[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

@miracle23

Hi, i see your post

DM, truly, this man need to learn how to seduce a woman haha.

He doing everything wrong!

I get that DM doesn't has any bad intention, DM just wants to feel her(dam*, that sounds wrong)

Privacy DM, privacy! Haha

When you touch any part of her including her skirt without her consent, that is invasion of privacy.

As for AS, She is a noble, live only a sheltered life.

She never feels hungry, never treated low, never beg anyone for anything.

Though she live quiet an adventurous life, she doesn't get why DM did what he did like betraying his country for example, she gets he got a hard past that make him hard around the edge, still doesn't enough to make her feel comfortable around him.

When she sees DM, like she said she sees human, but human she could not relate too.

As for throwing away the skirt, i see it as being human, when someone invade your privacy it leaves you with unpleasant feeling, you would want to erase the memory and the things that reminds you of it.

• Like 10
  • LOL 1

43 minutes ago, ladyme said:

@miracle23

As for throwing away the skirt, i see it as being human, when someone invade your privacy it leaves you with unpleasant feeling, you would want to erase the memory and the things that reminds you of it.

He grabbed like a inch of the skirt throwing it out was a bit dramatic i think unless she really hates him that much.

I wish netflix have subs for when people speak English im English and can barely understand any. 

• Like 3

July 22, 2018

Mr. Sunshine" Lee Byung-hun Wants to Team Up With Kim Tae-ri

Source: Nate via HanCinema.net

ms180.jpg

On the latest episode of the tvN drama "Mr. Sunshine", Eugene Choi (Lee Byung-hun) approached Go Ae-shin (Kim Tae-ri).

Eugene Choi struggled to find the place where his parents were buried. He found the slave who hid them, but he couldn't find their grave. He yelled at the slave, "You should have at least given them a proper burial!" But the slave said someone else was behind his parents' end. He mentioned Lee Se-hoon (Choi Jin-ho).

Eugene, Koo Dong-mae (Yoo Yeon-seok), and Kim Hee-seong (Byun Yo-han) were drinking together. All three of them were involved with Go Ae-shin for different reasons. Eugene and Dong-mae found out Hee-seong was Ae-shin's chosen husband and things between them were awkward.

Hee-seong and Ae-shin bothered Eugene. He asked her if she was going to marry him and she said, "We've drifted apart".

Meanwhile, the fate of the Joseon was in Eugene's hands. He had the certificate of deposit, which was what Dong-mae was looking for. Eugene wondered who Dong-mae really was.

Eugene thought hard about Hee-seong. Then, he went to Ae-shin and asked her to love him.

• Like 6

The scene where Eugene walked her home, while reading his confession letter with his deep manly voice was breathtakingly beautiful I can’t get it out of my mind. That beautiful ost didn’t help either.

Eugene : I almost stopped her and told her not to leave so that we can walk together for a bit longer, to that faraway place.

me : get yourselft together. Breathe. You don’t want to be found dead while watching korean dramas, right ? :wub:

• Like 6
  • LOL 5

I, too, am still puzzled by As's throwing the dress. I'm not sure it was just out of pure anger and disdain. I think that there is also sadness, disappointment (as she told him) because all she can see is that he has embraced the Japanese way of living (Joseon's enemy), obviously she is still feeling hurt from his words from when they were kids, and... not many will agree with me here, but I've been wondering if she threw the dress away also because she was mad at herself (despite her coldness toward him, I'm not sure she is succeeding in hating him, and that might annoy the heck out of her). It seems obvious every time they are together that they have a strong connection. The first thing I thought when I saw their first scene was that there is a fine line between love and hatred, and the initial butting of head sometimes hides the passion within. EC intrigues her and is occupying more and more of her thoughts, but if he hadn't been around, and if DM were to show that he actually cares about Joseon's fate (or about whatever cause she is fighting for), I wonder if he would have won her over. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, 122am said:

I'm betting that EC is going to give that wooden hair-stick (the only physical thing he has left of his family) to Ae Shin as a love-guarantee.

@bedifferent Can't wait for them to start their "love" project! Ae Shin is so NOT ready for it. Girl needs to know what she is asking about, that is dangerous with a manly man like EC. I think EC will eventually tell her about his slave background. It's so complicated and at the same time they are falling in love so subtly and deeply. 

I have a burning question in my head:

Is the child actor of baby-slave-Eugene and the child actor of Do-mi (water boy that Eugene hired, whose sister works for the Logan family) the same little boy?

Or are they brothers or something?

They look exactly the same with the braided little-boy hair.

Really, I think Eugene will give the document as his love-guarantee.  :lol:  You know if he does that, he could be considered a traitor to his adopted country, USA?   

The child actors sure look alike, I don't think they are the same person...lol.

I see a lot of support and love here for DM :)  Not sure if Ae Shin can express anything pleasant toward DM at this point since any kindness would be interpreted as sympathy or even non patriotic on her part since he is considered the "enemy".  What she feels as a child is different as it is more about her reaching out to someone below her class in society.  This is a sensitive subject for KES as a writer.   Dong Mae gets respect from the people of Joseon through fear and intimidation.  Ae Shin and her fighting spirit is against all that Dong Mae represents at face value.  The only way I think he can get through her is by showing a little more vulnerability or through his actions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Kim Huiseong, mah on man I really love this kind of character. my typeeeee

hope he's not like his family and be a good person, please please pleaseee :"

and Goo Dongmae, oh honey, why are you scaring the one you love like that? if you love her just do something nice, don't scare her like that:""""

• LOL 4

2 hours ago, ladyme said:

@miracle23

Hi, i see your post

DM, truly, this man need to learn how to seduce a woman haha.

He doing everything wrong!

I get that DM doesn't has any bad intention, DM just wants to feel her(dam*, that sounds wrong)

Privacy DM, privacy! Haha

When you touch any part of her including her skirt without her consent, that is invasion of privacy.

:sweat_smile: DM is an untamed horse - gad, that sounds even soo wrong! *hide!*

2 hours ago, ladyme said:

As for AS, She is a noble, live only a sheltered life.

She never feels hungry, never treated low, never beg anyone for anything.

Though she live quiet an adventurous life, she doesn't get why DM did what he did like betraying his country for example, she gets he got a hard past that make him hard around the edge, still doesn't enough to make her feel comfortable around him.

When she sees DM, like she said she sees human, but human she could not relate too.

That's the thing... he is not even an actual horse hehehe... She saved him, didn't she. So, she at least was aware of his predicament, even her maid told her of what was happening at the village where his parent were tortured. At least a grown up AS should be able to put two and two together. Unless, she is actually not remembering anything from that day except that they were both inside her palanquin.

Like a story of a grandmother who was brought to court for stealing bread. The judge, a mayor of the city who was known for his kindness and genuine feelings towards common man, asked why she did it. She said she had no choice because then her grandchildren will be hungry. If she were sent to jail, no one will be able to take care of her grandchildren. In the end, he still had to fine the old lady in accordance to the law but he paid the fine with his own money and let her go. He then charged everyone in the court 50 cents as a penalty for indifference and ignorance in the community. 

If AS can't even reciprocate and relate to a fellow human, originating from same country nonetheless, then how can she move forward in her fight for the country? There are people who make up the entire country. A country cannot prosper with just lands and trees and the animals. A fight for ones country is a fight for its people, for the unfairness to all citizen not just for any particular class. If any one is in pain, you feel them too; if they cry, you cry with them; if they do bad things, you try to understand why they did that so that you can help them not to do it again, of course they first will have to deal with the consequences of their actions. Therefore, AS's conviction, to me, is a bit flimsy, it seems.

As someone who is an avid reader of the current happenings in the world outside of her comfort home; and a noblewoman who roams about the city as she pleases be it day or night, she should have enough knowledge from her observations, if she actually observes, that life is not easy in town. (I am imagining Lara Croft as I am writing this, yikes!) Hence, sheltered is not something I would refer to AS. Ignorant, perhaps? :smile: She can relate to Eugene who also went over and became an American, but she can't do the same to, perhaps, DM? Even her reaction to Hina is way better, cause of communication they had. A short break the ice moment. With DM it is just close the eyes moment, why bother...hehehe... Is it because she learnt that he went about killing people, but she did that too, regardless of who the victims are. The end does not justify the means, my lady :smile:. Being a noble is convenient to her but if she really is a compassionate person.... well, I rest my case. 

