty clear and their chemistry is on point, and no, I don't see any chemistry with the second lead.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Berou said:

/SPOILER/

I saw this a while ago on twitter, it is about the final scene of last week's episode.  Someone posted some images  where we can see EC and AS hugging each other. Then this would mean AS will accept his proposal and at the same time they will confess their feelings to each other !?.

Credits: @Alizionaire

Same here, saw it a couple days ago on a Korean fan's twitter but wasn't sure if it's not.. like PSed. It couldn't have been fanmade, right. However, the girl at the side (the one rowing the boat for AS, supposedly), she's not there anymore in the second picture. Probably giving them some privacy.

Eugene would probably have to explain what it means now.. as partners in love. If Ae Shin doesn't already realized it.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, rubie said:

Same here, saw it a couple days ago on a Korean fan's twitter but wasn't sure if it's not.. like PSed. It couldn't have been fanmade, right. However, the girl at the side (the one rowing the boat for AS, supposedly), she's not there anymore in the second picture. Probably giving them some privacy.

Eugene would probably have to explain what it means now.. as partners in love. If Ae Shin doesn't already realized it.

I personally thought that it was photoshopped. Don’t think they are at hugging stage yet....not in that time period, right? 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, charray said:

I personally thought that it was photoshopped. Don’t think they are at hugging stage yet....not in that time period, right? 

Hmm.. now I'm unsure as well. :wacko: Seems too fast too soon? But he was moving closer to give her a handshake, that much was not PSed. Eventually.. a hug (at least) would happen when it happens, sooner or later. But yeah.. this is one doubtful image. ;)

Well.. tomorrow we will find out.

In the meantime, could the white porcelain vases be another form of PPL? It's indicated a lot in the episodes with one of the main supporting character being a pottery master maker. The porcelain itself of course, plays a significant role in the Korean culture (Joseon life expressed in white porcelain). 

From Lee Byung Hun's weibo

005DL7lEgy1ftl2mc2ewxj31kw16oqv7.jpg

• Like 5

What's that under the bridge? It is the boat or a bird? Seems potoshopped to me, her head is in the same position in the two pictures, her dress doesn't seems wrinkled by his proximity. I don't know, something looks wrong in the picture for me, but I can be wrong, or I hope to, I'm totally in for some romance...;);)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, charray said:

What is going on?? :o  From the English subbed trailer released by Netflix, Huda Kina is talking to Ae Shin instead of Hui Seong about being Hui Seong’s woman. And Eugene preferred to ruin himself. It is not that he ended up destroying himself. I am like...what??

Most of the English subbed versions of the trailer that I had seen earlier is similar to below.

Wish that someone conversant in Korean can shed some light if the Netflix version is the correct interpretation. 

I'd say subtitle is wrong. In Korean, 

"Once you send the letter", (you=Huisung)

"She'll become your woman",

"and no one else can take her", 

1 hour ago, charray said:

It was photoshopped , and posted on korean dcinside first. Yeah, they're not hugging stage yet :'( but I'm sure they'll get there soon, at least in next episode they will get to pressing EC against the wall stage. :wub:

Edited by Berou
please do not quote videos, thank you :) !
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

Netflix subtitles is giving me some unpleasant feedback here in Brazil. For instance, in the scene of the train inspection to find the missing gun, In the English subtitle she says she "can't even read his name", but in the Portuguese version she says "I can't stand read his name". There are some other inconsistencies but this one really annoyed me because it totally changes the meaning of the scene.

• Confused 5

1 hour ago, mistymorning said:

It was photoshopped , and posted on korean dcinside first. Yeah, they're not hugging stage yet :'( but I'm sure they'll get there soon, at least in next episode they will get to pressing EC against the wall stage. :wub:

Thank you for clarifying on the subtitles. It gives a totally different context whether those words are spoken by Hina to Hui Sung or to Ae Shin and Netflix can get something so important wrong. I am going to get so confused if Netflix is going to continue to mess up the subtitles. Sigh....not like I have other choice.

