[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

October 27, 2018

Winners Of The 2nd Seoul Awards

Source: Soompi by J. Lim

Winners Of The 2nd Seoul Awards

The Seoul Awards has announced this year’s winners, honoring some of the greatest in film and television dramas in the past year.

The awards show was on held on October 27 at the Peace Hall in Kyung Hee University, with Kim Ah Joong and Jung Hyun Moo returning as the MCs for the second year.

This year’s grand prize for the film category went to “The Spy Gone North,” a film that is based on a true story about a South Korean spy who infiltrates the North to obtain intelligence on nuclear weapons plans. The grand prize for the drama category went to tvN’s “My Ahjussi,” a story about three middle-aged brothers and a woman who learn to heal each other’s past scars.

The awards ceremony also dedicated a special moment to Kim Joo Hyuk, who won the Best Supporting Actor Award last year for his role in “Confidential Assignment.” The actor unfortunately passed away in a car accident a few days afterwards, and the awards ceremony took time to commemorate his illustrious career and replay his acceptance speech.

Check out the full list of winners below!

Films:
Grand Prize Award: “The Spy Gone North”

Best Actor Award: Ha Jung Woo (“Along with the Gods”)

Best Actress Award: Son Ye Jin (“Be With You”)

Best Supporting Actor Award: Joo Ji Hoon (“Along with the Gods” – “The Spy Gone North”)

Best Supporting Actress Award: Ye Soo Jung (“Along with the Gods”)

Best New Actor Award: Nam Joo Hyuk (“The Great Battle”)
Best New Actress Award: Kim Da Mi (“The Witch”)
Popularity Award: Son Ye Jin, EXO’s D.O.

Dramas:
Grand Prize Award: tvN’s “My Ahjussi”
Best Actor Award: Lee Byung Hun (“Mr. Sunshine”)
Best Actress Award: Kim Nam Joo (“Misty”)
Best Supporting Actor Award: Yoo Yeon Seok (“Mr. Sunshine”)
Best Supporting Actress Award: Moon So Ri (“Life”)
Best New Actor Award: Park Hae Soo (“Prison Playbook”)
Best New Actress Award: Jo Bo Ah (“Goodbye to Goodbye”)
Hallyu Artist Award: Jung Hae In (“Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food”)
Popularity Award: Girls’ Generation’s Seohyun, Jung Hae In
Special Acting Award: Heo Joon Ho (“Come and Hug Me”)

Source (1) // Photos: BH Entertainment / Yoo Yeon Seok

• Like 5

YAY!!! Congrats to LBH and YYS!!! I'm so happy for them! And thank you for sharing the videos, pictures, and articles everyone!

Edit: So I think this is going to be last post here and on soompi. I love Eugene and Goo Dong Mae. I just came back because I wanted to say congratulations to LBH and YYS :wub: I hope they go on to win more awards. And I hope the rest of Mr. Sunshine goes on to win more awards too. I tried to come back to soompi because of nice people like @rubie, and others, but I'm not strong enough. And no one likes me here on soompi and other forums. I'm really sorry, rubie. It looks like you are working really hard to update us with news and awards. And you asked, "Where have you been?" And you're the reason I finished Mr. Sunshine. I will never regret finishing it. I have never seen a drama like it. And I met a lot of new people here. And I got to share my feelings with you rubie, and others here. I just don't think I'm good enough for soompi and this forum. Please don't say, "She just wants us to feel sorry for her." I don't think this is true. I have hurt people in a lot of forums. I wish I could tell you rubie and the others. I think it's a long story. So thank you for being my friend, @rubie And thank you for accepting me here in Mr. Sunshine thread :). I can't believe I'm crying right now. I don't want to go. I think Mr. Sunshine is one of the best dramas! 

I love everyone here. A lot of you haven't talked with me. I love you too :wub: I think this is one of the kindest threads I've been in. And I believe you all opened your arms and accepted me here. I will never forget that. It's going to be hard to pull away. I keep checking this thread every day. I still want to know if LBH and the others won any awards. So I am really sad right now and happy that LBH and YYS won. I think they both deserved it. I am not saying the other actors didn't deserve to win. 

