[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

My thoughts on episode 18. Apologize for another senseless long posts.

-  Confrontation between Takashi and Eugene in Go house was full of tension. The line from Takashi almost boiled my blood. (Kudos to the actor of Takashi.) Before, even LWI seems to be someone Eugene can easily dispatch if needed. But with Takashi, Eugene seems to be at disadvantage. That makes all scenes in episode 18 between Takashi and Eugene full of tension. And I love it.  :sweatingbullets:

In episode 1, I thought they're friends, but doesn't look like it's true here. Takashi seems to be very aware of his high status, and look down on lowborn people. As an american, Eugene could be his equal, but as a Joseon person? 

- DM lives! Very clever to remember Hina's word about Dr Matsuyama's royalty but pulling bullets without anesthetic, urgh. You're the man, DM. But medically that scene baffled me. I thought DM coughed up blood meaning internal damage? The bullet was stuck right there on skin. 

- Hina! I started to have a crush on her. So cool and willy. When none of the DM's men thought about this, Hina figured out Dr's thoughts and fixed it right away. And Haedrio(former slave hunter's agency) apparently did a great job of forging autopsy report. I want to formally request to fix Joseon's fate to that agency.

- Scene in US legation, Haman is so cute! I would like to note that I think netflix subtitle here is a bit weak. They started to talk about Stella, but during it changed about why Eugene brought AS to US legation. AS already understands, that it's for her protection. I also loved small light hearted scene of Aeshin's practice book full of Eugene's name! Eugene was so happy. 

- Talk between HS and EC at the gate of Glory hotel. Such maturity, and respect between them. On EC's confession to protect AS by not giving up anything......By deciding to protect Aeshin by whatever means necessary, Eugene's protecting Joseon.

- I loved grandpa Go. Symbolic statement from grandpa Go.

"You are making a shadow. Japanese should get out of the way between Joseon's King and me"

And this made me so sad. The old principle, old system of Joseon is going away. And grandpa Go told Aeshin 10  years ago that Joseon was falling apart.

- So the first article from HS is about scholar's protest about use of Japan currency in Joseon. Grandpa Go's arrest and the news of it galvanized people to go against the use of japanese currency.

- All scenes in Aeshin and Eugene were sweet and tender. Letting her have the seat first, then kneeling in front of her holding her eyes... i knew it's not the time for ring, but i half expected it. He's too sweet for my health. And persuading her to keep calm and wait , instead of rushing out to do something. Very mature relationship going on here.

- Takashi's interrogation of Stellar(teacher) I laughed about Eugene's remark "You can't go heaven any more" Son of missionary, this Eugene. Again request for get-together and Eugene  denying it. There is something Takashi wants from Eugene, but I can't say for sure what. Trying to control him?

- those 4 yangban lads are just.... causes for trouble. they're there to steal rifles to do something... probably trying to assassinate WI, but more than likely fail and add on burdens to Eugene's shoulder. Eugene picked up on their plan a bit so hopefully Eugene will set them straight. 

- HS's newspaper sign(a blank panel with flowers). HS said he adapted a poem written by a poet from the Song dynasty in China. The only flower left in his chosen path. 

- Meeting between 2 villains! WI is rattled. Takashi started as formal style of korean but turned to informal in the middle. The contempt he feels from WI was so apparent.

So, now grandpa Go is the symbol of Joseon's spirit. Which WI plan to kill to make himself firmly as top of the evil in Joseon. 

- King is a decent person but just so powerless.

- There's no way for Takashi to avoid coffee PPL either! Power of capitalism. 

- Takashi is very busy in episode 18. And he doesn't like to lose in any situation. Hina's white powder must be the poison. Will she use it to Takashi?

- Scene near hunter Jang's hut. Incorrect subtitle in netflix, those are korean police, not japanese police(and that's what Haman said, (korean)police).

