[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost 香蜜沉沉烬如霜

sugarplum892

23 hours ago, angelangie said:

i like your word 'Achingly' it is so beautiful but yet so aching.... :) 

it is honestly a bittersweet journey...where true love always prevail and they have to went thru it to survive....at the very least they didnt lost it to know they care for the other....even though XuFeng had already lost JinMi just that they are immortal so they have the chance of reincarnation and to meet again.....

somehow this story let us know there is no such thing as 'regret' in life....strive for all what you now....but not the wrong way....if it is yours then it will be yours....no point forcing it....as when you force it....at the end the thing will always go back to where it belong.....

This is so true! 

There are many life philosophy in this story that I really like to pick and ponder.... 

One thing that stuck with me this past week was the word " We can never go back to the way we were " .. and somehow... it reminds me of the soft pain I feel whenever I re-watch the drama from the start, back when Jin Mi were still that carefree girl, back when Xu Feng were still young arrogant but honorable god of war.

Watching how their story goes from so much laughter and lightness to the sad and tragic makes me think about growing up....... their life have changed so much that no matter how painful it is for everyone,,, no, they can never go back to the past. All what's left is either to forget it and go their separate way.. OR start anew.... 

Just like in the real life, whenever we think about that long days in the sun, the friends we left behind, we can never go back to the past.... this is the reality of our life.

----

@ayang23 :wub:

• Like 3

Oh gosh that review had me kinda teary eyed.

I think I'm going to have to re-watch again soon.    

One of the philosophies I loved from it was how corrupting power can be/is,  not only for those who covet it, but those who have it.  It really honestly is such an intelligent drama in so many ways.      

• Like 1

Yes still rewatching...

Finished book...as well...I know there was a lot of comparison...I actually like the drama better...lots of talk not enough DL/YZ screen...

I wonder when artist sign up for drama they tell them 30 chapters they are supposed to act in...and then the producers change to 60..but the contract is only 30 and they pay main actors only for that amount..so hence they make it up with less expensive secondary characters...

I was okay with the addon chracters..of course wished more screentime with the main....there was so much screentime in three lives/three worlds with dilebra? (forgot her name)...yangmi's niece...I skipped those so it was same here..but I actually liked the demon princess a lot...dilebras part in TLTW was so boring to me...(maybe be better when pillow case drama comes out)

anyway I liked the Xufeng in the drama better...in novel he was too harsh squeezing her neck, forcing her etc, even mutual cultiviation seemed force in book...in drama they toned down his overly arrogance (but sacrificed his warhero image...)...the first mutual cultiviation in drama was mutual..she finally developed feelings for him during mortal realm......several many times he told her he'd kill her in the novel -- that's like obsessive unhealthy love..he only did that once in drama when he tried force himself to hate her when she told him she loved him...

In drama he almost died for her several times..in beginning taking aim with the demon monster couple times, going to mortal realm with her..its just that they should have made him a little more intelligent in the drama with his brother...the worst was being tricked by his brother during the wedding..and I guess we expect a hero to win out in a battle but it was obvious he was loosing in that final demon battle...if she didn't sacrifice herself XF probably would have died a second time..

In three lives, yuehua similarly sacrificed a lot..they didn't show much of yuehua's warhero either but difference is yuehua was cold to everybody except the woman he loved...no brother to trick him...so people didn't complain as much about yuehua's weak spots vs XF in this series...

boy I do agree DL looks most suave as demon king..that hairstyle suited him better..

• Like 1

Just finished watching this drama and I have to say I haven't enjoyed a costume drama this much since ten mile peach blossom. I'm still have post-drama depression,  but not too serve because it's a happy ending. I especially love the second half. I am very surprise by Yang Zi acting in this drama. She did very well.

First time I see deng lun and yunxi luo and they both played their character so well. I'm looking forward to more main leads from them in future costume drama. This year have some very well done costume drama.

Btw, usually, anyone know how long before a drama make it into dvd after airing?

• Like 2

I just realized after watching it again...that even after the wedding and XF said that they perhaps can "start all over"...he added "don't lie to me again...if not....this time we both will die...etc".  At that point, he still haven't 100% fully trusted her again.  I can't blame him...it takes time to build relationship but one thing can ruin relationship quickly...let alone she stabbed him and told him once she never loved him...

Even thinking that she didn't love him and betrayed him he still couldn't get himself to kill her...so I didn't blame him for pushing her away so many times....

It wasn't until the flower goddess told him about her unfeeling pill...he reminise the time Jinmei finally told him she loved him and about the pill..he didn't believe it then....but after her death.it was just then he finally believe it...(I don't think even at wedding he believe such thing)

And it wasn't until RY told him that it was he who amended the broken pill...that in the mortal realm Jinmi fell in love with XF that she wanted to break the wedding...that XF finally realized that Jinmi had loved him since then....XF said "so that is why..she never actually changed." I think he meant her heart?  ..I was so glad RY told him and XF was finally able to put the piece together on her behavior....XF finally fully 100% realized the all along Jinmei loved him and only him.

But I wonder why it took 3 years for her come back as a tear for a few minutes..that was the time she was to recincarnate? IT happened to be when he was looking at her drawings? I guess I still didn't understand if she reincarnate as human (then she would eventually die) or that her soul ended up into the human form of Jinmei...so she eventually becomes immortal..

I remember in three worlds three lives humans can actually become immortal thru long virtue quest and practice...I wonder if the same here as well..

All in all such a great drama. not perfect....haven't felt so much love for a drama since three worlds three lives...

• Like 2

A litte off topic

Well Yanzhi was in that snake drama...similarly another xianjia drama....she does a lot of these types of drama...but I don't think it was as good?  there was not the same amount of news for it...

Actually, can anyone tell me what was the meaning of the hairlocks she cut and gave him?  

I didn't even realize she created a poem ...and the purpose of the hair?  So its easier for her to kill him?  So that he thinks she loves so he is off guard so that she can kill him at the wedding?

...Didn't get it....because at the wedding it didn't seem like Jinmei was 100% ready to act kill XF until she saw XF use the fire power that SH used to kill her father...then after she kills him suddenly it hit her that she actually killed him...and he screamed out his name, spit out the unfeeling pill, and fainted...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, El Lieu said:

Actually, can anyone tell me what was the meaning of the hairlocks she cut and gave him?  

I didn't even realize she created a poem ...and the purpose of the hair?  So its easier for her to kill him?  So that he thinks she loves so he is off guard so that she can kill him at the wedding?

...Didn't get it....because at the wedding it didn't seem like Jinmei was 100% ready to act kill XF until she saw XF use the fire power that SH used to kill her father...then after she kills him suddenly it hit her that she actually killed him...and he screamed out his name, spit out the unfeeling pill, and fainted...

Do you remember, when JM has the three years to grieve for her father before marrying RY?  At one point, we see that Moon immortal has come to visit her, and has brought her books to read.  During one of his visits, they talk about one of the books she read (I think it's the one Moon wrote) In the book, a mortal and an immortal have a love affair.  In the end, the mortal stabs the immortal in the toe/foot, thus killing the immortal since that is where they kept their essence, basically. 

Sooo, JM gives XF her lock of hair, assuming he'll put it in his essence - as she believes, without a doubt that he was the one that murdered her father - so this gives her access to his life, basically.  She tells him that the poem is about him and gives him a lock of her hair - which really shows a streak of deviousness on JM's side.  I don't feel like JM had intended to kill XF outright - but it gave her the upper hand, anyways.  Then, with RYs very careful choice of words, XF's use of glass fire in a fit of rage over the murder of his right hand man and then, the 'ghosts' of those murdered literally surrounding JM, things went down as they did. 

That's how I read it , anyways.  

