Quantcast
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost 香蜜沉沉烬如霜

I really like Fate Fairy's version of the Unsullied OST ;D

Did anyone notice some awkward editing especially after JM escaped after being hurt by XF's fire. The next scene just cuts to the kiss. I feel like the 2nd cultivation scene if it were to happen would have even more meaning/solidify their relationship more. Loving all those comments of everyone loving XF's demon change of hairstyle and outfit!

This "redemption arc" is turning everyone into the dark side. I think SH is also going to the dark side as she was more "nicer" in the past compared to now. Though she does mention how "scary" XF is becoming, she's starting to "match" XF. And notice how anxious Night is when he hears how "strong" XF is becoming. He's uneasy!

I need like 4 episodes and not 2 episodes. We got 9 episodes left! Ya'll ready? Everyone is perfectly casted for their roles. I just love watching the BTS. So cute!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Yui. said:

I feel like the 2nd cultivation scene if it were to happen would have even more meaning/solidify their relationship more.

For sure the effect would be more cruel to JM - in the end he still would call her SH - and that hurts like hell even after just a kiss. I am okay with that change - they can give us one later - when they love each other again without bad feelings left. :D

I loved the latest Episodes - but the last - watching RAW - felt a little rushed to me... I hope it will not be like that - maybe I just need the subs. I alwayse feared they will cut the scenes in the demon World later - the part I was waiting for the most.

If you ask me SH was not niever before - but she needed to pretend to be - now she can show her true colours even thinking the new Phönix loves her like that. She don´t need to hold back anymore.

And yes - the BTS are wonderful!

and just because I need to say it - don´t harm the Snake! sob

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rose_loves_ice said:

Dang, today's episode got me emo. lol All main leads basically reaped what they sowed. 

Deng Lun, I mean, Phoenix looks soooo darn hot as the demon lord. Black really looks good on Deng Lun. I love it when he's just laying there on the chair drinking whatever he's drinking. Oh man. He looked yummy! LOL 

I must be the only one but I absolutely love it when the main male lead makes the main girl jealous due to the hurt she caused him - vice versa too. Maybe I just love angsty drama in dramas. lol I feel for all characters. It pained me to see Jin Mi hurt from XF's rejection and cold shoulders, but I don't blame XF for acting that way toward JM either. It's a shame that we didn't get the 2nd mutual cultivation but it's whatever. I still enjoyed today's episodes, but I am more excited for tomorrow's episodes. I know we don't have much episodes left, and it breaks my heart that we're only getting so much scenes of OTP left. I can feel it in my bones that the last few episodes are going to be quite rushed and choppy from the looks of it. It's a pity that this drama could've been the one had they not dragged it a bit. Sigh. Nonetheless, it's still a great and enjoyable drama. :)

I just realized that Yang Zi is like 16 days younger than Deng Lun. This is so rare for a lot of co-stars to only be that far apart in age from one another. What kind of fate or drama is this? LOL 

Oh, the part when JM tried to restore the phoenix flower tree was so heartbreaking. Because she lost her sight to see colors, did she think that the phoenix flowers really grew out and was alive? I wasn't sure if she was crying tears of happiness or tears of pain...? 

Jin Mi did really revive the tree but the problem is that the phoenix flowers' color is wrong mainly because she can't see colors anymore. In her mind, she sees the tree as it was before of course not knowing that the flowers' aren't red. I think she was crying tears of happiness because they're tree came back alive and she can go see Xu Feng. 

• Like 5

I just finished ep 38 today and I was already getting so frustrated with RY’s story and manipulation. Then I come onto here to find out how much worse it’s going to get and now i’m hella sad. I’m going to keep watching because I’m so emotionally invested in JM and XF though :bawling:, so much that I finally quit lurking and made an account to comment how frustrated I am. 

