[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

@rubie Thanks for the article. :wub: Honestly, I am at loss... people are upset that "Joseon wasn't depicted as a victim of colonization". To me, the story is quite well written as it explains very well why Joseon became a colony of Japan. Through the example of Joseon, we can observe the imperialism of Western countries (Russia, USA, GB, France) and also Japan. Yet only to say that Japan was responsible is not entirely correct. It is far too simple. The political situation of Joseon played a part as well. And let just say that in all countries occupied by Foreign forces there will always be people who support the occupant (invader). During WWII, in France many French people helped Germans for different reasons: ideology, profit, opportunity, aso. That's why I feel that this drama is really good: all the characters are flawed and heroism is not magnified. 

GDM is not romanticized at all as it is clearly shown that he uses violence and cruelty in order to gain respect. The Japanese are shown in a bad light, just like the other Western countries. On the other hand, we watch a drama hence this is clear that some characters are fictive.   

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, viktormani said:

How can you say that EC “atleast had America” when we saw how he was treated everyday, he was beaten and humiliated every single day. It was probably horrible to live in America at that time because he was “different” and we all know how Americans treated people who were different in those times. 

I mean he rose through the ranks in American military so was not hated as bad as DM in my eyes.

1 hour ago, meechuttso said:

This was ddddddaebak episode, culmination of all the set ups in the first 5 eps. There were so many amazing scenes - the trio at the bar is the new Korean classic standard - Byun Yohan is da bomb! The horse jump over the p**ck who punches his servant girl was such a cider moment. I only could wish that the horse could jump and 'shoot' at the same time.

Too bad the subbed ending is not available yet. The ending reminded me of this recently famous declaration, only more serious and possibly carrying dual motives on  EC's part.

You can substitute Eugene Choi's word 'lo-bu' with 'husband' and it almost works. Ha ha sorry for my recycled gif trolls. I think @zba72 might be the only one who appreciates it.:naughty:

where are your gifs from/

1 hour ago, rubie said:

As the controversy continues, drama's production crew stated, "It was said that the character of Koo Dong-mae romanticized the pro-Japanese stance, and that it didn't reflect the true historical context of the time. So we modified the entire character. The parts we've already finished filming will be modified according to the new character description as well." 

Wonder what this will mean for the character of DM.. im nervous.

The rest is just stupid to me its based on fictional characters. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Wotad said:

This picture and the quote “I’m someone who will always understand even if you turn your back on me hundred times ,My Lady”. - is just so impactfull. 

Sorry to cut your post short, i want to ask did DM said that when he grabbed her skirt? Because the subtitle translated what DM said differently  ".... that's the only way..."  well i don't know what it meant also :D

• Like 2

I have this love/hate relationship to KES's dramas... sometimes it works for me but more often it doesn't... I always get annoyed with her heroines because they usually don't have a lot of agency and is always used as a prize for the male lead... which really annoys me. Also, I hate it when her heroines are just so darn immature and almost borderline stupid so I would despise them which is not how I want to enjoy my kdramas lol.

When I start to watch Mr Sunshine, I thought I would just check it out to see if I would like it and also I got curious because I heard this is her first time making a historical drama... Growing up, I devour lots of historical fiction romance novels so I felt this is right up my alley and I will be able to tell immediately if I like it or not.

