[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

10 minutes ago, charray said:

Agree that Ae Shin should be born sometime young Eugene had left for America but how did you derive that Ae Shin is born in 1877 and not any earlier?

The Japan-Korea Treaty was signed on Feb 26, 1876.  She could have been born 1876 or 1877.  I am assuming that Japan influence takes a couple of months thus also the rebels foothold.

The math confirmed for me since 1905-1877: 28 years old in Western age.  Dunno, either 1876 or 1877.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, aimerance said:

I don't understand exactly why are people saying that Dong Mae's character is supposed to be older than Choi Eugene's. I just finished watching ep 1 and the only three child actors that was shown was for Choi Eugene's character who was nine at the time of his parent's death and then a teenager when he decided to become an American after seeing the African American man in the US Marine Corp. The other child actor was for the gunman's son Seung Goo (who was already a teenager when his dad died and thus older than Eugene) who in ep 2 became Ae Shin's mentor. And the last one was the baby Ae Shin. 

I have learn never to trust drama descriptions (especially Asian dramas) because what is provided is usually not what we end up watching. So, unless the drama specifically tells me that Dong Mae is older than Eugene, I am going by what was provided in the first episode and that Only Seung Goo character is older than Eugene.

There is another child.. the pregnant lady who throat was almost slit by eugen's mother.. ofcourse that child is the grandson we saw in ep 1 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

rating?

Edit:

9% ep 1.. highest ever.. lol KES saga continues..

Now i want to know how the PPLs will happen.. such rating, TVN is going to milk it for evrything.. but how do you do that with a setting when subway didn't exist :)

the assistant writers have one hell of a tough job

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

3 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Me too, just finished watching.  Let me just start by saying the tone of the story shifted dramatically for me going from E1 to E2.  I was expected for it to stay a little more serious until we get all characters on board but should have guessed it from the slave hunters' dialogues at the end of E1.  We get funnies inserted in a lot of places in E2, deliberately for what I am not sure... it threw me off.  I think I am ok with the supporting characters lighten up the story with their little situational comedies, English wordplays (Spanish vs. Spam the thing in the tin can?), lost in translations bit... that I think is fine.  I just feel for the actors and actresses who looked to me out of character saying some of the KES-signature lines.  Felt they are good when left alone to do their own things so I am wishing for more quiet moments without the dramatic being in your face. I remember reading that LBH has to learn to say those lines cuz he is not used to acting out this way.  But yeah, it maybe just me.  

Definitely, something got lost in translation. Back then in Korean, America was called Mi-ri-gyun and Spain was called Seo-ban-ah. Also in Korean, gyun sounds like dog and ah sounds like kid. So the guy mistakes gyun for dog and ah for kid, so he thinks America is Miri-dog and Spain is Seoban-kid. So this is what they really say:

Guy A: "Mirigyun(America) and Seobanah(Spain) seem to be going to war".

Guy B: "Miri-dog. What kind of dog is it? A fighting dog?"

Guy A: "Sigh. Then what is Seobanah(Spain)?"

Guy B: "Some kid you know?"

Guy A: "Sigh."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Source: Netizendrama

MR. SUNSHINE E02

Naver - Isplus: "One target"...'Mr. Sunshine' Lee Byung Hun x Kim Tae Ri's first meeting as snipers 

1.[+2318, -256] I was having fun watching the story and the acting but the comments;;;;;;;;

2.[+1023, -190] It's fun...are you even watching it...

3.[+1213, -423] If you want to use Lee Byung Hun you should have raised the age of the actress or if you wanted Kim Tae Ri you should have lowered the age of the actor, do just one of it

4.[+692, -29] Some scenes are as good as a movie and some scenes are like 'Mystic TV: Surprise' which it's an extreme ㅋㅋㅋ

5.[+515, -89] Am I the only one who finds it fun...The immersion is the best and Kim Tae Ri's beauty ㅜㅜ she is so pretty ㅜㅜ

6.[+512, -196] Honestly, I think there are a lot of people watching it because of Lee Byung Hun than the ones who are not watching it because of him...The feeling of Lee Byung Hun saving this drama is so strong

7.[+292, -25] Am I the only one who likes how Kim Tae Ri is delivering her lines, even though she is trembling, it looks high class

8.[+294, -4] Someone said it's The descendants of Mr. Goblin ㅋㅋ

9.[+276, -36] Yoo Yeon Seok is f*cking awesome...

th_bows.gifth_bows.gifth_bows.gif

Naver - Isplus: "It's fate from their first meeting"...'Mr. Sunshine' Lee Byung Hun x Kim Tae Ri's fate begins

1.[+2345, -211] It's so immersive, It's so fun to watch especially Kim Tae Ri, she is good at acting and I like her voice tone so much

2.[+1083, -215] Lee Byung Hun...His gaze is better at delivering than the lines ㄷㄷ

3.[+516, -50] Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri's vocalizations and visuals and the immersion is the best, Yoo Yeon Seok had a little screen time today ㅜㅜ My heart is already aching just by the thought of how sad it's going to be

4.[+835, -436] I don't care about the age gap or whatever, I just got immersed into it...Why does an hour feels this short ㅜㅜ

5.[+216, -31] I thought I was watching a movie ㅋㅋ When Lee Byung Hun appears, he made it look like a movie~

6.[+204, -22] There is nothing to be surprised about Lee Byung Hun's acting because I already knew it was good...but I was surprised with Kim Tae Ri, from her voice tone to her acting

7.[+150, -15] Kim Tae Ri's face is innocent but her voice is so charming

th_bows.gifth_bows.gifth_bows.gif

Naver - Osen: 'Mr. Sunshine' Lee Byung Hun found out that Kim Tae Ri is a secret soldier 

1.[+1157, -95] Kim Tae Ri is really good at acting and her diction is good ㄷㄷ

2.[+621, -185] Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri's acting gave me goosebumps. I thought they won't suit each other but their chemistry is daebak 

3.[+336, -41] The comments said that yesterday was boring but today was fun. I think it will be more fun when we see Kim Tae Ri and Yoo Yeon Seok together next week. I hope this week passes fast, I'm looking forward to it

4.[+237, -23] It looks more like a movie, the drama is really daebak...It was much more fun than yesterday, how will episode 3 be?...

5.[+172, -22] Today, the time really went by fast, It was so fun

6.[+124, -5] Lee Byung Hun looks natural with any language, It's amazing

7.[+102, -6] If only Lee Byung Hun managed well his image ㅜㅡㅜ what a waste of an actor....His way of delivering the lines and his gaze are really impressive 

8.[+105, -18] Lee Byung Hun's eye gaze acting...It's on another level! 

9.[+106, -23] No matter what, Lee Byung Hun fits well as Eugene. You said he is older but he is a US Marine captain. Do you think you can become that in your 20s?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, solarisk said:

Definitely, something got lost in translation. Back then in Korean, America was called Mi-ri-gyun and Spain was called Seo-ban-ah. Also in Korean, gyun sounds like dog and ah sounds like kid. So the guy mistakes gyun for dog and ah for kid, so he thinks America is Miri-dog and Spain is Seoban-kid. So this is what they really say:

Guy A: "Mirigyun(America) and Seobanah(Spain) seem to be going to war".

Guy B: "Miri-dog. What kind of dog is it? A fighting dog?"

Guy A: "Sigh. Then what is Seobanah(Spain)?"

Guy B: "Some kid you know?"

Guy A: "Sigh."

Thank you so much! Appreciate it.

Netflix translation. 

Spoiler

Guy A: It sounds like to American and Spanish are close to war

Guy B: The Americans?

Guy A: Yes.

Guy B: What is that? A tin can?

Guy A (looks incredulous at B):  What do you think Spain is, then?

Guy B: Is it someone you know?

Guy A: Sigh.

How are you liking it so far?  The first two episodes?  

Also, I missed this at first view.  Is there some time jumps, splicing of events, in episode 2?   AS's skills/athleticism implied some time or years have passed.  Also, she would need intel to know where Logan Taylor is, implying this guy who met him at the Hotel Glory (or someone at the hotel, Kudo Hina?) and the geisha maybe working with the freedom fighters.  AS seems to be working with a team now.  She's much more poised than teenage we first met at the beginning of episode 2.  All suggest we may have some fast forwarding in timeline.

Spoiler

Screenshot 2018-07-08 15.55.53

One of King Gojong's court advisors

On thing that struck me in the battle scenes is the disadvantages in regard to weapons/guns between Joseon/Korea vs. the Westerners.  AS's gun vs those use by Eugene in the Spanish American war or the naval fleet armory in episode 1. The technology difference is something essential and has to be considered in leveling the power field for Joseon.  Opening its door has its Pandora box but furthering education and commerce/trading helps advance its technology to match the Western world.  This can bring benefits to the country.

• Like 3

July 8, 2018

"Mr. Sunshine" Kim Min-jung Saves a Young Woman

Source: Star Hankook via HanCinema.net

photo986057.jpg

On the latest episode of the new tvN drama "Mr. Sunshine", Kudo Hina (Kim Min-jung) gave warning to a Korean man who harassed a female employee in her hotel café.

He wouldn't let go of the employee's hand so Kudo Hina broke a plate and cut his hand. The Korean was outraged, but his friend told him she was the owner of the hotel and he left.

The employee apologized for what happened and knelt down, crying before the expensive broken plate.

Kudo Hina told her, "You're more precious to me. So don't cry next time and just bite him".

