[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

1 hour ago, Katrina Abdul Talib said:

As someone commented here, the tittle "Sunshine" shld at least give us some hope of a happy ending..

....esp Ae Shin and EC.. hope they escape and leave for US.. both can still continue their fights from there?

i think most of us want that ...all we can do is hope... Only a few hours an we will know ...

• Like 3

Hi @rubie

Good to meet again. Thought your profile name looked familiar.

Guessing from his conversation with Kyle, I'm thinking EC will stay behind to fight with AS -- he couldn't bear to leave her too, and it's more attuned to KES's style. But hey, surprise me! 

Dare I hope for another fraternity gathering to provide the last light-hearted moment, even if we do have the pawn brothers and the translator-brethrens. I say this also because I fear DM will be next to go.

Only a few hours to go -- so near yet so far away ...

I will miss a good show.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, cynkdf said:

I just wanted to say I love this song the most. The title alone "How Can I Forget You" encompasses what this drama conveys. We are not to forget. We are not to allow anything like this to happen ever again. I have yet to see English translation for the lyrics. I am certain it is just as haunting and poignant as the melody. Beautiful voice. Beautiful song. 

(Sorry if quoting video is not allowed. I dont know how to remove it). 

Edited by writteninthestars09
  • Like 3

Episode 23 had some enlightening moments.. despite the gloomy sadness all over, there's always life lessons inserted by KES in this particular drama.

Mr. Haengrang and Ms. Haman (H&H) and the elderly RA members, they volunteered to be the deadly decoy so that the others could escape undetected. Good thing the young boy told them that he saw the 2 Japanese soldiers or they'be totally ambushed without any notice. Come to think of it, Eun San is indeed a good leader/strategist for the RA, placing the supposedly deaf-mute acupuncturist at Lee Wan Ik's home. Even Lee Deok Mun doesn't have an inkling, making it an easy access to inside intel for RA. It's no wonder, the old man looked knowingly at AS when she was there to kill LWI. These are brave people, giving their lives so that the others can safely continue their mission.

After this, knowing what happened to H&H, hopefully Eugene will realize that he and AS shouldn't hold back their personal happiness as well, no matter how hard, they should and would fight to live for each other. It's probably pointless at the time when things are in chaos and AS now a wanted person by the Japanese. But I remember that EC may have already thought about marrying AS when he saw how Gunner Jang lost his wife, HongPa. Every moment is just so precious to them. In order to save AS in Japan, he had to do the unthinkable and that cost him his military position and they even wasted 3 years of separation by being in jail. But it's something that had to be done, if EC was still an American Captain, it would actually be harder even impossible for him to protect AS in Joseon.

Really can't say what will happen in the finale (speculations might come true th_hush.gif ).. anxiously waiting and obviously can't stay away. The ending might 'ruin' us.. but not knowing would be the worst dilemma. No way out.. but into the flame.th_draak.gif

Similar to the group photos posted by @charray, here are larger captures of the images. If somehow they appear smaller due to soompi's auto-resize, please check out this link for the source. Also posted at tvn IG for various sizes.

ms328.jpg

ms329.jpg

ms332.jpg

Spoiler

ms330.jpg

Spoiler

ms331.jpg

Spoiler

ms333.jpg

Spoiler

ms334.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, writteninthestars09 said:

I just wanted to say I love this song the most. The title alone "How Can I Forget You" encompasses what this drama conveys. We are not to forget. We are not to allow anything like this to happen ever again. I have yet to see English translation for the lyrics. I am certain it is just as haunting and poignant as the melody. Beautiful voice. Beautiful song. 

(Sorry if quoting video is not allowed. I dont know how to remove it). 

So happy to read your post. I am glad HCY was invited to join such a great OST line-up, and to see that the music production team managed to showcase his brilliant vocals really well. Bonus is that we get to see HCY's face as he records :)

HCY posted about his OST on his instagram :)

• Like 3

th_sad004.gif Incredibly heartbreaking scene,

Spoiler

Ae Shin getting to see the mother who raised her for the last time. th_sad004.gif First it's her grandfather, then Gunner Jang.. now the only parents she ever knew.. 

