[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

38 minutes ago, KDramaLogic said:

(...)

4. AS is about to cut the b******.  Btw, were you making a Game of Thrones reference regarding Arya Stark's making the list of the Freys and others responsible for her family's death/separation/etc.- hence' "memorization of all the soldiers' faces"?  If so, then Wan Ik and other Japanese (loyalists) better watch out: "The North remembers" and "Winter is coming". :ph34r:

Yes, I was. Was thinking, "Uh Oh!" as AS was studying the soldiers' faces, and I pictured her taking revenge. I'd take the GOT reference a step further and says that she, at times, also reminds me of the Mother of Dragons: How many men are under her charms and ready fight tooth, nails and lives for her? 3? ^_^

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

I don't know if any of you have watched the princess man drama. A noble woman cutting off her hair symbolises also cutting her relationship with her parents. Our Korean Soompier can help me verify with this please. So far, this is my understanding. After the telegram intel, I believe the most plausible reason for DM's action could be this. He knows WI is trying to solve the puzzle of AS and the identity of her parents. His action was shocking, yes. He also knows she might kill him for it. He did say he doesn't even care if she becomes his enemy. This is the second time he asks for her to basically kill him if she doesn't agree with whatever he did. He doesn't need her understanding. He will just protect her as he sees fit. That is just his personality. EC and HS are more finesse in their behaviour towards AS. But not DM. Ok I will continue later. I would like to watch ep 19 first before I can deliberate more on DM's action as I feel there is more to it than meets the eye, based on my understanding of the cutting hair thingy. Of course DM is not a bad guy here, he is one of the good guys, ruthlessness notwithstanding. He is just a little brute, a grumpy member of the team who would disagree at everything but eventually follow through with the plan. Just like those grumpy brute but softie dwarf of the LOTR:tounge_xd:. Don't be too serious ladies. Everything is done for a reason. Give him the benefit of a doubt. Wait for next week for more explanation. 

Cheers!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

@KDramaLogic Thanks for the good words and great posts, especially. MR.SUNSHINE is already causing the blood and stress level to rise dangerously, we don't need to rub more salt to (any) wound.

Anyway, @Ahpheng is around (you've got the name slightly misspelled) .. thanks to her for a good message today. I hope the forum situation (with IG posting) have been rectified.. it seemed to be quite a problem before.

Photo: inisajamo

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, andy78 said:

waiting to watch ep 18...let's hope we will have more otp moments next week....

We're getting closer to the ultimate conflict aka impending Japanese colonization of Joseon Korea; so let's savor whatever OTP moments (and other light-hearted moments) KES will graciously grant us.

On to the Ep. 19 preview: Yay!  AS' donning her trademark uniform and a rifle in her hand!  Hopefully she (along with EC and maybe other RA members) will start taking out the Japanese and any Korean-Japanese traitors, starting with that ever-smirking Wan Ik.  Speaking of which, can we have more scenes of Wan Ik being on the receiving end of the sword/gun/weapon like the one in the next episode preview?  Seriously, someone (preferably AS on behalf of her parents and her grandfather) needs to cut off Wan Ik's source of power (and his head, for good measure)!

20 minutes ago, andy78 said:

i so like Arya...I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IF OUR GIRL WILL TAKE THE REVENGE PATH TOO...

I know, right!?  Well, Arya did off the Frey family for the dreaded Red Wedding (it would have been more satisfying if Arya first let Lord Frey be present with the rest of the family so he'd first witness the poetic justice a la Red Wedding before she killed him, but I'm fine with canon story as well).  Arya may have put off her revenge path to reunite with the remaining Stark family members sans Jon Snow (still expecting that long-awaited reunion/hug; it's 6-7 seasons overdue!:dissapointed_relieved:), but she'll go off with a bang in the next- and final- season.  Btw, I was bummed out that Season 8 was scheduled for 2019 with only six episodes instead of 10 (seasons 1-6) or 7 (season 7); talk about a dry spell for Game of Thrones (GoT) fans this year...<_<.  Still, I'll trust that the GoT creators (and George R.R. Martin) would not put off the series finale by a year to leave us with nothing less than a suspenseful, epic showdown amidst the "Winter"; don't let us down!

• Like 3

Dong mae dong mae ... That is not right.

I disappointed by dong mae, somebody should teach him communication and respect.

Everybody can have a goodwill, but one should not overstep the line. Everybody got to choose what they want for their self, their self.

As hot as dong mae is, i disappointed.

Btw, that japanese mori is downright evil and precisely smart (Read: dangerous).

He smiled at the thought of signing paper with blood, he knows where to slash on the vital(killed ... and kill joseon spirit).

Not even lee wan ik who had years of experiences can compare to him, he actually makes LWI look like a baby compare to him and foolish too.

• Like 8

Honor and Integrity are shown through how you treat another in private. A little kindness goes a long way.  I'm happy for Dong Mae at this moment, not because he gets to see a glimpse of her, but more for all the years and hope he placed on her character were not in vain.

Screenshot 2018-09-02 09.20.21Screenshot 2018-09-02 09.20.42

Spoiler

Screenshot 2018-09-02 09.21.26Screenshot 2018-09-02 09.21.37Screenshot 2018-09-02 09.22.29Screenshot 2018-09-02 09.23.12Screenshot 2018-09-02 09.23.25Screenshot 2018-09-02 09.23.46Screenshot 2018-09-02 09.24.48Screenshot 2018-09-02 09.25.15Screenshot 2018-09-02 09.25.26Screenshot 2018-09-02 09.25.46

Screenshot 2018-09-02 09.26.15

At this moment, Dong Mae is one of a few men who viewed Ae Shin differently for her broken engagement.  Reaching out to him not only from her sincere and grateful heart for helping her grandfather.  It comes from a woman who understands how it feels to be shunted from society unfairly.  

I just love how KES writes Dong Mae's loyalty here as it is not only based on his tragic love. It's his high regard for her character as well.

Edit: what happened in E19? LOL why all the discussion about DM?  Gotta go and watch now :)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, kansas424 said:

Cutting hair means alot more than that. 

ANyway, Wan Ik wont stop killing AS just because she cut her hair ROFL. 

Irregardless of what Dong Mae thinks, his action is not excusable. It really shows that he didn't understand AeShin at all. She wont stop being RA just because she lost her hair? Her pride, her faith, her cause, losing those are no different than being dead despite being physically alive.

It's a selfish act. He wants to be the guy to save her, and he did it his way, and the least effective way lmao. This is not saving, you ruined her freaking life for god sake. Your love is just possessive, with no sense of respect at all. 

I feel like the writer is trying to change the perception of those delusioned girls harping on guys with the same possessive mindset which they classify as hot bla bla bla. In reality, it really isn't.  

I think it is too early to say that. From what we see in episode 19, DM just wants to protect AS and we do not know his motivation yet.

there are two things that were made clear in the last episodes:

1) AS can be quite impulsive. The gunner told her not to visit the hut, but she went there. and now LWI caught on something about her birth. Eugene also kept her at the legation although she wanted to go to her grandfather. and he advised her that sometimes not to do anything is better.

She uses her noble status, but now this is not of very much help.

But there is an even bigger problem: compared with most of the other characters in the drama, AS does not have access to information. Her agency is crippled by her diminished knowledge of the situation. Recall that even in the RA, she is meant to be kept in the dark about the actual things, for her protection. 

2) DM is on her side. Because of his connections, he has some insight into what's happening that is even better than that of EC. We do not know yet whether DM's motivation was his desire to have her for himself and deny her agency. Maybe it was a way to protect her, but because he did not have time to ask her, he did what's the best thing. 

Moreover, asking her what is best for her rationally speaking might not be the best thing to do: as I said, she does not have much knowledge about what's happening.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, miracle23 said:

A noble woman cutting off her hair symbolises also cutting her relationship with her parents. Our Korean Soompier can help me verify with this please. So far, this is my understanding. After the telegram intel, I believe the most plausible reason for DM's action could be this. He knows WI is trying to solve the puzzle of AS and the identity of her parents. His action was shocking, yes. He also knows she might kill him for it. He did say he doesn't even care if she becomes his enemy. This is the second time he asks for her to basically kill him if she doesn't agree with whatever he did. He doesn't need her understanding.

Thank you for this interesting information, it really makes sense! And well said about his actions.

Anyway going back to the last scene of ep 18, i'm starting to even surely believe that DM's motives are greater than we think. Like i said he is cleverer than to think that a haircut will stop AS from exiting her house. More than that, why did DM cut her hair so ceremoniously in front of the whole street while he could have easily visited her anytime he wanted privately. This fact proves that his motives weren't simply about saving AS from public's eye and ensuring she stays hidden from society. Moreover, DM's face says it all - he looks utterly devasted by his actions, he has tears in his eyes knowing perfectly well, that what he's doing is unacceptable but he has no choice, he is ready to accept AS' hatred if it means she will be safe and somewhat protected.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

Dong Mae,  its  never boring with him. 

He always does something unexpected.

But, I really cant with you baby...

I like you, you are fun. Lol

Thank you for not  put the blame on the girl whose had her hair cut, at the era and culture when hair means much more than well, a hair. Just because she is thought to not know any better.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, miracle23 said:

A noble woman cutting off her hair symbolises also cutting her relationship with her parents. Our Korean Soompier can help me verify with this please. So far, this is my understanding.

@mistymorning come help us. Correct me here please chingu! :blush:

In my limited understanding of Kdrama, Ae Shin's long hair, braided and adorned with ribbons (daenggi) and side of head decorate with pretty hairpins (dwikkoji) signified a maiden, unmarried woman.  Hairstyle will change to a chignon when the girl is married.

Hair length is also representing the person's inner strength.  In Joseon period, it is forbidden to cut hair since it is viewed as a legacy from their parents and thus something has to be preserved.

• Like 10

@miracle23, On "A noble woman cutting off her hair symbolises also cutting her relationship with her parents. "

By the Confucian belief, all body parts are from your parents and you may not damage it. This is considered as a filial duty. Along with being loyal to the king, filial duty is considered the one of the 2 major virtues in the Joseon Society. This esp. true for men. For women, they're allowed to cut her hair to sell it, supporting their married family. But... there is no such need for Aeshin. And remember, even though she's an RA sniper, she is also trained by Confucian philosophy in the most renowned Confucian scholar family. 

If she did it herself like Eugene did, we can consider this as AS cutting ties with old traditional ways. - not cutting ties with your parents, you'll never be able to cut ties with your parents in Joseon unless your parents cut it.  - But DM did it, and I'm planning to come back with recap of that part later, from my viewing DM did it to stop Aeshin from risking herself by fighting as RA. This is urgh... DM forcing his will on AS even though she didn't, and doesn't want any of his opinions.

And you can see from next episode she's out in western clothing as sniper again. So what did DM achieve from his behavior? Nothing!  Except smearing already tarnished AS's name, doing that in public. This is crazy stuff even by modern standard, unthinkable in that time.

KES is writing DM on really fine line, being part of love square... he's going over step constantly. I know this is DM's characterization, but urgh........ any hope of AS reciprocation of DM's love is gone. Only thing left is probably friend, at best.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, miracle23 said:

