[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

November 12, 2017

Kim Yong-ji to star in tvN "Mr. Sunshine"

Source: STARNEWS via HanCinema.net

photo909138.jpg

Rookie actress Kim Yong-ji is starring in the new tvN drama "Mr. Sunshine" alongside Lee Byung-heon, Kim Tae-ri, Byun Yo-han, Yoo Yeon-seok and Kim Sa-rang.

Kim Yong-ji takes on the role of Ho Ta-roo, a tarot card reader.

Kim Yong-ji made her debut in 2015 through commercials, music videos, and beauty magazines.

"Mr. Sunshine" is about an abandoned soldier who returns to his country of birth and aims for release next year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

November 23, 2017

Yoon Kyung Ho Joins Upcoming Drama Produced By Director And Writer Of “Goblin”

Source: Soompi by Y. Chang

Yoon-Kyung-Ho.jpg

Actor Yoon Kyung Ho will once again team up with director Lee Eung Bok and writer Kim Eun Sook in tvN’s upcoming drama “Mr. Sunshine” (literal title).

His agency Management Koo revealed on November 23, “Actor Yoon Kyung Ho has confirmed to appear on tvN’s ‘Mr. Sunshine.'”

“Mr. Sunshine” will be the second drama director Lee Eung Bok, writer Kim Eun Sook, and Yoon Kyung Ho work together on. The three are already familiar with each other through tvN’s popular drama “Goblin,” with Yoon Kyung Ho playing the role of the country’s savior.

Yoon-Kyung-Ho1.jpg

“Mr. Sunshine” is set in the 1900s and tells the story of the righteous armies who were never written down in history but whose legacy must be remembered. It is set to air during the first half of next year.

Yoon Kyung Ho has appeared in various dramas including “Age of Youth 2,” “Duel,” “Goblin,” and most recently, “Witch’s Court.” He is especially known for acting a wide range of characters, even taking parts in movies such as “The Battleship Island” and “Okja.”

Source (1)

• Like 2

On 7/10/2017 at 7:56 PM, Kasmic said:

NOOOOOO!!!! YYS confirmed his role as a TRAGIC second male lead. I dont mind him being a second lead as he can shine equally as the main lead but the keyword is TRAGIC! does that not send alarm bells to him. This mean he may suffer a terrible ending...OH GOSH! ...*tables flipping* :bawling: WHY????

Hey KASMIC!!!!! So happy to find you here!!! 

5189087055_b453112fb5_o.jpg

I literally just finished Reply 1994 (because you know I wanted more of our other Ahjussi :wink:). Anyway, I am so thankful I found out  who the end game was before starting Reply 94, coz otherwise I would have died in grief.  The writer/PD trolled us so much towards the end. :huh: 

So what I am trying to say is that I am still recovering from Chilbong's tragedy and now these people are saying that I may have to prepare my heart for another one of his tragic characters??  ANDWAE!

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

December 6, 2017

Writer Kim Eun Sook’s Upcoming Drama “Mr. Sunshine” Pushes Back Broadcast Date

Source: Soompi by J. Lim

Kim-Tae-Ri-Lee-Byung-Hun.jpg

tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine,” which is writer Kim Eun Sook’s latest project, has pushed back its airing date.

On December 7, tvN confirmed the news and said, “‘Mr. Sunshine’ has changed its schedule so it will begin airing in either late June or early July. The decision was made to ensure that we create a drama of a highest cinematic quality.”

Filming began for the drama in early November but they are said to be behind schedule, leading to the decision that was made today. The drama was originally scheduled to begin airing in May 2018.

“Mr. Sunshine” will be the story of a young boy who travels to the United States during the 1871 Shinmiyangyo [U.S. expedition to Korea], and returns to his homeland later as an American soldier. It will be a human melodrama that shines a spotlight on the lives of soldiers who have been forgotten in the history books but should be remembered.

This will be the third time that writer Kim Eun Sook and producing director Lee Eung Bok team up for a drama following “Descendants of the Sun” and “Goblin.” It is one of the most highly anticipated dramas of 2018 with a main cast that includes Lee Byung Hun, Kim Tae Ri, Kim Sa Rang, Yoo Yeon Seok, and Byun Yo Han.

Source (1)

• Like 2

My favorite Heo Jung Eun is part of this drama. Should have won best actress 2016.. not just best child actress for Oh My Geumbi.  I'm going to check this. I want to see her excellent acting even if it's just short role as younger version of Kim Tae Ri. Thank you for updating the page.

