[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

Re-watching bits of the last episode, and I'm still annoyed at Eugene's "treason" conviction. Treason, in the US, is only waging war against the state, or aiding the enemy. Firing a single bullet at a building doesn't qualify as treason. If he really had committed a treasonous act, he'd get a lot more than 3 years!

Ah, well, who care about reality?

The rings, too. Matching couple rings were NOT a thing back then! Many American men didn't bother with wedding rings at all, and the ones who did wear one usually wore a plain band, NOT something that matched the lady's ring. It make for some sweet scenes, but I just cringe at the anachronism. Might as well give them matching t-shirts.

Also, Dong-Mae needs a hug. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kansas424 said:

Upcoming HIGH CUT issue will feature all the winners of Qing Long Awards of 2016 and 2017 classes, which means both KTR and LBH will feature in it with individual cover.  

This is awesome highlight :wub: .. I was waiting for a group pictorial for the cast of MR.SUNSHINE.. although it may not happen. There are of course, individual pictorials for everyone.. Byun Yo Han has been coming out with magazine spread and interview. For new movies to be released, there're always (at least one) pictorial of the main cast but not a common practice for dramas. Although I thought there were one or two dramas recently that had couple pictorial, if not mistaken, Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food and What's Wrong with Secretary Kim.. might be totally wrong here. :wacko:

Anyway.. I'm a bit curious about the Qing Long Awards of  2016 and 2017 classes. Have not heard or read about it.. is there another name for it? Sorry, I can't help asking for details.. for re-posting purposes.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, rubie said:

Anyway.. I'm a bit curious about the Qing Long Awards of  2016 and 2017 classes. Have not heard or read about it.. is there another name for it? Sorry, I can't help asking for details.. for re-posting purposes.

I think it is Blue Dragon Film Awards? Both LBH and KTR look great in their individual pictures posted above.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@charray, @rubie, yup, those are some of Blue Dragon Film winners for 2016/2017. LBH won best actor and KTR won Best New Actress on 2016.

Jumped on limited edition Mr Sunshine OSTs. It's probably the first time for me to want more narration in the OST disk., because there's only 1 Eugene's narration... can I have more? 

http://www.yes24.com/24/goods/64604891

198746595(1).jpg

What's included in the set is,

2CD + 1DVD(highlight)

All singers signed photo

Huisung's flower letter

Zebra word card

Apothecary letter

Lettering sticker

Pinwheel bookmark

Tarot card

I want Eugene ver. cover with Aeshin version poster... 

• Like 7

th_flower_10-1.gif

Emperor Gojong desperately needed Jang Seung Gu not to die.. there's really no one by his side anymore as LJM doesn't return to Joseon. It's sad and pitiful that the king is really all alone in the end.

mrsun18_06.gif

SG grew up resenting the Emperor and wanted to kill him but he had to serve to protect his 'enemy' and eventually learn to understand about the man on the throne. 

SG who grew up as a rebel, as @mistergenie mentioned, he died a HERO.

Captures: DailyGrid

96129_69404_4736.jpg

Lee Seung Joon, the sad history of Gojong's heartbreak

Source: GG Ilbo

tvN weekend drama 'Sean Shine'

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, rubie said:

Emperor Gojong desperately needed Jang Seung Gu not to die.. there's really no one by his side anymore as LJM doesn't return to Joseon. It's sad and pitiful that the king is really all alone in the end.

@rubieGunner Jang was one of my two most favourite characters in the drama, so I wish he somehow managed to survive.

HCY's vlive session on 11 Sep where he talked about his OST has now been subbed in English. I watched it  again hoping he'll somehow give a spoiler (that's assuming he can guess the ending through the lyrics of his OST ) but he didn't really.  He did praise LBH's acting  .... he  talked about the OST  from 46:36 to 52:26.

https://www.vlive.tv/video/88506

Spoiler

51:19 A fan asked HCY "What did you think about while singing it?" His answer: "Since it's my feeling, I thought about a battlefield.  A music director was with me then.  A hero is standing on the battlefield in a gruesome place. And the biting wind is blowing, right? I thought about a lot of complicated emotions while I thought of the character who was standing in the middle.  A hero's heart where he had to leave the people  he loves behind and come to the battlefield. And the heart of having to survive and go back. I thought about many things and I put it in the lyrics."

• Like 5

Thank you @kansas424, @charray and @mistymorning for the Blue Dragon pictorial highlight and confirmation. Checking previous update (from the BD Awards 2017 winners' handprint), found these pics. Except for Park So Dam.. LBH, KTR and PJM have now connected through MR.SUNSHINE.

Spoiler

20171113h_12.jpg

Spoiler

20171113h_10.jpg

Chungmuro Crumb has a little description of the High Cut cover pictorial. I just love the black and white group photo.

@cynkdf Thanks so much for sharing the tidbits about the upcoming OST and how each singer would deliver his or her rendition, even in the  recording studio. All the MR.SUNSHINE soundtrack have been just outstanding and befitting for such an amazing drama to  experience. Everything about the final 2 episodes can be just about anything... that we probably did not expect. :mellow:

• Like 5

Byun Yo Han has won my heart ever since Misaeng.  I can't think of anyone else playing Kim Hee-Sung at this point.  The growth of his character, his grace and poise (haha I know), how he is able to rise above what is expected of him, all quietly for others ... to repay the sins of his family.    I don't think he has ever feel comfortable with his family wealth so instead, he puts his life to good use. Unlike many other characters bound by circumstances in this drama, Hee Sung is the author of his own destiny.  :)

Byun Yo Han Speaks Affectionately About “Mr. Sunshine” Co-Stars Lee Byung Hun And Yoo Yeon Seok

image_readtop_2018_590707_15373186843465

image_readbot_2018_590707_15373186853465

Byun Yo Han spoke about his experience while appearing in tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine.”

The actor is featured in the October issue of star1 Magazine where he graced the cover, posed for stylish photos, and partook in an interview.

In “Mr. Sunshine,” Byun Yo Han appeared as the serious yet humorous editor-in-chief Kim Hee Sung. About the drama, he said, “It was a story with weight, so I chose ‘Mr. Sunshine.’ I excitedly and carefully participated in the drama.”

He continued, “My heart lurched for the character Kim Hee Sung. I was anxious at first, but it now feels bittersweet after filming has ended.”

When asked what it was like filming with Lee Byung Hun and Yoo Yeon Seok, the actor replied, “What more is there to say. As a junior actor, it was a time where I could rely on senior actors, and I learned and felt a lot.”

He added, “Kim Hee Sung is a really great man. I strongly felt his strength in his decisions when he sincerely apologized, cooly let go of someone he loved, apologized while being truly embarrassed, and laughed without flinching even when a gun or a knife was pointed at him. I wanted to express the character Kim Hee Sung by even a few percents. He said fun lines, but he was hurting inside. So even though I was smiling, I was sad and very lonely.”

“I like documentaries, so I film myself a lot,” continued Byun Yo Han. “It’s because I want to learn about myself as a person. If I could be an editor-in-chief like my character in the drama, I want to interview my parents. I want to ask about the present and record it, not as a child and parent, but from interviewer to interviewee. I always want to live while expressing gratitude towards my parents and the people around me.”

Source

Spoiler

image_readmed_2018_590707_15373186843465

@marfisa  Kyle was the only friend Eugene has for a long time.  Someone to confide in and guided him as EG was struggling with his nationality.  It was meaningful to admit that he is moving forward as a person.  He is confident that his home is in America but knows home is not limited by his relationship with the country or the military (which he has lost ties with).  I was glad to see Eugene starts to see himself more than just a captain of the US Marine Corps. His past with America and the armed forces are an important make up of who he is, a history that he does not forget.  He is at peace with this personal conflict, the question of where his loyalty should lie.  He still identifies with being a US citizen but it is not all who he will be.

When I first started to watch Mr Sunshine, I had thought about how the drama would address the idea of immigrants and patriotism.  I am not sure what the ending will be for all of our characters but I feel that the question of patriotism and country have been answered through Eugene.  He feels a part of both countries.  The love and patriotism he has are for both US and Joseon.  I really like how the drama settles on the idea that patriotism is a personal choice and not be defined by your birthplace.  

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, bedifferent said:
  Hide contents

@marfisa  Kyle was the only friend Eugene has for a long time.  Someone to confide in and guided him as EG was struggling with his nationality.  It was meaningful to admit that he is moving forward as a person.  He is confident that his home is in America but knows home is not limited by his relationship with the country or the military (which he has lost ties with).  I was glad to see Eugene starts to see himself more than just a captain of the US Marine Corps. His past with America and the armed forces are an important make up of who he is, a history that he does not forget.  He is at peace with this personal conflict, the question of where his loyalty should lie.  He still identifies with being a US citizen but it is not all who he will be.

