[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

11 hours ago, plappi said:

KIM YOON AH – DAYS WITHOUT TEARS (눈물 아닌 날들) MR. SUNSHINE OST PART 3

This song is definitely about DM and his painful love for AS :tears:

AS in a mourning outfit, it could be her grandfather, just because he is old :unsure: 

The chemistry between DM and AS from the stills is so intense.  I hope both of will do a project together after Mr Sunshine.  They look cute :D

• Like 6

Thank you for sharing @plappi :wub:...

I have been listening to the full song and put it on replay since yesterday and I still can't decide which one is more haunting, the music or KYA's voice or both. The song does fit DM's story. Sadness is looming ... 

5 hours ago, rubie said:

We are here for MR.SUNSHINE.. no matter what.. one thread, ok.th_katt.gif

Another DM-AS encounter .. unhappy vibe.. :tears: Could be major spoiler.. :sweatingbullets:

Source: TV Dailytaeri_yeosin

[...]

Shall I make a guess of what could possibly transpired in that scene, while waiting for Sat & Sun to come? 

Someone close to her died and maybe DM has a hand in it. He went to her to apologise but didn't say the words instead got told off by AE. He refused to leave and sat on the railway. She ignores him and just walked away.

Gonna have to be strong to get through the remaining 18 episodes... so many are going to die...:bawling:

• Sad 2

19 hours ago, scarletlover1 said:

I'm sorry but I'm still not convinced that Eugene and Ae Shin are the OTP here. Like, I'm here for the friendship/companionship. I feel like they have chemistry but not the romantic kind, it's not working. I'm not feeling it. And also Eugene could just be using her as a revenge card. But I feel like I prefer Eugene with Hina.

Ae Shin has so much more chemistry with Dong Mae and they haven't even had that many scenes together. Maybe Ae Shin and Dong Mae are the real OTP here? They could have more of the passionate and forbidden love story. You never know, it's rare for the second male lead to get the girl. But it still happened in some dramas and movies...

However, I do love the characters.

lol.. well on paper the OTP def is E-AS couple..

but on screen she has more chemistry with the third lead :) or rather with her mentor.. when she goes all girly and young..

i think we need time on AS's front for her to really like someone and then display the romantic , sexual tension.. right now its kind of dead end from her side... but the emotions her character is displaying right now are bang on.. very good actress.. she is superior in other two relationships and showing off in the last one left ..

• Like 1

Character description from TVN website:

http://program.tving.com/tvn/mrsunshine/3/Contents/Html?h_seq=6

These answer some questions.

Translation:

f131757597380104346(0).png

Hwang Eun-San (ceramist)

Since he was young, he was always good with clay. From Japan, China, Russia, etc. everyone coveted his work. He was the best ceramist in Joseon.

A genius is bound to be surrounded by rumors. That he was an alcoholic, a weirdo with a bad temper, and a moody person whose mood changes day-to-day. And all these rumors were true. There were so many apprentices who couldn't last a week. And collectors who had crossed oceans were often chased away without having even seen Eun-San's shadow, let alone any ceramics. And when he gets a white porcelain piece that may come out once in 10 years, he might give it away to a local tavern where he is a regular.

But among the rumors, there were two things left out. The first is that he is a leader of an "army raised for a just cause," comprised of butchers, palace maids, noblemen, peasants, and "gapachis." The second is that he saved Eugene's life 30 years ago, when Eugene was 9 years old.

--------------------------

http://program.tving.com/tvn/mrsunshine/3/Contents/Html?h_seq=4

f131735011152440508(0).png

Kudo Hina (Hotel Glory's owner)

Before the ink dried on her Joseon name, Lee Yang-Hwa, she married early, thanks to her "Chinilpa" father's unique insight, and became Kudo Hina. But her mother could not see her marry, because despite being "the wife who has shared his burdens" she was cast out by her father for being a Joseon person.

Thanks to having a father who would sell anything he could, including his daughter or nation, she had to sell herself before anyone else could, and stand up before anyone swept her away. When her father had her married off to a wealthy Japanese landowner, she chose to bite instead of cry. She aimed at the weak spots, she bit, and she pushed them down.

Her husband died 5 years after her marriage, and she received a large inheritance as if to make up for her lifeless youth. It was Hotel Glory. The person who was happiest at her inheritance was her father, Lee Wan-Ik. Hina could see through her father, and insisted on using her husband's name so that her father could not steal the hotel.