I love interaction between WI and Aeshin. She started to avert eyes and her body the moment she realized it's WI. Being totally traditional to cover her hostility. For her brother-in-law Lee Dukmoon, his gesture to hit AS, he's a scum and I want there'll be retribution for him in the future for his treatment of Go family women.(and also being a traitor, of course)

WI had Takashi's word on mind and decided to check records of 30 years ago from Japan. Fortunately DM has controls over post office head and police head to intercept it.

- I love HS and Takashi's meeting. So funny and cute. I want to have personal HS in my pocket. And again Takashi's so busy!!! to no avail here, thanks to HS. HS obviously doesn't want to be friends with Takashi, notice that he's not clinking glasses this time.

- Another scene with military school. Eugene's laughing about exposing himself as lowborn here. The irony! If those 4 had left the school that's problem solved right there. 

- Eugene and Takashi talking, verbally threatening each other. I wanted to note that, NY apartment obviously had thin wall, no better than Glory hotel. Now that Takashi knew connection between Aeshin and Eugene, what'll be Eugene's next step?

- Last scene of DM cutting Aeshin's hair. DM loses his cool whenever Aeshin's concerned, Hina already told him that. To believe that Aeshin will stay inside just because of the hair. She may stay inside the house during day, but what stops her from going under man's clothing at night or day? 

I was hoping that this is semi private place, but it's public. I noticed japanese attired woman in the background. So...this is just senseless.

Preview for episode 19.(subtitle from Netflix)

(scene: WI on the ground pinned by the end of stick. * I think that's hunter Jang from the shadow and there is burn scar on his hand)

WI: I'm going to kill you myself, you just wait.

(Crossing a map  with red line. 

(scene: WI indicating attack on horse with his stick. Group of joseon people attacking another group of people, look like from funeral. Possibly, funeral of grandpa Go? Sorry grandpa Go for killing you again and again)

(scene: face of WI, smiling)

AS: If I ever catch a glimpse of you again, I'll kill you myself.

(scene: Takashi and his undering sitting on rocks. Takashi aiming and firing his handgun.)

(scene: AS with her hair tied with white hairband. You can see some short hair on her face, due to DM's unlicensed hair cut.)

Grandpa Go: (to Eugene and? DM?) Please protect Aeshin.

(scene: DM in similar room or different room? connecting to the scene where DM turning over Takashi by his hand holding pistol)

Grandopa GO; A man who will provide protection by any means necessary.

(scene: Eugene searching thru somebody's room, probably Takashi's room? We can see music box on top of the drawers Eugene's searching)

Grandpa Go: And a man who will not allow any mistakes along the way.

(scene: people looking at hanged(?) woman. Eugene and Kyle on horse rushing to the scene? Eugene looking up at Takashi?)

Takashi: You've been making a stand where you shouldn't be.

(scene: Takashi looking down sort of dismayed and half grinning.)

(scene: Eugene holding a gun to a person)

Eugene: Because I'm going to kill you.

(scene: Hina crying with unlit cigarette)

Grandpa Go: Live.

(scene: HS looking up with sad eyes, blood spattered his face and neck.)

Grandpa Go: You must live, Aeshin.

(scene: Aeshin aiming her rifle on the roof, in man's disguise.)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I like Hui Seong’s character development the most. In ending his engagement, he can move on to a new phase in his life which is to run his newspaper. And it is not just about protecting Ae Shin although she might have inspired him to do something for Joseon. He did it for himself so that he is doing something worthwhile with his life.

This leads me to Eugene. I am captivated by the beautiful relationship between Eugene and Ae Shin and how they are able to cross barriers and boundaries of their different worlds with differences in culture and languages in those days to have a meeting of minds and hearts. I like how far Eugene had come from his original intent to seek revenge for his parents when he first landed in Joseon to his decision to have closure and not to take revenge on Hui Seong and his parents.

For the next stage, I like to see him resolve the duality of straddling 2 countries and determine where his home and country should lie whether in America or Joseon and firmly stand on the side of his choice. I would like to see him be more of an idealist and less of a realist. To date, his thoughts are practical, cold and calculated like how he is using the power and might of America to protect Ae Shin. I believe that Eugene can do more than just protecting Ae Shin. Perhaps he could become more involved with the cadets and their fight against the Japanese with the RA.

