[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

@linygirl1 Welcome back to the thread. Good to read your thoughts, keep on posting & joining in, ok. It's @mistergenie and others who are doing a good job dissecting the (current)AS and EC relationship. There's still so many aspects that have not been explained by the drama.. hopefully in the remaining 4 episodes (sobs! it's almost ending), there will be some light shining the unclear decision taken by our heroine. So far, I think, the flashbacks have been enlightening and helpful.. which is what we need to further understand & appreciate the plight of the nameless RA fighters.

September 13, 2018

Righteous Army: The Joseon spirit feared by Japan

Source: Sports Donga ++

ms299.jpg

• Like 3

All credit to Chungmuro Crumb

The lyrics has words : "If you like me, if you want me, please look at me. Don't worry about me. It's easy to do that alone"

Welp! More sadness on the way. Song lyrics definitely echoing Ae Shin's state of mind. Part of me wants to take a step back now, wait until E24 airs and then binge the last 4 episodes in one go but being this emotionally invested in the show makes me weak and without self control - deep down, I know that I will never be able to stay away from spoilers or the discussions that follow after.

• Like 4

@mistergenie

I would like Aeshin to go to the US. It suits me more that from time to time she returns to the occupied country with money to support RA, she can kill some high-ranking officer and thanks to the American status, help refugees leave the country. She takes a little risk while being married to Eugene, but it's better than runs in the forest with a gun. At some point, the Japanese army had 2 million soldiers. Will she kill them all?

She cant distinguish between being useful and vengeance.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aurelionsol said:

@mistergenie

I would like Aeshin to go to the US. It suits me more that from time to time she returns to the occupied country with money to support RA, she can kill some high-ranking officer and thanks to the American status, help refugees leave the country. She takes a little risk while being married to Eugene, but it's better than ran in the forest with a gun. At some point, the Japanese army had 4 million soldiers. Will she kill them all?

She cant distinguish between being useful and vengeance.

At this point, considering the direction of the drama, America ain't happening. It only ever was a futile hope.

The bare optimism that I can scrounge at this point, is holding a teeny tiny bit of  hope for some kind of future for EC/AS in Shanghai. Otherwise, all available signs portend doom(for the character/s) and gloom (for us , the viewers).

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, mistergenie said:

At this point, considering the direction of the drama, America ain't happening. It only ever was a futile hope.

The bare optimism that I can scrounge at this point, is holding a teeny tiny bit of  hope for some kind of future for EC/AS in Shanghai. Otherwise, all available signs portend doom(for the character/s) and gloom (for us , the viewers).

I said it in previous posts. Her behavior is detached from reality and she does not behave like a mature 30-year-old woman (now maybe she has a problem - PTSD, shock after losing home and family and we need some flashbacks? I hope that she will fix and stabilize the point of view in last 4 episodes - be together/spending some time with EC when he will follow her, help and protect). This relationship was not needed for anything as she is going to stupidly die, (uses him?) and leave Eugene in pain. Unless she brings them both to death... 

The relationship is another chance (love, life) and many possibilities in a modern and strong country. There are many ways to help the occupied country.

"Let the plot flies with the forced script... and suicide mission to Japan?

Anyway, I'll see what they came up with in the last episodes. Im beginning to fear the end of the series."

• Like 2

I think Ae Shin had a shock losing her grandfather and seeing his family/home being attacked. She saw HS and Haman nearly died in front of her eyes. Then there's the news of Hong Pa being killed. Not fully realizing it, AS probably shuts down for awhile and stayed away from Eugene. Even if EC is a capable soldier, AS perhaps thought it's best to stay away of each other's way till things cool down. She doesn't want to lose him (which we assumes that AS just like EC, longing for each other). But now with LJM being kidnapped bringing a threat to RA and news of EC leaving Joseon, presented an idea to AS. Well, we don't know what's really the plan in her mind but together again with EC (for whatever reason now) will help him put some sense & perspective to their relationship. It's not all rosy and happy like we've seen before but the hard reality kicking in. With just ES and the others, it's all technical and RA stuff. AS is a big girl but by herself, she no longer has the company of Haman or Gunner Jang or EC to help stabilize her emotional shock. She may look cold, composed and all.. but she's lonely and desperate to fulfill her mission as an RA fighter. Could be totally different from how KES would portray Ae Shin finding her purpose and not just waiting for the inevitable to happen.

mrsun19_00.gif

• Like 5

I don’t think it is wrong of Ae Shin to want to continue her fight for the cause of Joseon. Her grandfather and parents gave up their lives for  Joseon too. She has to hide and lie low as she is on the hit list of the Japanese now. I feel the reason that she wanted to go separate ways with Eugene is driven more by concern for his  safety and to a lesser extent by the need to focus on the dangerous task in front of her. 

While her request to Eugene to take her away to America is to use the opportunity  to go to Japan on her suicide mission, I feel she is also using this opportunity to get Eugene to leave Joseon and return to America somehow, again for his safety. 

