[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

3 minutes ago, marfisa said:

AeShin will use Eugene for her cause.

seems so ...we need subtitles...i feel she is heartbroken that she needs to use EC the one she loves...i wonder why they will be together in a train ...i noticed her modern clothes...

6 hours ago, lilyphenix said:

but I also deeply appreciate the writer and director for reminding us of the nasty reality of wars, and of what the Japanese soldiers did in particular. I couldn't help but reflect on the cruelty people are capable of toward others, when countries are at war... I do not wish anyone to go through that..

Thank you for pointing this out, I woke up this morning feeling grateful that I live in a country where there is no war but I also reflected on the countries that are currently suffering. 

I also liked how you pointed out AS' cousin! She gained my respect when she refused her husband. Speaking of gaining respect: I also found a new respect for one of the young noblemen following LWI around. I doubted him seeing as how easily scared he would get for thejr cause but in the end, he really proved his loyalty to his friends and to their cause. 

Will be back later to post thoughts on Ep 20! 

• Like 8

Hi Soompiers!  I've yet to watch the unsubbed Ep. 20 without risking any signs of hyperventilation upon reading the reactions to today's episode here and the recap on Dramamilk:

https://www.dramamilk.com/mr-sunshine-kdrama-recap-episode-20/

Standard disclaimer:

1. Apologies in advance for the long post AND multiple quotes. 

2. Please let me know if I've missed any significant plot point and/or characterization.

1 hour ago, marfisa said:

I am not pleased with what the end seems to lead to... AeShin will use Eugene for her cause. Not nice. 

Based on your response and the recap from Dramamilk, my immediate reaction to this is:

Spoiler

Image result for say what gif

Btw, not at you, but perhaps at KES...:rage:  Although, fellow Soompiers, please let me know if I should edit this post and remove that reaction above for being offensive unrelated to the Mr. Sunshine thread; it's just that I'm really upset and frustrated at this turn of events at the end.

Look, I get that:

1. AS and her loved ones were provoked by all those sudden, life-and-death uproar (AS' grandfather's death, the shooting at AS' grandfather's funeral procession, etc.) mostly at the hands of WI in the recent episodes, and I'm glad that AS finally got her chance to finish him off.

2. AS has thought about and more-or-less trained for her fight for Joseon independence way long before encountering EC (and HS, DM, and HN). So, it won't be easy for AS to reevaluate, let alone change or even let go of, her initial cause for Joseon independence.

3. AS tends to act impulsively and radically whenever it concerns people (i.e., EC) and issues (i.e., Joseon independence) that matter dearly and greatly to her.  Though, in AS' defense, both WI's recent senseless actions against the Go household and the looming Japanese conquering of Joseon Korea exacerbated AS' impulsive actions/nature as a Joseon fighter and left her little or no significant time to fully consider the long-term consequences of her actions (and that of everyone else), let alone all her options for her safety and future (and that of her loved ones and everyone else in Joseon) . 

4. EC will do anything and everything to protect and/or stay with her, be it he starts letting go of his past trauma/misgivings as a former Joseon slave, training the RA or Joseon royal army(?), and even contemplating AS' grandfather's (cruel and futile) request in killing of Japanese soldier Takeshi Mori as a U.S. soldier, not a Joseon person.

But did AS really have to impose EC with the possibility of using him for her cause in fighting for Joseon independence assuming that EC would simply follow through without question and NOT inquiring about EC's compromised position as both a U.S. soldier and a Joseon person in the midst of the Japanese annexation of Korea, especially once/if the U.S. decides to step back from all this Korea/Japan conflict and leave Korea?  Mind you, I would NOT have to emphasize this matter if AS did ask EC about his thoughts regarding overall stance in Joseon, and that EC, after considerable deliberation, declares that none of his safety/immunity as a U.S. soldier/citizen matters to him more than being with and supporting AS in her fight for her safety, future, happiness, and fight for Joseon independence.

See, one reason I ultimately rooted for AS/EC (not initially due to AS' earlier romanticizing of EC's status as a U.S. soldier and life in the U.S. while not knowing about EC's dire past as a former Joseon slave) was because both AS and EC communicated to each other their own background, sentiments, and concerns for the other without (more-or-less) trying not to hold back any crucial info pertaining to their overall positions in Joseon.  EC has helped enlighten AS' evolved stance regarding what and who her Joseon will fight for, whileAS' unwavering care and fight for her relationship with EC has helped EC start reconciling with his past trauma and moving forward in fighting for AS and the rest of the Joseon people.  I want to see more of that communication and understanding between AS and EC in the last 4 episodes, as well as their consideration of their own individual and mutual safety and future, before or once the Japanese takes over Korea.