So far, I am loving the story and the characters that she has written... There is not one character in the drama that annoys me...yet. Also, I can actually see a possible series to be made for the world that she has created with the backdrop of the time period that she has chosen... All my favorite Historical novels were usually part of a series.... and somehow this drama is making me remember one particular favorite series called The Disputed Lands Series because that is what Joseon looks like to me in the drama, with lots of warring nations/clans and only the powerful wins. I am already imagining that this drama is the first part of a three or four part series, and that the first part will be all about Eugene and Ae Shin's love story with the other characters still major players and yet later on they will also be lead of their own story in the next part of the series... and as the series goes on with Dong Mae, Hui Seong, Hina also finding their own true love then the culmination will be that they will finally win and Joseon no longer a disputed land but a free nation... I'm already thinking the next part will be Hui Seong's love story with EC and AS, Hina and Dong Mae as supporting characters, then maybe the third/final part will be Dong Mae and Hina ending up together and a defeat of Lee Wan Ik as the ultimate enemy or something... hahaha...Oh by the way, I paired Hui Seong with Ae Shin's cousin lol...And they were able to achieve their freedom and won... all because of these three unions ha ha ha I know it's very cheesy but that is what happen in more ways than one to that historical novel series that I read... how I wish KES would make it like that because I really like all these characters and I want them to team up to protect Joseon... 

• Like 5

July 23, 2018

Mr. Sunshine: Episode 5

by dramallama Dramabeans.com

sunshine-05-00047.jpg

The plot continues to take a back seat as we delve more into Eugene’s exploration of his intentions. While he outwardly claims to be an American soldier, he finds himself sympathizing with the Joseon people. His curiosity about the powerless Joseon people — some blissfully frivolous like Hee-sung and others who are fiercely loyal like Ae-shin — seems to drive some of his indecision about whose side he’s on, whether he’s either a traitor or a patriot, and how he defines his loyalties.

More at DB ~

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, 12blbl said:

Sorry to cut your post short, i want to ask did DM said that when he grabbed her skirt? Because the subtitle translated what DM said differently  ".... that's the only way..."  well i don't know what it meant also :D

The quote is from another time he didnt say it during that scene but i think that quote along with that scene is just magic ;p 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Wotad said:

The quote is from another time he didnt say it during that scene but i think that quote along with that scene is just magic ;p 

1 hour ago, 12blbl said:

Actually that was a mistake / misheard on our part, sorry ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ when watching the making of, I thought he said  "백번을 돌아서도 이해하는 분입니다, 애기씨" (baegbeon-eul dol-aseodo ihaehaneun bun-ibnida, aegissi) since I also saw some k-fans quoted that phrase and with limited context I thought it meant that. But when the episode was released only I get to know that he actually said which was "백 번을 돌아서도 이 길 하나뿐입이다, 애기씨" (baeg beon-eul dol-aseodo i gil hanappun-ib-ida, aegissi) which literally means something like "even though I turn around one hundred times, this is the only way there is, My Lady"(?)(and Netflix put a smoother version of the translation, I guess). We've put a caption to correct it on the youtube video (click on cc). Again, sorry for the mistakes and making people misled ㅠㅠㅠㅠ 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I think it's understandable AS threw away her skirt, she didn't has any good impression with him at all and treat him as a traitor and a stranger lol and DM indeed invade her personal space,  perhaps she felt disrespected as a lady. 

But that AS-DM's scene made me hooked to continue watching this drama lol

Anyway anyone know what's the meaning of the sentence which DM said to AS? I don't get it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wotad said:

I mean he rose through the ranks in American military so was not hated as bad as DM in my eyes.

I don't know about "not hated as bad..."

It's true that it is shown EC finally getting some respect once he joined the US army and started winning battles, but it's interesting that the drama doesn't treat us to any happy memories of him prior to that. And even after he finally seems accepted, by then he has turned into such a stern and stoic person, he's so cold to everyone, and his heart has grown colder, too. Given how he was bullied on the streets and we never saw him in a warm, cozy house in his childhood and teenage years, I thought the American that helped him come to the US had abandoned him. I was surprised to see, in episode 5 or 6, that they were still in touch, and that they actually shared a warm friendship. I guess EC was left to fend for himself as a kid because the man (I forgot his name) had to keep traveling back and forth to Korea for his job.

EC rose through the ranks in the American military, but a case can be made for DM rising through the ranks of his gang as well, though compared to EC he inspires more fear than respect in the people around him.