When I first started to watch Mr Sunshine, I had thought about how the drama would address the idea of immigrants and patriotism.  I am not sure what the ending will be for all of our characters but I feel that the question of patriotism and country have been answered through Eugene.  He feels a part of both countries.  The love and patriotism he has are for both US and Joseon.  I really like how the drama settles on the idea that patriotism is a personal choice and not be defined by your birthplace.  

Fantastic elucidation of Eugene's state of mind regarding patriotism/loyalty and being at peace with his identity even without the crutch of being a soldier. Loved your explanation. :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1775orange said:

Is there an episode this Sat, 22 Sept? I saw on Google, next episode is scheduled next Sat, 29 Sept. 

Hi and welcome to MR.SUNSHINE. That is correct, unfortunately. The final 2 episodes will not be aired this weekend. Episode 23 will be aired on the 29th while the finale will be on the 30th.

However, there will be a special segment called 'Mr Sunshine: Guns, Glory, Sad Ending' this Saturday (9/22) because of the Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving on 9/23-9/25) holidays. If not mistaken, the special program will be aired on tvN but not on Netflix. So, it's uncertain if there will be English subs available.

One more week to go.. more or less.. more waiting..cat3.gif

Art by Ruro

The Fearless HiNa

The Awesome Left & Right

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/19/2018 at 10:23 PM, mistymorning said:

Jumped on limited edition Mr Sunshine OSTs. It's probably the first time for me to want more narration in the OST disk., because there's only 1 Eugene's narration... can I have more? 

http://www.yes24.com/24/goods/64604891

What's included in the set is,

2CD + 1DVD(highlight)

All singers signed photo

Huisung's flower letter

Zebra word card

Apothecary letter

Lettering sticker

Pinwheel bookmark

Tarot card

I want Eugene ver. cover with Aeshin version poster... 

Oh, I am interested to order too as I love almost all the OSTs for this drama.

@mistymorning  Thanks for the link. Can I ask which is Ae Shin cover version and which is Eugene cover version? Is Ae Shin version the one with Ae Shin and Eugene doing the eye identification one? What else is different between the 2 versions  other than the cover?

And Mr Sunshine filming location in Nonsan will be opened for sightseeing.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, charray said:

Sorry to cut your post. I don't know if this has been posted earlier:

http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/AKR/FU_EN_15.jsp?cid‰=‰724215&cid=2559657

I hope that HCY will be invited to the opening ceremony and sing his OST :) (well, the drama ending had better be good :))  He is an honorary ambassador for Korea tourism (specifically targeting Chinese tourists) 

Spoiler

• Like 4

3 hours ago, charray said:

Oh, I am interested to order too as I love almost all the OSTs for this drama.

@mistymorning  Thanks for the link. Can I ask which is Ae Shin cover version and which is Eugene cover version? Is Ae Shin version the one with Ae Shin and Eugene doing the eye identification one? What else is different between the 2 versions  other than the cover?

Main difference is color of cover/box (Eugene ver is dark blue, Aeshin ver is pink???) and , and for pre-order customers they give posters(60cm x 45cm) Eugene version poster has three men, Aeshin version is Eugene-Aeshin doing eye identification. Nothing else seems to be different.

Other site is also selling, this one is selling for US(Item is for set )

http://music.aladin.co.kr/shop/wproduct.aspx?ItemId=168883801

FYI, Here is the track list for 2CD. I believe these are identical in 2 versions.

CD1

01. The Day all winds stop (The Day Overture)

02. Park HyoShin - The Day Original Ver.

03. Elaine - Sad March

04. Kim YoonAh - Days WIthout Tears

05. Kim Suhyun - Sori(Sound)

06. Melomance - Good day

07. Savina and drones - My Home (Eugene's Song)

08. Ha Hyunsang - Become The Wind

09. Park HyoShin - The Day Original Ver.(Inst.)

10. Park Won - Stranger 

11. O3ohn - Shine Your Star (Prod. by ZICO)

12. Nu'est W - AND I

13. Paek Ji-Young - See You Again ( Feat. Richard Yongjae O'Neill)

14. Shin Seunghun - Like a beautiful flame

15. Sejung(Gugudan) - Paramour

16. Ben - If you were me

17. Hwang Chi-Yeul - How can I forget

18. Jung Jaeil - Far away dream

CD2.

