[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost 香蜜沉沉烬如霜

sugarplum892

8 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

Word was they were considering or planning to do it but nothing has been confirmed. If they do it, it probably will be a new cast.

Oh I see

so no season 2 available as yet now..

watching season one up to ep 50 presently so that’s why I enquire if there’s more to come :) 

On 6/29/2019 at 8:28 PM, Fubblez said:

Anyone has full version of this song? Really love this one. Pretty please to share

I bought the official album on google music. It didnt come with the instrumental music. I'd love to know if anyone have managed to find it.

On 1/29/2020 at 5:31 PM, Bojun said:

As parting words I tried watching Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms but I just can't connect with it. The chemistry between the leads seem off for me. I'll probably watch it in the future for the sake of watching but not with the same sense of urgency as Ashes of Love.   

I tried too, but couldnt get into it. I think the characters actions didn't sit well with me. 

I don't know if it will suit you, but I found Love and Destiny, and Eternal Love of Dreams enjoyable. 

Similar to Jinmi, the main female characters may start off as naive, loyal to friends and family, and abit clumsy at times, but they have good character growth along the way. The main male leads are quite different from Phoenix, but the common characteristic is that they will all do whatever it takes to be keep their women safe and fight fate.

11 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

I tried too, but couldnt get into it. I think the characters actions didn't sit well with me. 

I don't know if it will suit you, but I found Love and Destiny, and Eternal Love of Dreams enjoyable. 

Similar to Jinmi, the main female characters may start off as naive, loyal to friends and family, and abit clumsy at times, but they have good character growth along the way. The main male leads are quite different from Phoenix, but the common characteristic is that they will all do whatever it takes to be keep their women safe and fight fate.

Okay noted. I’ll look up those dramas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I normally do not bother to discuss dramas, but seeing as there’s no other place to digest this beautiful drama, I’ve decided to create an account and share my two cents.

Might I add that I’m so thankful for everyone’s contributions and explanations! It helped me to understand what was going on, and I enjoyed all the many different viewpoints presented. Many of the analyses I agree with, and others not necessarily, but it was interesting because it provided a different light on the subject. For a drama that is quite long, the pacing of the first half was really good. But as others have mentioned, after the midpoint, you start hitting boring fillers, and you will come to find the forward button your best friend. LOL

First and foremost, unlike many of the commenters here, I did not read the novel first so I had no expectation going in. My slate was clean. Right off the bat, I fell in love with the quirky Jin MI, and the aloof but prideful Phoenix. The chemistry between YZ and DL was off the chart!  I attribute that to their great acting skills, but also more so the fact that they both have great off screen chemistry and are probably good friends in real life so this chemistry translated well into the characters they played. YZ appears to be naturally lively and funny, so she definitely added dimension to JM’s character.  I mean, those dimples are so cute! And she’s so expressive with her eyes! DL seems like a nice and earnest actor. He has a way with his eyes as well that capture the emotions of pain and love so well! 

Character Analysis:

Jin Mi: Ah, our little naughty grape. I was quite sad no one talked much about our little grape in the forum. Here was a character that went through so much redemption and growth, but all the attention was on the eye candy leading men… (i must confess,  they do look really good!) But anyways, JM started off as a naive, playful/naughty little sprite who did not know much of the world aside from what she learns through books. She seems to be someone who likes to fool around and have fun to dispel boredom (probably cause she is stuck in a small world and what can a girl do for 5000+ years when stuck in a water bowl?  I’m stuck in quarantine due to the virus for just two weeks and i’m already bored!) She was someone who enjoyed learning (as indicated by her reading tons of books) but at the same time, she had an almost lazy characteristic in which she didn’t particularly like being forced to train/learn. I found her to be endearing and incredibly cute, though at times too naive for my liking, but I will attribute that to the unfeeling pill her mom forced on her. As the story progresses, you can start to see her inner battle of the true self (one’s heart’s desires) vs the unfeeling pill. I thought the drama did great with this by showing naive JM meeting the trapped JM inside the frozen flower dream. It hurt a lot to see this character go from someone naive to someone who was constantly in emotional pain/torment. I mean, the poor girl!  All her life couldn’t feel love, but fell in love so deeply it cracked the damn unfeeling peel. And right when the damn pill finally disintegrates, all she knows from love at the point is the incredible pain! How heartbreaking that must be to come to the realization that you’ve always loved, but that you murdered your soul mate? I can’t imagine the guilt, the pain, the heartache… my poor little grape! You only learned of the painful side of love, but still you were brave and faced it head on. JM’s lesson in all of this: Love is sacrifice. 