Edited by heartrate
  • Like 4

hello,i'm Newbie.This is chinese fantasy drama i ever seen.I usually only watched korean drama. i'm a huge yangzi fan, her acting is very great. i' watched this drama only because yangzi and i love the storyline.the storyline is awesome.

• Like 4

My two cents about the feather protecting Jin Mi is that it must have manifested Phoenix's true heart. 

He's angry at Jin Mi but deep down he still loves her and the feather knows what's in his heart.

I totally get why Phoenix hurts Jin Mi (when she tries to kill Sui He, in the drama), several times in the novel he has said he really might kill her one of these days. And he actually starts to draw his sword at her (before he pretended to be affected by the plague needles at the southern gate) and drown her (Before their mutual cultivation). Both are in the novel but not in the drama. 

• Like 3

Attention to Detail

I've been wanting to write this post for a while now. This series' attention to detail is simply amazing. For example: the calligraphy. 

FrOadXT.png

The top right panel shows Jin Mi's calligraphy (from the scene when she first meets Xu Feng again after 3 years of mourning). Consistently throughout the series, a type of calligraphy called seal script is shown. The top left panel shows a real example of it. It is not a style of calligraphy I expect to even see in period dramas because it is quite far removed from everyday Chinese writing. I'm surprised they went to these lengths for a Chinese fantasy. Although, if Jin Mi wanted to write a really impressive love poem to Xu Feng, she should've used a seal script sub-type called 'bird and worm seal' (bottom panel). This type of calligraphy embellished the characters with birds (very appropriate for Mr Feng Huang). 

XD9STMV.png

I usually expect what I call the 'tomato sauce' bleeds :D. Sometimes it's too plastic bright, others too dark. And viscosity of blood usually unrealistic too. When I saw this close up, I was impressed. Convincing colour and viscosity. Someone did their homework and/or the props people mixed their stuff well.

SJySPIa.png

I really didn't expect anything extra when Jin Mi hunkered down into her rock camouflage. Wow, the show made sure to give a rationale for how Jin Mi got away from detection. Jin Mi stabs herself in the arm with one of Sui He's darts (I imagine weapons that carry a signature of energy from their mistress), so that the weapon's essence could help hide her own presence when Sui He was near. Smart. I also noticed later on when Jin Mi is sitting beside Xu Feng's comatose body, the camera makes sure to keep Jin Mi's wounded arm onscreen. As if to remind us that Jin Mi comes to repent carrying wounds on the outside and inside. 

An Othello Moment

Sn9VEfK.png

Look at that glacial stare! Impressed with how Dun Lun changes his expression. So far, both leads are hitting the high performance notes. His entire expression flows from forlorn to vengeful frostiness when he is told of this 'betrayal'. It's also the moment that made me think of Othello. Namely, listening to someone else and taking it on face value. And then letting that stew and skew all further experiences involving Jin Mi. Jin Mi did stab Xu Feng, and that is betrayal in itself (from Xu Feng's POV). But this assumption of scheming betrayal is on a whole other level. Rationality would make Xu Feng realise that it is coming from a highly unreliable source (I would trust Run Yu as far as I could throw him at this point). Unfortunately, the poison that Run Yu planted in the pill that revived Xu Feng would seem to confirm Run Yu's claim: the pill harms Xu Feng in a cold way (we can see Xu Feng get iced over when he is unwell). And Jin Mi is of a frost nature. I can see how this logic will play out in Xu Feng's head: Jin Mi must have been the one to tamper with the pill with her primordially cold essence.

This may be unfair on Jin Mi, but Xu Feng is undergoing the same experience as she did. While Jin Mi is experiencing what it feels like to be wrongly accused, Xu Feng is experiencing - or will experience - the agony of killing the love of his life. It's almost as if the OTP are playing tag with each other. Just in a painful rather than playful way.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

@Nudafu That's it, if this drama doesn't win any awards ( despite the blacklash it received from novel fans ), I'm gonna be really upset :( Not only is the acting topnotch ( to the point the actual actors are getting death threats lol ), but the costume designs, CGI, storytelling ( ex. the fact that non-novel readers can follow the drama very easily ) - everything is quality work, you can tell they put a lot of effort into creating this drama.