• Like 3

December 7, 2017

Lee Byung-heon’s period drama Mr. Sunshine gets delayed

by tineybeanie Dramabeans.com

suneshining.jpg

Mr. Sunshine, the latest buzz drama from writer Kim Eun-sook (The Lonely Shining Goblin), only just went into filming in November (despite having been in the works since January), which has delayed the production schedule and thus the broadcast schedule. What was supposed to air during in early 2018 has been moved several months, which means we’ll have to wait till midsummer to catch the blockbuster period romance.

Taking place during the early 1900s, Mr. Sunshine stars Lee Byung-heon (Master) and Kim Tae-ri (The Handmaiden) as a Joseon-heritage U.S. soldier and an aristocrat’s daughter, respectively. Lee Byung-heon’s character originally thinks his country abandoned him when he’s taken forcibly by the U.S. expedition in 1871, but when he returns to Joseon years later, he becomes involved in a national movement to oppose the growing influence of Japan on his homeland.

Spoiler

There are high expectations for this one, especially because it comes from the PD-writer duo that created drama sensations The Lonely Shining Goblin and Descended From the Sun. Moreover, it’ll be Lee Byung-heon’s television comeback after a nine-year drama hiatus (his last was spy thriller IRIS), during which he expanded his filmography and repertoire to include multiple Hollywood films, and Kim Tae-ri is currently the Chungmuro It girl after her strong performance in The Handmaiden.

There are also a couple of additional big names in the cast, including Yoo Yeon-seok (Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim), Kim Sa-rang (Beloved Eun-dong), and Byun Yo-han (Six Flying Dragons). So all around, everyone seems to be looking forward to Mr. Sunshine, which may be why the production team was insistent on not compromising the quality of the project due to timing. In any case, I’m excited to see another Kim Eun-sook drama with her characteristic big romance and quippy dialogue.

Mr. Sunshine is now slated to air next summer on tvN as a Saturday-Sunday drama at the beginning of July.

Via IS Plus

• Like 2

On 11/30/2017 at 1:46 AM, ode2kdramas said:

So what I am trying to say is that I am still recovering from Chilbong's tragedy and now these people are saying that I may have to prepare my heart for another one of his tragic characters??  ANDWAE!

hi-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862508 Annyeong Chingu!!! so good to see another familiar name. I miss our Choi Ban Do too. His doing so well now as I hear he has a fan meet soon, is that right?? :tongue: opps wrong thread to chat about :joy:

Spoiler

throwback 2014 lol!

DQcLqKHVQAExhqq.jpg

must be the hair that never quite got me hooked

DQcATjLVQAcCrAI.jpg

Anyway back to this drama,  I totally feel your pain. I dont want another tragic ending for YYS Im just so desperate2-onion-head-emoticon.gif?12928 WHY???  indeed. But now that I've read his interviews on some of the reasons why he took up the role of a transgender in a musical theatre I see that he enjoys the challenge. His growing into a more versatile actor and credits to him for not taking just taking on the typical "flower boy" roles.  Im still going to get my heart broken for him here.... I know it.  Let's stock up on tissues as we wait for a much later production :confounded:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

December 8, 2017

“Judge Vs. Judge” Actor Ji Seung Hyun To Reunite With Writer Kim Eun Sook For Upcoming Drama

Source: Soompi by C. Hong

ji-seung-hyun.jpg

“Judge vs. Judge” actor Ji Seung Hyun will be appearing in the Kim Eun Sook-penned drama “Mr. Sunshine!”

The news was confirmed by his agency 正 Entertainment on December 7. “Mr. Sunshine” stars Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri and tells the story of a young boy who travels to the United States during the 1871 Shinmiyangyo [U.S. expedition to Korea], and returns to his homeland later as an American soldier.

Ji Seung Hyun will play Song Young, a member of the Heroic Corps, an organization founded in Korea in 1919 to protest Japanese colonialism at the time. This is the actor’s second time working with writer Kim Eun Sook, as he appeared as the North Korean soldier Ahn Jung Joon in the hit drama “Descendants of the Sun.”

In a statement, the actor stated, “It’s an honor to be able to join ‘Mr. Sunshine’ after making the connection [with her] in ‘Descendants of the Sun.’ I will repay the faith of writer Kim Eun Sook, who didn’t forget me, and director Lee Eung Bok.”

Spoiler

The actor has recently been drawing attention for his role in “Judge vs. Judge” after his character was shockingly killed off.

Meanwhile, the broadcast date for “Mr. Sunshine” has recently been pushed back.

Source (1)

December 7, 2017

Drama Casting Bites: Delayed "Mr. Sunshine"

Kim Si-eun, stage and indie actress, will be joining Lee Byung-hun's period drama, "Mr. Sunshine". Because the Kim Eun-sook drama just began filming, it's early 2018 release has been pushed back to summer.

Source: HanCinema.net

htm_20171207144850698240.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Kasmic said:

throwback 2014 lol!

Spoiler

ha ha.. You can skip Reply94 if you can't stand SHJ's hair style, but you should totally check out Youth Over Flowers LAOS (if you haven't already.) I myself checked it out only recently. HILARIOUS!!

P.s.Great to hear that Choi Ban Do ahjussi is doing well with fan meets and everything. Good for him. :wub:

17 hours ago, Kasmic said:

His growing into a more versatile actor and credits to him for not taking just taking on the typical "flower boy" roles. 

Yes, that's true. He is experimenting  and  broadening his horizons.. I hope his role in this drama will give him lots of opportunity to showcase his skills.

P.S. Save some of those tissues for me next year!

• Like 2

December 11, 2017

10 most anticipated Korean dramas of 2018

By Ambili S International Business Times

There is no doubt 2017 was the year of surprises in the Korean drama world. Dramas like 'Because This is My First Life,' was a sleeper hit with fans still reeling over the wonderful screenplay and acting. As the curtains are down for 2017, here we take a look at some of the most anticipated dramas scheduled for 2018.

Mr Sunshine

tvN's Mr Sunshine is one of the most anticipated dramas of 2018 penned by writer Kim Eun Sook of Goblin and Descendants of the Sun fame. The drama will be aired every Saturdays and Sundays. The casting includes Lee Byung Hun, Kim Tae Ri, Yoo Yeon Seok, Byun Yo Han, and Kim Sarang. Kim has earlier revealed that she wants her male lead to be well-versed in English as an integral part of the story will be set in the United States.

imglee-byung-hun.jpg

A recent article on Soompi revealed that the drama will be set in the Japanese occupation of Korea in the early 1900s. It narrates the story of a Korean man who fakes an identity of a soldier in the United States Army. After embarking on a battleship during the United States expedition to Korea, he goes back to the Joseon where he falls for a woman from an aristocratic family. Well, that sounds like a lot of action, drama, romance and sentiments.

Radio Romance

Kim So Hyun teams up with Yoon Doo Joon for this new-age healing romance. It is set to air in January 2018 on KBS2's Mondays and Tuesdays at 22:00 (KST) time slot. The drama centres around the love story a top actor turned DJ for a live radio show and his scriptwriter with excellent planning skills.

Suits

Based on the American television series Suits by Aaron Korsh, this legal drama revolves around a legendary lawyer who takes a genius rookie lawyer under his wing. Park Hung Sik will play the role of Mike Ross, the illegal law school student with sharp intelligence while Jang Dong Gun will be the Korean version of Harvey Specter, the best closer in the city.

Four Men

Park Hae Jin is all set to appear as quadruplet brothers in his upcoming drama tentatively titled Four Sons. Reportedly, the drama will be aired on SBS in the first half of 2018. The pre-filmed drama is a mystery thriller that revolves around a female detective, played by After School's Nana, who discovers the quadruple brothers of the man she loved.

My Ahjussi

Singer-actor IU is making her comeback with tvN's upcoming drama My Ahjussi. The pretty lady is paired opposite Lee Sun Gyun in this rom-com. The drama revolves around the story of a 40-something man and a 20-something woman. IU will portray the role of the debt-ridden Lee Ji Ahn. She is working non-stop to repay her debuts because of which she neither dreams or hopes for anything. Ji Ahn also had a troubled childhood where she was left behind to live with her sick grandmother since six. The drama will be aired in the first half of 2018.

Are you Human Too?

In this sci-fi romance, Seo Kang-joon plays the role of a wealthy heir who falls into coma after an accident. His mother, who is also an artificial intelligence expert, creates an android named Nam Shin III which identically looks like his twin. And then, there is a bodyguard Kang So-bong (Gong Seung-yeon). This 18-episode drama will be aired in the first half of 2018 in KBS2.

Clean With Passion Now

Based on a webtoon, the drama revolves around two personalities— Jang Sun Kyul, the wealthy owner of a cleaning company who suffers from severe mysophobia and is obsessed with cleaning and the carefree Gil Oh Sol (Kim Yoo Jung), who is optimistic but untidy. JTBC is planning to air the drama early 2018.

Different Dream

Set in the Japanese colonial period of Korea, Lee Young-ae plays the role of a surgeon, who is adopted by a Japanese couple but later hired as a spy by the Korean government in Shanghai. Eventually, she becomes involved in a series of events leading up to the Pacific war.