Phoenix: This silly bird… who is the God of War, but knew nothing about the battle of love.  In love, he just gives his all, and hides nothing. I loved his character’s aloofness and proud haughty noble self. And yet, beneath that pride, was the most gentle and kind man ever (at least to the woman he loved). How romantic was that scene when he jumped right after JM into the mortal realm when he found out she was in danger?  I adore that he wasn’t smitten by JM with her looks, but that he fell deeply in love as he grew to know her. But of course, perfect as he is, his flaw was his pride, which led to such a tragic end for his character. He didn’t get a chance to redeem and restart over because he held onto his pride. For that, he paid a dear price of regret and pain for like 500 years.  I guess his lesson is: Love is forgiveness.

Night Immortal: I was swooning over this character when we were first introduced to him. I am a sucker for second lead syndrome, and he fit the bill right off the bat.  He was sweet, charming, and yet had a coldness/mysterious side to him. Had this been another story, Night Immortal would definitely be his own leading character. However, as the story progressed, my second lead syndrome grew less, and less.  I found myself building a ship for Phoenix and JM by episode 8 without a care of our little Fish. Everytime he tried to climb aboard that ship, I cursed a bit and attempted to row away faster! (Sorry fans of this character). But Little Fish had such a tragic beginning.  He never knew love… i mean, poor kid’s mom was psycho, and he was constantly threatened by his evil stepmother, and his dad always looked the other way. Yeah, phoenix was kind to him, but in his eyes, it’s probably kindness out of pity. In a sense, it made him like a beggar who had to accept Phoenix’s kindness because he had no choice. I think he truly cared for his brother, but he let his selfish desire overtake that care.  And, i know deep in his heart, he did love JM… except, he didn’t understand love because he never knew love. In the end, he caused his love so much heartache. His lesson in all of this: Love is letting go. 

My favorite scenes: 

1. The whole Mortal Realm arch.  This is where JM truly fell in love with Phoenix, and i just adore how their relationship developed.  I wish this arch lasted longer. Love the mortal XF, and JM because JM wasn’t as dense, and she could actually fall in love.  I especially love the scene when JM finds out crow is the King. The exchange and dialogue in that scene was so funny! I also remember the scene where XF was teasing JM what will she do now that the whole world thinks he has erectile dysfunction.  Will she take responsibility? JM ran out of the room, and said exactly what we all thought, “Why is he so goddamn good looking?” LOL Also, the part where he’s going to battle, and she knows she won’t be able to live and wait for his return… So she reaches up and kisses him.  This was such a beautiful scene, and my heart broke. Might I add that when XF returns and JM is dead… that scene broke my heart into a thousand pieces… 

2. The love making scene right after they come back from the mortal realm.  It was beautifully shot! And I was squealing like a little girl. :)

3. When JM sacrifices herself in the end, and she dies after basically realizing that without love, nothing else matters. 

Novel or Drama?

1. I didn’t like that JM’s character was much colder in the novel.  I much prefer her cuteness and silliness in the drama versus the novel. You can clearly tell she loves Phoenix in the movie, but it’s kinda mix in the novel.

2. The love making scene in the novel was more like rape. I like that in the drama it was consensual.

3. I like the epilogues of the novel. It provided us a better closure than the drama.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

@TheLastBloomwhat an amazing analysis. I loved the Mortal Realm arc. It was a beautiful journey to watch them fall in love. I absolutely broke down when XF found JM after the war and went through with the wedding.