On the subject of storytelling - I've read some comments about XF's thoughts regarding JM being very obscure, such as if he really knows if JM is the one who saved him. I believe it was like this in the novel too, where it wasn't revealed until the very end the fact that XF did know that JM saved him. However, in the drama, I think DL acts well enough to suggest to the viewers that he does have an idea that JM was the one who saved him. His expressions when he faces JM is full of conflict even when his actions and words say otherwise - just like in the novel, he's trying to hold himself back from forgiving and loving her, and he gets mad at himself for having these thoughts, but probably even more mad at JM for making him be in that position in the first place, which only fuels his bloodlust/vengeance. 

And little JM, poor little JM. Countless times I've thought 'just run away and ignore him, look at how he's treating you! Don't hurt yourself anymore' but she keeps going back lol. But that's what makes her JM - the naive, headstrong little grape we all fell in love with. Breaks my heart to see her crying every episode. As heartless as this sounds, I can't wait for her to die to see XF suffer for how he treated JM. But I thought the same thing after JM stabbed XF. Gosh, this drama really is a rollercoaster of emotions.

Anyone proficient at Mandarin kind enough to translate this interview ( or even parts of it )? With how much he's smiling, it seems he really admires YZ! :lol: Lord DL in a white button-up and blazer is giving me 'punch me I'm an arrogant rich boy' vibes, but his smile is giving me 'pinch my cheeks and call me cute' vibes. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Sary Em said:

But I worry that they may include a SH and XF wedding, different from novel....

Reveal hidden contents

Why is Phoenix hurting my JM....so heartless...but that's ok he will realize this during his redemption arc....so sad for these two.  And yeah for a HEA.

I think that XF does not marry SH. Look at these pictures: 

Spoiler

The first two pictures are the wedding ceremony. Look at the clothes and compare with the second two pictures. They are the same. So I think JM is the one who getting married to XF. 

The wedding

dr4tgnrbntyf0vl0lw7y.jpg

x7v631g9ylonyjb1qi96.jpg

And here they are JM and XF when JM asked  XF that "Is that still possible for us go back to the old days?"

cubqjtp37uztkrhb7rd.jpg

6h5rct3kwzkkz282i0pf.jpg

What do you think about it?

Edited by Pantheragirl
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, tenten0227 said:

Jin Mi did really revive the tree but the problem is that the phoenix flowers' color is wrong mainly because she can't see colors anymore. In her mind, she sees the tree as it was before of course not knowing that the flowers' aren't red. I think she was crying tears of happiness because they're tree came back alive and she can go see Xu Feng. 

@tenten0227,  can you please tell me which episode was it that  JM lost her color vision? I watched up to Ep 54 but didn't notice the part about her color blindness.

I just wanted to drop by to thank everyone on this thread for keeping this thread alive. I really loved this novel and am so proud of how good the cast is doing. I'm really happy with the actors that were brought in for comedic relief. I really love the Fox, Snake, Carrot & Fate immortal.:wub::) They really balance out the angst. 

But, I really feel sad for Kathy Chow though. Although, I really hate her character in the drama I feel sad that ppl were so mean to her IRL. She got so much hate that she had to close her weibo account. I mean she was only doing her job ...... which is to act. And it's heartbreaking that ppl get hate IRL just for simply doing their job. How sad is that? Sighs.:tears::mellow: Here's a link to article if you're interested to know what happened to Kathy.

https://entertainment.toggle.sg/en/entertainment/asianbuzz/article/zhou-hai-mei-ashes-of-love-10666462

For instance Lai Yi was super psycho in The Flame's Daughter and I hated him with a passion. However, I would never dream of going to his weibo and spew hate at him. Another example is Liu Yijun in Fuyao. He made my blood boil and I hated him but I really appreciated his acting. I don't like halfa$$ villains. The more I hated him in that drama the more I acknowledge they casted the right person for that role. After all they are villains and their job is to make us hate them. When they get under your skin that's when you know they did their job right.

