[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

On 7/23/2018 at 11:06 AM, imhoooked said:

Really no one is going to talk about how hot was LBH handling that gun? I can't stop watching that scene again and again :wub:

This one? Or the upcoming episode when he took away Ae Shin's gun, to protect her?

mrsun06_6.gif

The Three Musketeers .. not quite there yet.. th_no2.gif

mrsun06_7.gif

Hi @Susie Derkins!

Oh no.. hope that's not him :o.. now that you mentioned it, I was also checking the scenes in episode 1 with Ae Shin's parents. But.. that happened 30 years ago, the man would have aged quite a bit? But we really don't know who Eun San really is either..:sweatingbullets:

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, rubie said:

Hi @Susie Derkins!

Oh no.. hope that's not him :o.. now that you mentioned it, I was also checking the scenes in episode 1 with Ae Shin's parents. But.. that happened 30 years ago, the man would have aged quite a bit? But we really don't know who Eun San really is either..:sweatingbullets:

If ageing is in question then we saw the only change in Eun-san after 30 years was is the color of his hair. That old man is still fit as a horse. I am tryna connect the dots watching the episodes once again but it's still confusing. :huh:

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

KIM YOON AH – DAYS WITHOUT TEARS (눈물 아닌 날들) MR. SUNSHINE OST PART 3

Like being caught
With feelings I shouldn’t have

Until time grew faint
You came to me

Spoiler

It’s foolish
It sounds like an excuse
But I was just scared

I keep seeing only you
In all my days

I’m so sorry
To you

So it hurts even more
I hate myself

I’m sorry
I can’t say anything else than that

Will you call my name
Just once more?

Will you stay by my side
Just once more?

I love you
My person

Whenever I open my eyes
Whenever I breathe
I miss you but I can’t see you

As if time has stopped
My painful love

POPGASA

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, charray said:

Thank you for sharing about this book. I just started reading it. A fascinating read about life in Korea during that time period through the eyes of a foreigner. She can be quite brutal in her views like this part where she wrote about the appearance of korean woman.  

There is enough content and material to be made into a movie. :wub: 

Based on the memoirs, American Legation will be closed when Japan took over Korea totally so it means Eugene would leave Korea and go back to America then?? Just speculating about the ending. :unsure:

I don't remember the details but she does go into detail about the political betrayals and conspiracies going on. She writes about who she thinks was behind the murder of the empress. And also why US walked away, and painful to read, even worse or as worse as we see depicted in dramas. YES, it could and should in my opinion be a movie.   She is a nice good hearted woman with a sincere love for humankind.  Of course there was culture shock going on so she is responding to her own cultural prejudice regarding beauty. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, charray said:

Based on the memoirs, American Legation will be closed when Japan took over Korea totally so it means Eugene would leave Korea and go back to America then?? Just speculating about the ending. :unsure:

Let's see, I'm guessing we are somewhere in 1902 timeline presently in the drama. The Japanese prime minister (visually similar to Ito Hirobumi) told a returning Lee Wan-Ik that he will invade the Korea Empire in 3 years, asking the minister to deliver the country to him.  In the conversation, the PM wanted LWI to remind Emperor Gojong of Operation Fox Hunt's sorrow (Queen Min's assassination) to instill fear into the monarchy and warned of Japanese's goal.  After hearing this, Lee Wan-Ik adopted this superior attitude toward the monarchy.  Remember him disrespecting the Russia-sided minister with his glove-slap. :angry: ( Of note, history indicated PM Hirobumi initially supported Korea’s monarchy as sovereignty but eventually agreed with the powerful Imperial Japanese Army for total annexation of Korea.  He later was assasinated by Korean nationalist An Jung-geun.)

In keeping with the timeline, Japan started to proposition and lobby the Korean peninsula with both Russia and US.  Three years from E6, in 1905, after Japan's victory in the Russo-Japanese war,  America met with Japan to discuss its position in the East Asia affairs.  There are conflicting viewpoints to whether US agreed with Japan to withdraw its presence in the country for control of the Philippines. In either case, the Japanese expressed their interest in becoming a protectorate of Korea while reassuring no interest in the Philippines (which the US has presence in after its war with Spain in 1898).  After this meeting, the US withdrew out of Korea but kept its presence in the Philippines without Japan's interference.  Russia also left after signing the treaty.

So I think the drama will continue until or/and through 1905 where Eugene will most likely stay back to join the resistance.  That could be the ending we'll get, a sad but hopeful one.  Guesses are out whether he will survive at the end.

I got some screenshots for you :lol:

The two freedom fighters that night, they are both in hiding somewhere.

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 10.56.56 AM

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 10.57.25 AM

One is Minister Song Young (right).  He has left the court.

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 10.59.30 AM

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 10.56.17 AM

His comrade.  Looks very similar @Susie Derkins. Maybe we will see Song Young soon.