The young and beautiful widow in Hanseong was yet another attraction for those who sought out the hotel. Modern boy, dandy boy, vagrants... any "boy" in Joseon all gathered at Hotel Glory so Hina always enjoyed great business every day. Hina was not even envious of the king. All the power in Joseon was in the hands of men, but all the men were always at Hotel Glory. Every night, Hina watched and laughed as the imperialists tore Joseon apart with their vicious tongues. Joseon should choose to bite instead of cry.  How regrettable.

Her life was always that of seconds. Her second name became her real name, and her second nation became her real nation. Now if only her second man became her real man, then her life would be perfect. That man's name was Eugene. But this man, he's looking at another woman. The granddaughter of the parliamentarian, the lady.

Go Ae-Shin. Shall I bite that wench tomorrow?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@rubie thanks for the compliment, so happy to be stripping Mr Sunshine. Waiting for WWWSK to end, then I can be fully onboard this drama. Me too, I love reading and listening to old songs , the lyrics were  just so romantic . 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

I totally forgot that Ae Shin doesnt know that ECs parents were slaves.

But, looks like Dong Mae doesnt know either.

Although, I think that he will be glad when he finds out, and that it will

make them feel closer.

Dong Mae already said to EC ''I like you''. :wub:

I hope the answer will be the same.

Fingers crossed...:D

Yes, I also like how EC isnt trying to hide his origin, and how calmly he

speaks about it.

He doesnt care what other people think.

• Like 6

I must say that I am impressed by the creativity of writer and director to be able to have all those ppl in a drama set in that time period. Really ingenious of them.....

Another ppl below in the upcoming episodes?? Gift from HS to Ae Shin?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, daydreamer115 said:

@tzupi 

Finally someone points out the hypocrisy of some people not supporting DM because he "kills" yet have no issues when Eugune betrayed his country and has killed alot of people. AS is allowed to assassinate people and kill people whose ruining her country but DM gets bashed for killing who are not exactly nice people to begin with. 

• Like 2

One thing about DM past that makes me really sad is that he left home thinking that his mother has abondened him not knowing that when his mother told him to go away it was because she wanted to protect him :tears:. This drama is showing a lot of strong mothers that are ready to sacrifice their life for their children.

I wonder if he tried to find his parents when he came back from japan...anyway I´m looking forward to know more about his past...like how he got to japan and became the leader of that gang. 

I read an article here that they were going to do some changes to his character. So far he is still the same except that the name of the gang changed...so when are the other changes coming?

• Like 6

What do you think AS meant by 'love' when she asked Eugene whether he wants to it together with her? (during the boat riding) Isn't something more like being comrades?  She also uses the term 'romantic era', but again it is not clear what she means by it. From what she says, I thought that it does not have anything to do with love, but more with lonely idealistic heroes who fight against established rules. (she seems to use the term to refer to some characteristics associated with a distinct period in the history of western culture, the romantic period. but this is puzzling, for the romantic period is at the end of the 18th century. From wikipedia, there seems to be a neo-romantic period around the end of the 19th beginning of the 20th century.)

Since we do not understand each other unless we mean the same by the terms we use, when Eugene asks her whether she wants to do love together, he must mean the same as she does. Otherwise, she would not understand what he asks. He might intend some more, but his intention would probably not be understood by AS, because she does not understand the meaning of the word---of course, there is also the possibility that meanwhile, she learned the word.

So what do you think that she meant by 'love' and 'romantic era' in the previous episodes?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tzupi said:

What do you think AS meant by 'love' when she asked Eugene whether he wants to it together with her? (during the boat riding) Isn't something more like being comrades?  She also uses the term 'romantic era', but again it is not clear what she means by it. From what she says, I thought that it does not have anything to do with love, but more with lonely idealistic heroes. (she seems to use the term in the sense that it is used to designate a period in the history of western culture.)
Since we do not understand each other unless we mean the same by the terms we use, when Eugene asks her whether she wants to do love together, he must mean the same as she does. Otherwise, she would not understand what he asks. He might intend some more, but his intention would probably not be understood by AS, because she does not understand the meaning of the word---of course, there is also the possibility that meanwhile, she learned the word.

So what do you think that she meant by 'love' and 'romantic era' in the previous episodes?

She does not really know what those words mean so her asking do you want to do love with her is just her being ignorant as to what it actually means.

