[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

@seabysea18

After asking around about MS ending, some says that as Jarhead EC is train to neutralized hostiles with less casualties esp with civies, thats why out of 2000 or more options he had he chooses the better one, where there only be one casualty, and thats him. Sad but true, 

On lighter note some one indeed wrote a fanfic about MS its title a "The better ending" its on tumbler and in twitter, please do read, it will help lessen the pain, the author says that she will post it soon on ff, hope that helps :D

Sorry i dont know how to post a link 

P.S she posted it on ff already :D

Edited by elfvanvan
  • Like 6

If Eugene was still in the military, Kyle would have knocked some senses into him. But he's not, so he's on his own to choose his path. :unsure: The Marines uniform and rank were indeed the immunity shield for EC, Kyle Moore was his life-line.. unfortunately for Eugene, AeShin became his kryptonite. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, linygirl1 said:

Agreed. At first I was disappointed because who doesnt want your favorite characters to live and have a happy or not so tragic ending?

For me now that the inital shock and emotions of watching the last few episodes are wearing off. I can appreciate why the story ended as it did. Each character had power in their deaths by choosing the exact moment that it would be the most benficial to Joseon and to Aeshin. Once I go back and rewatch it I will have deeper thoughts but for now my impression is that it ended the only way it could...in agonizing heartbreak :-( <3

Maybe this is the KES revenge event for the drama audience, the female character she always made looks weak now she makes a brave Aeshin character, then people say before 'Mr. Sunshine' she doesn't dare to kill his own character, now she prove the sadistic slaughter in Mr. Sunshine:joy:

So now be careful if you want to watch the drama she made XD

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, charray said:

There is speculation that the character of Eugene Choi is inspired by a real person.

Thanks @charray for sharing this! It appears his English name is Earl K. Whang and he died around age 40. Is it me or there is some resemblance of him and LBH?? :o This is getting juicy!!!

• Like 3

That's interesting. There's really a striking resemblance of both men too. Thank you for sharing @charray

I came across this post in another site.

Credit to wjdcj for this. 

The 4 main leads -

Go Ae Shin,

Choi Yoo Jin,

Gu Dong Mae,

Kim Hee Sung. 
Rearrange their last names and it spells "Kim Gu Choi Go" 

In Korean, "Choi Go" means best/the best, and "Kim Gu" was a leader in the Korean Independence movement (along with Ahn ChangHo, they were very good friends). So, their last names spell out "Kim Gu the Best/Kim Gu is the best":')

What do u guys think? 

I looked up Kim Gu and here's what i found. Kim Gu (김구; 金九; Kim Koo or Kim Ku Korean pronunciation: [kimɡu]; also known by his pen name Baekbeom (백범; 白凡; ), August 29, 1876 – June 26, 1949) was a Korean nationalist politician. He was the sixth and later the last Premier of the Provisional Government of the Republic of Korea, a leader of the Korean independence movement against the Japanese Empire, and a reunification activist after 1945.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

10/5 Another photo uploaded by Lee Byung Hun on his IG today. Looks like the scene in Japan (ep 21), running up the stairs towards the fireworks. Well, actually running away from the Japanese gang to the American Legation. One bullet tactic and both survived. ;)

mrsun21_10.gif

• Like 10

16 hours ago, seabysea18 said:

Any Homeland fans in here? I was #Quinning for a long time, endured a whole season of Quinn being tortured and Carrie forgetting him until they completely killed him off in the next season.

Homeland obsessed here until they messed with Quinn. I can barely get through Season 6 so I abandoned it completely.

16 hours ago, rubie said:

Some scenes were filmed at Manhyujeong, a traditional Korean pavilion located in the city. Those looking to recreate the romantic moment they saw in the drama are already making plans to visit the southern city. 

Thanks for this!!! I've been wondering where they filmed the show. 

• Like 4

Dear all,

I stumbled upon your thread because I was so shocked/disappointed/angry/sad (and so on…) by the series ending that I wondered if I was the only one among Mr Sunshine viewers/fans to feel that way…
Obviously not and I have to say that it is kind of a relief… However, I still feel so upset with the ending that I decided to write a post here in order to share some thoughts (who said healing process?…).

First, I have to say that I didn’t know much about Korean drama. Through Netflix, Korean drama like Mr Sunshine were proposed to me as suggestions. I first saw another Korean drama that I liked very much (A secret love affair, for information) and then consequently tried the « Mr Sunshine adventure ».  

I wasn’t hooked by the first episode, I lost the track too often. But I was so moved by the story of Eugene’s mother and AS’ parents that I decided to give a chance.  
Starting from the 2nd episode, I entirely fell for the story. The revenge of a man, the most humble one, even a slave, against a country and its nobility/ social injustice. Fate irony, his way back to motherland will rime with a love story with a noble woman. Ok I buy it. Because what we talk about here is beyond a usual love story, it speaks about the value of a man for his nation. Could a man be loved/protected enough by his own motherland to have a life and to accomplish himself as a true human being?