I pray that the screenwriters wont deviate too far away from the novel ...... as we are coming to the end of this drama. I wish that they don't add any more useless fillers and then rush the ending. I really hate dramas that are like amazing at the beginning and go to hell in the last part of the drama (I'm looking at you princess agents).

I know that some ppl don't like 10 miles comparisons but I noticed that there are a few things that drama and HSALF have in common.

1. The heavenly royal parents are bata$$ crazy, unsufferable and evil. And 100% the opposite of how I would imagine a heavenly emperor and a heavenly empress to act.

2. The uncles of the main leads (Lian Song *Ye Hua's uncle) and Immortal Yuexia *Xu Feng's uncle) are funny, awesome and lovable.

Sorry for my random TLDR & off topic ranting. I hope you won't be upset with me for my mumbling. Anyways, I'm so grateful to everyone that has been posting vids and sharing their thoughts. I'm looking forward to reading everyone's comments. I hope you all will continue watching this drama until the end. And they can give us novel readers a cohesive and good ending. Can't wait to watch tonight's eps.

@Nudafu

I agree with what you said about Jin Mi & Xu Feng is undergoing the same experience. It's so devastating to see them suffer so much. I can't wait to see them happy again (keeping my fingers crossed that the drama gods will make this happen).

@yclove

She goes colorblind on ep 50 @4:25

Or you can watch the short clips here from a fan w/subs. The subber has a playlist that will complete the story you were asking about.

Credit: to Xu Jiye

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Pantheragirl said:

Hide contents

The first two pictures are the wedding ceremony. Look at the clothes and compare with the second two pictures. They are the same. So I think JM is the one who getting married to XF. 

The wedding

dr4tgnrbntyf0vl0lw7y.jpg

x7v631g9ylonyjb1qi96.jpg

And here they are JM and XF when JM asked  XF that "Is that still possible for us go back to the old days?"

cubqjtp37uztkrhb7rd.jpg

6h5rct3kwzkkz282i0pf.jpg

Spoiler

Only Xu Feng is wearing the same clothes. Jin Mi is wearing a regular plain black dress and the veiled lady is wearing the same embroidered wedding clothes as Xu Feng.

From what I gather, in the novel he was ready to marry Sui He  but then Run Yu brought his army to get a captive Jin Mi back.

It sucks but I think the wedding picture we see is Xu Feng actually going through his wedding ceremony with Sui He. The scene between Jin Mi and Xu Feng probably takes place before the wedding. Maybe another twisted mind game on Xu Feng's part. Run Yu probably crashes the ceremony just before it's completed.

I hope I'm wrong and that it's not Sui He in the picture but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@Nudafu Doesn't Jm get hurt with SH dart when she 

Spoiler

Hides herself as a rock from SH before entering the cave to revive XF. SH felt uneasy that day and threw darts where JM was hiding and she got hit with one

For those of you who watched the newsest episodes raw...

Spoiler

Was Xu Feng really only trying to hurt Jin Mi by saying Sui He's name during the kiss ? I only peeked at the scene but it seemed to me he was completely out of it when Jin Mi left him and really didn't realize it was her. Please, tell me I missed something and that Xu Feng was definitely not dreaming of kissing Sui He.

Also, does anyone know how old Xu Feng and Run Yu are ? Was it ever mentioned in the drama. I remember references of Xu Feng being described as rather young but nothing more precise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, missnymeria said:

For those of you who watched the newsest episodes raw...

Hide contents

Was Xu Feng really only trying to hurt Jin Mi by saying Sui He's name during the kiss ? I only peeked at the scene but it seemed to me he was completely out of it when Jin Mi left him and really didn't realize it was her. Please, tell me I missed something and that Xu Feng was definitely not dreaming of kissing Sui He.