• Like 3

Seeing the debate here on Dong Mae, I had also earlier stated that I am unable to root for him. I feel the same as @tzupi but I could not put it as elegantly as him/ her.

I had found it quite unbearable to watch the violence of episode 3 where he first appeared . But glad that it had toned down in later episodes otherwise I might not be able to continue to watch this drama. 

I am not a frequent or regular participant in this forum and I hardly watch any kdrama nowadays. I only got interested to come here because I finally found a kdrama that I am interested to watch but also because it is such a treat to me to be able to watch a drama led by Lee Byung Hun as his last drama was 9 years ago. 

Even then, if there is a reversal of roles between Lee Byung Hun and Yoo Yeon Seok and the character of Dong Mae is played by Lee Byung Hun instead, I would stilll feel the same. I would not be able to root for Dong Mae to be with Ae Shin although I may admire the awesome acting of Lee Byung Hun. I would root for Eugene played by Yoo Yoon Seok instead to be with Ae Shin.

Here’s hoping that that we are allowed to voice our views here even if it is against popular opinions or if we are unable to root for a particular character played by a popular actor without having to have to engage in a long debate about it as it is pretty draining and tiring for everyone. 

Here’s hoping that everyone can just chill and enjoy it for what it is. It is just a drama and all the characters are fictional ones created strictly from the imagination of the writer Kim Eun Seok herself. She must be rolling in laughter seeing we are so serious about characters that she had created. So ✌️.

• Like 8

Great highlight on the music box PPL. Could be a MR.SUNSHINE token item after the drama ended. th_note.gif Nonetheless, Eugene could afford it now but did he get one.. probably not. He's been looking at it every time he walked by the shop in episode 1. Perhaps it's his comfort zone/motivation surviving in America.

mrsun01_3.gif

mrsun01_4.gif

Besides coffee, candies and ornate tea sets.. there's chrysanthemum tea as well.. like, why not :lol:

Photos: seungkeun2

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sarang21 said:

One thing about DM past that makes me really sad is that he left home thinking that his mother has abondened him not knowing that when his mother told him to go away it was because she wanted to protect him :tears:. This drama is showing a lot of strong mothers that are ready to sacrifice their life for their children.

I wonder if he tried to find his parents when he came back from japan...anyway I´m looking forward to know more about his past...like how he got to japan and became the leader of that gang. 

I read an article here that they were going to do some changes to his character. So far he is still the same except that the name of the gang changed...so when are the other changes coming?

I am confused, I thought he saw them beat his mom soon after, and knew he was being chased because they often  collectively killed the whole family and that he knew his parents were dead before he left for Japan.  That is why she hides him in her carriage. He wasn't a runaway slave, he was butcher class, no one would be chasing him otherwise.

@charray said

Seeing the debate here on Dong Mae, I had also earlier stated that I am unable to root for him. I feel the same as @tzupi but I could not put it as elegantly as him/ her.

I had found it quite unbearable to watch the violence of episode 3 where he first appeared . But glad that it had toned down in later episodes otherwise I might not be able to continue to watch this drama. 

I am not a frequent or regular participant in this forum and I hardly watch any kdrama nowadays. I only got interested to come here because I finally found a kdrama that I am interested to watch but also because it is such a treat to me to be able to watch a drama led by Lee Byung Hun as his last drama was 9 years ago. 

Even then, if there is a reversal of roles between Lee Byung Hun and Yoo Yeon Seok and the character of Dong Mae is played by Lee Byung Hun instead, I would stilll feel the same. I would not be able to root for Dong Mae to be with Ae Shin although I may admire the awesome acting of Lee Byung Hun. I would root for Eugene played by Yoo Yoon Seok instead to be with Ae Shin.

Here’s hoping that that we are allowed to voice our views here even if it is against popular opinions or if we are unable to root for a particular character played by a popular actor without having to have to engage in a long debate about it as it is pretty draining and tiring for everyone. 

Here’s hoping that everyone can just chill and enjoy it for what it is. It is just a drama and all the characters are fictional ones created strictly from the imagination of the writer Kim Eun Seok herself. She must be rolling in laughter seeing we are so serious about characters that she had created. So ✌️.