Lastly, Dong Mae, the most controversial character in this drama. I could not root for him  due to his choice to live a life of violence. His other actions are also hard to fathom like how he is obsessed with Ae Shin although she barely as much as glance at him. He lives with a girl but we also cannot fathom what his relationship is with her. When he released the RA guy and when he helped Ae Shin’s Grandfather, I thought perhaps that will be the start of a change in him especially after his arrest and after being shot where he managed to survive only because Eugene and Hui Seong helped him.

And then he went to do such a cruel thing by cutting off Ae Shin’s hair in public. It is not acceptable even if he did it to protect her ( so many theories ranging from cutting off her ties with her family who is now in danger, cutting her off from RA and grounding her and making her stay at home etc etc ). The only acceptable reason that I can think of is if Ae Shin’s Grandfather asked him to do it (to cut off her ties to the family). Or if it is part of a plot with RA to spy for RA by working for Colonel Mori or with Lee Wan Ik. In the latter case of spying for the RA, Ae Shin would understand as it is for a bigger cause and she is even prepared to give up her life for the bigger cause.

I would like to see Dong Mae end his obsession with Ae Shin and be free to move on to do something for himself and his life, just like how it was with Hui Seong. It would be a good development for me if he joins RA because he wants to do something for Joseon instead of just to protect Ae Shin. A man’s life cannot be all about just protecting a woman or obsessing over her and the drama cannot be just about 3 men protecting a woman, as much as I love Ae Shin.

As there are only 6 episodes left, I am beginning to think the drama would be more about how various people come to join the RA but we probably would not see any battles being fought due to the timeline being from 1900 to 1905. 

• Like 11

@mistymorning

Seems like Dong Mae is in a different room - his dojo where he flips over Takashi.  BUT, the promo is cleverly cut - using a yellow flame on the right of the screen in each scene showing Grandpa Go, Eugene and DM to make it seem like they're in the same room. It could end up being the same room where Grandpa Go talks to them or it could very well be not.

Grandpa Go: (to Eugene and? DM?) Please protect Aeshin. 

Grandopa GO; A man who will provide protection by any means necessary. 

Grandpa Go: And a man who will not allow any mistakes along the way.

I am intrigued by Grandpa Go's words - whom are they directed at? Only Eugene? Or Eugene and Dong Mae? The point where he says a man who protects in any way and a man who doesn't allow mistakes - the use of the 'and' seems like he is talking about two different men, right? Or maybe he is not actually talking to them but musing out loud about them - although I don't see any scenario where Grandpa Go can even be charitable to DM after what he did to AE shin at the end of E18.

@charray

As there are only 6 episodes left, I am beginning to think the drama would be more about how various people come to join the RA but we probably would not see any battles being fought due to the timeline being from 1900 to 1905. 

I say this very politely but I don't get the insistence of some of the fans for more RA and RA related activities to take center stage. The root of this story is a romance between a lowborn foreigner and an aristocrat lady. The RA, Japan's slow annexation of Joseon etc are just providing the backdrop/setting for this romance. In other words, the RA and its activities etc are secondary to the plot.

like to see him resolve the duality of straddling 2 countries and determine where his home and country should lie whether in America or Joseon and firmly stand on the side of his choice

In Eugene's own words from E18, the best thing for him is to be a loyal American soldier, through and through. Given the volatile times that Joseon is headed towards, there is no benefit to Eugene in committing himself to being a Joseon man now - it only places him at a disadvantage. The Americans may never fully accept him but Eugene can use his identity as an American citizen both to his benefit and the benefit of Ae Shin, should, nay, when the need arises. He is far better better placed to affect outcomes as an American than as a Joseonite.

The only acceptable reason that I can think of is if Ae Shin’s Grandfather asked him to do it (to cut off her ties to the family).

Why would Grandpa Go willingly deprive Ae Shin of the protection/safety/security that comes from being a member of a noble family. But I do admit that It is a possibility.