I must acknowledge that the whole crew did a fantastic job. The sets, costumes, actors, music, directing and editing turned this drama into a master piece. I also want to acknowledge Deng Lun's voice.  Omg, I can listen to him talk all day! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Sorry for being late to realise that there is a good drama like ashes of love. I was so boring till i planned to watched this drama and got fall in love. Here is just want to leave few comment after watching all the episode a few things that i dont get the point inside my head. Overall it was a good drama. All the character was so good and succed. I do agreed with some of you said that jinmi character was little bit less attractive. As the actor less beauty and the character acting like childish and kids. At the first of the drama i do agreed and fall in love with relationship of xufeng and jinmi until runyu was appears. I do like runyu as he have a character like me. Such as introvert and mind thinking people. At first sight we can see that runyu also falling in love when first he met jinmi. I think he is not that bad guy. He is just got less love. I just want to know is that what we call love between runyu and jinmi?. I know jinmi was so in love with xufeng. But as you all can see to runyu also get hurts and when ever jinmi go me xufeng. Runyu also got feelings? Is that what we call loved. Runyu also sacrife so much for jinmi he even practice forbiden magic incase to saved jinmi from died. Is that love? Jinmi also sacrifice his life during taking the light of quinying to save xufeng. But runyu also do everything for jinmi. Yes he is so overwhelming with hatred and revenge. But all what he want is jinmi to beside of him. Is that love? I was so hurted watching all the part. Put a side all the revenge and hatred by runyu. Just focus to sacrifice by runyu did for jinmi. Is that love or not? Im crying watching the epidode 58 when finally jinmi know everything was planned by runyu. But if you can think widely what all runyu do is to have jinmi even though he know jinmi never love him. What all he want is just so that jinmi can just be with him. I think runyu was so additc to jinmi and obssed her. Maybe because he is so lonely. So is that love for all the sacrifice doing by runyu for jinmi???? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all! 

I just started watching this not too long ago and I am up to ep. 36. I'm at a pause right now because I feel its only going downhill with lots of sorrow afterwards.

Here  are some of my thoughts so far..

- I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, but I think JinMi was experiencing some hairline cracks in the pill early on. When she fed baby phoenix mouth to mouth - she felt something but she didn't know what it was. When he hurt or was sad, she felt it as well....

- JinMi was always more touchy-feely with baby phoenix than any other person in any of the realms. She was always thinking of him, even if it was just so he could give her some power.. But she even after she formed a friendship with the night dragon, she never asked him for power. 

- Even though the mortal trial wasn't in the book, that is my favorite arc so far, as well as the mutual cultivation scene. (loved it! - lots of beautiful symbolisms! )

But now, after episode 35 (Viki), I'm really irritated with night dragon for what he did to the pill inside JinMi.(yes, I feel bad for everything that has happened in his life, but everything he is doing to JinMi (the lies, the lies so they could get married, etc)  is just wrong. And I know this is just the beginning. ugh!

I've  been reading the comments on here, and I am not at all interested in another CITT situation. Unfortunately, from what I read, this is what happens. smh

So, my question is:

Which episodes can I/should I skip without feeling like I missed something? ...(to get me back to our OTP)

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 7:41 AM, XufengMyHeart said:

I like Phoenix - just because of the extent he goes for his love to Jinmi ! Pls suggest more romantic fantasies like this.

Eternal Love if Dream. Totally addictive just like AoL. But you need to be patient, because the real romance starts at episode 24.

30 minutes ago, j9sshi said:

Hello all! 

I just started watching this not too long ago and I am up to ep. 36. I'm at a pause right now because I feel its only going downhill with lots of sorrow afterwards.

- I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, but I think JinMi was experiencing some hairline cracks in the pill early on. When she fed baby phoenix mouth to mouth - she felt something but she didn't know what it was. When he hurt or was sad, she felt it as well....

- JinMi was always more touchy-feely with baby phoenix than any other person in any of the realms. She was always thinking of him, even if it was just so he could give her some power.. But she even after she formed a friendship with the night dragon, she never asked him for power. 

- Even though the mortal trial wasn't in the book, that is my favorite arc so far, as well as the mutual cultivation scene. (loved it! - lots of beautiful symbolisms! )

But now, after episode 35 (Viki), I'm really irritated with night dragon for what he did to the pill inside JinMi.(yes, I feel bad for everything that has happened in his life, but everything he is doing to JinMi (the lies, the lies so they could get married, etc)  is just wrong. And I know this is just the beginning. ugh!