I am an introvert, I don't like attention and I fear dogs. During one of my trips, I had an airport guard dog sniffing, climbing on my scared panic self and licking my pants, my behind to be exact, in the public! :joy: Checking for drugs perhaps, but it got attracted to the chocolate stains that I sat on during the flight. That dog invaded my privacy, and I really hated the dog. I came home with that bad memory on replay. After few hours, I finally concluded, oh well, it's just doing its job. I was partly responsible as well for not washing the stains properly... then I washed my pants and moved on, I still wears it. :lol:

Morale of the story: Even if DM is a dog, the whole holding onto that tiny part of her skirt situation is not worth throwing it away. Its context and why he did that are the one worth pondering or even reflecting upon though. Thus, I cannot relate to such abrupt reaction.

Sorry KES, I am seeing inconsistencies here. Can't help it. It's fun though, analyzing the drama as I watched it. Stimulate my brain and give me some perspective about life. We know not everything in a drama is fictional. There are things you can learn from too.

Cheers ladies!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Is there anyone here who wants more of Kudo Hina??...i loves character like Hina, seems strong and enchanting but only got to see her for few minutes,like 3 to 5 minutes the most.. T-T

cant get enough of Hinaaa, wish i can see her more in following episodes.

i want to watch story revolves around Hina as well, mybe the sisromance with AS, chemistry with DM, and how her teenage days were..really curious ^-^

• Like 5

“Mr. Sunshine” Tops List of Most Buzzworthy Dramas For 1st Time

Mr.-Sunshine.jpg

“Mr. Sunshine” has topped the list of Most Buzzworthy Dramas of the week for the first time!

The list was revealed on July 23 and showed that “Mr. Sunshine” had broken the six-week streak set by “What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim” to be on top this week. There is only a one percent gap between the two dramas. A lot of buzz was created around “Mr. Sunshine” this week, with many people discussing the petition that was created addressing the historical inaccuracies in the drama.

In third place came tvN’s new Monday-Tuesday drama “Let’s Eat 3.” The fate of Seo Hyun Jin, the lead character from season two, in the second episode of the show became a hot topic amongst viewers.

Check out the full list below:

1. tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine” (16.18 percent)

read full article>>> https://www.soompi.com/2018/07/23/mr-sunshine-tops-list-buzzworthy-dramas-1st-time/

• Like 4

13 hours ago, viktormani said:

I don’t understand how people can ship AS with DMS, it is clearly showed that AS is terrified of him and he seems to think that if he can’t have her no one else can.. when he found out that her fiancé came back he had that killer look like he wanted to kill someone. It feels like a toxic ship you guys are building. I’m not trying to start anything but if some of you can explain why you ship them please elaborate for me why you do :).

I don't ship her with anyone (and at this point, the one who can really guide her well is or can be her fiance.. if KES gives him some awesome twist of being a freedom fighter as well.. since his time in japan).. anyways, coming back to your ques:

1. DM and EC are practically the same, difference - one ran away to japan, the other to US. US = freedom, no caste system, its usual boring human vices being an issue in torturing each other; Japan  = another asian country with exact same society DNA.. lowly class will always be lowly class.. you still don't earn any respect for being a human being

2. DM - given above stated circumstances, fell in love when he saw aristrocrat girl save her... and this is truly a forbidden romance on multiple levels : a slave can't have aristrocrat's daughter, she is a woman highly regarded and DM is madly, passionately is in love with her.. she is the best and he feels her superiority, his occupation is something she looks down upon..  there was no one to show kindness to DM.. EC atleast had joseph.. and america in general