Also, does anyone know how old Xu Feng and Run Yu are ? Was it ever mentioned in the drama. I remember references of Xu Feng being described as rather young but nothing more precise.

Sui He name during kiss part.

Spoiler

I have watched that ep and it seems to not show you if he is really drunk or not while he was kissing her. It seems as if he's really drunk but I think he's faking it to get back at Jin Mi. I think that the screenwriters will go with what the books says about that part. They are gonna wait until Jin Mi dies and when he is confessing his feelings he will say this. Excerpts about that part from the novel translated by onesecondspring.

"That night, I was not drunk... but I pretended I was drunk, hugging you, hugging you tight, having you, you really made me drunk. I was secretly satisfied and wished that this would last forever. As if any hatred between us was only the passing of a cloud, such a thought scared me, made me hate myself, hated that for you I softened my heart until I could give up my life and pride."

"I purposely called Sui He's name, only to remind myself not to be seduced by you. But, once I saw your lonely expression, saw how chaotic your steps were when you left, my heart was in pain, even breathing was painful, I wanted to chase after you and tell you it was not what you thought."

I think they will probably only bring it up then that he was only doing it to make her jealous. But that he was not really drunk. Well it's what I hoping will happen anyways :rolleyes: hehe. I will post a vid of what happened before/ during that part with subs here for you. Enjoy.

The subber has a playlist that will complete the story you were asking about.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Pantheragirl said:

Hide contents

The wedding

dr4tgnrbntyf0vl0lw7y.jpg

x7v631g9ylonyjb1qi96.jpg

cubqjtp37uztkrhb7rd.jpg

6h5rct3kwzkkz282i0pf.jpg

That's what i saw also and looking for a confirmation if Xu Feng did married Jin Mi and I think he did it. But in the novel, there wasn't a marriage ?!!!

• Like 1

okay.. i think i miss out a part.. since when Jin Mi has eye issue? after she revive Xu Feng? 

I think Xu Feng knew that she is the rabbit, don't you all think so?

I think he knew she is there all the while........

1 hour ago, missnymeria said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Only Xu Feng is wearing the same clothes. Jin Mi is wearing a regular plain black dress and the veiled lady is wearing the same embroidered wedding clothes as Xu Feng.

From what I gather, in the novel he was ready to marry Sui He  but then Run Yu brought his army to get a captive Jin Mi back.

It sucks but I think the wedding picture we see is Xu Feng actually going through his wedding ceremony with Sui He. The scene between Jin Mi and Xu Feng probably takes place before the wedding. Maybe another twisted mind game on Xu Feng's part. Run Yu probably crashes the ceremony just before it's completed.

I hope I'm wrong and that it's not Sui He in the picture but I'm not holding my breath.

Spoiler

As I know that XF did not married SU just they has been sent out the wedding invitations because XF told JM that if she did not received any, he can give she one now.

So I think and I hope the wedding ceremony is JM and XF's wedding. :flushed:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mayra83 said:

That's what i saw also and looking for a confirmation if Xu Feng did married Jin Mi and I think he did it. But in the novel, there wasn't a marriage ?!!!

Spoiler

As I know that XF did not married SU just they has been sent out the wedding invitations. 

But I couldn't read the novel yet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, visiopeia said:

okay.. i think i miss out a part.. since when Jin Mi has eye issue? after she revive Xu Feng? 

I think Xu Feng knew that she is the rabbit, don't you all think so?

I think he knew she is there all the while........

Jin Mi eye issue...........

Spoiler

Jin Mi eye issue happen before she revived Xu Feng. Her eyesight is what she had to lose to be able to help him come back to life. Here are some vids with subs of what took place. Enjoy.

The subber has a playlist that will complete the story you were asking about. :)

• Thanks 1