So...I hope some of us meet again...I'm sorry. I am such a crybaby and I am such a loser and I'm too sensitive. I will never forget Eugene and the others. I hope some of you had fun discussing the drama with me. I know I had fun discussing it with you. I wish some of us could discuss dramas more. I think I repeated myself. I'm sorry. 

Image result for eugene choi mr sunshine gif

credit to owner(This gif is not mine. Goo Dong Mae, Mr. Sunshine)

mrsunshine eugenechoi GIF by Mr Sunshine Netflix

credit to owner(Eugene Choi, Mr. Sunshine)

Bye :wub: 

Edited by 2handsintertwined
Crying. I'll be okay :)
  • Like 4

@2handsintertwined there you are! :D I'm sorry that I didn't reply your earlier post, it's been a bit busy few days catching up with stuff and suddenly (that I almost forgot), we have the Seoul Awards last night. It's been a hectic Saturday (remember that it used to be MR.SUNSHINE Day, it still is!) of chasing around for links and photos and read comments back & forth and still there're a lot of good pics that I missed. So, please no worries.. you're part of the thread, no need for apologies, no need for excuses, no one is saying anything bad.. we're all here for MR.SUNSHINE, the best drama to cherish and all the memories it brought throughout the screening. 

Here's a fanboy photo from Eugene on his IG.. he took his time quite a bit and posted 3 photos today.. all from last night. This one here.. is especially  perfect for the thread. 

Photo: byunghun0712 via HeraldPop

Center of image

Good for us, lovely fan art by Ruro never stops :)

• Like 4

Wow, impressive fan art indeed... it's not real (photos) but so lifelike. So amazing to see the work of these talented artists, simply gorgeous art. Thanks @SeReNiTy, hope they will never stop sharing more creative work.:wub:

October 29, 2018

Seoul Awards honor the year's best

By Yim Seung-hye INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

seoulawards_w1.jpg

An array of stars took to the red carpet for the second edition of the Seoul Awards on Saturday evening held at Kyung Hee University’s Grand Peace Palace, eastern Seoul, and some left with several trophies in hand. 

TvN’s drama “My Mister,” which featured singer-actor Lee Ji-eun, better known as IU, and film “The Spy Gone North,” directed by Yoon Jong-bin, each received the top honors for Best Work at Saturday’s event. 

“My Mister” dealt with an unlikely friendship between a 20-something woman and her colleague in his 40s. The actors’ immersive performances and emotional direction lead to it receiving much praise.

“The Spy Gone North” starring Hwang Jung-min, Lee Sung-min and Cho Jin-woong, has been hailed as creating a new type of Korean spy flick. The story is based on a true incident that took place in 1993, when a former South Korean military officer was recruited by the National Intelligence Service to infiltrate North Korea amid leaks that North Korea was developing nuclear weapons.

Meanwhile, the Best Actor and Best Actress Awards went to Lee Byung-hun for his starring role in the successful period drama “Mr. Sunshine” and Kim Nam-joo for “Misty” in the television series category. Ha Jeong-woo received Best Actor for “Along With the Gods: The Two Worlds” and Son Ye-jin won Best Actress for “Be With You” for the film category.

The Seoul Awards is the first Awards Ceremony here to select the winners by including the public as judges. According to the organizers, public votes account for 30 percent of the final decision in order to “reflect the public opinion in the awards ceremony.”

Published on October 27, 2018 by 스포츠서울

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

@SeReNiTy LOL .. right smack in the middle.. :lol: that is so true.. thanks for pointing it out. I think it's just perfect that the front row sits so that we can also see everyone at the back. It shows that sitting down can be so cool, indeed. Makes me stop to ponder that there was no photo of Eugene and Kyle along with GwanSoo & Domi. :mellow: What a pity, huh.. they could have taken one before Kyle was transferred to Tokyo and EC supposedly return to America. Like Hina.. who had a group photo with her Glory Hotel staff, perhaps there was no one to take the photo (for EC & Kyle).. Hina's group had HeeSung with the camera gifted by Eugene much later.

Just realized looking at the group photo, the front row sitting-down winners had alternated  the sitting arrangement of the best actors and best actress actresses showing their smart tuxedos and white dresses. :wub: Nice.

