[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost 香蜜沉沉烬如霜

sugarplum892

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 9:57 AM, Lai'er said:

Don't know if my comment's gonna get an answer but based on other people's interpretation of the book, did Xu Feng actually become promiscuous upon his ascent to Demon Lord? I know later on when he was speaking to himself and Jin Mi was listening in as a teardrop, he said he called out Sui He's name to hurt her but actually "[...]I wanted to chase after you and tell you it was not what you thought" (chapter 24.2, paragraph 4)*. But that's only for Sui He. Did he actually fornicate with the other demon women? "[...]sometimes I can see beautiful seductive demon maidens holding him from left and right as he entered the inner hall, in the dark of the night, he would walk out with his face blissful and his robes untidy..." (chapter 21.3, last paragraph). I know the drama Xu Feng didn't, and honestly I like him a lot better for that but considering how volatile and cruel book Xu Feng is, I feel like casual sex isn't something he wouldn't stoop to in order to hurt Jin Mi back. Just put this comment over here in case anyone cares to answer because embarrassingly enough, this doubt has kept me up at night for the past 3 weeks :'), reading the book after the drama was a mistake.

*citations from OneSecondSpring translations

I am curious too ... can somebody answer?

I also have a question, after their marriage in demon realm, after they reconciled, before the war there was a scene where Jinmi fell asleep. Did they consummate their marriage?

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there is updated novel translations for the new Epilogues the author added? I know one story was the one which was broadcasted but I’m skimming through the novel and there seems to be a chapter where they had a daughter too called Mi Huang, but my chinese is not sufficient to read it fully. Link below: 

https://m.99lib.net/book/9193/328040.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I"m definitely very late for party but hoping my questions will still be replied to. We discovered Ashes of Love slightly over two weeks ago in Netflix. We don't know why but Netflix has recommended it many times but we were giving it a past until that fateful day when we finally decided to watch it. We've always like fantasy especially fantasy involving gods and had no idea that Ashes of Love was one. This is our first time watching c-drama and we were definitely not disappointed. Me and my wife had no prior knowledge that it was based on a book nor were we aware of the various "dramas" that apparently occurred during filming. I believe this was for the best because we had no expectation how the drama was supposed to run. Overall we are very satisfied with the drama but we did notice some of the supporting characters seem to have too much screen time. I will not comment on this as this has been discussed too many times already. I'm surprised people are saying Yang Zi is not fit to play the role of JinMi because she is not beautiful enough. I've checked out how all the actresses in the drama looks like in real life and while one or two might be considered more beautiful than Yang Zi, IMHO they will not fit the role of JinMi. Yang Zi's facial features, sunny disposition and overall charisma are perfect for JinMi and combine that with her acting prowess and we have a winner. Another thing I liked was the very strong on screen chemistry between Yang Zi and Deng Lun. My favorite episodes were 60 to 63. The emotional ride was almost too much and almost brought me to tears. JinMi's marriage escape, the revelation of true love via the heart changing stone, the lets make a fresh start moments, JinMi's death (the scene of everyone crying in the Floral realm was painful) , Xufeng's suffering and quest to find JinMi's primordial spirit, the Floral Fairies commanding all the plants to assist in finding JinMi's primordial spirit, Xufeng's joy and pain again after JinMi materialize from his tear and dies again and the Floral realm's sadness on failing to secure JinMi's primordial spirit. The ending was satisfactory but even one JinMi Xufeng moment would have made it better. 

Most of my questions have been answered after reading all 83 pages of this thread but I have a few more questions and thoughts.

1. Is the Elder Demon similar in position and power to Lord Doumu? Lord Doumu seem like a higher level god in the Heavenly realm.

2. What is the significance of the pendant that the old man (later found to be the Elder Demon) in the mortal realm gave Liaoyuan? Liaoyuan died without even using the pendant to obtain the favor(?) on the old man. Honestly the giving of the pendant does not make any sense to me and I'm thinking could this have anything to do with the changes in the script that was somehow overlooked?

3. I noticed a continuity error in the cave scene when JinMi successfully resurrected Xufeng. JinMi's tear fell on Xufeng's cheek but JinMi's was already sitting near Xufeng's stomach.

4. People have debated on the rightness and wrongness of Xufeng bringing JinMi into the battle and someone gave a couple of scenario's on what could potentially happen. I would like to add another one. Xufeng leaves JinMi in the safety of the palace but decides later on to go to the battlefield and subsequently die. I believe regardless of the scenario JinMi is fated to die and in my opinion Lord Doumu gave JinMi the essence ashes because she already knows that JinMi will sacrifice herself to stop the war. What is the point of giving JinMi the essence ashes to remove the so called "doom" if her supreme act does not stop the war? If Xufeng dies and she kills herself then what happens to their love story? I guess people will say if it is the will of heaven then at a certain place and certain point in time they will meet again. But that is another story right? 

I'm in the process of re-watching the drama to make sure I did not miss any detail. This time I will skip the episodes I did not like. As parting words I tried watching Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms but I just can't connect with it. The chemistry between the leads seem off for me. I'll probably watch it in the future for the sake of watching but not with the same sense of urgency as Ashes of Love.   

7 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

@Bojun How many episodes of Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms did you watch until? The ML and FL do not meet in the early episodes. The tempo picks up after the first 10 episodes.

@bluehibiscus So far I only reached episode 4. Admittedly they already showed a few interactions between the ghost tribe 2nd prince and the lady kunlun disciple but for me it does not have the same feel with the initial Xufeng-JinMi ones. One thing I noticed though was that both guys saw thru the gender masking magic on both girls. As I said I will watch it in the future but am currently re-watching Ashes of Love. I’m not a chinese speaker so the first time I watched the drama I was concentrating on the subs before but now I’m watching the scenes more closely and realized I don’t recall seeing them the first time around. Case in point I didn’t know Suihe also saw JinMi as a guy until Xufeng removed the prowess suppression hairpin. 

Edited by Bojun

@Bojun No I think it will be a spoiler if I tell you this. That guy you watched up until ep 4 is not the main lead. Main lead is Ye Hua. He doesn't appear until 8th ep or so. You have to be patient for a few more eps to get to the good part. