[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

6 hours ago, burningpotato said:

I looked him up, since I wasn't familiar with the actor or his work, and wow, is he versatile!

Hwang Chi Yeul is indeed versatile, he can even sing Chinese songs (he memorized the lyrics and has a loyal sizable fanbase in China. Some of his fans in China are watching "Mr Sunshine" simply because he has sung an OST for it. 

Tidbit of info - HCY is the ex-vocal coach of the singers of OST 10 for "Mr Sunshine" NU'EST W :) He must be so proud of them.

Spoiler

A fan of his did an FMV using HCY's Chinese song "Dream has landed" as BGM for a Korean movie. I understand that the lyrics are really difficult.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, burningpotato said:

I didn't even notice that! (I never got past "State of Washington".) Yes, a Roosevelt was president then, but it was the other Roosevelt!

While we're at it, did anyone think, while watching the first episode and seeing Eugene arriving in the US, "Wow, San Francisco looks a lot like NYC", and then realize he was actually supposed to be arriving in NYC? I assumed the port of entry would be San Francisco, since that was the major west coast US city then, but then I realized they were arriving in New York, and I figured they must have gone aaaallllll the way around the southern tip of South America, you know, since the Panama Canal didn't exist yet? No big deal, until Eugene said that it took him a month to get to America on that ship. Would going from Seoul to New York City by ship in just one month even have been possible?????

Oh, and then he's shown at the Naval Academy, for some reason, and then in D.C., talking to President (Theodore) Roosevelt. Okay, Annapolis and D.C. aren't too far apart. But then he's suddenly back in NYC, like, later that day, or something? How? How did that happen? 

Who on the production team was supposed to be in charge of looking at maps??????

After looking at the screen cap again, I noticed they spelled "WASHINTON" instead of "WASHINGTON". *face palm* 

Geographically speaking, it does make more sense for him to travel to SF. However, I think KES, PD, or production team went for the visual route and wanted to showcase the iconic Brooklyn Bridge (construction period: 1869 - 1883), which fits better for the storyline's time period. The Golden Gate Bridge in SF didn't exist until the 1930's, and there would not have been any iconic landmark to show.

RD4WdRM.jpg

There was someone in DB who mentioned about the inaccurate portrayal of the bridge here, because it took 14 years to complete and would not look nearly completed when Eugene arrived in 1871. :lol:

0Uw7IWW.jpg

The Brooklyn Bridge is gorgeous, and Eugene's silhouette is a bonus! :w00t:

As for the other locations that you've mentioned, I think it's best to treat this drama as a fiction and just enjoy it as is, without having to wrack our brains out. ;)

• Like 8

Aeshin: There is always a way. 

She somehow treats it selectively. When he said it, her hat fell into the river and he gave her own hat.

Beach

Aeshin: I'm starting to have futile hopes

Eugene: What do you mean?

AS: This is the 1st time I'he travelled this far out. Next time, I wish to travel even further I could even get another chance after that. That kind of hope. 

EC: Where will you go? Am I there with you? 

AS: You are. It is what I wish. 

Street: 

Aeshin disappears for 2 months after destroying her family. Eugene thoughts what hunter Hong said him in his room. 

Hong: She says you are further away than the sea. She insists on making her way to you. If she must go through wherever that may be, I hope you will be there for her. 

Aeshin show up after his request and they have arguing. She wants part ways and her companions are waiting for her. He's putting a firm attitude and asking her what about him? His desires dont matter to her? He says he will wait for her, which he does for the next six months. 

They meet after six months. She knows that he is leaving thanks to her master. I think he did him a favor and put her in a situation where she must make a choice. Eugene forced the Japanese to cut off Hong wife body, help him bury her and get revenge (colonel and japanese soldiers). He was even shot in arm during an argument with Takashi Mori. He warned the potter and Hongpa. She stay and was killed by Mori (she made a risky decision).

AeShin must be aware that he was waiting for her. I'm curious if she keep her promise after completing the mission and go with him to US.  It seems that she missed him because she has tears in her eyes and noticed he doesn't look happy seeing her. Another thing to think about it and make a decision - fighter or love.

• Like 4

Translation for BTS from @rubie

Mr. Sunshine
AS-WI on good terms for real
EC-AS, betting on holding laughs!? (ft. Takashi, king of practice )

1st
Rehearsal for scene where AS kills WI.
B: AS comes to kill WI
AS: I should have come sooner.
WI: Are you done (with your lines?)
AS:Yes I am done.
WI(then it's my turn): Stop your BS! ( throwing pillow)
AS: Bang! (leaning side to avoid pillow) Argh!
WI: It's poison pillow! (laughing)
AS couphing for poison pillow reaction.
Staff: She shot you while you're talking.
WI: There's no time to listen all the talking. It'll be dawn if you do. (WI is) Too much talker.
(real shooting begins)
(WI couphing blood after being shot)
staff/AS: the blood is grape juice. he's spitting out grape juice.
(scene change to Matsuyama's office in hospital. Takashi is practicing and hunter Jang looking).
(Seungu kidnaps Takashi from behind)
Dir: One more time with the line.
(Sasaki role actor is actually Japanese pronunciation teacher too. He's correcting Takashi's pronunciation).
(trying one more time, this time perfect lines and acting!)

2nd

(Rehearsal for EC-AS scene together , trying lines ).

BH: Don't hold it(her laughter)

TR starts laughing right away.

BH: Your face shows it too well.

TR: Hey! I'm trying to hold it with my last breath! 

They're laughing together.

TR: Ok, I'm serious now. I'm not looking.

BH: Ok, for how much, 10K won (about $10) betting? 

TR keeps laughing, uncontrollable.

BH: Wow, are you that happy?

BH: (serious but with little bit of smile) It's 10K bet, pay me. (TR laughing)

(scene changed to actual shoot, ending with heartfelt confession of Eugene)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

"...The war began on February 8, 1904, when the main Japanese fleet launched a surprise attack and siege on the Russian naval squadron at Port Arthur. In March the Japanese landed an army in Korea that quickly overran that country. In May another Japanese army landed on the Liaodong Peninsula, and on May 26 it cut off the Port Arthur garrison from the main body of Russian forces in Manchuria. The Japanese then pushed northward, and the Russian army fell back to Mukden (now Shenyang) after losing battles at Fu-hsien (now Wafangdian) (June 14) and Liaoyang (August 25), south of Mukden. In October the Russians went back on the offensive with the help of reinforcements received via the Trans-Siberian Railroad, but their attacks proved indecisive owing to poor military leadership..."

I found information only in one site about the landing of the japanese military expedition in Joseon. Is this information included in Korean historical books or is it a mistake? I see more often information about landing in the Liaodong province and blockade Port Arthur in May.

Anyone can help? Thanks for the clarification.  

They sank Russian ships on February 8 (they changed history a bit because in series ships was in Jemulpo Bay, Port Arthur is in China) and maybe the Japanese army will soon land and take over Joseon in Mr Sunshine...

in this situation, the Japanese parade can be held in Hanseong and hence so many their flags (preview: they both run away from someone holding hands, dressed in western clothes and in the background there is a familiar building from Hanseong, the country has become more dangerous and both are at risk)

two armies in different places and various military tasks - strategically, this is a good move for Japan to win this war. 

• Thanks 1

@rubie IMHO, drastic is more apt than dramatic, specially the U-turn taken by  Ae Shin with regards to her relationship with Eugene. I have rewatched E15, E16 and E20 and Ae Shin's complete ghosting of Eugene for 6 months appears ludicrous and way out of left field on second viewing.

AS in E15 to GSH: I cannot marry HS. I have let another man into my heart.

AS in E16 to GSH: I will not marry anyone. I will walk alongside this man for the rest of my life.

AS in E16 to GSH: All I want is to give him my heart to the end of my life.

AS in E16 to GSH: I want him to live. I want both of us to live.

AS in E16 to HS: I am risking my everything for him. There's  no going back.

AS in E12 to SG: I can now never go back to the time I hadn't met him.

AS in E15 to EC : You're with me. Take my hand.

AS to Ms Haman: I want this red pinwheel to be a secret symbol. So that he may not worry when I am off on my missions.

How can the show expect me to believe that Ae Shin has completely removed EC from her heart? That she wants him to forget about her? That she no longer wants to walk beside him? That she wants to part ways? Am I to believe that just because her family got destroyed, all love and feelings for EC left her heart? Even EC lost his second father, his only family, so to speak? Did he close himself off from her?  Also, Joseon was always headed towards more and more danger, come what may - so how can the excuse of Joseon being in more danger now be used by Ae Shin to justify her ghosting of EC?