Even though there's the RA family and aunt(+cousin) away in Manchuria.. it's Eugene who must live for Ae Shin to be alive, she really has no one now..

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

No words to say th_sad005.gif

Spoiler

.. downright depressing..

Spoiler

I can only hope LBH and KTR will act again in a movie rom-com. After all, they're both movie actors. MR.SUNSHINE is a great drama up till episode 21. The ending is probably necessary for KES but it's a torture to endure and a trauma to remember.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Spoiler

OMG, I really hated the ending where everyone dies except for Ae Shin. Why must Eugene die? If there is one person that I wanted to live, it is Eugene or Hui Seong and not Ae Shin.  I am so sad and heart broken. So depressing without any ray of hope or sunshine of how people can live a full life in that depressing and turbulent period? How to mend my broken heart now? :bawling: 

@rubie Just saw your wish. Yes, please I need another project for Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri where they will end up together to heal my broken heart. 

I had enjoyed camping in the forum throughout the 3 months of the airing of Mr Sunshine with fellow Soompi friends. 

I would like to thank everyone on this forum for the active and lively sharing and discussions that we had. Special mention to @rubie for the many updates, articles and photos shared and @mistymorning  for the many updates, articles and translations shared.

• Like 2

• Go Seung Ji changed the title to [Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인
5 minutes ago, elfvanvan said:

As this amazing drama comes to end i just wanna thank you guys , for the news update, ig pictures and etc.. And what an ending it is.:tears::bawling: ..See you.. See you again, 

Nice meeting you here too. You know, now those words, see you and see you again.....will never be the same to me again. It will always remind me of Eushin and Mr Sunshine. Ugh! :bawling:

@rubie I feel the same...I also wish for the same...another project for them otherwise will forever remember this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

@charray, @elfvanvan .. It may not mean anything but we need something to lift our spirits up after such a tragedy, right. KTR did very well in her debut drama but she is more a movie actress. Besides, it will be hard to top MR.SUNSHINE and her Lady Ae Shin character, especially. For LBH, this will probably be his last drama.. later, we don't know. He took the role because of KES and now it's even for both of them. Who knows.. maybe there will be another project of them together after all the 'limitations' in the drama.

Spoiler

LBH had a good chemistry with co-star, CJW (in the drama Beautiful Days), so much so that they went on to act together again in a movie after that.

My gratitude to everyone sharing at the thread, it's been an unforgettable three months of anticipating the episodes every Saturdays & Sundays and discussing our heart's content about the characters and their journey in the drama.

Despite everything from the beginning it was announced to the ending of episode 24, MR.SUNSHINE is undoubtedly ONE OF A KIND. Raising the bar higher in Korean drama production and performance.. everything is top-notch in this delightful & memorable adventure to a traumatic destination.

See you.. see you again.. in a non-depressing, non-torturous, non-traumatic project. Please.

• Like 12

Heartbroken. Crying buckets ... even if I knew more will die.

I was hoping for at least the 2 leads to fight side-by-side -- towards a brighter future for Chosun.

Consoling myself with the fact that finally a great show that I enjoyed after a couple of years and will reminisce the good times with the past episodes. 

KES fooled me again -- SHEET!