It's amazing the similarities that they share in their life stories. Their almost like twins (both wanting revenge?) living on opposite sides, with one who seems to live an honorable life, and the other also in a position of authority, but being a gangster. There's a bromance in the making here, though I don't know how short-lived it will be (again, at the end of the day they're on opposite sides. AS might be the gluing factor.). The dialogue in the bar scene with HS was hilarious. :D 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, viktormani said:

How can you say that EC “atleast had America” when we saw how he was treated everyday, he was beaten and humiliated every single day. It was probably horrible to live in America at that time because he was “different” and we all know how Americans treated people who were different in those times. 

by "atleast had America" i mean, issues in america are very different than Japan

The fact that we are shown black in army while EC is a kid tells you that the system had started improving. Also, he was being bullied (as orphans were or a weak kid will be even today.. think oliver twist).. as any weak kid would be.. his problems were not as rooted in him being asian or low class as were DM's.

If they try to kill EC in front of policemen, do you think police would allow? Do you think someone will not eat from a plate just because a lowclass EC ate from it?.. and EC can appreciate these small things because he escaped that society.. DM just moved to a similar society

and the fact that EC became a head in army (forces where these prejudices would be worst) tells you America atleast allowed a person to dream to live a respectable life..and he is living it..

US Vs Japan is a huge factor 

4 hours ago, ari_bian said:

I have this love/hate relationship to KES's dramas... sometimes it works for me but more often it doesn't... I always get annoyed with her heroines because they usually don't have a lot of agency and is always used as a prize for the male lead... which really annoys me. Also, I hate it when her heroines are just so darn immature and almost borderline stupid so I would despise them which is not how I want to enjoy my kdramas lol.

When I start to watch Mr Sunshine, I thought I would just check it out to see if I would like it and also I got curious because I heard this is her first time making a historical drama... Growing up, I devour lots of historical fiction romance novels so I felt this is right up my alley and I will be able to tell immediately if I like it or not.

So far, I am loving the story and the characters that she has written... There is not one character in the drama that annoys me...yet. Also, I can actually see a possible series to be made for the world that she has created with the backdrop of the time period that she has chosen... All my favorite Historical novels were usually part of a series.... and somehow this drama is making me remember one particular favorite series called The Disputed Lands Series because that is what Joseon looks like to me in the drama, with lots of warring nations/clans and only the powerful wins. I am already imagining that this drama is the first part of a three or four part series, and that the first part will be all about Eugene and Ae Shin's love story with the other characters still major players and yet later on they will also be lead of their own story in the next part of the series... and as the series goes on with Dong Mae, Hui Seong, Hina also finding their own true love then the culmination will be that they will finally win and Joseon no longer a disputed land but a free nation... I'm already thinking the next part will be Hui Seong's love story with EC and AS, Hina and Dong Mae as supporting characters, then maybe the third/final part will be Dong Mae and Hina ending up together and a defeat of Lee Wan Ik as the ultimate enemy or something... hahaha...Oh by the way, I paired Hui Seong with Ae Shin's cousin lol...And they were able to achieve their freedom and won... all because of these three unions ha ha ha I know it's very cheesy but that is what happen in more ways than one to that historical novel series that I read... how I wish KES would make it like that because I really like all these characters and I want them to team up to protect Joseon... 

do you want to bet that's exactly what is going to happen..

KES is not going to delve deeper or enrichen these characters.. she puts her best in initial episodes..

AS has no connections or comrades for a cause.. she just has her mentor..

the boys fair better..

i am really curious, how much will KES actually deviate from her usual formula.. for now chances look slim.. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 1

Like some of the people who commented before, I am baffled by the defence of DM as a character, although I find the discussion about him extremely interesting and illuminating. So why exactly do people relate to DM (except for his looks and his unfortunate childhood)? We do not talk about the child DM, but the adult DM.