Or if it is part of a plot with RA to spy for RA by working for Colonel Mori or with Lee Wan Ik. In the latter case of spying for the RA, Ae Shin would understand as it is for a bigger cause and she is even prepared to give up her life for the bigger cause.

Too convoluted. Why would the RA suddenly start trusting Dong Mae and use him to spy on Mori or WI? From what we have been shown,the  Potter is a very very careful and shrewd guy - he has cultivated the RA members over years and years. No way would he risk that by working with someone new like Dong Mae.

Dong Mae end his obsession with Ae Shin and be free to move on to do something for himself and his life

I had been hoping to see this happen gradually but now I feel that this is never going to happen. Him changing now would give me whiplash. My understanding is that the man is beyond repair when it comes to his obsession. It will be the end of him - which if you think about it is downright pathetic.

A man’s life cannot be all about just protecting a woman or obsessing over her and the drama cannot be just about 3 men protecting a woman.

True words spoken. But unfortunately, it seems like the writer doesn't see it this way.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

@charray To me, DM has changed compared to the beginning because now, he is no longer indifferent to what is happening in Joseon. In the beginning, he was only focused on money and revenge. Now, he is the friend of HS and EC. Even if he is still cold and cynical, EC and HS are able to see that he does care. Sure, he is still ruthless but it was for this reason that Japanese trusted him first. To me, he will be the one who will be put in the most dangerous and difficult position, if my theory is correct. On the surface... the enemy of Joseon, while in reality, leaking info to the RA. That's why he said in my opinion, even if the world becomes his enemy... he would do anything for her. At the end, DM will have to die because he will get caught. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

When Kim Eun-sook recently announced her latest project, "Mr. Sunshine", she added that she already had an actor in mind for the lead role. She probably had some inkling at the time that the latest in a long line of enviable leading men would be Lee Byung-hun. Set in the early 1900s.

bluestacks textnow photomath

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@charray To me, DM has changed compared to the beginning because now, he is no longer indifferent to what is happening in Joseon. In the beginning, he was only focused on money and revenge. Now, he is the friend of HS and EC. Even if he is still cold and cynical, EC and HS are able to see that he does care. Sure, he is still ruthless but it was for this reason that Japanese trusted him first. To me, he will be the one who will be put in the most dangerous and difficult position, if my theory is correct. On the surface... the enemy of Joseon, while in reality, leaking info to the RA. That's why he said in my opinion, even if the world becomes his enemy... he would do anything for her. At the end, DM will have to die because he will get caught. 

He will die for DM like stopping a bullet or jumping in front of her something like that..

I love DM the most even though im not watching this drama still know whats going on and plan to watch after its finished.

I would love a video once this drama is over of him and AS i think those scenes have the most tension and impact for me. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, margeritta said:

When Kim Eun-sook recently announced her latest project, "Mr. Sunshine", she added that she already had an actor in mind for the lead role. She probably had some inkling at the time that the latest in a long line of enviable leading men would be Lee Byung-hun. Set in the early 1900s.

Found the article posted on 2017-06-04.

KES "For main lead role in next project, (I am) considering actors between in his 30s or 40s... Needs someone who's good at english"

Moreover, writer Kim said "It is a story about a man who's a US officer came back later to his motherland who had abandoned him.".. "Because of this background, we need someone who's good at English"....

From Writer Kim's agency, VP Baek said "Writer seems to considering either age of 30s or 40s for main lead."...

Last 29th interview with daily sports, writer Kim revealed "I have someone I'm imagining in my mind"... "Main lead role has very strong narrative, he's a character with broad range of emotions, I want to cast someone who's really great in acting."

Then on Jun-24th, 2017, we got official news of casting LBH as main lead role.