That Man Oh Soo

Lee Jong-hyun and Kim So-eun will team up for OCN's fantasy romance That Man Oh Soo. The story revolves around two individuals who fall in love due to a "Cupid" possessing magical pollen.

Fall From The Sky

tvN is making a drama on the popular webtoon 'Paul Who Fell From the Heaven.' The story revolves around Paul who is born half angel and half human. Though he cannot use his powers against pureblooded angels, he fights against evils souls who plagues humans for their joy. One day he meets Seo Hee, who has the ability to see his half-blood. He decides to guard Seo Hee and the rest is a fantasy romance.

Apart from new drama, some of the most awaited sequels of 2018 are Voice 2, Sound of Heart Reboot, Signal 2 and Mystery Queen 2.

• Like 5

December 19, 2017

Kim Tae Ri Remarks On Her Age Gap With “Mr. Sunshine” Co-Star Lee Byung Hun

Source: Soompi by A. Kim

Kim-Tae-Ri-Lee-Byung-Hun1.jpg

Actress Kim Tae Ri commented on her 20-year age difference with her co-star Lee Byung Hun for their upcoming drama “Mr. Sunshine.”

On December 18, Kim Tae Ri discussed the issue, saying, “I do think about the concerns. However, there’s nothing I can do about [the age difference], so I will try my best in what has been given to me.”

The actress also added, “There’s a big gap in my acting experience compared to [Lee Byung Hun], so I have to put forth my best effort. I haven’t filmed with Lee Byung Hun yet.” She made others laugh when she continued, “I only saw him at the script reading. He seems a bit taciturn.”

Kim Tae Ri will take on the lead role for tvN’s drama “Mr. Sunshine,” which is slated to air next year. There was a lot of talk regarding the casting and the 20-year age difference between 27-year old Kim Tae Ri and 47-year old Lee Byung Hun. Recently, Gong Yoo and Kim Go Eun also had a 11-year age difference as the main characters of tvN’s “Goblin,” while Lee Sun Gyun and IU will have a 18-year age difference for upcoming tvN drama “My Ahjusshi” (working title).

Source (1)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

December 26, 2017

Kim Tae-ri looks back at a year full of work :

In ‘1987,’ she plays a student looking for truth

Source: INSiDE Korea JoongAng Daily

25211107.jpg
[ILGAN SPORTS]

Actor Kim Tae-ri, who made her film debut in the 2016 movie “The Handmaiden,” is back in a major way.

Three projects of hers will premiere in the near future. Up first is “1987: When the Day Comes,” which hits local theaters Wednesday. In it, Kim plays Yeon-hee, who tries to get to the bottom of college student Park Jong-cheol’s death. 

This movie is a true story based on the 1987 incident where a college student who was in the process of being questioned by the police died. While the police wanted to cremate the body immediately after the death, a prosecutor sensed that the student might have died from torture, and asked for an autopsy. 

Kim’s character, a college freshman, is a fictional role recreated for the movie. 

She is no different from any other college student, but she finds herself swept up in a group of protesters demanding the truth about Park’s death. She thinks the protesters are reckless, but at the same time, agrees that the fight is righteous.

While that movie touches on an important moment in modern Korean history, another movie, “Little Forest,” which is set to open sometime next year, will focus on going back to nature. She plays a character returning to her hometown after being fed up with an urban life. 

Additionally, Kim is currently filming “Mister Sunshine,” a TV drama featuring actor Lee Byung-hun.

Ilgan Sports, an affiliate of the Korea JoongAng Daily, sat down with the actor to talk more about her upcoming releases. 

Q. What was it like filming the large protest scene in “1987”?

A. I debated it much. I’m not religious, but I imagine it might be similar to becoming religious. This might be what one would feel if there is a savior. I thought [Yeon-hee] would feel the hope that the people out there in the plaza would save families who are grieving and who are suffering. 

Do you think the scenes will remind people of the candlelight vigils that were held last year?

I feel like the candlelight vigil I experienced is a bit different from the people who were out in the plaza in the past. What I saw from the people gathered in Gwanghwamun was sadness. But the scene in the plaza that Yeon-hee saw was different. I think that the need to take action was equally felt by those who came out for the candlelight vigil and those who were protesting in 1987. They must have gone out there because staying put made them feel like their heart was going to burst. 

What has your 2017 been like?

In the beginning, it felt like I had things that I had to give some thought to. In the middle of the year, I was busy filming two movies. Now I’m filming a TV drama while promoting “1987.” I also play games and read books in my spare time to rest. 

How do you like filming a drama with actor Lee Byung-hun?