He is a thug, a yakuza member (or gang member), who, if left by himself, can kill people almost indiscriminately. (See the episode in which he hears about the return of the fiancee and starts beating other people). He is unnecessarily cruel, or even sadistic (see how he mutilated the woman who humiliated him as a child). In my opinion, DM does not have any excuse for what he does now. He inflicts more pain on people who are already in pain and suffer and he only thinks of himself. There is already a lot of violence in a poor community, DM is just an instrument of increasing that violence.

Does DM act like he does because he needs to survive? No, he acts like he does because he can. He can be sadistic, he can mutilate, he can kill without impunity and so he does it if it pleases him. He is different from the slave servant that beat the child Eugene, at least that guy was a slave, for whom it was hard to say no to his master. But DM actively offers his services to those in power for more looting and crime.

I do not have issues with DM's lack of allegiance to his country, but I find it problematic that he does not show any sympathy for the poor and the marginalized ones.

I find the introduction of a point of view that is neither of the higher class, nor of the army, nor of the thugs, to be the most interesting aspect of the story so far. I loved what the bad servant said to Eugene in the last episode: you cannot carry your revenge only on the weak, because they are not the only one who did wrong; go after the powerful ones too. I also liked what the gunner said to Eugene about how for the poor people, there is not much difference between the violence of the Japanese and the American army. There is also the potter, who helped Eugene, but did not take anything in return, although he does not show the same restraint with the rich ones.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, tzupi said:

Do you not think the Women who humiliated him as a child deserved what she got, i personally think those women which treated DM and his family as worse then dogs deserved what they got.  He has perfect excuses for who he is and what hes doing , why should he care about a country that did not care about him. The only person who ever cared about him was AS which is why hes infatuated with her. I think he did join the Yakuza to survive its similar to Eugene joining the military to survive. 

Why should he show any sympathy for the poor when hes basically void of all emotions apart from when it comes to AS. This character is lost and lonely and does deserve sympathy for having a country that totally let him down. 

During these times Power was everything which is why DM and Eungune got powerful. 

• Like 4

Hey everyone.

I'm enjoying this drama and look forward to it every week, but I wanted to explain a few quick impressions I had.

1st, thank you Netflix for making the episodes available right away. I hated it when they locked K-dramas in a gold vault and released them a week after the finale had aired. (Live, Prison Playbook, Bap-Noona)

Anyway, *THIS* is a large reason for all the controversy. The Korean audience is very conscious of the fact that this show is available to the international audience.

And after watching this show for a while, it occurred to me that it's not really made for the Korean audience who already know and feel this story deep down to their bones, the sorrow of becoming colonized by Japan. It's made for the international audience who don't really know this story. The show is like an outcry to the world, saying, "Look at what was done to us!"

And I think with that nationalist-consciousness, there is a strong desire to make sure the story is represented in the right way. There is embarrassment in showing the way that slaves were treated in the Joseon society. The whole feudal society is so backwards. There is embarrassment in showing how primitive and unsophisticated Joseon used to be. There is sensitivity when showing the Ku Dong-Mae character. Koreans can accept the backstory that he had to escape to Japan in order to survive, but any indication that he was ever truly loyal to Japan is an affront.

This show reminds of me something that would have been made 20 years ago, but with much higher production values.

So when you view the show through this prism, that this show isn't just entertainment for the typical Korean audience, but a sort of presentation of Korean history for the world, then a lot of what you're watching may make more sense.

--

Anyway, through that prism, here is the rest of the story.

I agree with the observation that both Eugene and Dong-Mae are similar - they are like the opposite sides of the same coin. Both were born in a "low class," and as a result barely escaped with their lives while watching their parents be brutally murdered. But both will fight for Joseon eventually. Their love for Joseon will overcome whatever heartbreak Joseon made them suffer and turn their backs before.

Ae-Shin is a symbol of Joseon. She is everything that is good in Joseon wrapped up into one person (beauty, elegance, intellect, and fierce fighting spirit), and that is why she is instantly coveted by all the main men in the show.