• Like 6

@KDramaLogic no worries about the reaction GIF, we needed that too.. particularly at the drama's 180 degree change from fiery hot to icy cold after effect. Like other discussion blogs or forums.. we all get frustrated and pissed as well. Not to say that we're too proper (to be angry, etc) .. nope nope.. just that swear words and expletives get censored automatically into something silly instead. So, keep on posting as you like and no need to apologize or anything like that.. we're quite normal people and usually don't bite. :P Anyway.. I am not making sense here because all my senses obviously have been destroyed by MR.SUNSHINE. :crazy: Ae Shin and Eugene are getting back together (for whatever reason in the preview) but they are not happy.. not one bit of smile in the clips. Of course, the previews have been notoriously misleading.. however, this weekend's episodes did not bring any sunshine either. It's all gloomy and grim back to back. :tears:

What am I supposed to write.. oh, I haven't seen ep 20. Even ep 19 is still bits and pieces, the ending was too much to bear. But did Gunner Jang change his opinion about the Emperor? LWI is dead and he was the one badmouthing the Emperor, has SG softens his stance against the King?

A bittersweet fact to note is that Eugene's most cherished friend (apart from AS, ES, Kyle and Joseph) is actually Jang Seung Gu. Perhaps because they resemble each other the most and their first conversation was at the mountain grave site. SG was the first person to realize EC's background if I remember correctly. Over time, seeing how Ae Shin turned out as a good sniper, Eugene appreciates what SG did for her, training and guiding her along the way. A good mentor, indeed and their (EC-SG) banter have been genuinely heart-warming plus the solid cooperation during the revenge plan on LSH. So, it is most fitting and understandable that EC would be so affected of what happened to SG's beloved comrade. Their understanding came together very well presented.. very sad very heartfelt.

Source: OSEN

20180909_1a.jpg

20180909_1b.jpg

Spoiler

20180909_1c.jpg

• Like 6

E20 is like getting cold water poured ... not on you but on your emotions and then shrouding those emotions in a thick cloud of gloom and sadness. Have much to say about the direction of certain story lines but my thoughts are still jumbled so I will leave that for tomorrow.

Great points from @KDramaLogic and @rubie . Thanks . :)

• Like 5

Hands down best drama ever!

EC and AS kinda hit some stumble block here, but they also kinda evolved in next EP. THey will be spy couple, and im eager to see how that pan out.  Like mr and mrs smith, but asia version. 

Gosh, im so glad the writer didn't go for some cliche plotline.......mr sunshine just never cease to surprise.

• Like 9

I haven't been able to watch episode 20 without pausing multiple times: It's too much at once... Does anyone think the show will skip years/decades and take us to when Joseon reclaims its territory? I'm aware I'm asking the impossible here, but seeing all that abuse is so hard to take. I know it's just a TV show, but it's rooted in history. So it hurts. (Or maybe I'm too sensitive.)

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

I remember back in my college days with my siblings one of my sister would go in the streets to rally and my mom would be so worried because they are abducting and torturing students and label them as one of the rebellious group in the mountains...Watching Ae Sin holding a gun, my sister's words back then keep ringing in my ears, "You don't understand what revolution means..." I think it's the exact same scenario in the case of Eugene...In one of Ae Sin's conversation with Hina after her hair was cut she placed her country first in the Hierarchy when she was telling the important things in her life thus the motto, "Country first before anything else..." justified and explains it well.

I have to give the writer and director a big round of applause...the drama not only conveyed the story telling in the dialogues but it was also translated visually...I place this drama personally as a contender with NiF franchise...

The heroes and heroines in this drama are often talking about sad ending BUT I am betting my two cents that there is always sunshine after the rain.

Historically South Korea and USA are very close allies...they even called it, "The relationship forged in blood..."  I think this line says it all for the upcoming and final episodes...

• Like 12

6 hours ago, KDramaLogic said:

But did AS really have to impose EC with the possibility of using him for her cause in fighting for Joseon independence assuming that EC would simply follow through without question and NOT inquiring about EC's compromised position as both a U.S. soldier and a Joseon person in the midst of the Japanese annexation of Korea, especially once/if the U.S. decides to step back from all this Korea/Japan conflict and leave Korea?  Mind you, I would NOT have to emphasize this matter if AS did ask EC about his thoughts regarding overall stance in Joseon, and that EC, after considerable deliberation, declares that none of his safety/immunity as a U.S. soldier/citizen matters to him more than being with and supporting AS in her fight for her safety, future, happiness, and fight for Joseon independence.