If we see, as so many of ours, AS character as Joseon embracing its all nobility/social system, therefore it is a kind of redemption for this man to be loved by his motherland itself. Do we have to recall, that Eugene was named as the noble one? Yes, here is the node, when we begin to see nobility as a quality and not as a social status… This man became a noble man by his actions, by his choices, by a life made by himself. This man deserves to be loved, particularly by a woman of his rank, a noble one. And through all his actions for his nation, he won the right and he deserved to be loved by his own country.

But… What we had in the end? Quite the contrary… In the two last episodes I saw a quite cold AS-EC relationship, lots of distance, very few physical contacts, never really married, not even a kiss (hello real life…) and no real protective feelings from AS towards EC. He so needs to be loved and to be protected. As a man, he was quite ignored by his woman. As a child of a nation, he now lied in the cemetery for foreigners. What's the « f-word »…???!!!!!

I think that the series emphasised patriotism a lot in order to touch the hearts of the descendants of Joseon era. Patriotism needs continuity because it is a value one can share as the children of a same nation. So… Where is the AS-EC’s child?…

I will not go back on all the previous and really clever arguments I saw on this thread. I concur for most of them (how a wise man like Eugene can go for his last/risky trip with only one bullet in his gun? For the last scene, why not to push the Japanese hostage in the other wagon against the soldiers and shoot the connection between wagons while staying with AS?….etc….)

Until episode 23, I was all in and « pfff »… Everyone died and I have this feeling that time was missing so it was easier to kill everyone. Even the (so beloved) servants of AS in a sort of « suicide » mission (What's the « f-word »????!!!!! bis…)  

I saw at the beginning a huge promise for this series and I am now upset accordingly.

I remember a comment of a director (maybe it was Spielberg(?)). He said he made a mistake at the beginning of his carrier because he killed his heroes at the end of one of his movies. He said he learnt something after seeing people reactions. People hate to see the heroes they have learnt to love dying in the end. So, he said there is at least only one rule to follow: never kill your beloved heroes.
A series, or a movie, is not a documentary. If we want to see truth/reality, we look at tv news, heroes die everyday. We want to see hope, at least once. In my opinion, it is the true mission of entertainment.   

I now lost this craving need to see the same beloved scenes again and again. I know the end now so what is the point beside being painful.

Ok I am done. I do not feel better but things are said.

To finish, I just want to give all my congrats to the staff of this series for their really great job. I fell in love with this series for sure, for the story (except the end, obviously…), the characters, the photography (my goodness, what poetry!), the music, etc…
All the actors/actresses were absolutely awesome. Particularly, I will follow KTR’s carrier for sure, hoping for some works in occidental movies.

Thanks to everyone in this thread, for the cleverness of your opinions and your really respectful posts (not so often seen on forum websites nowadays). You absolutely rock here!

It was just some thoughts, no judgments in any ways. I am deeply ok with all the other points of view presented in this thread. I am just trying to heal here, don’t shoot please!

Goodbye to everyone, see you again… maybe!

Edited by viba
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Hello @viba, welcome to MR.SUNSHINE soompi! LOL! We don't shoot! 2097.gifReally good to read your well-said thoughts and can't agree more about what you wrote about killing off heroes in tv shows. That is totally true, particularly when we watched how the characters grow, adapt and change accordingly. It's just that, I remember reading long time ago that Korean productions (drama and movies, particularly) have an affinity with dying endings because it deliver more impact that people will remember the most. Can't say how true is that because I certainly could not vouch for it. th_dontcare.gifNope.. not after 23 episodes of (fictionally) anticipating and hoping.

Anyway, thank you so much for finding us here and writing out to rant/heal about the ending. You may not feel better yet but it does make others feel less in denial. It's still along way to go.. sigh.. but we're here, trying to understand.

Saturday is here again. There's no more MR.SUNSHINE. Just Mr.Sad Ending.  th_sigh.gif

Crying with @Ahpheng ©strips

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

The thing with sad ending is that I’ve seen enough Kdramas with sad ending, Sandglass, Damo, Conspiracy in the Court, etc. These are highly rated dramas and rightfully so.  I love each of these dramas to pieces and have rewatched them multiple times despite tragic endings. Because the endings make sense to me, I understand why the beloved characters must die.  For Mr. Sunshine, I feel cheated.  The writer gave us futile hopes and the episodic trailer fooled us multiple times. Yes the premonition “gun, glory, sad ending” was plastered everywhere but I did not expect contrived, forced, meaningless deaths for our characters.  I guess I had high expectation for the writer and I just feel so let down by it. 

@rubie I miss my Sat & Sun Sunshine fix too but in a way I am glad this was not a 50 episode drama with this kind of ending.  We would never recover if it was that long :) Love reading everyone’s comments even though the drama is over.  That shows how much we love it.  And @rubie thanks for keeping this thread alive. You are a true gem!

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, charray said:

Goodbye from Mr Sunshine himself. Didn’t know he is so playful and likes to clown around so much.

The twitter post below by @teameushin translated his farewell greeting.

Captain Eugene Choi galloping away on his imaginary horse is the cutest thing!!! :lol::wub:

• Like 3
  • LOL 2