I've  been reading the comments on here, and I am not at all interested in another CITT situation. Unfortunately, from what I read, this is what happens. smh

So, my question is:

Which episodes can I/should I skip without feeling like I missed something? ...(to get me back to our OTP)

Thanks in advance!

I agree with you, JM definitely felt something for XF from earlier on in the drama. JM, although seemed carefree, she definitely had clear personal boundaries when it comes to other males. JM happily initiate physical contact with XF and never really backed away from his touch. JM was also more aware of XF's needs.

I felt JM was less guarded with XF overall. You can see that she trust him. 

I loved the mortal realm too! I liked how JM was more mature, yet still playful in her own ways.

My gosh, the end of the mortal realm ripped my heart out. The sacrifices they made for each other, made me I feel how much the loved each other.

I fast foeard most of the scenes without XF and JM, and was still able to get the gist of the situation. I did go back to rewatch some of the scenes I missed out later on.

Just prepare a box of tissue. It's going to be an emotional roller coast ride, but well worth it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/4/2020 at 4:31 AM, j9sshi said:

Hello all! 

100%  I think its like episode 6?  where its pretty obvious they like each other, even if JM can't understand it.  

Exactly.  Every time anyone else besides Phoenix got touchy, she was not having any of it.  This was -very- brilliant writing and very nice to see boundary lines being drawn.  

Yeah, unfortunately Night gets far too much airtime unnecessarily, to the detriment of the show.  It definitely could have been done a little less heavy-handed, instead of shoving him everywhere (apparently the writer of the book fell in love with him so she kept adding his scenes - but don't quote me on that, not sure if that's true) I mean I must sound like a broken record since I keep on going on about how I despise this character since he's manipulative & abusive AF.    

Cheese in the Trap? oh like 2nd lead gets a lot of airtime?  yeah, true.  TBH in CITT I hated the ML since I absolutely despise manipulative men.    

So, my question is:

Thanks in advance!

Uh, I wouldn't say any really.  there's a lot of information you'd be missing tbh.  The best thing about this drama is how tight the plot is, how well structured & coherent it is.  (along with being well written)

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2020 at 1:41 PM, XufengMyHeart said:

I like Phoenix - just because of the extent he goes for his love to Jinmi ! Pls suggest more romantic fantasies like this.

I like Phoenix since he's kind, gentle & always there for his friends!  Hes a great character.   

Legend of Chusen 1 & 2 (not heavy on romance though)

The Untamed 

Under the Power

The Eternal Love (not the same as Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms/Eternal Love, which I did not like) but I didn't like the sequel,

are what comes to mind for me.  

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 7:41 AM, XufengMyHeart said:

Love and Destiny

Eternal Love of Dream

Both females leads are positive and have huge character development like JM. Both male leads goes above and beyond for the female leads. 

I think Eternal Love of Dream more romantic and funny.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally Finished it!  I have to say overall, it was a very good drama and worth watching again, even though it really long.  (this is the longest drama I have ever watched)  I think I binged the last 5 or 6 episodes until the wee hours of the morning (daylight). 

On 5/7/2020 at 12:45 PM, bluesytb said:

Uh, I wouldn't say any really.  there's a lot of information you'd be missing tbh.  The best thing about this drama is how tight the plot is, how well structured & coherent it is.  (along with being well written)

I appreciated all of your feedback. You were right, every time I thought I could skip over something, I ended up rewinding it and watching it. The only part I did skip over was Muci and Liu Yung's marriage. It just seemed too heart wrenching, and if I was going to shed tears, I wanted it to be for our main couple. Oh yah, I also skipped over some of that one demon king's shenanigan's. 

Here are a few thoughts on that last arc:  But first, did anyone else feel like Xu Feng just kept getting more and more handsome as the show went on? I don't know if it was the hairdo or what. Like in the beginning, tbh, I didn't feel as attracted to him, (sorry DL fans). But when he first flashed that pretty smile when JinMi started interpreting for him, I started taking notice. (I even rewound to see it again).  By the time he got to be Demon Lord, I was like " He is wearing that black well, with his side swoop and pony tail :wub:" (It also looked like his face slimmed down a little), Anyways, HE LOOKED GOOOD! LOL.  Also, as someone being a fan of facial hair, when we got to see Xu Feng's growing in, I was like "HELLO There!" :love:   I ended up pausing during a couple of those moments just to take it all in!  LOLAM! 