Yes, she is basically a fugitive now. A guerrilla fighter, even and I wholeheartedly welcome that aspect about her. Even Eugene is okay with that - " Go where you have to go, do what you have to do. But let me be there for you, let me walk beside you" so why does she feel that her love and her fight for Joseon are exclusionary in nature (AS to EC in E20: '' now there's no place for false hope and love in my heart") Why does adopting one has to cancel the other?  One can argue that she is doing this for safety but it is not like she has completely disappeared from Joseon - she can still walk about in her suit dressed as a man (she met Eugene in daylight hours), she can still sneak into Glory Hotel (to steal the music box), the very place that Takashi is staying at - in other words, the most dangerous place for her, she can even be at the pharmacy by using it as her base, she even attends RA meetings led by the Potter in the foreigners graveyard right there in Hanseong and when it comes to her Japan mission, she even shows up in Eugene's room - easy peasy.

So why ghost him? Why ignore his feelings? Her own feelings? The very least she could have done was a letter or two every month in the chameleon plant box to let him know about how she was doing - even more lesser than the least would be a passing of a verbal message through the baker or even through Su Mi, the girl working at Glory Hotel. But, nothing of any sort happened. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Does she feel guilty to be in love after what happened to her family? Does she have a death wish now? Is that why she doesn't want Eugene to be involved (and when Eugene insists that he will follow wherever she is headed,she says to him  - "but I want you to live") - this line by her is the only sliver of justification that we get in E20 that could possibly explain her actions - that she fully expects to die and doesn't want to drag Eugene down with her - but if that is her justification, then IMO, it is not shown well nor is it articulated well by the show writers. All of this brings me back to one of my previous posts - the show really stumbled by not showing her POV, her inner thoughts during her absence. Not doing this, left many viewers with whiplash about her 180o turn.

Thoughts?

• Like 3

Mrsunshinenetflix echoing fans frustrations? Or is that a hint?

Kim Eun Seok, how could you cast Lee Byung Hun as the lead in your love story but not write a kiss scene for him? :D Since you are paying top dollars for him, you should not shortchanged yourself and fans by not having him do a kiss scene. :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

@marfisa

Possibly PTSD but like @mistergenie said they should shown it better. 
The symptoms are similar but also discrepant. She has her own version of PTSD because she should not avoid people who can help her like Eugene (according to the script, he is untouchable and only gets into trouble through his own actions). Instead of healing, she only worsened her condition. 

• Like 2

Hi Soompiers!  Now that I've somewhat cooled down after having watched the last 2 episodes (not entirely, but I'm not at the point where I'm about to post another radical reaction GIF :D), I have a few more thoughts on the overall progression, most of which are  (redundant) summation and/or additions of what I've mentioned in my previous posts.

Standard disclaimer:

1. Apologies in advance for the long post AND multiple quotes. 

2. Please let me know if I've missed any significant plot point and/or characterization.

10 hours ago, aurelionsol said:

Aeshin: There is always a way. 

She somehow treats it selectively. ...

Street: 

Aeshin disappears for 2 months after destroying her family. Eugene thoughts what hunter Hong said him in his room. 

Hong: She says you are further away than the sea. She insists on making her way to you. If she must go through wherever that may be, I hope you will be there for her. 

Aeshin show up after his request and they have arguing. She wants part ways and her companions are waiting for her. He's putting a firm attitude and asking her what about him? His desires dont matter to her? He says he will wait for her, which he does for the next six months. 

They meet after six months. She knows that he is leaving thanks to her master. I think he did him a favor and put her in a situation where she must make a choice. ...

AeShin must be aware that he was waiting for her. I'm curious if she keep her promise after completing the mission and go with him to US.  It seems that she missed him because she has tears in her eyes and noticed he doesn't look happy seeing her. Another thing to think about it and make a decision - fighter or love.

3 hours ago, mistergenie said:

@rubie IMHO, drastic is more apt than dramatic, specially the U-turn taken by  Ae Shin with regards to her relationship with Eugene. I have rewatched E15, E16 and E20 and Ae Shin's complete ghosting of Eugene for 6 months appears ludicrous and way out of left field on second viewing...

How can the show expect me to believe that Ae Shin has completely removed EC from her heart? That she wants him to forget about her? That she no longer wants to walk beside him? That she wants to part ways? Am I to believe that just because her family got destroyed, all love and feelings for EC left her heart? Even EC lost his second father, his only family, so to speak? Did he close himself off from her?  Also, Joseon was always headed towards more and more danger, come what may - so how can the excuse of Joseon being in more danger now be used by Ae Shin to justify her ghosting of EC?...

So why ghost him? Why ignore his feelings? Her own feelings?...