She then turned to the other guests and apologized for causing a scene. Then Kudo Hina and Eugene Choi (Lee Byung-hun) introduced each other as a Japanese and an American.

Ko Dong-mae (Yoo Yeon-seok) came into the hotel and asked Kudo Hina why she hurt her hand.

She told him it was because she was helping a girl and Koo Dong-mae said, "Then I'll help this girl. Your hand is too pretty to have a scar".

• Like 6

So I saw some discussion here about Kim Tae Ri and Lee Byeong Heon's age gap. I translated this for the My Ahjussi thread and thought I'd share it here as well.

To be honest, I find the whole age gap business a bunch of hogwash. It's so hypocritical to apply different standards when it's a noona romance or if it's fantasy or historical time period.

"Concerns about Kim Tae Ri and Lee Byeong Heon's age gap become anticipation"

http://sports.chosun.com/news/news.htm?id=201807100100077670005995&ServiceDate=20180709

• Like 4

On 7/8/2018 at 1:14 AM, bedifferent said:

@UnniSarah uhmmmm, did u watch? :D

Mr. Sunshine (Miseuteo Shunshain) Episode 1 Review

This Netflix Original series is sold as a melodrama/romance. Mr. Sunshine episode 1 is not impactful in a romantic sense, though, but instead conveys a narrative with depressing, sobering brutality to introduce the two entwined characters into the story.

It is probably useful to understand the general premise of the entire series, which is difficult to realise in the first episode. Mr. Sunshine tells the story of a young boy who was born into a house servant’s family and travels to the U.S during the 1871 Shinmiyangyo (U.S. expedition to Korea). He later returns to his homeland as a U.S Marine Officer and falls in love with an aristocrat’s daughter. That young boy is Choi Yoo-jin, who markets himself as Eugene to help work within the cogs of the U.S. Eugene clearly evolves as an “American” and I hope Mr. Sunshine shows that intriguing character arc as the series progresses.

The first episode opens up with a series of exposition to demonstrate the lead character’s ultimate journey. I was taken back slightly by the ruthlessness of the story that bore some resemblance to the movie Silence, with scenarios playing out in slave camps, with leaders giving zero mercy to those who oppose them. Mr. Sunshine is a show that clearly wants to give the viewer a sense of reality for these characters, in a world that is very much fragmented, with characters blindly doing what they think is right. The first episode of this Netflix Original spends much of its budget playing out battle scenes, during the Shinmiyangyo, with the people of Joseon standing firm against the U.S. Incursion. It was a damning sight to see many people fight against the U.S despite the narration articulating the hopelessness of it all. Mr. Sunshine clearly shows a government unwilling to negotiate a diplomatic resolution, leading to the death of many of their own loyal people.

As the episode progresses, with Eugene clearly evolving as a character, with many supporting storylines playing out a key moment in history, it has to be said that the pilot is an incredible piece of technical work. I was not expecting to be bowled over by such great landscape shots, whilst the characters unfold a despairing story. As the episode draws to an end you see glimpses of Eugene as a complete version of himself and the Aristocrat’s daughter living in a new Joseon. It is an easy assumption that Mr. Sunshine will offer a tale of love and politics, with Eugene discovering a plot by foreign forces to colonize Korea so it will be interesting how this pans out, and if it will ultimately jeopardise his newfound romance.

My only criticism of Mr. Sunshine episode 1 is its choppy exposition. The episode is over an hour long and it spends much of its time slicing many different stories together and ends on a jaded ending merging with the credits. However, with its technical brilliance and a hard-hitting storyline coupled with violence, romance and drama, we could be in for a ride.

Source:  Ready Steady Cut

@bedifferent  I watched episodes 1 and 2.  I loved it and truly enjoyed it.  I love your review of the first episode. The cinematography, the story and cast was DAEBAK!!! 

• Like 3

Now that was another beautiful episode.. I just feel in love with Kudo Hina, she is the definition of a powerful woman.. Her presence screams every ounce of perfection!!.. I m loving her soo much.. Wish she could have more screenspace.. Her scene with Eugene was short but yet I could feel her attraction to Eugene even Dong Mae noticed it.. The friendly banter of Dong Mae n Kudo Hina was good!!.. The banters of teacher Sueng Go n student Ae Shin was soo funny.. I like the posture n the way KTR beautifully portrays as a gunner and aristocratic lady!!.. Then the typical romantic factor of Ae Shin wondering abt Love n scene cut to Eugene.. The scene of Eugene n Ae Shin meeting face to face n the lights glowing!! The face to face pointing of guns.. The banter in the office desk shows love line between the two.. But I don't know how will the writer proceed it or she might end them as comrades too!! Dong Mae had very little screen space, I guess next episodes will tell backstory of Ae Shin n Dong Mae.. The preview clearly explains the bitterness of Eugene towards class discrimination n the way he described democracy.. Hope Ae Shin too understands it!!.. Can't wait for the next episode!! 