01. Richard Youngjae O'Neill - Mr. Sunshine (Title)

02. Greensleeves (Musicbox Drama Ver. )

03. Eugene's step( Eugene's narration )

04. Sad ending

05. Wild flower

06. I choose it. ( Aeshin's narration)

07. Like a flame

08. Aeshin and Hamandaek

09. Something bad (Huisung's narration)

10.  Days without tears (Piano Ver. ) (Feat. Kim Huisung)

11. Walking side-by-side

12. Black bird

13. One more step

14. Age of romance

15. Glory

16. What is "Love"

17. Enemy of the world (Dongmae's narration)

18. Sad waltz (Dongmae's theme)

19. Choose to bite. (Hina's narration)

20. Waiting (Hina's theme)

21. Death Of Mother

22. Ghost Ship

23. Sniper

24. Battle

25. Tumultuous Joseon

26. Elaine - Rise Again ( Feat. Will Bug )

* Some of the titles are translated, instead of official english title(Too lazy to find all of them, sorry)

Never felt like visiting Drama location site, but oh well, I love to go there and check out room 304, bakery and apothecary.... 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, mistymorning said:

Main difference is color of cover/box (Eugene ver is dark blue, Aeshin ver is pink???) and , and for pre-order customers they give posters(60cm x 45cm) Eugene version poster has three men, Aeshin version is Eugene-Aeshin doing eye identification. Nothing else seems to be different.

Other site is also selling, this one is selling for US(Item is for set )

http://music.aladin.co.kr/shop/wproduct.aspx?ItemId=168883801

FYI, Here is the track list for 2CD. I believe these are identical in 2 versions.

CD1

01. The Day all winds stop (The Day Overture)

02. Park HyoShin - The Day Original Ver.

03. Elaine - Sad March

04. Kim YoonAh - Days WIthout Tears

05. Kim Suhyun - Sori(Sound)

06. Melomance - Good day

07. Savina and drones - My Home (Eugene's Song)

08. Ha Hyunsang - Become The Wind

09. Park HyoShin - The Day Original Ver.(Inst.)

10. Park Won - Stranger 

11. O3ohn - Shine Your Star (Prod. by ZICO)

12. Nu'est W - AND I

13. Paek Ji-Young - See You Again ( Feat. Richard Yongjae O'Neill)

14. Shin Seunghun - Like a beautiful flame

15. Sejung(Gugudan) - Paramour

16. Ben - If you were me

17. Hwang Chi-Yeul - How can I forget

18. Jung Jaeil - Far away dream

CD2.

01. Richard Youngjae O'Neill - Mr. Sunshine (Title)

02. Greensleeves (Musicbox Drama Ver. )

03. Eugene's step( Eugene's narration )

04. Sad ending

05. Wild flower

06. I choose it. ( Aeshin's narration)

07. Like a flame

08. Aeshin and Hamandaek

09. Something bad (Huisung's narration)

10.  Days without tears (Piano Ver. ) (Feat. Kim Huisung)

11. Walking side-by-side

12. Black bird

13. One more step

14. Age of romance

15. Glory

16. What is "Love"

17. Enemy of the world (Dongmae's narration)

18. Sad waltz (Dongmae's theme)

19. Choose to bite. (Hina's narration)

20. Waiting (Hina's theme)

21. Death Of Mother

22. Ghost Ship

23. Sniper

24. Battle

25. Tumultuous Joseon

26. Elaine - Rise Again ( Feat. Will Bug )

* Some of the titles are translated, instead of official english title(Too lazy to find all of them, sorry)

Never felt like visiting Drama location site, but oh well, I love to go there and check out room 304, bakery and apothecary.... 

Do I think in correct way, that CD1 is with ost (songs with singing voice) and CD2 ist with score (instrumental music in the background, from opening etc)?

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, jomary4 said:

Do I think in correct way, that CD1 is with ost (songs with singing voice) and CD2 ist with score (instrumental music in the background, from opening etc)?

Yes, I believe so(unless noted Inst. in CD1 ). CD2 seems to have the instrumental musics and narrations. I am sure they'll release something like standard version of OSTs later, considering current one is limited to 10K copies. They're currently weekly top Ballade best sellers in yes 24 and weekly top ost best seller in aladin.

Also, Seo Yujeong(actress of Hongpa) appeared in entertainment show "Happy Together 3 ", episode 555. She talked about her experience shooting Mr. Sunshine. esp. with Lee Byung-Hun.

(Photo from http://www.kyeongin.com/main/view.php?key=20180921000018439)

20180921000018439_1.jpg

Park MyungSoo asked "how is it to act with LBH" to SYJ. She said, "I was very very surprised". "Usually while acting, it's not easy to stare at person's eyes speaking to him/her, but if you watch acting in Hollywood, they are staring at each other, thru out their acting." 

"Maybe because of LBH sunbaenim's Hollywood movies, he seems to focus his eyes on you while acting, drawing you into his eyes, really a master's work."

• Like 11