I did enjoy seeing JinMi mature during the show. The mortal trial and her falling in love was definitely, a big part of that. Even when the love pill got repaired, she still wasn't the same. She knew something wasn't quite right with her, but she couldn't figure it out. And it was during this time that you could see how much she was wronged by her mother (even if her mother thought she was doing the right thing). I loved how she said to her mother (at her mom's shrine) that she thinks she should have the right to choose whether she should fall in love or not (or something similar to that) I was like "You go Jin Mi!"

From some of the comments I read, some people were giving JinMi a hard time because she didn't believe Xu Feng when he told her that he did not kill her parents. One thing people needed to remember was that #1, she was grieving, and people can't think straight when they are grieving, especially when all the evidence was pointing to Xu Feng. She couldn't think like him and realize the clues were too easy, so there could have been a frame-up, (like he did for Runyu),  but #2 and this is big, If that love pill would not have been repaired, her love for him (and knowing how much he love's her), would have kept her from believing that he killed them, even if the evidence said so. 

Going to the part where JinMi kept going to him in the Demon Realm:  I'm going to make a blanket statement here: Guys can be so cruel when they are trying to push someone they still care about away from them. The ultimate was when he used her gift to him to please Sui hui. That was just too much, and too hurtful. 

It was interesting (and good writing) to see the tables turn between them both. She sacrificed so much to save him, and he going to the end of the earth to try and find her primordial spirit. They each had a chance to reflect on each other and their actions. 

I'm just going to say one thing about Runyu, and this is the only thing I would have wished to see play out:  In the end, Runyu was talking about how alone he was. He took Kuanglu's loyalty for granted. If she ever left, then he would truly be alone. And maybe he would have appreciated what he had. Okay,  one more thing regarding the comparing of how they love. I keep going back and forth between if Runyu truly loved JinMi, or was just obsessed with her. Or would it be an unhealthy obsessive love? Because on one hand, he did physically sacrifice a lot of himself for her, (some of it forbidden), on the other hand, he used her like a pawn. ugh! 

Then looking at Kuanglu's love for him. She loved him, and was so loyal that she wanted him to be happy, even if it wasn't her that he chose. I'm having a hard time with that one too. 

The part where Xu Feng and JinMi were reunited for a brief moment and he was crying like a baby...Oh, my heart!:bawling:

I just adore Uncle!:heart:

Again, as I mentioned in the previous post, my favorite part was the Mortal trial arc. Beautifully done. And I usually don't like Romeo and Juliet type endings, but in this one, the ending was so beautiful, but then again, it wasn't the end. I like how he offered his chest for her to lean on as they were outside of their mortal bodies. That whole arc is worth watching again just by itself!  

Though it was long, I have to say, it was a good drama, and I'm glad I stuck with it.  I understand why people keep re-watching it, and I will too at some point.  

Now, going to go back and watch "Under the Power" again. :blush:

• Like 2

On 5/18/2020 at 2:32 AM, j9sshi said:

I did enjoy seeing JinMi mature during the show. The mortal trial and her falling in love was definitely, a big part of that. Even when the love pill got repaired, she still wasn't the same. She knew something wasn't quite right with her, but she couldn't figure it out. And it was during this time that you could see how much she was wronged by her mother (even if her mother thought she was doing the right thing). I loved how she said to her mother (at her mom's shrine) that she thinks she should have the right to choose whether she should fall in love or not (or something similar to that) I was like "You go Jin Mi!"

Yes!  This is why she's such a great character.  I really disliked how some people were so quick to judge her saying she was stupid or w/e.  She's actually quite smart, but very naive since she was literally kept in a bubble away from almost everyone else, & has her true power suppressed.  Despite that, she's well read, learns fast (when she wants to lol) and has a very satisfying arc.   

From some of the comments I read, some people were giving JinMi a hard time because she didn't believe Xu Feng when he told her that he did not kill her parents. One thing people needed to remember was that #1, she was grieving, and people can't think straight when they are grieving, especially when all the evidence was pointing to Xu Feng. She couldn't think like him and realize the clues were too easy, so there could have been a frame-up, (like he did for Runyu),  but #2 and this is big, If that love pill would not have been repaired, her love for him (and knowing how much he love's her), would have kept her from believing that he killed them, even if the evidence said so. 