• Like 3

It's confirmed. MR.SUNSHINE is bad for health. It increases heart rate, raises blood and sugar levels. It also added much stress on a weekly basis. th_protest.gif

Thank you @mistymorning for episode 18 recap. It's like a soompi drama mini-recap & review, if we had one. Simple and straightforward. Notice that unlike other dramas airing at the same duration, there's no soompi recap or those "Favorite Moments/Why We Like (insert drama)" articles on the main site for MR.SUNSHINE. But I suppose we can guess why. ;)

Clip: Mr.Sunshine Netflix

• Like 7
  • LOL 3

4 hours ago, Susie Derkins said:

I am just gonna leave this tweet here for everyone to scratch their head because I am confused. :crazy:

A man who will protect AeShin by any means. (eugene checked)

A man who will not allow any mistake along the way (eugene checked)

If you check the background, grandpa is obviously talking only to EC. 

A fantastic MV of EuShin just to ease the tense from last episode.

• Like 7

Re: Takashi Mori 

Translation credit: DDOBOJA

September 3, 2018

Actor Kim Nam Hee from 'Mr. Sunshine' to get married this month

Original Source (OSEN via Naver): Kim Nam Hee, strong impression for being 'Mr. Sunshine' villain → getting married on the 29th, 'flower path reserved'

0003856568_001_20180903160031214.jpg?type=w540

1. [+786, -3] Acting genius..... I really thought he was Japanese

2. [+418, -8] When he gives the ring to the ride: "This is yours, right?" (t/n: It's his line from 'Mr. Sunshine' when he shows the music box to Lee Byung Hun LOL)

3. [+224, -3] His awkward Korean speaking acting.... It's mustn't be easy, I'm watching in awe 

4. [+109, -1] He's acting as a Japanese whose acting in the Korean language ㄷㄷㄷ (t/n: Basically, he's a Korean actor who's playing a Japanese character who's pretending to speak Korean awkwardly because of the Japanese role)

5. [+61, -1] I thought he was Japanese...  

0003856568_002_20180903160031311.jpg?type=w540  

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

14 hours ago, Susie Derkins said:
I am just gonna leave this tweet here for everyone to scratch their head because I am confused. :crazy:

lord Go only asking to Eugene. Gu dong mae is at different room. he is with new japanese guy (Kim nam Hee) u can see gu dongmae do the judo to him

Edited by Berou
Please do not quote images. Thanks :)
  • Like 2

September 3, 2018

Yoo Jae Suk And Kim Eun Sook Make Donations To Help Victims Suffering Due To Heavy Rain

Source: Soompi by esspee

Yoo Jae Suk And Kim Eun Sook Make Donations To Help Victims Suffering Due To Heavy Rain

Yoo Jae Suk and writer Kim Eun Sook have given back to the community at a time of need.

According to the Hope Bridge Association of National Disaster Relief on September 3, Yoo Jae Suk donated 50 million won (approximately $45,000) and Kim Eun Sook and the CEO of Hwa & Dam Pictures, the production company for tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine,” each donated 30 million won (approximately $27,000) to help the victims of recent heavy rain.

With their donations, the Hope Bridge Association of National Disaster Relief provided emergency relief supplies to the victims of the heavy rain that lasted from August 28 to 30.

Yoo Jae Suk and Kim Eun Sook have also contributed to important causes in the past through donations. Yoo Jae Suk previously donated 50 million won (approximately $45,000) each to the victims of the Pohang earthquake in July 2017, Yeosu Fish Market fire, Daegu Seomun Market fire in 2016, and to the victims of Typhoon Chaba.

Kim Eun Sook also previously donated 30 million won (approximately $27,000) to the victims of the Pohang earthquake and 20 million won ($18,000) during the Sewol Ferry tragedy.

