[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

1 hour ago, inna75 said:

@rubie.thank you for clearing the changing cloth thingy..maybe the version that I watched, the subbed is kinda vague, I was cracking my brain out trying to understand the significant of the scene...hehehe..kamsahanida

Similar to the rest of you, yeah, I think following KES legacy is writing rom-historical-melodrama, this will be another open ending one (with some hint of sad ending). Just out of curiosity, especially to those who are Korean history experts in this thread, are any of these characters based on real person? Or is this like Titanic i.e the event is true but the characters are fictional? Anyway, if the answer is yes i.e the characters are made up, then we can have more latitude in predicting how all of these characters will end, give and take it suits the historical timeline. .As for me, I predicted that the sad ending refers to the ending of both Dong Mae and Kudo Hina as we know how the Japanese troop ended in the Korean war. Kim Hee Sung will also have sad ending too, given his grandfather pretty much was responsible for all the chaos in Joseon. The lead characters or the OTP, on the other hand,  will have an open ending. I think Eugene Choi will go back to America to finish up his service and Lady Ae Shin will remain to help her people build up the country again. 

Having said that, I have no high expectation for the ending (read: not expecting any happy ending) for the OTP. But I would like to see more interaction between the OTP in each episode as we get there. In the last 2 latest eps, the time they appear in any scene together is rather limited, IMHO. I believe this is intended by the writer and PD nim so that we can focus on the history but still I was not really satisfied. When I said more interaction, I dont meant all those usual romantic moment (even if there are many scenes whereby Eugene Choi could do more than just staring at her..hehehe..like put her shoes on for her at the tailor shop or maybe rock the boat until both of them fell into the lake and he could save her, or put on the hair clip for her, etc) But after watching DOTS and Goblin, I learn not to expect the "usual romantic" scenes from both KES and the PD nim( which I'm okay with it since i already had my weekly dose from "What's Wrong With Secretary Kim?" hehehe)  but I do expect a fresh, creative interaction scenes between the OTP, including during the time they work together in fighting their common enemies which are the Japanese (p/s I would like to see more of scenes like on the rooftop and the hand over face thingy). And I hope we will get more of that in the next 20 episodes even if they do not end up  together..

#justmy2cents

Build up the country again until 1910 when Japan fully invade. The king dies and they basically rule Japan until end of WW2? Women were also mistreated during the occupation so i would not like Lady Ae Shin to remain there. Im still unsure about DM i think he will most likely die for Ae Shin.

I dont think it follows any real character but is following history i guess?

54 minutes ago, SCSfanz said:

is this drama worth watching? I am hesitating to start cos the age gap between the leads is like. :fearful: dont' think  i wanna watch a dad kissing his daughter. 

Watch it , i was like that but changed my mind after watching. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SCSfanz said:

is this drama worth watching? I am hesitating to start cos the age gap between the leads is like. :fearful: dont' think  i wanna watch a dad kissing his daughter. 

I was worried while watching the trailer too! But after realizing that she's actually almost her 30s irl and 2  episodes in, I CANT GET ENOUGH OF THEM TOGETHER.

13 minutes ago, Wotad said:

Why do i have a feeling DM will die for her .

Aaahhh Yoo Yeon Seok. Five years later and I'm still not over his Chilbong.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jannedrumsit said:

I was worried while watching the trailer too! But after realizing that she's actually almost her 30s irl and 2  episodes in, I CANT GET ENOUGH OF THEM TOGETHER.

Aaahhh Yoo Yeon Seok. Five years later and I'm still not over his Chilbong.

Yoo Yeon Seok who is that?

• Like 1

Sone random thoughts from episode 4:

Eugene Choi explaining why he is staying in Glory Hotel to Ae Shin on his own without her even asking, like a guilty husband caught red handed by a fuming Wife. That was funny. But it shows he is beginning to like her. I like this scene. :D

The scene where he is questioning her again. She is sitting on his seat again as if she belongs there and he allows her to do that.....:D We have to thank the interpreter for his initiative to create these opportunities for our OTP to meet. Really like their interactions.