Exactly!  

Going to the part where JinMi kept going to him in the Demon Realm:  I'm going to make a blanket statement here: Guys can be so cruel when they are trying to push someone they still care about away from them. The ultimate was when he used her gift to him to please Sui hui. That was just too much, and too hurtful. 

I agree.  But it's worth noting that every time he tries to hurt JM, he ends up hurting himself, almost even more. 

The way I see Phoenix's character is that pretty much from the first moment he appears on screen, he's shown to be very protective of himself.  (think back to when he awakens in JM's hut & threatens her since he doesn't know who she is or what happened or how he got there - but backs off when he sees she's scared)  So his mind, when he's been stabbed in the back  (and it was somewhat premeditated) & was killed by JM, his most loved & trusted person, (who said straight to his face that she never loved him) he's left shattered .  He's operating under the assumption that JM never loved him & that she actually likes RY.  He thinks both of them completely set him up intentionally.  Not only that, but he loses both of his parents (which he learns were awful people) & has lost everything he's ever known. 

So to me, when we're around the time of XF using JM's gift, yes it was too much, I agree - but Phoenix is a mess and part of him is being swayed by JM - you can see he questions whether or not she's telling the truth, and part is him like dude she killed me, & loves my bro & theyre going to set me up again. (& part of it is pride i believe)            

It was interesting (and good writing) to see the tables turn between them both. She sacrificed so much to save him, and he going to the end of the earth to try and find her primordial spirit. They each had a chance to reflect on each other and their actions. 

Yes.  beautifully done

I'm just going to say one thing about Runyu, and this is the only thing I would have wished to see play out:  In the end, Runyu was talking about how alone he was. He took Kuanglu's loyalty for granted. If she ever left, then he would truly be alone. And maybe he would have appreciated what he had.

Exactly.  He never sees all the people in his life who care about him, he only sees JM.   

Okay,  one more thing regarding the comparing of how they love. I keep going back and forth between if Runyu truly loved JinMi, or was just obsessed with her. Or would it be an unhealthy obsessive love? Because on one hand, he did physically sacrifice a lot of himself for her, (some of it forbidden), on the other hand, he used her like a pawn. ugh! 

Then looking at Kuanglu's love for him. She loved him, and was so loyal that she wanted him to be happy, even if it wasn't her that he chose. I'm having a hard time with that one too. 

I feel like RY doesn't know what love is or how to love.  He only has an obsession that says "if I have this person, I will be happy" Whether or not that person feels the same or not, because the only thing that RY thinks about is himself & how he's feeling.  He only saves JM out of the fact that he feels that she belongs to him.  He knows she's never liked him, how she recoils from his touch.  He's determined to possess her, as an object.

[Idk if you've ever come across a narcissist (with NPD) irl, but those people are scary, they don't/can't love & this is the kind of feeling I get from RY based off of previous experiences.]     

Fwiw I also think KL is obsessed with RL, not in love with him -  I don't think she's narcissistic like RY, but for me personally, liking/loving someone means not putting up with immoral acts like oh IDK  stalking/straight up murder/w/e nonsense RY gets up to.  To me, holding people accountable/being held accountable is a big part of loving.  Not just watching the people you love be horrible.       

The part where Xu Feng and JinMi were reunited for a brief moment and he was crying like a baby...Oh, my heart!:bawling:

There were so many times I cried throughout!  

Now, going to go back and watch "Under the Power" again. :blush:

Let me know what you think!  I really like that one. Great FL, lots of good stuff in it.   