I saw him during a script reading, but we haven’t filmed together yet. He is more [blunt] than I had imagined. The final script hasn’t come out, so I’m also curious how the story will unfold. I worry about it but that’s something I can’t control. There is a gigantic gap in acting experience, so I’m more worried about that. I will do my best. 

BY CHO YEON-GYEONG [summerlee@joongang.co.kr]

• Like 2

January 3, 2018

Big-name stars return to TV via new dramas in 2018

Surging into 2018, dramas featuring returning stars and rising rookies are coming to light up viewers’ lives. 

Singer and actress IU will be the leading actress of upcoming tvN drama “My Ajeossi.” Lee Sun-kyun will be IU’s “ajeossi,” meaning middle aged man in Korea. The two will play a couple with a 20-year age-gap, that learns to heal each other’s old wounds. The drama will air in the first half of 2018 and Nara of K-pop act Hello Venus will be joining the cast. 

Spoiler

IU (Yonhap)

Jang Dong-gun is looking forward to returning to the small screen through “Suits,” a remake of the popular US drama series. Playing the role of a successful lawyer, played by Harvey Spector in the US series, Jang is to be joined by emerging star Park Hyung-sik. Set to air in the first half of the year on KBS2, the drama aims to continue the current courtroom drama trend. 

Spoiler

Jang Dong-gun (Hohoho Beach)

Seo Kang-joon will be a robot with artificial intelligence who falls in love with a human being, in a pre-produced sci-fi drama “Are You Human, Too?” on KBS2. As the robot is the stand-in for the son of a wealthy family who is in a coma, Seo plays the role of both the robot and the son.

Spoiler

Seo Kang-joon (Urban Code the Class)

Lee Byung-hun is to star alongside rising actress Kim Tae-ri in tvN’s “Mister Sunshine,” which will air in the summer. He is to play a man who travels to America in the 1870s and returns to Joseon as a US soldier. Writer Kim Eun-sook and director Lee Eung-bok, who have proven their teamwork through “Descendants of the Sun” and “Guardian: Lonely and Great God,” will pair up for the star-studded series.

Red Velvet’s Joy and Woo Do-hwan have been confirmed as the leads of MBC’s “Great Temptation,” set to air in the first half of the year. In the drama, Woo will try to seduce Joy, who doesn’t believe in love. The storyline is based on the French novel “Dangerous Liaisons.” 

International star Bae Doo-na, who has established a firm position in Hollywood, will star in local drama “Kingdom,” set for release through Netflix in the latter half of the year. The global streaming service’s first original Korean drama, the eight-episode series will revolve around an epic story of Joseon-era zombies. 

By Im Eun-byel (silverstar@heraldcorp.com

• Like 2

January 11, 2018

Kim Ji Won And Jin Goo To Reunite For Cameo In “Mister Sunshine”

Source: Soompi by C. Hong

kim-ji-won-jin-goo.jpg

The Goo-Won couple is reuniting!

Jin Goo and Kim Ji Won shot to new heights of popularity after playing the much-loved second-lead couple in the Kim Eun Sook-penned drama “Descendants of the Sun” in 2016.

Now they are returning to make a cameo in Kim Eun Sook’s new drama “Mister Sunshine,” which is also directed by the “Descendants of the Sun” director Lee Eung Bok.

The news was broken on January 12 by TVReport and confirmed later by a source from “Mister Sunshine.” Kim Ji Won’s agency, Starship Entertainment, released a statement that said, “It’s hard to reveal the exact concept at the moment. Filming hasn’t yet begun.”

“Mister Sunshine” stars Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri and tells the story of a young Korean boy who is swept off to the United States in the year 1871 and returns later to his native land as a soldier. It is slated to premiere in July.

Source (1) (2)

• Like 2

January 12, 2018

Goo-Won couple to cameo in ‘Mister Sunshine’

(Yonhap)

Jin Goo and Kim Ji-won, known as the “Goo-Won” couple from the hit drama “Descendants of the Sun,” will make a cameo together in the upcoming tvN drama “Mister Sunshine.

According to local media reports Friday, the two stars are currently shooting for the episode, with details kept confidential.

Director Lee Eung-bok, who was behind “Descendants of the Sun,” is overseeing “Mister Sunshine.” 

The Goo-Won couple was as popular as the Song-Song couple -- Song Joong-ki and Song Hye-kyo -- in “Descendants of the Sun.” Their appearance in Lee’s new drama is likely to give it a boost, industry watchers said. 

Jin Goo is starring in the JTBC drama “Untouchable,” while Kim is considering her next work after wrapping up “Fight for My Way.” 

By Lim Jeong-yeo (kaylalim@heraldcorp.com)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...