Yeah, furthermore this one is initiated by Ae Shin herself when she pressed Eugene against wall. Haha...:D Imagine the shock and surprise from Eugene. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

Sorry if this was already posted, I don't know how to search thread. :(

from @dcinside,

In Episode 2, the book EC was pretending to read was The Romance of Tristan and Iseult. Unfortunately I can't seem to link the image here, but it shows part of the book(where EC was writing the name of place Rogan will meet Lee Se-hun. This is first time I am watching KES drama, but poster is saying KES is known to use book for part of story telling. While legend of Tristan and Iseult is a tragedy, I hope Mr. Sunshine will not end like that.

31 minutes ago, charray said:

Thank you for clarifying on the subtitles. It gives a totally different context whether those words are spoken by Hina to Hui Sung or to Ae Shin and Netflix can get something so important wrong. I am going to get so confused if Netflix is going to continue to mess up the subtitles. Sigh....not like I have other choice.

Yeah totally confusing too. I cringe when I see those but that happens too frequently. (I guess other languages could be worse!).

Yeah, furthermore this one is initiated by Ae Shin herself when she pressed Eugene against wall. Haha...:D Imagine the shock and surprise from Eugene. 

:D + he's letting her do it. He is a trained marine so it should be easy for him to turn the situation but he's letting her do it. And he's totally looking at her with soft eyes :wub:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

23 minutes ago, charray said:

1 hour ago, mistymorning said:

The netflix translation I am watching is similar to mistymorning’s.  I think the youtube one is incorrect.  I would think Netflix is careful with translation since it caters to the international viewers.  JMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mistymorning said:

Sorry if this was already posted, I don't know how to search thread. :(

from @dcinside,

In Episode 2, the book EC was pretending to read was The Romance of Tristan and Iseult. Unfortunately I can't seem to link the image here, but it shows part of the book(where EC was writing the name of place Rogan will meet Lee Se-hun. This is first time I am watching KES drama, but poster is saying KES is known to use book for part of story telling. While legend of Tristan and Iseult is a tragedy, I hope Mr. Sunshine will not end like that.

Oh, that is so interesting to know! I googled about it and it is a tragic forbidden love story as the lady is betrothed to another. Seems to have some similar themes to the drama.

This is also the first Kim Eun Seok drama that I am watching. Although I have heard of her other works,  I had never watched her other works, not even Goblin or Descendants of the Sun.

• Like 2

Just got around to read the posts in the thread and noticing posts I didn't see before. Anyway seeing how people find discussions on the characters as tiring, and then some, even after being offered the explanations from our perspective on how we come to understand and can root for the other character (which I thought was an interesting discussion), still insisting that it was only because he was played by a cute actor and those who root for him are just shallow fangirls. Sure. Why bother when people just won't make any effort to understand others' different pov and insisting what they are rooting for is the only right thing to do and should be done and others should just shut up because well, the other guy is just a second lead and have no worth in the show. What the 'fangirls' have to say having no weight because they're just shallow, no? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's a pity because I was actually looking forward to discuss more on the show, especially about the characters since this is a characters driven drama, and also about the real historical happenings that would probably be adapted into the show like the Russo - Japanese war, The Treaty of Portsmouth lobbied by President Roosevelt, the betrayal in the form of Taft-Katsura agreement, why the US Minister to Korea was abruptly replaced by Roosevelt (who was a pro-Japanese), Roosevelt's daughter visit to Korea who found things as pathetic despite Emperor Gojong giving her the best hospitality since he was desperate to please her and 'Elder Brother America' so they'd help Korea, etc. But now... I think I'd just bow out. Enjoy your show.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

3 hours ago, daydreamer115 said:

Just got around to read the posts in the thread and noticing posts I didn't see before. Anyway seeing how people find discussions on the characters as tiring, and then some, even after being offered the explanations from our perspective on how we come to understand and can root for the other character (which I thought was an interesting discussion), still insisting that it was only because he was played by a cute actor and those who root for him are just shallow fangirls. Sure. Why bother when people just won't make any effort to understand others' different pov and insisting what they are rooting for is the only right thing to do and should be done and others should just shut up because well, the other guy is just a second lead and have no worth in the show. What the 'fangirls' have to say having no weight because they're just shallow, no? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's a pity because I was actually looking forward to discuss more on the show, especially about the characters since this is a characters driven drama, and also about the real historical happenings that would probably be adapted into the show like the Russo - Japanese war, The Treaty of Portsmouth lobbied by President Roosevelt, the betrayal in the form of Taft-Katsura agreement, why the US Minister to Korea was abruptly replaced by Roosevelt (who was a pro-Japanese), Roosevelt's daughter visit to Korea who found things as pathetic despite Emperor Gojong giving her the best hospitality since he was desperate to please her and 'Elder Brother America' so they'd help Korea, etc. But now... I think I'd just bow out. Enjoy your show.

Please my dear @daydreamer115 come back... just ignore the irrelevant views. We really enjoy your takes and discussions on the character's development as well as the historical background applied in the drama. We share the same perspectives and depths in analysing. The discussion  is not only super interesting and brain stimulating, it also contains many substances or intrinsic points that are worth reflecting upon. Do come back and I look forward to your next discussion on ep 7 and 8 and the rest. Please return to our round table. I will be waiting :kiss_wink:

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, imhoooked said:

You can say you dislike a character but when your talking about chemistry its more then personal feelings the chemistry is obvious as day. 

Look at the scene where hes holding the skirt that is chemistry right there. I have no issues if you dislike a character but chemistry is talking more about the acting then character. 

You can obviously share your own thoughts and no-one says you shouldn't but some people are putting down other's who sympathize with DM or ship him with AS. 

Your comments were degrading people who support DM when you said we only support him due to looks which is beyond pathetic. 

They have chemistry its just not romantic chemistry at least from AS side. 

Ladies, 

You may not realise that the wording of your views can be a little offensive to others. Perhaps a little finesse in writing your opinions is very much welcome. I usually ignore any take when it contains the word 'ship' as I would prefer views about the characters development and their stories more than just how compatible any characters as a couple that they are for each other regardless what the story entails. Yes, although I am a heavy romantic at heart, I rarely watch fluffy rom com that have no substances besides lovey dovey shipping materials. Though that does not mean I shall attack those who love this genre and the shipping activities that come along.

Hence, please refrain to do so in the future so that we can maintain constructive discussion environment here. Thanks ladies!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, daydreamer115 said:

Please don't leave.  Looking forward to see how the drama will incorporate the above plus reading your posts.  I just want to say I enjoy reading everyone's perspective on the characters.  :)

@tzupi I really like what you said many pages ago about how the side characters and stories add another dimension to our drama.  Eugene and Dong Mae are both orphans, not only from losing their parents, but also because they felt they were never loved by their motherland.  When both came back to Korea, they have already renounced whatever Joseon DNA that makeup their being for the countries that welcomed them.  Like you, I wanted both to come to identify with their heritage through their interactions with the people whom they never found kindness first hand as children.  Ae Shin may have brought them together but it would be so much more cathartic and satisfying to see that it is the people of Joseon who will rekindle a sense of patriotism in both. 

I also like how Eugene started to reexamine his views of people through Seung Gu, Domi, Ae Shin.  We see him opening up and getting emotionally involved, not considering himself a stranger or passerby.  For someone has never actually experience a lot of other emotions beside hate, Dong Mae gets to know the simple joy of candies for the first time.  I agree he needs another male presence in his life to show the alternative to his way of living currently.  Another perspective and way of doing things which doesn't rely on power and violence.  Both are orphans and never really have any parental guidance so they will have to learn from trials and mistakes.  I am going to give them plenty of room and patience while they are learning in the mean time.  

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Berou said:

time-out.gif

I think users  on this thread have quickly  forgotten my note that still applies :

I wished to not take such measures  but I'm forced  as I see  nothing  but  toxic discussion, accusations and vile remarks.  This  is my last warning, anyone who does not pay any heed and violates my note will receive a formal warning. 

Delete all my posts replying to imhoooked if you can.