Does she feel guilty to be in love after what happened to her family? Does she have a death wish now? Is that why she doesn't want Eugene to be involved (and when Eugene insists that he will follow wherever she is headed,she says to him  - "but I want you to live") - this line by her is the only sliver of justification that we get in E20 that could possibly explain her actions - that she fully expects to die and doesn't want to drag Eugene down with her - but if that is her justification, then IMO, it is not shown well nor is it articulated well by the show writers. All of this brings me back to one of my previous posts - the show really stumbled by not showing her POV, her inner thoughts during her absence. Not doing this, left many viewers with whiplash about her 180o turn.

Thoughts?

Hi @aurelionsol and  @mistergenie.  Btw, I apologize for cutting/modified parts of your post by replacing some of your passages with ...

After rewatching Ep. 20 and rereading recaps of all the past episodes (mainly Ep. 20, but still...), I'm still rather as perplexed as both of you over how KES apparently "ghosted" AS' POV for the past 6 months, particularly regarding EC.  Still, l'm giving KES a benefit of a doubt regarding how the final scene of Ep. 20 will continue during the first few or so minutes of Ep. 21, as well as the rest of the series; for that recent confrontation between AS and EC cannot just end with EC accusing AS of blurting "I'll go to America with you" without conviction and thus dragging him down for her cause in Joseon independence through lies/pretense/deception.  That is not the sentiment or (mis)understanding that should be conveyed between the two characters who've developed a meaningful, mutual communication and connection throughout this drama, especially now that Japan is getting closer to conquering Joseon Korea and the rest of the Joseon people, including the Joseon king/emperor and the RA, are more-or-less turning on each other and thus not able to trust anyone.

Sure, AS probably feels more unsettled about her own personal future, safety, and/or happiness ever since she (and her family) now lost her life and security as a Joseon noblewoman right after her grandfather's/Lord Go's death.  Perhaps, also, she's afraid of losing more of her loved ones in her fight for Joseon independence, especially someone like EC who, up until he met her (and DM, HS, Gunner Jang, etc.), questioned his ties with Joseon Korea both as a U.S. soldier and a former Joseon slave who lost his parents to an unforgiving Joseon class discrimination.

On one hand, I am actually relieved and pleased that AS evolved past her initial naive, romanticized notion of Joseon independence and is now coming to terms with the brutal, harsh realities of the everyday Joseon affairs, the actions/decisions of the RA (not so sure about Joseon politics), and the impending Japanese annexation of Joseon Korea.  While I'd prefer that AS' sobering realization and impulsive actions as a Joseon fighter wasn't exacerbated by her grandfather's/Lord Go's death and the late WI's actions against her family (i.e., shooting down AS' grandfather's/Lord Go's funeral procession), at least AS became more aware of her overall lot in life as a fugitive guerrilla fighter even though she insisted on carrying on with her fight in Joseon rather than escape with her family to Manchuria.

On the other hand, I am disheartened that AS would consider leading EC on with false promises of leaving with him to the U.S. while actually using him to sneak into Japan.  What ever happened to the forthright AS who earnestly declared her feelings and beliefs (albeit naive and romanticized, at first) about what (i.e., Joseon independence) and who (i.e., EC) meant greatly to her while impulsively defending those that/who mattered to her?  Unless I'm mistaken, that's the AS whom EC (and, to a lesser extent, DM and HS) cared for and respected so much that he would listen to and then consider whatever she said and/or did while honestly telling her what he believes needs to be addressed on his end (i.e., his past background as a Joseon slave and his skepticism towards AS' fight for Joseon that more-or-less disregards the slave and butcher class).

Whenever AS and EC directly addressed to each other whatever's going on in their own mind, heart, and conscience (however misguided, jaded, or shortsighted their thoughts or feelings might seem to the other), they would learn from the other how to:

1. Reconsider that prior notions (i.e., AS' initial cause for Joseon independence and EC' past misgivings toward Joseon), 

2. Contemplate (and sometimes act on) alternatives for their current and future prospects in or outside Joseon, and

3. Most importantly, trust and confide in each other.

As I stated in my last post, AS and EC should discuss with each other whatever's been going on with them during the last six months or so, as well as their perspectives on their current and future circumstances in (and outside) Joseon.  Even if it's not something they would agree on right away or in the long run (i.e., based on my limited understanding of an otherwise misleading Ep. 21 preview, AS probably told EC to flee to the U.S. while she remains in Joseon despite EC's insistence on staying by her side to protect her and/or join her cause), they owe it both to themselves and to each other the honest truth about their own perspectives.  Odds are, one or both may postulate another rhetorical question (like EC's earlier question to AS regarding the fate of the disadvantaged people in the Joseon AS's fighting for), thus enlightening them to consider all other options for their individual and/or mutual future and safety that they otherwise couldn't have thought of due to the constant turmoil over the Korea/Japan conflict and the impending departure of the U.S. from Korea.  Furthermore, neither AS nor EC (or any other character, for that matter) should ever have to bear the individual burdens alone, especially if they still have each other to turn to for confiding and support.