Of course Eugene will know that she had other plans and had no intention to leave for America with him. I am anticipating to see how he will react to her plans.

I can’t really hate Ae Shin. I feel she still has him in her heart and she still loves him dearly despite everything. 

• Like 4

I'm sure Ae Shin really loves Eugene (if not more than ever).. or she wouldn't risk herself going back to get that music box from TM's room. But now, she's at a dilemma.. she probably doesn't see how she could have both -- be a part of RA and be with Eugene without compromising each other. Because she is fighting for Joseon and she belongs in Joseon,  not for another nation (like Eugene), she chooses her country over him.

September 13, 2018

Sejeong to release track for ‘Mr. Sunshine’

Girl group Gugudan’s Sejeong is set to release an original track for tvN drama series “Mr. Sunshine” on Sunday.

According to the officials of the show on Thursday, the 13th track produced originally for “Mr. Sunshine” will be released on local digital music platforms on Sunday at 6 p.m.

(Jellyfish Entertainment)

The song, “Lover,” is a piano melody that blends Sejeong’s husky voice and delicate expression of emotion. It is to heighten the grief-stricken situations of the show’s two main characters. The heartbreaking lyrics added to Sejeong’s powerful yet sentimental voice reportedly portray the heartbreaking emotion. 

(CJ ENM)

TvN’s 24-episode historical drama series “Mr. Sunshine” concerns a high-positioned Korean-American at the US Legation during the Joseon era, before Japan’s colonial rule of 1910-45.

By Kim Hye-soo (clairek@heraldcorp.com)

• Like 3

time to change the subject - we will see soon what will happen between AS / EC

Thoughts

Anyone something better than this? Hotaru crying and the sword in the hands of DM must means something? DM pulls out a sword in one of the scenes and in another Aeshin is attacked by few mens with (swords?)

Hotaru was a spy (Musin leader), she sent a message about Aeshin's (whereabouts after DM/AS meeting) or even maybe she sent swordsmen who are not DM people? If Aeshin's dies, DM will stop risking (we all know how much she means to him). 
Hotaru is not aware that she is risking her life if this is truth (It can be a sad ending to their relationship as a siblings) and DM probably will go to help Aeshin's and kill those who are chasing her (he protects - Lord Go) or he discovered after the fight that it was her job.  

mixed scenes, blurred, not clear in this preview :/

• Like 3

5 hours ago, charray said:

I don’t think it is wrong of Ae Shin to want to continue her fight...............<end>

I can’t really hate Ae Shin. I feel she still has him in her heart and she still loves him dearly despite everything. 

Don't think anyone here hates her at all. She is quite an awesome character. Agreed on the second part - we know she loves him dearly - why else would she steal that music box back from Takashi? Why else would she say this "but I want you to live." and why else would she be so visibly affected when Eugene says that it feels like he will die if he doesn't see her. BUT, that being said, we needed more insight into her mind about her feelings for Eugene - specially in those 6 months she was missing after her meeting with him where she promised she would let him know where she would be and did not keep that promise at all. So, I can understand Eugene's resentment (which is rooted in love) towards her.

I don’t think it is wrong of Ae Shin to want to continue her fight for the cause of Joseon.

Full agreement here.

She has to hide and lie low as she is on the hit list of the Japanese now.

I get that but it cannot be an excuse for ghosting Eugene for 6 months. The least she could have done was a letter or two per month, send messages via trusted folk like the baker, Su Mi etc. She loves him but leaves him worrying like that for 6 months? Not done.

I feel the reason that she wanted to go separate ways with Eugene is driven more by concern for his  safety.

The show only put in one single throwaway line that could indicate this - "but I want you to live" but it never showed more into Ae Shin's frame of mind and her inner thoughts about Eugene.

While her request to Eugene to take her away to America is to use the opportunity  to go to Japan on her suicide mission, I feel she is also using this opportunity to get Eugene to leave Joseon and return to America somehow, again for his safety. 

Whether Ae Shin came back after 6 months or not, it does not matter. Eugene would have had to go back to the US, once the transfer order came. Her coming back into his life is bound to backfire because it will give him impetus to stay and try to be there for her.

She may believe that she will send him on his way to the US while she goes through with the dangerous mission in Japan,  but how can she not know deep down that he will not be going at all once he sees what she is up to? She knows very well how much he loves her and how much he desires to walk alongside her on her path/mission, so why involve him in the first place if his safety was her one and only concern?

It's not like there was a shortage of volunteers in the RA willing to go to Japan - other RA members spoke before her and were ready to go. So, why take on the mission with the plan to use Eugene(despite concern for his safety) in the first place when she could have easily sat back and let the other RA members do the job?

Of course Eugene will know that she had other plans and had no intention to leave for America with him. I am anticipating to see how he will react to her plans.