It would have been very disappointing if AS had such a discussion with Eugene. AS and Eugene have reached a level of intimacy where this kind of discussion is not necessary. Did he not say to her that he will follow her? What would be the purpose of a discussion about Eugene's feelings for Joseon? Half of the show was already focused on this aspect, and I think it was made clear that he reached kind of a peace with Joseon: he is reluctantly helping them. and he agrees to get more and more involved if it is about the safety of AS and the potter. and this was even before the things turned so wrong as in the last episodes.

Yesterday many people accused Lord Go of being cruel because he showed the right path to Eugene: kill the Japanese colonel. The old man entrusted him with a dangerous mission: for a father that lost two sons in the fight for freedom, what he begs Eugene to do was not cruel. Is a doctor who cause you suffering, while trying to make you healthy cruel? 

Now you are thinking that it is not only cruel but also futile. Futile how? The colonel is a danger for so many, he is unnecessarily cruel...and that's when the term 'cruel' is used correctly. Why is it futile to get rid of a war criminal?

As @ces8 rightly remarked it is difficult to understand what it means to be in a revolution. In my view, in the last episodes, Eugene got further and further away from AS. If he does not get more involved, his chances of ending up with AS will become smaller and smaller. He will become a futile character because the real fight has started and he is not in the middle of it.

So instead of being unhappy about the fact he has dangerous things to do, we should be happy when he gets something to do.

People who want a strong female character should also rejoice. It is good that AS did not lose track of her priorities.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ces8 said:

I remember back in my college days with my siblings one of my sister would go in the streets to rally and my mom would be so worried because they are abducting and torturing students and label them as one of the rebellious group in the mountains...Watching Ae Sin holding a gun, my sister's words back then keep ringing in my ears, "You don't understand what revolution means..." I think it's the exact same scenario in the case of Eugene...In one of Ae Sin's conversation with Hina after her hair was cut she placed her country first in the Hierarchy when she was telling the important things in her life thus the motto, "Country first before anything else..." justified and explains it well.

I have to give the writer and director a big round of applause...the drama not only conveyed the story telling in the dialogues but it was also translated visually...I place this drama personally as a contender with NiF franchise...

The heroes and heroines in this drama are often talking about sad ending BUT I am betting my two cents that there is always sunshine after the rain.

Historically South Korea and USA are very close allies...they even called it, "The relationship forged in blood..."  I think this line says it all for the upcoming and final episodes...

Aeshin cant lie and hurt Eugene all the time. I think she will go with him to fulfill her promise after what will happen in Japan (he'll probably save her again :/).

She has to pay off the debt and spend the rest of her life with him. If she does not understand it, she is an emotional vampire. She has heard several times that the country is falling down and cant do anything. Taking away a bank certificate from the country should be enough.

If it does not happen, writers could destroy her character. There is a border/limit between when you fight for the homeland (sacrifice) and the promise you make to the person you love (especially when you use this person, this love destroys him, I'm starting to wonder if she loves him the same way)

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, aurelionsol said:

Aeshin cant lie and hurt Eugene all the time. I think she will go with him to fulfill her promise after what will happen in Japan (he'll probably save her again :/).

She has to pay off the debt and spend the rest of her life with him. If she does not understand it, she is an emotional vampire.

If it does not happen, writers could destroy her character. There is a border between when you fight for the homeland (sacrifice) and the promise you make to the person you love (especially when you use this person, this love destroys him, I'm starting to wonder if she loves him the same way)

There is no denying that Ae Sin loves Eugene but this are trying times and war is brewing...It may look that way, that Ae Sin was going to use Eugene to pull the impossible mission but (from what I understood...personal Interpretation so I may be wrong) the day when Eugene's life was spared and accepted to be an instructor in the military academy...Ae Sin and Eugene are already comrades (secret ally)...the scene with Go Sang Hong and GDM is also a testament when the grandfather explains why Eugene has to be the one to kill Mori. Furthermore the scene in the bridge when Eugene told Mori that he just made up his mind and will kill him. So I think Ae Sin went to Eugene as a comrade seeking for aid...well Eugene's response is of personal and as a lover...I cannot blame him...their love story is really complicated blossomed in a world of chaos but I remember that Ae Sin mentioned that if love is just limited to one then no different love stories can be ever told. (something along those lines)

• Like 6

I'm watching E19 :D

Series high. Congrats Mr. Sunshine.

AGB Nielsen Ratings:

Episode 1   7/7/18       8.852%

Episode 2   7/8/18       9.691%

Episode 3   7/14/18    10.082%

Episode 4   7/15/18    10.567%

Episode 5   7/21/18    10.835%

Episode 6   7/22/18     11.713%

Episode 7  7/28/18      11.114%

Episode 8  7/29/18      12.330%