I also like how Eugene helped the boy and his sister  fought the Japanese baddie but told the boy that this is his own fight and he is only supporting him. But is this a prelude to the position that he would take with regards to the future fight by Joseon people for the sovereignty of Joseon? 

I also like the scene when he went to get information from the 2 former slave hunters turned traders. And the relevation that they actually found him and knew that he was hiding in the crate but chose to let him off. I felt this realisation is going to help him reconcile with his past......that it was not as bad as he thought...that there were good people in Joseon who helped him......

Don’t quite get it:

How did Kim Min Jun’s character suddenly  develop her one sided crush on Eugene......I am like when and how did it happen? How did Dong Mae develop his one sided crush on Ae Shin? From that one encounter in their childhood? I am not feeling it. Show must give them more interactions and encounters together for it to be more believable to me. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, charray said:

Don’t quite get it:

How did Kim Min Jun’s character suddenly  develop her one sided crush on Eugene......I am like when and how did it happen? How did Dong Mae develop his one sided crush on Ae Shin? From that one encounter in their childhood? I am not feeling it. Show must give them more interactions and encounters together for it to be more believable to me. 

I believe the DM one sided crush on Ae Shine alot more then the other one. I being saved and falling for that person is alot more believable.  She was the first one to show him kindness etc.. 

• Like 5

lol.. ep 4 when tae ri says " fan mida to her coach when he shows her the stolen gun.. that's just lol..

nobody used to talk like that back then.. so i don't know is it on purpose goof up :P

and well that bakery brand in blue is being promoted through french bakery jelly :)

I wish the fiancee is some great thinker and a freedom fighter.. while lead and second lead are great.. from husband aspect, i do see this third guy to be a better fit.. who can bring laughter and generally guide tae ri' s character to broaden her horizons, make her learn restraint, make her see different perspectives, and make her a much better freedom fighter.. because he can truly guide her.. the other two need her more than she needs them for them to find meaning in life

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

lol.. ep 4 when tae ri says " fan mida to her coach when he shows her the stolen gun.. that's just lol..

nobody used to talk like that back then.. so i don't know is it on purpose goof up :P

and well that bakery brand in blue is being promoted through french bakery jelly :)

I wish the fiancee is some great thinker and a freedom fighter.. while lead and second lead are great.. from husband aspect, i do see this third guy to be a better fit.. who can bring laughter and generally guide tae ri' s character to broaden her horizons, make her learn restraint, make her see different perspectives, and make her a much better freedom fighter.. because he can truly guide her.. the other two need her more than she needs them for them to find meaning in life

Im unsure about the Fiancee at the moment we dont know much about him . 

After watching 4th Episode, I think I will combine my thought with some parts from the other episodes. Here goes:

1. I find the flow a bit jumpy in some scenes. Part where the maid chit chatting with Hina was abruptly ended and the subsequent scene felt detached and unrelated - though the script was sassy on the maid's part when she denied the glory of being rescued - including the sudden chat about hotel. Seems out of place at that moment. I feel even if left out, it won't change anything to original flow.
  2. Ae Sun's parts are definitely fillers worth left out.
  3. I appreciate slow-mo scenes, when well executed, just like in Money Flower. It showcases great cinematography and execution of feelings that the characters are trying to relay. There are some here I find make the flow a bit draggy.
  4. I don't think Eugene will kill HS's parents. He was more angry that the one main culprit has died earlier before he could seek proper revenge.
  5. I am not sure I am getting at Eugene's way building up to his latest motivation for revenge. In ep. 3 he was asking whether he should confront his enemy or standing for America all the way. Hmm... I am feeling his thought as a bit delayed. If this was shown much earlier e.g. onboard the ship on his way to Joseon or on the day he arrived, I would have followed through. In ep 2 he was shown pondering in the morning at Glory Hotel, but it was AS in his mind, and her norigae being compared to the old ones... am I supposed to deduct that seeing her norigae is what motivates him to consider between acting on his revenge or remain a soldier to his new country? Unfortunately, I am not getting it. In addition, he also mentioned that he's getting farther and farther. But he is yet to act on anything that can be classified as going farther to the dark and unknown territory. He is yet undecided on what he should do. Going to america to live is not considered going farther. Distance wise, yes, America is far from Joseon. But as a person, he is very much still choi yoo jin a Joseon man, attached to his motherland, despite his westernised appearance. 
  6. As opposed to Eugene, I feel DM is the one that has really gone farther. He is remorseful and vengeful towards the country that treat him and his family as such. He acted on his revenge when he got the power. Despite AS telling him that all lives are precious, DM proceeded to seek revenge. However, I also feel, what they had in that short moment is also what is keeping him from going much further, it was what keeping him human. He was holding to that slim hope that maybe she could see him as a guy not classified by any class.
  7. DM's encounter with AS at the hotel. It seems like something intense between these two was there when she saved him last time. There must be more to that scene in the carriage. That memory shook AS and we can see she unconciously reacted the same way. Is it because she remembers he said she was just a noble fool who lives a luxury life? And that she was angry with herself for judging him, acting holier than thou, seeing his reaction to her scolding is not what she was expecting, his calm, strong deep gaze telling her who are you to say that to me, yangban agasshi? Or is it simply just fear from those pair of killer gaze? I wonder. Of course DM was shocked to be called a traitor but he hid it well. He also display sorrow seeing her away... I feel like he kinda feel disappointed that is what she saw in him. Something about DM clearly disturbed AS. Perhaps we will get to know it later as the story unfolds.
  8. I must say I am disturbed by the way the maid is talking down to DM. My conscience does not agree. He was just standing there, regardless of whether he is wearing a kimono or hanbok or a suit. A polite "is there anything wrong" may have sufficed. Perhaps it is the mentality of that time. Even if your agasshi is someone who uphold equality and respect to fellow countrymen, it doesn't stop you from looking down on others you deem as lower than your good self. It is a bit out of place and contradicting. Eugene is on the US side, the side that cause some good Joseon guys' lives some few years back, but the treatment was different. DM is said as being on the japanese side but I am sure rumors are circulating that he works for those who pay up, a mercenaries donning a japanese attire. That means he has no loyaty to anyone party, except of course to the black dragon who happened to be a japanese yakuza, ones that gave him the power he needs for his revenge. If AS can be considerate and have some thought about Eugene & his intention, consistently she should be able to do the same to DM and perhaps HS as well, by giving all three the benefit of her doubts, for the simple reason that she doesn't know them that well to put them under any label, and she is not wearing their shoes. DM killed japanese guys n right after, directed his attention to only her. If I was on her spot I would have hundreds of unanswered questions within the 'why' range. I am not sure I will classify him as traitor as easy as that. I have high hope for AS cos I am liking her gutsy-ness thus far. But if the writer intends to use her naivety this way, hmm... I don't know. Not sure if I can follow through. Thus far, inconsistency is becoming glaring, at least to me.

Mayhap I think too much:joy:. I really wanna root for all the 5 leads, to understand their situations and motivations but I am having a hard time to do so for some of them.

Well, that's all for this week. See you girls in the next episodes!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, miracle23 said:

I think his reaction was more a shock that no-one else but her would tell him hes a traitor , he obviously does care about her as well i mean he killed two for even daring to speak ill of her. I think they will change it and he wont be from black dragon.The other Male lead im unsure about the 3rd one is so mysterious.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, miracle23 said:Mayhap I think too much:joy:. I really wanna root for all the 5 leads, to understand their situations and motivations but I am having a hard time to do so for some of them.

Well, that's all for this week. See you girls in the next episodes!

Humn, I agree, you think too much! Hahahaha well I agree with some points, but I think Eugene's reactions are normal. He grew up in US after all, all that time the only Joseon he knew was the one that killed his parents just because they were from low class. I can see why he didn't even think about standing for Joseon when he knew he would comeback. Only after arriving he could feel what it means to be there again and right after that he meet the young noble that was completely different for the nobles of his childhood. I can sense he is slowly falling for Joseon as he falls for AS and only now he can debate his duty towards US, the land that gave him a new life, and Joseon, his true motherland. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, imhoooked said:

Humn, I agree, you think too much! Hahahaha 

Bwahahaha... can't help it! My brain is working at full force be it while drama watching or reading... main reason as well for being very picky of what to watch since I will be brain exhausted by the end of it. I am considering shelving this till it ends airing so that I can watch it in one go, skipping the fillers and going straight to the main plot. I am giving it another week, before going for a thriller genre. For the time being DM is too sorrowful to be left unsupported kekekeke! I was a gone case with Chilbong... I am still having flashbacks from those buckets of tears I cried for and with him.. Aigoo, my faint heart....