Well Eun San also gives target practices to Ae Shin from Seung Gu's suggestion.  :D He receives a lot of money for his pottery, what does he spend it on?  Man is not living the big life.

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 12.41.49 PMScreen Shot 2018-07-25 at 12.50.06 PM

They reassembled the gun wrong, missing a piece... What if they build their gun based on those memories?  The gun won't work.  :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, plappi said:

KIM YOON AH – DAYS WITHOUT TEARS (눈물 아닌 날들) MR. SUNSHINE OST PART 3

Like being caught
With feelings I shouldn’t have

Until time grew faint
You came to me

This speaks to me like the tragic fate of Ae-sin and DM. I have this feeling that she is going to acknowledge him only at the last moment of his life. :tears::tears:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, charray said:

Thank you for sharing about this book. I just started reading it. A fascinating read about life in Korea during that time period through the eyes of a foreigner. She can be quite brutal in her views like this part where she wrote about the appearance of korean woman.  

There is enough content and material to be made into a movie. :wub: 

I dont know if America totally left Korea then they were still in a part of it. 

46 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

I don't remember the details but she does go into detail about the political betrayals and conspiracies going on. She writes about who she thinks was behind the murder of the empress. And also why US walked away, and painful to read, even worse or as worse as we see depicted in dramas. YES, it could and should in my opinion be a movie.   She is a nice good hearted woman with a sincere love for humankind.  Of course there was culture shock going on so she is responding to her own cultural prejudice regarding beauty. 

Did America totally leave because from what i read they still had control of a part of Korea when JP took over.

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Wotad said:

I dont know if America totally left Korea then they were still in a part of it. 

Did America totally leave because from what i read they still had control of a part of Korea when JP took over.

I don't know the details. I just remember that there was a great deal of intrigue and betrayals, greed to the extreme (shown in the drama) and that part I cannot forget is  when she describes how the US did not protect the  Koreans from Japan (which was a great hope and belief among common people) and that there were in her description men crying in the streets,  and how she actually felt ashamed of her country.   She was a dedicated missionary and doctor who got to know the Koreans and admired and loved them - not a political operator.  So it is quite stunning, when she objectively speaks about how Korea was sold out and eaten up like that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

I don't know the details. I just remember that there was a great deal of intrigue and betrayals, greed to the extreme (shown in the drama) and that part I cannot forget is  when she describes how the US did not protect the  Koreans from Japan (which was a great hope and belief among common people) and that there were in her description men crying in the streets,  and how she actually felt ashamed of her country.   She was a dedicated missionary and doctor who got to know the Koreans and admired and loved them - not a political operator.  So it is quite stunning, when she objectively speaks about how Korea was sold out and eaten up like that.

Yeah its shocking how its leaders could do that.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 5:46 PM, maddymappo said:

It is a short book. Here is the website. https://www.gutenberg.org/files/50609/50609-h/50609-h.htm

It is available for free. It is wonderful (despite the title)  and also has several pictures of that period, I show one below.  Author L. H. Underwood (Lilas Underwood).  She was there during this very same period.  She personally knew and really liked the last Empress who was so brutally 

Thank you! :wub: it will be an awesome read!!!

6 hours ago, rubie said:

This one? Or the upcoming episode when he took away Ae Shin's gun, to protect her?

Yes! This one, thanks for the gif, now I can watch it anytime, anywhere :wub:

ps: sorry for post again but I don't know how to quote two times in the same post after the change in the forum '-'

Edited by Berou
Merged posts :)
  • Like 2

@alemary You talking about this guy?

Chilbong%20YYS_zpsjtf7dx98.jpg

Well, he's on the route to make a second history of being the 'fangirling' (as you called it) nation's unrequited crush...

giphy.gif

YYS2_zps9jqupzxu.jpg

Nevertheless, do you really have to go to that extent @alemary ? *sigh*

Just stay in your heavenly ship and at least learn to be polite ... please? Thank you.

Spoiler

giphy.gif

P/S: Perhaps I am low on sugar this morning... @daydreamer115 hear, hear... although that uglified persona is just *cough* nose-bleed hotz *cough* and it's not even his fault! Never! :tounge_xd:

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, miracle23 said:

@alemary You talking about this guy?

http://i63.-/w6p1d4.jpg

Jealous much? Well, he's on the route to make a second history of being the 'fangirling' (as you called it) nation's unrequited crush...

http://i67.-/15nkryt.jpg

Nevertheless, do you really have to go to that extent @alemary ? *sigh*

Just stay in your heavenly ship and at least learn to be polite ... please? Thank you.