Eugene knows. Definitely. Yet, we all know he will still walk with her to hell and back. Not for nothing was his dialog from E09 repeated again: "She is very cruel. Where do I lie between her passion (Joseon) and cruelty(not caring what this is doing to Eugene who loves her)? I thought I was close (as in close enough to invoke the same passion for him that she has for Joseon) but i might have to go even further(he still has to keep pushing/walking toward her). One more step, into the flame(the flame here is obviously Ae Shin).

All this talk of flame and walking towards it makes me think - is Eugene destined to be a moth? Can't help but be drawn closer and closer to the flame(AS) until he ends up destroying himself(death) while protecting and/or helping her during a mission? Will his fate be like that of a moth? Or will he end up being like wax/gasoline/wick that not only helps the flame(AS) shine brighter(mission successes) but also burn for an extended time (stay alive longer)? Point to ponder.

4 hours ago, aurelionsol said:

DM probably will go to help Aeshin's and kill those who are chasing her (he protects - Lord Go) or he discovered after the fight that it was her job.  

mixed scenes, blurred, not clear in this preview :/

When those men are attacking Ae Shin, there's a super quick frame of the last man in that blurry pile, pushing one of the men attacking her - my theory is that the newly arrived Japanese yakuza will be the ones to attack her and Dong Mae will end up protecting her and they both get help in the form of more of Dong Mae's men arriving and fighting off and killing the attackers. Maybe Hotaru intentionally or unintentionally leaks info about Ae Shin's whereabouts when AS comes to visit Dong Mae to give him his coin payment/s. We can clearly see that AS is dressed in her customary dark suit when she is being attacked - the same dark suit she is in when she meets Dong Mae/points a gun at him and the same one she is wearing when she is pointing her gun at someone from a rooftop.

• Like 2

Eugene is the current consul, so he should write/create a marriage certificate and arrange wedding rings (or they are only enaged?). This should look realistically shown, because they would let her out of the country like that? There are restrictions on taking a woman on board.

Edit:

RA must have prepared the way back from Japan to Joseon. Just how is Aeshin intends to go back when there are restrictions and Eugene will go further?

1. It would be interesting if Eun San told her that she should go to US (order? her time is over?) or he started working with Eugene or take his side and send her to a safe place - US. Eun San give Eugene the missionary under care so the situation may look similar.

2. Unless Eugene will be a deserter and come back to her and follow her to Joseon. They can die in Joseon or be saved by Americans chased by Musin Society or Japanese soldiers thanks to Kyle (he send telegram  to US and explain sytuation and they forgive Eugene for the former merit and Aeshin  officialy become American citizen and both must go US). Kyle save both of them in Japan and there must also be American soldiers - US legation.

3. They can either die in Japan (together holding hands like heroes and lovers? such a romantic version) or go to US together (her decision after mission in Japan) .

4. She die for country and he stay alone?

Something else? More or less realistic

The possibilities are so many and I wonder what writers will choose. I'm waiting now - the question is whether I will be satisfied or disappointed by the finale. I am losing certainty in writers (after ep 19-20 and synopsis ep 21) and this may be my last post :) maybe I will not have anything to comment on... maybe they'll fix something in episode 21-22 and the inspiration will come back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mistymorning said:

@mistergenie, here you go... but another sad clues...

Text preview for episode 21:

AS tries to get to Japan using Eugene(KTR). Eugene takes her hands even though he knows her intention. Arriving Japan, Eugene has a premonition of sad parting with AS...

Ooh! thanks. Wasn't expecting it to be posted until tomorrow.

You know, I can't decide what is more depressing - the  gloomy synopsis or the fact that I am a little bit happy that Eugene and Ae Shin at least get to spend some time together, albeit under such sad circumstances..

SPECULATION TIME:

AS tries to get to Japan using Eugene(KTR). Eugene takes her hands even though he knows her intention.

Poor Eugene - He knows what's up but he he is too noble a character to call her out on it. He would rather sacrifice and suffer.

Anyways, previously, I have found the synopses of Mr. Sunshine to be too literal and matter of fact - so Eugene taking Ae Shin's hands may literally mean just that - he takes her hands in his and agrees to go with her. OR it could mean a fake marriage and the whole shebang of fake certificate and fake rings. I will safely go with the former option.

Arriving in Japan, Eugene has a premonition of sad parting with AS...

Hmm. She will definitely part with him once they reach Japan but I don't think she will straight up say it to him but rather give him the slip and disappear. It is another matter if Eugene will let her go away like that - from the preview we see him on the rooftop in a mask, following someone - he is definitely on to her.

I wonder when and where the other parts of the preview take place - does AS run into Dong Mae in Japan? Possible, no? Or maybe she first goes to him in Joseon to gather information on the Mushin Society HQ in Japan.

About AS's clothes - there are some sequences of scenes in the preview where she is in Western clothes (red hat and blue coat) running with Eugene and alone too, in a bid to escape from people chasing them/her. There are also scenes in which she is in her RA attire of dark suit, pointing a gun from a rooftop and later getting attacked by some men - now, which of these events come first - the events where she is in a Western dress or the events when she is in her RA attire suit? What do you guys think?

• Like 3