However, the reason DM feels dangerous is when we look at him from KTR's perspective, he is a dangerous, filthy, disgusting, repulsive, acting beyond his rights kind of a person. She is a judgemental character, that drama has well established that and she judges without thinking through things. To her, she saved a boy's life and he is killing other koreans. She also subconsciously has this class aspect in her mind (there is a good reason she doesn't know EC's "class" up until now; greatest proof of this is how she spoke with her mentor before she realized he is the only one who can mentor her, in ep 2)... so DM will always be a lowly person.. and when such a person shows as much audacity to touch her or even look at her.. as audience you may feel her disgust.. she is uncomfortable and therefore no matter how wrong she is, the uncomfortable feeling will always leave behind an impression

On shipping: there is no reason to not ship them - he is as loyal as men can come, only if KTR could judge him on his own merits and instead of looking down upon him , could actually guide him otherwise (ofcourse she doesn't know that he loves her and she can actually control him) - this could be a b'ful love story but unfortunately this is not the story that this writer is telling.

3. EC - KTR lives in a world where the only person she knows who is aligned to her ideology is her mentor.. in that circumstance, she bumped into EC.. man with a rifle , killing the bad guy.. and he looked korean yet leading american army..

right there you have all kdrama- disney ingredients : The man is good looking, rich, POWERFUL (an asian commanding american soldiers :P .. nothing can be more powerful.. even ruling japan pales in front of that), and he is enigmatic... KTR didn't have any of her usual society's knowledge to judge EC.. and therefore she is infatuated by curiosity which is slowly turning into admiration , because he is all that that she isn't

Because she is excited, as audience you also feel the same excitement and hence EC-AS would make sense

But he is pretty similar to DM - he lusts her too, he respects her too for precisely the same reasons ( both DM and EC had very very strong mothers.. unfortunately one's had to bear with lust of other men, other's died before that could happen.. and in that they find this strong willed woman) , but he has army etiquettes with him that just make the world of a difference (Q: something someone never saw and learnt, can it be held against him? Not at this point.. if someone teaches how to behave with AS and then also he continues being the same, then you can make a case against DM-AS)

4. Fiance: my most interesting character at this point in the story..

KTR immediately judged him (and not because she heard rumours or that he didn't return.. but because what she thinks of aristocracy and their shallowness.. according to her she is the only one with burning passion for her country.. ) and has been living with that judgement. Upon his return,s he looked down upon him. Because of this, she doesn't respect, doesn't like him, doesn't want to spend even a moment with him, and she believes he is a playboy and a man who would treat low class people poorly ( contrast this with DM , exact same situation but DM disgusts her while fiance doesn't :) ) 

Anyways, like i said, KTR has this superior pride in her ideologies and she thinks very few are mature enough to think like that.

It would be a brilliant move, if only KES could show us that fiance is actually far more intelligent man than anyone gathers and a very efficient freedom fighter (wer saw how upset he was that he meets people who have been tortured by his dad/granddad)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

there was no one to show kindness to DM.. EC atleast had joseph.. and america in general

How can you say that EC “atleast had America” when we saw how he was treated everyday, he was beaten and humiliated every single day. It was probably horrible to live in America at that time because he was “different” and we all know how Americans treated people who were different in those times. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, rubie said:

Meanwhile, the fate of the Joseon was in Eugene's hands. He had the certificate of deposit, which was what Dong-mae was looking for. Eugene wondered who Dong-mae really was.

Eugene thought hard about Hee-seong. Then, he went to Ae-shin and asked her to love him.

This was ddddddaebak episode, culmination of all the set ups in the first 5 eps. There were so many amazing scenes - the trio at the bar is the new Korean classic standard - Byun Yohan is da bomb! The horse jump over the p**ck who punches his servant girl was such a cider moment. I only could wish that the horse could jump and 'shoot' at the same time.

Too bad the subbed ending is not available yet. The ending reminded me of this recently famous declaration, only more serious and possibly carrying dual motives on  EC's part.

tumblr_p7mzplU5yV1valxs7o5_400.gif   tumblr_p7mzplU5yV1valxs7o8_400.gif  

You can substitute Eugene Choi's word 'lo-bu' with 'husband' and it almost works. Ha ha sorry for my recycled gif trolls. I think @zba72 might be the only one who appreciates it.:naughty:

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Oh God, I’ve said before that I want Aeshin to seriously get hurt and Eugene to actvate war-mode inside him. After watching the last scene in which he agreed to do “love” together, I wanted it even more. The look in his eyes is clearly revenge. I want him to see her get hurt and feel the excruciating pain inside his heart. He would condemn himself for trying to use her as a part of his revenge. I hope this plot doesn’t drag for too long because, man, I can’t imagine Eugene hurting her. He loves her. He really does. He won’t and of course, he can’t let anyone including himself hurt her. I have my faith in you, Captain !