Source (1)

Top Photo Credit: Xportsnews

• Like 5

@rubie

It is so true that this drama is bad for health, it should come with a label, warning this drama is truly addicting, it can lead to heart palpitation,and shortness of breath (sweet scenes esp with the OTP:wub:), increase of blood pressure(any scene with LWI and T.Mori :angry:), mood swings,  watch it with caution, the production are not responsible for any mishap occured while watching this drama .. :D:D

Any ways it just me or T.Mori has some kind of mancrush with EC, he keep on asking him for a date :P

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

4 minutes ago, elfvanvan said:

@rubie

It is so true that this drama is bad for health, it should come with a label, warning this drama is truly addicting, it can lead to heart palpitation,and shortness of breath (sweet scenes esp with the OTP:wub:), increase of blood pressure(any scene with LWI and T.Mori :angry:), mood swings,  watch it with caution, the production are not responsible for any mishap occured while watching this drama .. :D:D

Any ways it just me or T.Mori has some kind of mancrush with EC, he keep on asking him for a date :P

LoL, I don't know about mancrush, but Mori's accent is providing an abundance of unexpected laughter for me - his and Eugene's going back and forth endlessly between Japanese, English and Korean is hard enough to keep track of, but Mori's heavily accented Korean is so hilarious that it's adding  much needed comic relief (intentionally or not) for Korean viewers such that it makes his scary quiet outbursts bearable - something that's not coming thru in any translations, I suppose. Netflix should add some tag saying this line was spoken in another language, it might help. Between he and Wan-Ik's exchange it was hard to know which loathsome creature I need to hate more - the Ssang-Nom (low-born) Wan-Ik with his utter class-less (as in "he's not a class act", not social class I am referring to here) crude vulgar and foul mouthed vitriolic speech who holds all nobles in contempt, vs this Mori from the most powerful family in Japan who is so full of himself, the superiority of his 'race', on a high horse looking down at everything Joseon stands for, yet having the learned insight and take on the matter, fearing enough the will of its people to want to break their collective spirit to subjugate it forever, sent shivers up my spine. I approve of this evil villain - he's one in a long line of such characters in the Korea-Japan dramas that have gone before him, but the writer-nim has somehow added an extra pinch of oomph to this vile character. I am fantasizing about how both of these two (Wan-Ik and Mori) will go down in the end. I hope it's a good one, when it happens - I wager that Wan-Ik will be done in by Eugene's hands directly, but Mori, it'll be Dong-Mae or Ae-Sin herself, or maybe Hina. I am licking my chops waiting for that moment. :skull:

• Like 6

About grandpa Go: it is true that previews are misleading (on purpose!) but thinking that he would ever entrust his beloved granddaughter to a thug, one he knows to be an outlaw, it is not possible. Eugene is better placed, even though he is an American, someone who ceased to be a Joseon man as well as Dong Mae. The difference between them is that one is an outlaw and the other one is not. Moreover, Eugene as American is “almost” untouchable, and he can provide real protection, which, at this stage, nobody else can provide. And, she loves him. Grandpa is really an open minded man for that times, in the end. 

I believe also that the hypothesis about grandpa Go having asked Dong Mae to cut AeShin hair  can’t be real. He is a scholar teacher of neo confucianism in which the integrity of the body is a part of its philosophy. He would never ask or give permission for such a thing. If it was true anyway the meaning of the haircut as a way to cut family ties, I don't see how this can prevent the vilains from picking on AeShin anyway. Blood is thicker than water is the saying. They will never feel safe if the daughter of Go San Wan is still alive...

• Like 7

16 hours ago, blademan said:

This scene is so underrated. The part he had to restraint himself from doing anything else to her in the 2nd gif. The first time he really wanted someone, but decides to be a gentleman and let her go. Knowing that he had no right to, and that he can never have her. BYH aced this scene his acting was too damn good. 

16 hours ago, anipanch said:

UGH thanks for posting those gifs and bringing up their break up scene, it was definitely one of the highlights of the episode. Watching it, my heart shattered into pieces, SH's character is really the one getting better and better every episode, showing us sides completely worthy of falling in love. The way he is so selfless and ready to give up his interests for the sake of his loved ones is so beautiful and an example. It really breaks my heart to see him so vulnerable and sad, we can see that he genuinely cares for AS and loves her.

And yes, BYH is killing it with his amazing acting, you can feel the pain and all the emotions 

I couldnt' agree with you guys more @blademan & @anipanch  ! :wub::wub::wub: :wub::wub:   Byun Yo-Han for Emperor!