• Like 8

I'm not the only one who is crying isn't it ? :bawling:  DAEBAK! and again.. it's one of the best kdrama I've watched eventhough almost all the casts died in the end expect AeShin. But this drama has the best in my favourite. Everything. From the strong story. the superb acting from all the cast. the Cinematography it's incredible beautifully. the OST too woahhh I LOVE ALL THE OST in this drama. they deliver the feeling with a best way. eventhough it's just talk, gaze, or hug even they shoot each other. woahh It's incredible best in every scene. thankyou all the cast..all crew..writer~nim..pd~nim... for your hardwork for make this drama so great. :heart: my favourite kim eun sook's drama after GOBLIN. :thumbsup: SEE YOU AGAIN. :tears:

• Like 8

Well, I have just read the live recap and watched the final part.... the death of Eugene was not necessary.  He was the reluctant hero of this story,  he had an hard life and not even a kiss in exchange of his love’s sacrifice. All the deaths of the characters were unfair, but the one of Eugene is the most tragic.  I will never watch again a drama by this writer... she seemed to just try to close the story in some way... I am left with the sensation she went for the mistreatement of her characters in order to shock the audience. It does not work with me, miss writer. I will always cherish the wonderful characters, full of humanity, but I will never come to terms with the ending the writer chosed for them.

• Like 7
  • Sad 5

WHOA. They do read the tweets..

Well, it's only 'proper' so that it will be impossible for a Season 2. th_aigoo1.gif

September 30, 2018

'Mr. Sunshine' Will Not Return For Season 2, But The Korean Melodrama Will Deliver A Proper Finale

By TAI GOODEN Bustle

8f9463e2-303d-4687-adb0-8c79699165d1-mr_sunshine_unit_still_01.jpg?w=970&h=582&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format&q=70

Jisun Park/Netflix

Period dramas and romance go together like Queen Bey and Jay-Z. Who can resist fantastic costumes, a historical setting, and a sweet flirtation between an unlikely pair? No one, obviously. So, it’s no surprise that Netflix was able to roll out Mr. Sunshine, a series about Eugene Cho (Lee Byung-hun), a Korean-born United States Marine Corps soldier who returns to his native land in the late 19th century and falls in love with a beautiful woman named Go Ae-shin (Kim Tae-ri). The final episodes of Season 1 will drop on Sept. 29 and 30, but Mr. Sunshine will not return for Season 2 because the entire series was only ever supposed to be this long, according to Deadline.

The report confirms that Netflix acquired the rights to start streaming the Korean drama worldwide from production company Hwa&Dam Pictures and Studio Dragon. Netflix has been positioning itself to dominate the global streaming scene through beefing up their international show offerings recently with foreign-language series like The Rain, Dark, Undercover Law, and Deadwind. Mr. Sunshine was created by Kim Eun-sook and directed by Lee Eung-bok, who are both known for their international hit Descendants of the Sun and is currently airing in South Korea.

Mr. Sunshine debuts two episodes a week, so Netflix is deviating from its usual "binge" style format to make sure the releases run in tandem with the regular broadcast. This allows fans around the world to get new material at the same time and avoid those pesky spoilers.

f09b7501-3f41-495e-9cc0-d5cf73987489-mr_sunshine_unit_still_e03_06.jpg?w=646&fit=max&auto=format&q=70

Moon Hee/Netflix

And, it's a perfect time-frame for a summer mini-series because it will wrap up the story near the beginning of the fall TV rush on cable network as well as streaming services. So, if you want something to fill in that mini-gap in your TV schedule and make you get in your deepest feelings, then you should totally be watching this show.

Mr. Sunshine actually didn't drop new episodes on the week of Sept. 16 because of the Chuseok (Harvest Mood Festival) holiday, per Rove.me. That means fans of the love laden series are beyond read for these remaining episodes following the holiday break. A glance at the show's Twitter hashtag reveals fans' bittersweet emotions about the drama thus far and the inevitable end of this saga. There was a massive explosion and cliffhanger at the end of Episode 22, so there could possibly be some major deaths to reconcile. Viewers tweeted about their their hopes, dreams, fears, and theories for how it will all end in the series finale.

Mr. Sunshine may be ending soon, but it's visually stunning and melodramatic episodes are immortalized (sort of) on Netflix for future trips down memory lane. And, at least the show is able to have a definitive ending instead of leaving fans high and dry after a sudden cancellation. That's the beauty of a mini-series. Hopefully, this love story will deliver a finale that conjures up more heart-eyed emojis than crying faces.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4