P/S: Perhaps I am low on sugar this morning... @daydreamer115 hear, hear... although that uglified persona is just *cough* nose-bleed hotz *cough* and it's not even his fault! Never! :tounge_xd:

Images broken ;p

Edited by Berou
Please post minimum length of 20 characters to ensure the content is worth the time to read it :)

12 hours ago, alemary said:

hardly desagree  @scarletlover1

The main and more popular ship is E and AS, im coming from a not so into kdrama field, ocasional watchers, netflix adicts, even preople who has never seeen any korean drama. People are crazy about the main couple and the story is indeed about Eugene and his reverge and love but also is abour AS and her fight and love story with an american soldier.-

The "confusion" come from the "fangirls" and i call it the Chilbong effect (reply 1994)that was so lame cause was obvious Yeon Seok wasn't the main lead and he would lose , it was clear since the beggining the girl didn't love him,  but fangirls (international and in this forum, korean NO they were ok) just couldn't accept it, it is  risky to put a "conventional" good looking actor as second lead cause especially non korean watchers start to distort the reality and the writer' clear intentions , Dong Mae is merely a secondary lead and the story in not about him although he is important, in the background, but still a secondary.-

My advise, just go with the flow and dont try AS like a trophy cause is useless and offensive as a woman, she will be with Eugene (she already hooked) but cause that's her heart not cause some "who gets the girl" contest and no, she and DM are not the ship.-

Mrsunshine Official IG 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlpocS2HweY/?taken-by=mrsunshinenetflix

Hello @alemary... Love what you wrote chingu. TBH , O don’t think he will do it. He may propose it but he won’t because from the preview he does some your if character and she also warns him of impending danger. So I will wait until the next episode to see what he does. I do agree chingu , if E uses Ae-Shin , I will be so pissed because like you said she is so into him already. He doesn’t even need to fake anything because she would abandon her fiancé in a minute to be with YuJin. It would be so disrespectful to her character especially with what she stand fo in this era.:heart::heart:

• Like 5

On 7/24/2018 at 1:48 AM, miracle23 said:

It is interesting to read your post as it portrays a contrasting view on the character. I may sound sympathetic towards DM, but truth is thus far I find his character's development the most consistent. It makes it easier to walk his path, by his side. Looking out to those little points that indicate a DM of Joseon under that facade that is a DM of Japan is like completing a puzzle. Having YYS as DM is definitely a bonus most welcome hahaha

Anyway, thanks for the good read! 

Cheers!

Thank you for your explanation and also thank you @daydreamer115.

One thing that I was surprised is how you interpreted what happened in his childhood. I did not take the behaviour of the old ladies to have anything to do with the subsequent rape attempt /rape. (I am not fully convinced it has, but who knows...) From how you understood the story, I can see why the mutilation of the old lady seems to some to be appropriate. (I still find that the punishment did not fit the crime, but as I said I can now see why people think differently.)

I agree with you DM is a very interesting character, and I like how his story shares similarities, but it is also very different from that of Eugene. I especially like that his behaviour raises questions about the limits of morality, about social desirability etc.

But despite this, I still think that the way he deals with his issues is not one that I can cheer for or approve in a person. His behaviour is toxic to society and to himself. In my opinion, he is beyond a bad boy who can be redeemed by a woman. (In fact, I do not believe that women can reform bad boys, a trope that I see a lot in Korean dramas. The trope has more to do with how men think about the role of women and how women have internalized the expectation to be the spiritual saviours of awful men). What I think he needs is a male role model. (In this respect, what saved Eugene is that he had some good male role models: the potter, the missionary, probably some of the people in the army.) Unfortunately, given the circles in which DM moves, there are no role models yet for him. In short, I want him to become morally better, for example, to fight for a better cause, or at least to find inner peace, but right now he is not doing any of these. But there are so many episodes left, so again who knows...

Thank you once again for your explanation. 

• Like 9

@tzupi Thank you to you too! While we might have different views, I enjoy reading your perspective too. Me understanding Dong Mae's origin of rage and what sparked him in doing what he did towards his parents' murderers aside, like you, I also did not agree with his violent ways in punishing people he think ought to be punished. 

The thing about Dong Mae is that people see him as a ruthless, blood hungry person because he is shown as one killing machine from the way he kills, but so far in the drama, he was only shown to kill his parents' murderers (the ahjumonis) and the two Japanese men talking about wishing to violate Ae Shin and glad that girls like her would kill themselves after. 

If we're talking about Mr. Sunshine's main characters having cold blood and having no problem in killing people, we are actually talking about 3 people here - Dong Mae, Eugene and even Ae Shin. These 3 people have been killing people though the reasons behind their killings differ.  We know who Dong Mae killed and why since these were shown in this drama, as for Eugene, him being a US Marine officer and having participated in the Spanish - American war and have killed countless of men himself - he was not forced to do it and it was his own choice to be an army. And Ae Shin (& Eugene) killing the American Logan Taylor based on their own reasons. The killings made by this 3 characters could be also be argued whether or not they are justified and appropriate. 

I understand when people think Dong Mae as non-redeemable because the drama shows us how he killed those people so ruthlessly, making people shocked and horrified. But in actuality, the other characters also have no problem in killing people (regardless of their reasons). 

...adwhefbaehjgbra idk why am talking about killing and stuffs lmao sorry bye.

• Like 9