• Love 1

On 6/7/2019 at 3:28 PM, jasminssiii said:

I just finished watching the drama and I know I'm so late to this but I just want to voice out my opinion. I know why people hate Runyu but I don't think Xufeng was also a good character throughout the show. Yes Runyu's actions were bad but I understood it. He was actually a voice of justice and I'll tell you why below. I really liked Xufeng from the start but I somehow lost it along the way because of the reasons I will state later. The only wrong thing Runyu did was about his obsession with Jinmi it all started from that but I don't hate him for wanting revenge. If it wasn't for him those innocent people that were killed by the empress will never get justice as nobody would go against her. He just wanted a peaceful life but the empress kept pushing him to the edge. He didn't revolt just for his mom but because he was moved to do so after discovering the injustices the emperor & empress committed. In my opinion it was silly to keep evaluating Xufeng as the "true" good guy when xufeng very well KNEW the injustices done by his parents. He knew his mom was controlling Muci in the first 1/3 of the series and he just told his mom be careful not to get caught like come on he was already an accomplice at that point & didn't do anything just because she is his mom. People keep saying that it's not Xufeng's fault for being born to his parents but it's his fault in turning a blindeye to all the shitty & evil stuff his parents did unless jinmi is involved. Like Runyu literally announces all their evildoings during his wedding ceremony & Xufeng was like "ya but sorry bro they're our parents uwu :'( I apologize to you so please spare them from literally killing your grandpa, uncle, mom, jinmi's mom, aunt, & dad, wiping out the entire water tribe, diminishing jinmi's dad power, forcing water god and wind god into a sham marriage and etc. how about that my bro? Fist bump like the old times? lol" I'm watching this show and asking the writer..do you really want me to support Xufeng and see Runyu as the bad guy? like really?. That being said I really wished Runyu stopped obsessing over Jinmi when he knew very well she didn't love him. I really loved the saint girl and king yi relationship and love story but I wasn't into jinmi and xufeng's relationship in the later episodes. Xufeng could have prevented a lot of jinmi's richard simmons if he stoop up against his parents & suihe instead of turning a blindeye and actually Runyu saved jinmi much more than phoenix if you really analyze the show. So yeah I just really wanna say that you can hate runyu all you want but I want you to realize that Xufeng wasn't all that great and innocent of a man/god/character either. 

I would like to add few point from my perspective:

1. XF never fell in love with JM at first sight in-fact, XF bullied JM by turning her into a chair and etc etc stuff as long as XF does anything its fine. XF gradually fell for her after so much push by the Moon Immortal and Moon Immortal also made JM wear pretty dresses in order to Seduce XF. Whereas, RY liked JM from the very first meeting which is also without getting pushed by some random 2nd party.

2. Before going to mortal realm JM had those heart stroke but that is something we know as viewers but not JM herself or RY or XF. If her love was so great then why she wasn't having those heart strokes when she accepted the engagement or when she told XF to stay away. That means her love wasn't strong enough to overcome the effect of the pill. XF also knew that RY loves her, so when she accepted RY why XF didn't leave her alone isn’t that called being GREEDY? Just bcoz RY had eyes for JM so he should forget about what RY feels at-least he could have asked RY what he wants? but no its was never about what RY feels its always about what XF wants.

If RY knew that XF love JM then XF also knew that RY loves JM where else JM had no feelings for any of these guys. And RY had no idea about the pill initially, he gets to know about that when he realised that he himself was under the pill effect which was after meeting his mom.

3. XF went after JM in the mortal realm was the lamest thing ever, XF did that to save her from his mom but it was RY who actually saved her, then why in the world XF did that. Also, after going to mortal realm XF won't remember a thing about saving her then what's the use, that's why he asked moon immortal to tie him up with JM. Reason being Moon immortal is a “FATE DEITY” who can Manipulate fate of any couple in mortal realm, so he used his power to make XF and JM a couple which affected her pill otherwise she would be married to RY. Further, nobody punished XF for interfering in JM redemption bcoz everyone is biased towards him.

Had it been RY who followed JM in mortal realm instead of XF then she was bound to fall in love with RY but then the que will be, will moon immortal do the same thing for RY?? I believe not bcoz Moon Immortal is biased towards XF, many do like his character as funny but he is such a cunning fox which makes him worse.

4. XF lived with RY for thousands of years but in those many years he couldn't figure out why his mother was so ruthless towards RY, neither he ever stood up for RY like he does for JM. XF felt guilty and sorry for what his mom did to RY but in the end he took away the last piece of his happiness. Its said that if someone does something evil they r called evil (Empress) and if the other person keeps on taking all the injustice then it gives courage to the abuser (RY in this case) is also wrong and the one who watches everything like a bystander is even worse then how come he will get a different ending then the main culprit (XF).