I don't know if any of you have watched the princess man drama. A noble woman cutting off her hair symbolises also cutting her relationship with her parents. Our Korean Soompier can help me verify with this please. So far, this is my understanding. After the telegram intel, I believe the most plausible reason for DM's action could be this. He knows WI is trying to solve the puzzle of AS and the identity of her parents. His action was shocking, yes. He also knows she might kill him for it. He did say he doesn't even care if she becomes his enemy. This is the second time he asks for her to basically kill him if she doesn't agree with whatever he did. He doesn't need her understanding. He will just protect her as he sees fit. That is just his personality. EC and HS are more finesse in their behaviour towards AS. But not DM. Ok I will continue later. I would like to watch ep 19 first before I can deliberate more on DM's action as I feel there is more to it than meets the eye, based on my understanding of the cutting hair thingy. Of course DM is not a bad guy here, he is one of the good guys, ruthlessness notwithstanding. He is just a little brute, a grumpy member of the team who would disagree at everything but eventually follow through with the plan. Just like those grumpy brute but softie dwarf of the LOTR:tounge_xd:. Don't be too serious ladies. Everything is done for a reason. Give him the benefit of a doubt. Wait for next week for more explanation. 

Cheers!

I do not know about that drama, but I found in a book that indeed cutting the hair symbolizes cutting the ties with one's parents. The idea seems to be that one should value's one body since the body pertains not to him or her, but to his or her parents (it is part of the Confucianism ideal). This is why there was opposition to cutting one's hair. It seems that in 1920 a woman, a woman rights activist, cut her hair in protest. (for more see Eclipsed Cinema: The Film Culture of Colonial Korea, p. 196: I read from it on Google)

If this is what the scriptwriter goes for, I think it might be that DM's message for AS is to cut her ties with her upbringing values and embrace more encompassing values. It might be something akin to Eugene's discussion with her about the reasons for which she fights.

So until now, there are three possible explanations for DM's actions:

1. he was possessive

2. he wanted to help her by giving her a reason to stay put.

3. he liberated her of customs and encouraged her to fight for more than the nobler's ideals. 

But yes, until next week, it would not be clear what just happened, so it would be helpful if we get more reasons for why somebody would cut one's hair.

I find it strange if AS were to be upset about her hair cut since for women, long hair is part of what the society expects of some women: pretty with long hair, taking seriously their feminine role. But she broke with most of the social customs when she started her love affair with Eugene. Having her haircut is the smallest problem she might have...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, tzupi said:

I find it strange if AS were to be upset about her hair cut since for women, long hair is part of what the society expects of some women: pretty with long hair, taking seriously their feminine role. But she broke with most of the social customs when she started her love affair with Eugene. Having her haircut is the smallest problem she might have...

Well, that is one way to look at things..

Just curious, if you had really big problem (not health  related problem like chemotherapy) and someone cut your hair and say that is done for your sake and in his opinion good for you, and cut it in front of a lot of people..

Would you be angry or thank him ?

I'm really curious.. because you had a very dissimilar way of think compare to me.

For me, whether it's work or not if something done to me without my consent (not me as a child of course, i mean me as adult) i would not accept it.

I hope you are not offended, this is purely my curiosity..

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

@mistymorning come help us. Correct me here please chingu! :blush:

In my limited understanding of Kdrama, Ae Shin's long hair, braided and adorned with ribbons (daenggi) and side of head decorate with pretty hairpins (dwikkoji) signified a maiden, unmarried woman.  Hairstyle will change to a chignon when the girl is married.

chingu, these are right in modern korean senses, but in those times, there's another way, the coming of age ceremony for man(around their 20) and woman(around 15) in Joseon. They can change their hair style to adult hair style after the ceremony. In Joseon they usually marry before that age, so usually, they did this ceremony before their wedding dates. Considering Aeshin is almost 30... hm... that means, she should be in adult hair style and considered as an adult. This coming of age ceremony disappeared around enlightenment period. so to modern korean viewers would expect Aeshin with daenggi and find it strange if she is in adult hair style when she's unmarried. I guess that's why production put Aeshin's hair style as a child.

Hair length is also representing the person's inner strength.  In Joseon period, it is forbidden to cut hair since it is viewed as a legacy from their parents and thus something has to be preserved.

I don't know about that.. but I know Joseon women likes their hair long, so they used wig to extend it. It's expensive decoration so poor women sold their hairs as a last resort to survive.(And that was allowed for women). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2