•  

I understand how you feel about DM, he has entered a brutal world, a gang leader killing for money. Before he was butcher class, the people who slaughtered animals for food. But he has descended into crime.  Still considering the horror of his childhood I can sympathize with him. Although there is no excuse for murder for hire and he cannot in my opinion end up with Ae Shin. Although he can die for her.    At the same time, his passion is so fierce, I think AS must feel conflicted within her.  After he grabs on to her skirt, she has it burned. I think it is because she felt violated not just by the act of what he did, but because it aroused her and she wants to cleanse away that moment.  Burn away her own wanton desire, perhaps. She is a noble young woman, and she is also a killer except that she is out to kill to save her country.  

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

I am confused, I thought he saw them beat his mom soon after, and knew he was being chased because they often  collectively killed the whole family and that he knew his parents were dead before he left for Japan.  That is why she hides him in her carriage. He wasn't a runaway slave, he was butcher class, no one would be chasing him otherwise.

It wasn´t the mother that was being beaten up...the translation said that it was the leader of the butchers...I assumed that it was his father. Maybe the father helped the mother to run away and that´s the reason why he was the only one being beaten up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, daydreamer115 said:

If we're talking about Mr. Sunshine's main characters having cold blood and having no problem in killing people, we are actually talking about 3 people here - Dong Mae, Eugene and even Ae Shin. These 3 people have been killing people though the reasons behind their killings differ.  We know who Dong Mae killed and why since these were shown in this drama, as for Eugene, him being a US Marine officer and having participated in the Spanish - American war and have killed countless of men himself - he was not forced to do it and it was his own choice to be an army. And Ae Shin (& Eugene) killing the American Logan Taylor based on their own reasons. The killings made by this 3 characters could be also be argued whether or not they are justified and appropriate. 

I understand when people think Dong Mae as non-redeemable because the drama shows us how he killed those people so ruthlessly, making people shocked and horrified. But in actuality, the other characters also have no problem in killing people (regardless of their reasons). 

...adwhefbaehjgbra idk why am talking about killing and stuffs lmao sorry bye.

Sorry for cutting your post. Thank you for raising the question how justified the actions of our fighters are. I think last week or some weeks before, somebody raised the same point: Eugene being a soldier is not much different from DM's being a gang member. At that time, my first reaction was to say that there are more ethical rules in what one does in war than in how one engages in gang activities, but then I realized that we are before the Geneva conventions. Moreover, even if there might have been treatises regulating conduct during wars before 1949, I think it is clear that the Americans are in Korea for no good reasons: they are depicted as invaders. Second, as you mentioned, Eugene got himself into the army, and he does not seem to have any strong allegiance to America. So we cannot even say that he became a soldier because he loves his host country. Given all this, last week, I could not bring myself to defend the view that one's actions (Eugene) are more justified than the other one's (DM).

But after last week episodes, I think that there are some arguments to be made in favour of the view that although our characters engage in combat, there are some important differences in how they do it. Both DM and Eugene have an axe to grind: they suffered at the hand of Joseon people (aristocracy, but also poor people). Both took the path of violence to solve their issues. But it is also true that one picked a more socially accepted path to violence (the army). The Army shapes Eugene's character and, although I do not like to say it, makes him better. On the one hand, the army seems to have taught Eugene to show restraint, which is important for a person engaged in violence. (see the discussions of Eugene with his superior, Kyle--I think it is important that Kyle is his superior, not just his friend; DM mostly lacks restraint and I want him to learn it from somebody; his right-hand man is not a moral model for him, in a way Kyle might be for Eugene). Restraint also helps Eugene in a different way: people seem to come to him for help or they feel safe enough to voice their concerns and views around him. (see the conversation with the gunman and him helping the child) More generally, because he shows self-restraint, Eugene is more open to listening to people than DM is.

On the other hand, in the army, Eugene learns to care about others. I liked how Kyle pointed out to Eugene that they are in the service of American people: they are not just engaging in wars, but sometimes they need to help civilians (Taylor's wife). And at least now, Eugene shows more consideration to civilians that he did before.

So although I agree with you, that the army's actions (and by extension Eugene's actions) are not justified, I still think that the army socializes Eugene in a way that helps him find better ways to deal with his own issues and in the end help those around him.

(as you can see I haven't said anything about AS: it is not clear to me why she fights, whether it is for maintaining the privileges of the aristocracy or for a new and better society. So I am reluctant to defend her actions.)

Thank you for raising this point. I find the discussion about DM and Eugene very very interesting: as I said before, DM is a fascinating character and it is interesting to understand why at the same time some people are drawn to him, but other cannot approve his actions. 

• Like 7