Anyway, found this recent article on Kim Tae Ri by soompi news team. Great to see related news on MR.SUNSHINE still appearing at the mainsite & forum thread. Hopefully there will still be more to come and hopefully we can continue with members & new fans sharing once in awhile at the thread along with our threadstarter @Go Seung Ji too. :)

October 24, 2018

Kim Tae Ri Talks About The Popularity Of “Mr. Sunshine” And Picks Most Beautiful Scene

Source: Soompi by C. Hong

Kim Tae Ri Talks About The Popularity Of âMr. Sunshineâ And Picks Most Beautiful Scene

On October 23, fashion magazine Marie Claire revealed some photos from its pictorial with actress Kim Tae Ri in New York.

In the accompanying interview, Kim Tae Ri talked about her role as Go Ae Shin in the hit tvN drama “Mr. Sunshine.”

kim-tae-ri-2.jpg

kim-tae-ri-1.jpg

The actress picked the scene where her character first meets Eugene Choi (Lee Byung Hun) as the most beautiful scene in the drama. “It’s the first time that their street gets electricity, and Eugene and Ae Shin exchange looks with each other,” she described.

She added that she has felt the impact of “Mr. Sunshine’s” popularity around her and said, “Whenever I talk with someone close to me about the drama, or someone comes to talk to me about it, I realize how much love people have for ‘Mr. Sunshine.’ I feel it anew every time.”

Spoiler

kim-tae-ri-4.jpg

Spoiler
Spoiler

kim-tae-ri1.jpg

Spoiler

kim-tae-ri-3.jpg

The full pictorial and interview can be found in Marie Claire’s November issue.

Source (1)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

October 30, 2018. 

Congratulations to Byung Hun- ssi for receiving his second award for his portrayal as Eugene in "Mr. Sunshine".   Sincerely hope he will receive more awards going forward.  

Seoul Awards: Exclusive Interview with Lee Byung Hun 

(a translation) 

Clip: HighCut Star

"First of all, thank you very much, I am also very happy.   Filming of the drama series took a very long time.  I do not  know why those hard processes disappeared instantly.   It is like a kind of compensation.  Although I ended the shooting a few months ago, I do not know whether it is because of the long-time shooting or the theme of the Drama series, I still feel very much the story within me.  I hope that  everyone will remember this Drama series for a long time.   I am very thankful for today’s awards."

Source:   LBH fan @ Weibo

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Happy to see LBH get award for his work in Mr. Sunshine.

Here is the translation for LBH's acceptance speech. 

Thank you. First, I have people I want to congratulate. There are several couples married during and after Mr. Sunshine. Jo WooJin who did the role of Gwansoo, Kim Namhee who did the role of Takashi, and Yoon Jooman who did the role of Yujo, congratulate on all of you for your weddings. I have a lot of people I want to say thank you – looking at side – there is enough time to do it so I’ll do so now. First, I thank great director Lee Eungbok and writer Kim Eunsook, who wrote meaningful story and made it into beautiful drama better than a movie. Dir. Jang Yongho, dir. Jung Jaeyoung, camera dir Kang and dir Yoo, lighting dir. Lee Byunggwan and makeup chief Choi Gyunghee who tried their best to hide my lines(on my face).  And who has always been with me from movies, costume chief Jo Sangkyung. There are so many staffs, even though I couldn’t name them all, thanks to all of them I am here receiving this award. And also Yoo Yeonsuk who's here now, who’s very kind and good natured, I was a bit worried how he would be able to do the role, who’s different 180 degree. But he did play the character so well, so nicely, so I thank him as a senior. Also, from the beginning of shooting to the end, Kim Taeri who made me on edge and thanks to her my acting got better, thank you for your great acting. Just before Mr. Jisung said the name Boyoung is special to him, but to me it’s the name Minjung that’s special. I want to thank my colleague Kim Minjung, and also I want to sincerely thank my wife Minjung and my son, who has been supporting me always, being strong for me, and my source of energy for more than 10 months while I was working far from home. Today, it’s a bit more difficult for me because, without this person I won’t be able to be here nor see you. To think about it, I never really invited her to awards before, she called me and told me she wanted to be here. Who has been, and will be my life time supporter, my mom is here. Finally, I want to thank my fans. Thank you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Thank you so much @peonie and @mistymorning for the translation of the interview clip & Best Actor acceptance speech. th_katt.gifBoth of you are our lovely sunshine, indeed. :wub:

Definitely hoping the actors and production of MR.SUNSHINE will continue to be rewarded for their hard work and high performance, the best drama that is truly meaningful & unforgettable.