13 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Yes, as trite or cliche as it might sound, the writer-nim is succeeding in convincing me to consider again the power of love to really change a person - Ae-Sin's simple but profound faith in the words of Confucius that every life is precious (in the palanquin with young Dong-Mae) may have taken 15+ years to take root, but sprout it did indeed, because the seed was sown with the young girl's sincere love for his soul and her life risking action to back it all up.  I am pretty confident the same writer-nim will give us a very satisfactory answer as to why he cut off her hair next week. :phew:

10 hours ago, Wotad said:

He will die for DM like stopping a bullet or jumping in front of her something like that..

and inputs.

I love DM the most even though im not watching this drama still know whats going on and plan to watch after its finished.

It's hard for me to love any one or pair because they're all proving to be so worthy of our shipping for their individual worth, each in his or her own thorny path. :crazy:

@mistymorning @rubie @bebebisous33 and others, thank you so much for taking the time to share your thorough analyses, historical backgrounds and other really useful details and thoughts. B) I was gone from the thread for most of it but could catch up quickly thanks to your contributions - It's a tribute to the immensity, greatness of this drama Mr Sunshine that so many awesome fans are stepping up to add much richness to the whole experience as we watch, learn, cry and laugh together across the globe. It's pretty inspiring just reading this thread although it's impossible for me to read every post.  :wub:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, marfisa said:

About grandpa Go: it is true that previews are misleading (on purpose!) but thinking that he would ever entrust his beloved granddaughter to a thug, one he knows to be an outlaw, it is not possible. Eugene is better placed, even though he is an American, someone who ceased to be a Joseon man as well as Dong Mae. The difference between them is that one is an outlaw and the other one is not. Moreover, Eugene as American is “almost” untouchable, and he can provide real protection, which, at this stage, nobody else can provide. And, she loves him. Grandpa is really an open minded man for that times, in the end. 

I believe also that the hypothesis about grandpa Go having asked Dong Mae to cut AeShin hair  can’t be real. He is a scholar teacher of neo confucianism in which the integrity of the body is a part of its philosophy. He would never ask or give permission for such a thing. If it was true anyway the meaning of the haircut as a way to cut family ties, I don't see how this can prevent the vilains from picking on AeShin anyway. Blood is thicker than water is the saying. They will never feel safe if the daughter of Go San Wan is still alive...

Anyone that understand AeShin well enough, should realize that cutting her hair off will not keep her grounded at all and quit being RA. 

Also, her grandpa would never humiliate AeShin in public just to keep her safe. 

Too bad, i think Grandpa Go is gonna lose his life in a tragic way this weekend.....

• Like 5

@kansas424  @marfisa

I know that logically speaking and based on character traits, it should only be Eugene that Grandpa G o is talking to about protecting Ae Shin but if you watch the good quality promo on youtube (https://youtu.be/kDPRg2zuUVk)  and pause between  the 9 sec and 10 sec mark when Dong Mae is shown on the screen, you will notice that behind Dong Mae's left shoulder, there is  a blurred image of a white vase/bowl placed on a shelf/cupboard. If you go back and watch previous Grandpa Go's scenes in his room/study, you will definitely see that white bowl in the same place. 

@rubie

The actor playing Takashi is so awesome. I didn't know his name so thank you for the information. I also reiterate again, his character should have been brought back much sooner.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Who's fooled by the preview again? th_bricks.gifThe (ep17) preview captures showing Eugene all tied up caused quite a stir beforehand, but when aired it's actually quite the opposite and a brilliant scene at that. EC is knowingly helping Gunner Jang create a royal mess and they both realize they can't avoid it.. come what may. The expressions were spot on, Gunner Jang, nervously mischievous and Eugene.. this is so not good! :P LJM should be lucky he doesn't know what it is.. and perhaps, will never know about it. But then, he'd always find out. Uhh.. ohh.. Seung Gu, better watch out!

I didn't. 

You did too. th_notme.gif

mrsun17_02.gif

• Like 4
  • LOL 3