P. S. Once again they managed to get higher ratings.. As many were discussing abt age difference between leads n etc.. I don't really feel wrong abt it if the leads r truly in love then their love isn't wrong!! There were many shows in past with huge difference like Dong Yi but they managed to be successful!! 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, icyphoenix said:

Now that was another beautiful episode.. I just feel in love with Kudo Hina, she is the definition of a powerful woman.. Her presence screams every ounce of perfection!!.. I m loving her soo much.. Wish she could have more screenspace.. Her scene with Eugene was short but yet I could feel her attraction to Eugene even Dong Mae noticed it.. The friendly banter of Dong Mae n Kudo Hina was good!!.. The banters of teacher Sueng Go n student Ae Shin was soo funny.. I like the posture n the way KTR beautifully portrays as a gunner and aristocratic lady!!.. Then the typical romantic factor of Ae Shin wondering abt Love n scene cut to Eugene.. The scene of Eugene n Ae Shin meeting face to face n the lights glowing!! The face to face pointing of guns.. The banter in the office desk shows love line between the two.. But I don't know how will the writer proceed it or she might end them as comrades too!! Dong Mae had very little screen space, I guess next episodes will tell backstory of Ae Shin n Dong Mae.. The preview clearly explains the bitterness of Eugene towards class discrimination n the way he described democracy.. Hope Ae Shin too understands it!!.. Can't wait for the next episode!! 

P. S. Once again they managed to get higher ratings.. As many were discussing abt age difference between leads n etc.. I don't really feel wrong abt it if the leads r truly in love then their love isn't wrong!! There were many shows in past with huge difference like Dong Yi but they managed to be successful!! 

I also love Hina's character even we are still in the beginning phase of the story. Though we are introduced by her attraction to Eugene, I wish she and Dong Mae will have a love line despite Dong Mae's character is described as a man who will love Ae Shin. I don't know why but I am more attracted to Hina than Ae Shin. Hina is just effortlessly strong and mysterious.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, sunshinefate said:

I also love Hina's character even we are still in the beginning phase of the story. Though we are introduced by her attraction to Eugene, I wish she and Dong Mae will have a love line despite Dong Mae's character is described as a man who will love Ae Shin. I don't know why but I am more attracted to Hina than Ae Shin. Hina is just effortlessly strong and mysterious.

I have to say Kudo Hina captured in her short screen space!! I can't say as of yet that I love her more than Ae Shin or not!! But she is one of the masterpiece character which I would love to see more n more!! I hope both Dong Mae n Kudo Hina develop love line at the end instead of getting hurt by Eugene n Ae Shin coz they r defo gonna be the end love couple.. KMJ is soo beautiful in kimono :wub:

Here is the vlive video were third lead said abt loveline of Eugene n Ae Shin.. Lolz he wanted to play Ae Shin coz of loveline:P

• LOL 5

1 hour ago, sunshinefate said:

I wish she and Dong Mae will have a love line despite Dong Mae's character is described as a man who will love Ae Shin. I don't know why but I am more attracted to Hina than Ae Shin. Hina is just effortlessly strong and mysterious.

@icyphoenix I love how KMJ look in kimono, her costume is exquisite.  Hida’s presence screams tragic... :huh:  Did you both see PHS MV?  Spoiler scenes.  Hee Sung character is in some emotional turmoil.  At 3:48 is the embrace between Dong Mae and Hina, not sure in what context. There’s also scenes of a young Ae Shin with someone I am assuming could be a young Dong Mae.

@UnniSarah  whewww, so you like it :D  I like Kim Taeri, surprised myself at liking KMJ’s character as well.   So far so good.  

• Like 6

@bedifferent I saw that one.. Kudo Hina seems very lovely yet brave.. I feel companionship in that hug of Kudo Hina n Dong Mae.. Then again a scene in highlight video where Kudo Hina smokes n tells "fool (cut to Dong Mae)  n *something I didn't get (cut to Hee sung)  that girl doesn't know" refering to Ae Shin shows the loneliness of her!! 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Now i want to know how the PPLs will happen.. such rating, TVN is going to milk it for evrything.. but how do you do that with a setting when subway didn't exist :)

the assistant writers have one hell of a tough job

PPL already happening.. th_coffee1.gif

mrs_ppl1.jpg

As 'secret weapon' at Glory Hotel

mrs_ppl2.jpg

Photos: odense.official

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

8 hours ago, rubie said:

PPL already happening.. th_coffee1.gif

As 'secret weapon' at Glory Hotel

Photos: odense.official

If that's the case, then I wonder which kind of brand is this teacup from. Must be an ancient brand to have still survived more than 100 years now

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • LOL 6