Here is another list of recognition for Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri from MR.SUNSHINE and Kim Nam Joo from MISTY topping the survey of BEST ACTOR of 2018. Well-deserved!

Thanks to Chungmuro Crumb for the article highlight and translation th_katt.gif

Joy News 24, an entertainment sports media, conducted a survey on entertainment industry experts from October 19 to October 26 about "Best Actor in Drama of the Year". This survey included 200 peoples who worked for entertainment and broadcasting companies, producers of film and broadcasting contents, and reporters from entertainment department.

Kim Nam Joo (Misty) topped the list of the '2018 Best Actor in Drama'. Among the survey respondents, 42 voters chose her as the best actor in the drama category this year.
"Mr. Sunshine" Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri ranked second and third, respectively. Among the survey respondents, 36 voters chose Lee Byung Hun and 27 voters chose Kim Tae Ri as the best actor in drama for this year.

Following list of 2018 Best Actors in Drama by 200 entertainment industry experts:

1. Kim Nam Joo: 42 
2. Lee Byung Hun: 36 
3. Kim Tae Ri: 27 

4. Son Ye Jin: 21
5. Park Seo Joon: 16
6. Jo Seung Woo: 12
7. Do Kyung Soo: 11
8. Seo Hyun Jin & Jung Hae In: 6 

October 29, 2018

Kim Nam Joo of MISTY, the best drama actor chosen by the entertainment industry 

Followed by MR.SUNSHINE's Lee Byung Hun & Kim Tae Ri

Source: JoyNews

0000538006_001_20181029110102032.jpg?type=w430_q70

0000538006_002_20181029110102086.jpg?type=w430_q70

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@rubie

I think mr sunshine was a drama that touched my soul deeply. It was perfect in all means for me without any flaws.Everything from the cinematography , bgm and the chemistry of the main lead and the sismance, bromance the coordination between them . The spirit of the RA to fight for their nation .... i have alot to say but i will stop as i have to work:D

The only thing that disturbed  me was the SAD ENDING! IT moved the innermost of my soul :bawling:

They all didnt have to die

P.s Sorry for late reply im  a bit busy these days

• Like 8

@studyandkdrama, hi good to see you again..  believe me you're not the only one disturbed & still affected by the ending. Many of us are, here & elsewhere... the drama is truly awesome in every way, it's only eps 22-24 that the hopes became nightmares. :sweatingbullets: Still, it's all a part of painful history that a little sunshine ending may not be as memorable, yet. Anyway.. there're always some nice fanfics to help ease the sad feeling. You can read them here, when you're taking a break from work. It does help quite a bit. :rolleyes:

No worries about the late reply.. the thread will be here.. we'll see you. See you again. ^_^

Our shining ending ~

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

October 31, 2018

Thanks to Chungmuro Crumb for the news highlight from JoyNews24 ~

JoyNews24: 2018 Entertainment Power People

Another survey conducted by Joy News 24 to commemorate its 14th anniversary (I wonder how many surveys they conducted ) about "2018 Entertainment Power People"

This survey included 200 peoples who worked for entertainment and broadcasting companies, producers of film and broadcasting contents, and reporters from entertainment department.

Here following list of "2018 Entertainment Power People" by 200 entertainment industry experts:

1. BTS : 114
2. Bang Si Hyuk & Lee Young Ja: 10
3. PD Na Yeong Seok: 8
4. SM Lee Soo Man: 6
5. Kim Tae Ri, Lee Byung Hun & IU : 4
6. JYP Park Jin Young : 2
7. YG Yang Hyun Suk, Lee Hyo Ri, Ha Jung Woo, Jung Woo Sung, Park Na Rae, Blackpink : 1

Our Sunshine Team stay strong and Tae Ri is keep mentioned in all entertainment survey they conducted

• Like 4