[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

Whaaat?! They were rowing the boat in a makeshift pool! :P Life is but a dream..

Row, row, row your boat
Gently down the stream
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily
Life is but a dream

mrsun03_4.gif

mrsun03_5.gif

• Like 1
  • LOL 9

@Ahpheng @USAFarmgirl I have just started watching this drama and I must say, I got hooked right away for many reasons:

- the cinematography is so beautiful

- the story is intriguing and the characters well written

- the acting is superb.

When Eugene Choi says that America is his home, we can understand where he is coming from. In his childhood, he was a slave on the run and now that he has returned, he is not treated well either (bad remarks or f. ex. the chicken offered by the lady working at the tavern). Striking is that EC has not realized yet that while he was away, Joseon changed: The Gabo reforms abolished slavery and class system and this is exactly why EC resented and hated Joseon. People treats Lady Ae Shin much better, she is even described as a noblewoman therefore in his eyes, the class system is still existent. 

I feel that Ae Shin is also ignorant because she was raised in a privileged environment. It is easy for her to call GDM a traitor, when she has never experienced herself such an injustice. She was never treated like trash all her life, how can someone be loyal to a country, when the country is treating him or her like things or even as if they were nothing? Moreover, Ae Shin was born much later hence she never witnessed that there was slavery in Joseon. It is also easy for her to say that each life should be considered as precious, when in reality this wasn't the case. DM was right: she had no idea that her words were not true in Joseon. On the other hand, AS did save DM and as such, she showed that she would stick to this statement.

As we can see, GDM and EC have more in common: both resent Joseon and its society for being treated like trash... yet their path is different. GDM is much more brutal, he is definitely seeking revenge, while EC is still hesitating if he should seek revenge and use his position to do it. EC is much calmer. It is interesting that while EC is taking his time to remember the past (the different places where he hid), he not only remembered his suffering but also he discovered that people did help him. He realized that the slave hunters did save his life. GDM rather rushed to his home town and killed the people responsible for his parents' death. That's why I feel that EC will realize that his image of Joseon has not been entirely correct. Besides, for the first time, he sees a noblewoman taking sides, hears that she is treating commoners very well hence she is very appreciated by people. EC had a rather negative image of aristocrats. His perception of Joseon will change. Moreover, since he helped this young boy, the latter will show him affection and welcome him. On the other hand, I believe that EC will realize that his home country America is not different as at the end, USA will give up on Joseon and allow Japan to take over Korean.    

• Like 13

Hello, hello to more people joining the drama thread! th_hello.gif Love all your good input & wonderful sharing! In time for another intense episode .. what will happen tonight.. will the Lady Ae Shin FC members increase? :rolleyes:

Besides new soundtrack coming out each weekend, it's definitely a treat that tvN is releasing the behind-the-scenes and film-making snippets, pretty cool indeed! :DThank you for the highlight & posting the videos here! Despite the heavy theme of the drama, the actors were having fun & getting along well together. Lee Byung Hun and Jo Woo Jin played enemies in Inside Men, but as Eugene & Im Gwan Soo, both of them have the best and funny bromance. :P

The chemistry between Eugene and Ae Shin works well on and off screen, too. Hopefully there will be more of everyone in the cast filming footage released soon.

mrsun03_6.gif

mrsun03_7.gif

Spoiler

mrsun03_9.gif

• Like 8

Spoiler

http://E3CFC50A-79B5-43BE-B4A0-EB642A507509_zps

Posted on Weibo. Fans are speculating  if that is the ending scene which they already filmed at the same time as episode 1 like Goblin. Whether writer and director is repeating same stunt. Haha.....

Seems that the picture was posted by a cast member but not sure how true it is or if it is just a hoax or speculation.

Spoiler alert. Please do not click above if you do not want to spoil the drama...haha....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, charray said:
  Hide contents

Posted on Weibo. Fans are speculating  if that is the ending scene which they already filmed at the same time as episode 1 like Goblin. Whether writer and director is repeating same stunt. Haha.....

Seems that the picture was posted by a cast member but not sure how true it is or if it is just a hoax or speculation.

Spoiler alert. Please do not click above if you do not want to spoil the drama...haha....

If I remember correctly, i saw a scene from one of the music video where AS fell to the ground and crying.  It was snowing and she was on a snow covered open field.  The scene was an aerial view and the outfit looked similar.  Another scene EC was walking in the snow also open field.  Maybe somewhat connected to the above photo.  If we were to read the lyrics of the  OST ‘the day’, it sounds pretty sad.  I hope the ending has some glimpse of hope like Goblin.  Nonetheless I will continue watching because I just love everything about this drama:) 

• Like 3

Annyeong everyone

Hi @Ahpheng chingu, I love your comic strips. Once I see it, I'm so glad you are here too.

Hello @bebebisous33 chingu, yeah you have joined this thread that means I'm going to enjoy reading your comments. I love to read all comments posted by everyone but I'm a bit lazy to post because whatever I'm thinking or planning to share, are all shared by you all.

Hi @rubie just want to say thank you for all the clips you shared here. :)

• Like 5

Just finished watching episode 5.

Noted that TVN or the production house had addressed the feedback about the historical distortion by flashing a big disclaimer right at the start of the episode that this is a fictional  story based on some historical events and the characters and organisations are fictional too.

I think after this backlash, in future, Kim Eun Seok will stick to writing fantasy romance and romantic comedy. It is a pity as I am personally enjoying the drama and story. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, charray said:

Just finished watching episode 5.

Noted that TVN or the production house had addressed the feedback about the historical distortion by flashing a big disclaimer right at the start of the episode that this is a fictional account and story based on some historical events and the characters are fictional and some events are fictional too.

I think after this backlash, in future, Kim Eun Seok will stick to writing fantasy romance and romantic comedy. It is a pity as I am personally enjoying the drama and story. 

If they didn´t put the disclamer before then I kind of understand the backlasch. Usually when the story is not entirely based on historical event there should always be a disclamer especially when it comes to such sensitive topic. So I think the production team was in the wrong this time.  

Hi everyone...I have been following the thread as a silent reader and have been enjoying all of your posts. 

So far I´m enjoying the drama and can´t wait to see what´s in store for us in the future. :D 

Shout out to @bebebisous33 @alekaonu @Ahpheng @Mau_Cherry

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Sarang21 said:

If they didn´t put the disclamer before then I kind of understand the backlasch. Usually when the story is not entirely based on historical event there should always be a disclamer especially when it comes to such sensitive topic. So I think the production team was in the wrong this time.  

Agree that they should have done so right from the start and could have avoided all the backlash. 

But it seems now there is some new feedback that the English subs are different from the dialogue in Korean. Maybe some of you who are conversant with Korean can let us know if the English subs in Netflix reflects the dialogue or not. Feel a bit ‘cheated’ if the subs are not correct. Sigh :mellow:

Had they changed the name of the gang from Black Dragon Society to Musin Society instead? Or are they referring to a new gang? Like it is not confusing enough to viewers. 

• Like 4