5. When RY mom got killed instead of being there as a supporting pillar to RY, they both were making out which was so CHEAP and DISGUSTING that too while RY was mourning for his mom who was killed by XF’s mom. Plus, at that time RY was still her fiancé and XF was her brother in law. And after that night XF came to see RY and told him that he is willing to give up the throne if RY let JM go, didn’t XF valued JM equivalent to the throne i mean BARTER Exchange where he can take JM in return of giving up for throne (Heads i win and tails u lose). I have heard that love is priceless but XF does know how to price JM. At this point I realized what RY meant about XF always gives up on the thing which he wanted not what RY wanted.

7. JM is no different from XF after realizing about the pill, she never tried to find out why she had that pill and the reason behind it. But she is just too busy with obsessing and stalking XF. RY was always there for JM, saved her multiple times specially in the most crucial times where she could have died and never to be born again. Also, he not only took care of JM but also helped floral realm and fulfilled the duties of water immortal too, as JM was too busy to stalk XF and faint all the time which made her forget about her responsibilities. At-least for what RY had done so far for JM, she can show a bit of consideration and respect towards RY. Damn i have never been so annoyed by lead characters so badly.If RY wanted, he could have told JM about the truth behind his Mother’s death and after hearing that I’m sure though it won’t matter to her but if she has a bit of filial piety towards her parent, she won’t be able to live in peace.

JM is not completely innocent or naïve either, she can do anything when it comes to saving XF, Yan Yu or her frnd Rou Rou and including extortion of cultivation but knows how to neglect RY. JM is so smart enough to trap the empress and  trying to revive XF doesn’t seems like so simple of her. So, weird that JM does know that a woman has to get married but she doesn’t know the difference between a man and a woman. She can do everything to find out about the truth behind the dream she saw but never did a thing to find out what XF and Moon immortal did with her.

8. To be precise I have never seen such double-faced hypocrite lead characters they are much grayer and eviller than RY. I pity JM who thinks that she chose XF out of her own free will but its not, she was manipulated into it by Moon immortal and XF so, who is the real manipulator and planner?? Had it been RY who had died instead of XF then do u think anyone would care about reviving him, I guess not they probably won’t even remember him.

9. Its so weird that RY is some kind of dumping ground that anyone can throw random things, why the war is RY fault? Wasn’t that occurred becoz of Demon princess as she supported her father’s competitor for XF’s revenge? And all that bcoz she believes that it was XF who saved her father but in reality it was RY who actually talked to emperor about saving her father but they directed XF to resolve the matter instead of RY after Moon immortal suggested to the emperor that they should let XF go. It’s similar to what JM did in the confrontation scene, she blamed RY for everything which wasn’t true. RY was blamed for hiding his feelings well isn’t that’s the way he is raised not feel, wish, say, expect, show and do anything out of his own free will bcoz it might get him killed.

And neither I would say that RY was obsessed with JM if he was obsessed then why would he save JM by sacrificing half of his life span knowing that it was a forbidden spell and he might loose his status as Emperor and going to mortal realm in order to ask JM if she is happy? I know he locked her up but JM was acting like a mad person always getting herself hurt severely and RY who is always looking after her and saving her by wasting his cultivation on her. Many said he is just like his father but then didn’t XF even crossed his own father in terms of that.

If JM had nothing to do with RY then after killing XF why she still stayed in the heavenly realms, she could have gone back to Floral realm but no she didn’t bcoz she is well aware if she gets in trouble its RY who will save her no matter what.

Many might have cried for XF and JM while watching this show but i never did not for XF and JM at least, i only felt bad for what RY has to go through and how everyone who claimed to be a brother or frnd or uncle ruined him more than what empress and emperor did.

I know RY did made few mistakes but I completely understand him so, I don’t blame him but i will always feel bad bcoz he killed that watch guard who was innocent. The reason i don't blame him bcoz after watching so many C-drama i can say RY is still far better than so many Protagonists who are even worse than him that's why for me he is the best character in AOL and he was the only reason I could finish it up. RY did took revenge but it wasn't for himself but it was for all the innocent lives which has been taken away by the emperor and empress to save themselves including Fish Tribe, Su Li, and other factors. 

Following something is Good but blindly following it is Stupid.

Edited by tsukushi makino