(as always, correct me if I'm wrong)           

• Like 3

On 10/10/2018 at 6:30 AM, El Lieu said:

But I wonder why it took 3 years for her come back as a tear for a few minutes..that was the time she was to recincarnate? IT happened to be when he was looking at her drawings? I guess I still didn't understand if she reincarnate as human (then she would eventually die) or that her soul ended up into the human form of Jinmei...so she eventually becomes immortal..

I remember in three worlds three lives humans can actually become immortal thru long virtue quest and practice...I wonder if the same here as well..

All in all such a great drama. not perfect....haven't felt so much love for a drama since three worlds three lives...

JM kinda "lived" in XF eyes as a tear drop after her "death" and throughout the 3 years, she was absorbing the cold from XF's body cause he refuse to take the antidote and threw it away, (rmb RY messed with the pill that brought XF back to life and it caused XF to have cold attacks) so her to be able to resurrect her true form.  

So when XF finally cried while looking through her drawings, kinda regretting his past actions and letting out his emotions I feel (idk if he cried on other occasions throughout these 3 years, I bet he didn't), with her true form being resurrected, she was able to reincarnate, and landed in the mortal world where XF found her. I guess the fact that she sacrificed herself to stop the heaven-demon war and the holy ash that was bestowed to her previously by the Buddha has also helped in her reincarnation.

I bet she is immortal, in fact she may still be the water goddess because there was a scene where Lian Qiao (JM"s good friend, the one who always dresses in yellow) presented LY with a new flower specie as a gift and she mentioned that this was cultivated by the water goddess (though I can't fantom how is it possible with RY still being the Celestial King; but then again, JM is really kind, so I bet she wouldn't want the 6 realms to suffer without a water god)

(I may be wrong in my interpretations, do correct me if that's the case)

And sorry for gate crashing! Chanced upon this thread after my first sign in within a year.

For those who still refuse to let go of this drama (like me XD), I have read some pretty well-written fan fictions on LOFTER which tied up some loose ends that the scriptwriter did not address in the drama. If anyone's interested, I'll be glad to share the link!

Cheers!

• Like 4

On 10/13/2018 at 12:25 AM, cpy95 said:

to

And sorry for gate crashing! Chanced upon this thread after my first sign in within a year.

For those who still refuse to let go of this drama (like me XD), I have read some pretty well-written fan fictions on LOFTER which tied up some loose ends that the scriptwriter did not address in the drama. If anyone's interested, I'll be glad to share the link!

Cheers!

I love fanfictions...but you should also read the actual book...I love it!

18 hours ago, ElleSor said:

I love fanfictions...but you should also read the actual book...I love it!

I've read the book back in March hahahahaha

LOVE IT TOO!

If only the scriptwriter could bring the book version of XF into the drama, it would be perfect imo. At least he lived up to his name as a "War god" in the novel but not so much in the drama I feel. But then again, some adaptations made for the drama was good too! Like the part where JM understood dialects and helped XF during the selection of the soldiers HAHAHAHA 

Check out the fanfic if you like it! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cpy95 said:

I've read the book back in March hahahahaha

LOVE IT TOO!

If only the scriptwriter could bring the book version of XF into the drama, it would be perfect imo. At least he lived up to his name as a "War god" in the novel but not so much in the drama I feel. But then again, some adaptations made for the drama was good too! Like the part where JM understood dialects and helped XF during the selection of the soldiers HAHAHAHA 

Check out the fanfic if you like it! 

True, the drama was also good and Deng Lun was great as a lovesick Phoenix. My heart broke for him. 

• Like 3

Just came upon this drama. I absolutely loved the father daughter Luolin and Jin Mi moment. So cute that Chief Zhang commented father and daughter are "blur blur" because of genes.

So funny Jin Mi commented on a retailer gimmick. Get a father comes with a husband. Buy 1 free 1. I absolutely was on the floor with laughter.