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, miracle23 said:

Bwahahaha... can't help it! My brain is working at full force be it while drama watching or reading... main reason as well for being very picky of what to watch since I will be brain exhausted by the end of it. I am considering shelving this till it ends airing so that I can watch it in one go, skipping the fillers and going straight to the main plot. I am giving it another week, before going for a thriller genre. For the time being DM is too sorrowful to be left unsupported kekekeke! I was a gone case with Chilbong... I am still having flashbacks from those buckets of tears I cried for and with him.. Aigoo, my faint heart....

Chilbong?

• Like 1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4X8CbeUKskU_32-1yLLz36160685_410692456083216_501552114306750images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmBtWfpm2FCqGD0PRhvkm

Every Mans Life Is Precious...  She knew this even as a child... She showed it through her actions in saving one...

The more I watch AS the more interesting she becomes to me.  I find her ability in being able to see those things in the people and most of all men around her that others might miss or don't take the time to see.  Almost a gift in seeming naive when it comes to the ways of the heart and her changing world.  Yet not so when it comes to being smart in understanding, seeking and striving to better her knowledge & capability every chance she gets.  Which to me is amazing considering the era and even more her being a woman...

Not to mention there is a real sense of goodness, mercy and honor within her...

I always smile when I see AS go into EC's office and sit right down in his chair without even a thought as if she is the authority figure.  I smiled even more when I heard the words they shared. 

" Protecting you...  What for?  Because I can "

:heart:

I really enjoyed listening to HN describe her Glory Hotel to AS and EC coming in a bit later and without even greeting her as if he were in a rush a little embarrassed trying to explain himself like being caught with his hand in the cookie jar.  Giving her his reasons and not HN's for staying at the hotel.  It's as if her understanding the situation was worth him looking a bit out of character.  I laughed when he said " It's Convenient " his eyes almost looking a bit down was perfect.  He might as well have waved a flag that said what you think matters to me...

DM and EC have some things in common and yet I was surprised in his reaction to AS when she was in the process of saving his life as a child.  Listening to her heartfelt words as to why she helped him and him in a way throwing them right back at her in saying " You're just a noble fool who lives in luxury. " which not only would have hurt but angered her too.  I know he was hurting and angry most likely at the whole world but I also wondered how those very words changed her.  I got my answer later when I saw her now a woman cringing and grasping her skirt in still remembering those words. 

Even more when seeing him as a man instead of a boy and him assuming that she was judging him because of him being a lowly butchers son.  This time she would throw his words right back at him and show him how foolish and wrong his thinking was.  It's not because you're a butcher,  it's because you're a traitor...

When EC was approached and begged by that poor little boy so afraid for his sister and I seemed to wonder why the heck is he  taking so long in deciding to help and respond.  If anyone should have mercy on that poor boy or understand that fear he should. In just a blink of an eye I was reminded why I love this dramas writer so much.  For EC gave that little boy something much more valuable than a helping hand.  He gave him courage and the realization that some things no matter what you might face. Whether you win or lose are worth fighting for.  Watching that boy pick up that rock and hit that Japanese soldier on the head.  Was like watching a little boy on his way to becoming a man...

How does one kill  or face a giant?  Having the courage in believing that you can...

Hello! New to the forum, I just started binging from Episodes 1-4 just yesterday and we just finished up 4 this evening! My husband and I are hooked. The cinematography is gorgeous and I love EC and AS's chemistry! Speaking of chemistry, it seems that all the male leads are falling for AS or is it just me? Can't wait to see how the rest of their storylines unfold

3 hours ago, miracle23 said:

Agreed! DM's backstory was so sad! I can't believe they went so graphic with the content and it was really well done! Kudos to the writers

• Like 8