• Like 7

July 23, 2018

'Mr. Sunshine' embroiled in history distortion dispute 

e8e7dd8a15d745a4921b2cf91c725ceb.jpg

Yoo Yeon-seok in tvN drama "Mr. Sunshine" / Courtesy of CJ ENM

By Park Jin-hai The Korea Times

The romance drama "Mr. Sunshine," which has been enjoying a strong response from drama fans, has been dragged into a history distortion dispute. 

The much-anticipated show, written by star writer Kim Eun-sook, has been accused of being an apologist for pro-Japanese collaborators before Japan's colonial rule of Korea as well as being based on historical inaccuracies. 

The 24-part drama, set in Korea in the late 1800s and early 1990s before the Japanese occupation, tells of a wartime romance between Korean-born U.S. Marine Eugene Choi (played by veteran actor Lee Byung-hun) and Ko Ae-shin (Kim Tae-ri), a daughter of a family opposing Japanese imperialism. 

The first controversy has been raised by Yonsei University professor Oh Young-Seob, who said some of the basic historical facts portrayed in the 40 billion won-budgeted drama were wrong. 

He said the drama incorrectly showed Americans staying in Korea before the 1871 U.S. States expedition to Korea, and a scene in which female lead Ko, a member of the righteous army, assassinating an American is also based on incorrect information, because at that point the independence movement fighters didn't harbor hostility toward Americans. 

It left some regrets that the drama, which airs globally through Netflix, spent so much on high-end cinematography but lacked research and consultation on the historical setting. 

Bigger disputes followed with the character Koo Dong-mae, played by Yoo Yeon-seok, a boy from a lower-class butcher family, went to Japan and returned to Korea as a member of notorious the Black Dragon Society.

Many people pointed out the organization was historically pro-Japanese. The society is suspected of being involved in the assassination of Empress Myeongseong, wife of King Gojong. 

The sub male lead character, who secretly loves Ko, was featured having no choice but to become a pro-Japan collaborator because the country abandoned him first, justifying his cruelty. Viewers were uncomfortable with some scenes depicting the 1392-1910 Joseon Kingdom as an uncivilized country being introduced to electricity, hotels and trains thanks to Western powers. 

As the controversy continues, drama's production crew stated, "It was said that the character of Koo Dong-mae romanticized the pro-Japanese stance, and that it didn't reflect the true historical context of the time. So we modified the entire character. The parts we've already finished filming will be modified according to the new character description as well." 

Koo's Black Dragon Society was changed to a fictional name. 

On July 16, a petition appeared on the Cheong Wa Dae website calling on the government to prevent factual errors in period dramas. The petition stated, "In the historical facts that there are definite perpetrators and victims, Joseon was not depicted as a victim of colonization but instead one that invited it. Koo Dong-mae's character is a villain but by showing reasons why he had to join the pro-Japanese organization, his actions have been justified." 

As of today, more than 20,000 people joined the online petition. 

"Many recent fantasy period dramas have made many viewers regard period dramas as more dramatized than historic. But the Japanese occupation is one of the most sensitive eras because it holds a historical perspective that is connected directly to the present day," said Jung Duk-hyun, a culture critic.

jinhai@ktimes.com 

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, meechuttso said:

You can substitute Eugene Choi's word 'lo-bu' with 'husband' and it almost works. Ha ha sorry for my recycled gif trolls. I think @zba72 might be the only one who appreciates it.:naughty:

@meechuttso LOL ... how can i forget !  I still miss them :wub:

I forgot to mention apart from Aeshin fanboys gathering, i really enjoy watching this scene.  Logan’s widow holds no bar and lashed out at that annoying traitor.  Serves hin right KWIM?  Btw, is he Hina’s dad?  i read somewhere that says he is her dad.  

• Like 5