Now, I am aware that we Soompiers have different thoughts regarding the fates of all the major characters, especially AS and EC.  Some want AS to escape Joseon with EC (if, hopefully, he survives) and continue her fight for Joseon independence in other countries like China or the U.S.    Some want EC to stay by AS' side in her (and ultimately their) fight for Joseon Independence, whether it's in Korea or in other countries like China.  Some would prefer that AS, if forced to choose between her love for EC or her fight for Joseon independence, eventually renounce her long-ingrained but virtually losing battle, consider first and foremost her safety, future, and happiness (with EC, if he survives), and escape from Joseon altogether.  Some want AS to stick with her beliefs and cause with or without EC.  And I'm sure there are more POVs about the fates of AS, EC, and other characters that I did not include here.

As for me, I want any potential hostility and/or separation due to misunderstanding between AS and EC in recent events to cease and desist, given that there are only 4 episodes left to conclude the story arcs/growth of at least 5 major characters in a tumultuous Joseon period before the official Japanese annexation of Korea.  I want AS and EC to be honest to both themselves and to each other regarding their own insight on their overall current plight in Joseon, their future prospects in or outside Joseon, and their awareness of potential short-term and/or long-term consequences of their decisions and actions regarding all this matter.  Last but not least, I want AS and EC to listen to and then contemplate the other's insight on all these issues without rushing him/her to respond immediately.  Only then, they could move forward with respecting and/or challenging the other's POV and choosing their own and/or mutual road of destiny.  As much as I'd want a happy ending for AS and EC (and other characters who deserve a happy ending), for their sake in such an unforgiving, tragic historical time period in Joseon, I'll be happy if AS and EC can still remain forthright, mindful, and trustful with each other no matter what path they take.

• Like 3

@ Rubie

I like your assessment of their relationship. I think i understand why AS 'dumps' EC after all of the love talk to this point. DM was right in some respects that she is a spoiled noble with no clue. AS could never have imagined that her family would be the target of the Japanese. She was naive that the fight was for a broader Joseon but when it hit so close to home, literally, her world was distroyed. When the fight came to her door and her family viciously attacked specifically to capture HER, she finally grew up. She knew that if she went to EC he would follow her and it would put him in danger. She is protecting him. When she did visit  to EC he didnt have previous information about her and therefor he was safer in her eyes.

Also, it gave me chills when Takeshi added EC to the RA/hit list! Maybe AS has a point about staying clear of EC.

As for others stating that we dont get AS's  POV, I think that will come in the next episodes just as we were given glimpses of the trip to the beach over several episodes. I think the next one or two will be more AS focused and hopefully we see what she's been up to these past six months! 

• Like 1

@mistergenie @KDramaLogic @marfisa @linygirl1  

If I haven't mentioned someone, excuse me...

Lads: Sir, we saw Lee Wan Ik's obituary. It made us realise that LVI's isn't only enemy of Joseon in its present situation. Please accept us back, sir. We wish to plan a greater revenge for Joseon.  

Eugene: Is everyone, including you lads, moving on to a greater world after the collapse of a smaller one? (he looks to the side and I have the impression that he is thinking about Aeshin)

Lads: Please accept us back

Eugene: All right, then.

Do you remember the picture where one of them is in Japanese uniform? I have the impression that he is one of those who survived the massacre of cadets in the academy when Aeshin want entry on the train (we see only her in white western dress and maybe Eugene is close?) ... they will blow up a weapons warehouse or kill many Japanese soldiers? Long planned action in the act of revenge even though they give the impression that they went to the enemy side.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, marfisa said:

@aurelionsol @mistergenie I am under the impression that is a precise choice of the writer not to show what happened to AeShin during those months. It adds pain, as if we haven’t had enough watching Eugene’s despair. The writer wants us to feel like Eugene...

I understand, but then again, focusing on the situation only through Eugene's despair is a great disservice to Ae Shin's character. We want to see what Ae Shin is feeling too because she is equally important in this story. Leaving her feelings/emotions out of this situation somehow makes it incomplete/flawed.

• Like 2