So sad that Xu Feng trials with Jin Mi is because of his own mother's deed.

• Like 3

Finished the drama and I saved 4 episodes into my "favourites". I liked Luolin finding out he has a daughter and loved the fact he rubbed it into Taiwei's face that Zi Fen's daughter shared his DNA.

Stupid Taiwei just passed over the spiritual thingy without checking first. Xu Feng has the intellience of convert his spiritual thingy to pass it safely to Jin Mi.

Then the big revelation of Peacock's crimes. I had a good laugh Moon Immortal attempt to undress Liuying.

I loved that Luolin as a mortal was still Jin Mi's father.

• Like 3

I really like the ending song of this drama. Her voice is so beautiful. Hearing the song so many times but I still don't understand meaning of the lyrics until I saw a post from Luo Yun Xi's fan facebook. I like to share it with you guy. I tried to translate it from Vietnamese to English, so there will be some mistakes, since English is not my first language. 

Everybody watching the film must have heard the song "Upward to the Moon" by Sa Ding Ding presented each time an episode ended. the song is divided into six episodes, each mentions the left and right hand repeatedly. It is not difficult to recognize the left hand is in term of Xu Feng, the right hand is Yuan Yu.

If you are Buddhist or just have the love of research, then you may know the famous story "Fingers of the moon" which is used to teach people how to look at everything in live, to understand the balance between the destination and the meaning of implementation. According to the legend, when Gautama was born, he walked in the flower garden with seven steps, step by step, the lotus was opened under the heel, he raised his hand to heaven, giving the wish of this life to free suffering. No one knows which hand the Buddha used to point. Therefore, the status of the Buddha based on the culture of each region. Indians see the right hand to represent power, sanctity. Chinese and the East Asian countries treasure left hand. However, the left or right hand is just the name, how we  can qualify its value. Doing right or wrong isn't influential by its name. People are born equally, they may be in wrong circumstance, but the opportunity to choose the personality is the same. The ability to be good, the risk of corruption as well as the opportunity to reform are all the same. In our story, our "Xu Feng and Yuan Yu", their hands have gone to different ways. They are contrasted, all encapsulated in the song.

"Left hand of the Land, Right hand of the Heaven." 

Both hands broke away, thunders and lightning shock were all directions. Xu Feng's future held the boundary of the Hell. Yuan Yu was the new guardian of the Heaven. The day their fraternal relationship broke also was the day their conflicts broke out, the war was unceasing and the thunders flashed everywhere.

"Left hand picked flowers, Right hand danced sword."

Xu Feng, Fire Ferity, was amorous and a lovebird. The God of War suddenly understood the meaning of love, even knew how to take a loving care of a fragile petal, a early dewdrop. On the contrary, Yuan Yu was greatly gentle and solitary but still hold a condemn in his heart, and grinded his sword under the moon every night.

"Left hand put on the string, Right hand pluck off."

One person restrained disturbance, prayed for peace for six realms. One person bearing a resentment determined to blow the Heaven.

"Left hand upward to the moon, Right hand holds the dodder marriage tie."

"Left hand turns into feathers, Right hand turns into fish scales."

The greatest desire of these two brothers was revealed through this verse. Feng Hua just want to be free without any worries, hands hugging his loved ones. Fishery also just want to be a small fish from the beginning.

Cr. @Leovnfc

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Wotad said:

Im becoming a traitor it seems now that im watching Ashes of Love im on episode 30 and im really on Night Immortal revenge side if the empress does not die ill hate this show that richard simmons does not deserve to live. 

Tbh, I never - (well rarely) end up disliking characters, and there's only two of them from C/K/T drama land that I could say I truly loathed - one was the main dude from Flame's Daughter, and the other was not Empress or even Sui He - it was/is Run Yu.  And it's because of his manipulation and dehumanization of JM that sets me off.  Like yeah he has every right to seek revenge on Empress, but the way he treats JM is inexcusable to me.       

• Like 2