Hee-Sung, likewise, will fight for Joseon. He comes across as a rich fop, but we already know that he has hidden depths and a conscience. These three men will be bonded by their mutual love for Ae-Shin/Joseon and become bromantic comrades.

They each have unique strengths: Eugene has the backing of the U.S. Army (exposited very obviously in the latest episode), Dong-Mae is in deep with Japan, and Hee-Sung is the richest heir in Korea with the benefit of a Japanese education.

When Dong-Mae says as he grabbed Ae-Shin's skirt, "I kept turning my back 100 times, I keep coming back to you," he's talking about her, but really talking about Joseon. He's basically saying, "Joseon, I can't quit you!" (And the old Korean people who are watching understands this double meaning and nods in agreement.)

Spoiler

And those same people will cry, because everyone will die. Because Japan wins. Says history.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Reveal hidden contents

And those same people will cry, because everyone will die. Because Japan wins. Says history.

Spoiler

Japanese occupation of Korea lasted until 1945 when the Japanese were defeated in World War II. Following the war, Korea was divided by Western powers. Russia occupied Korea north of the thirty-eighth parallel, and the United States occupied Korea south of the thirty-eighth parallel. 

Im not sure exactly what this means but i guess Korea was basically divided so maybe they dont all die and they go to the american side or something? 

http://caforumonline.net/CAFHandlerPDF.ashx?ID=403

A nice read for anyone who wants to know about that time in a sort of basic summary.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, viktormani said:

I think that as bad as it was growing up in USA and even likely as an adult in the USA,  they are showing that he rose to Captain in the army.  You can argue that is improbable (history) and even if he was brilliant enough to rise that high (also fluent in Japanese) it is likely at the time if he was white he would have risen higher.  Still I think the general idea is that compared to the status of slave in Joseon and confronting prejudice, there was still a huge difference regarding civil rights which he had at least in theory in the USA even if with the obstacles.  But if does make you wonder if any Asians rose as high as he did in the army during that period. It appears from wikipedia the naval academy accepted Asians as of the 1860s but they were foreign nationals who did not serve in the usa army they were elites who went back to their country. Then Asian Americas were accepted about 40 years later, so it appears this show is not realistic or stretching the truth. because Capt Choi served in the Spanish American War and then was already about 40 years old when he went back to Korea at the time of he occupation.    The Japanese were being shown as being the worst of the lot, but they do show the American wife of the assassinated official as being vile.  I read a memoir auto-bio of a woman doctor who was in Korea at the time. She wrote that the Koreans really adored the whole idea of America and really hoped they would save them from the Japanese.  We see that part when Haemon Daek is talking about Capt Choi beating up the Japanese soldier who attacked the nurse maid  and how everyone was so quick to think the US would save them, and Ae-shin warns her not to have any hopes of that; But in fact according to the lady missionary doctor's memoir there were great hopes and there were grown men crying in the streets and  in terrible despair when that didnt happen, and she was really ashamed. 

This is a good time for history of this period drama because now with so much attention on Korea people are interested and open to learning about the country.

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, wchoi8 said:

Could someone please explain why they're looking for this letter?

I understand it's about the slush fund, but why are they all after it? And why was it in Logan Taylor's possession?

It seems that the king is using foreign banks to hide money, “slush accounts” and if people get that letter as proof of it, it will completely destroy the Korean hiarchy. That’s why everyone is after it, especially the Japanese since it will make the invasion on Korean soil extremely easy. (Correct me if I’m wrong though)

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, viktormani said:

It seems that the king is using foreign banks to hide money, “slush accounts” and if people get that letter as proof of it, it will completely destroy the Korean hiarchy. That’s why everyone is after it, especially the Japanese since it will make the invasion on Korean soil extremely easy. (Correct me if I’m wrong though)

I agree, the King would appear as a traitor, ready to take off and leave his people,  perhaps even stealing from the people's defenses  just to  take care of himself. end of the monarchy

• Like 9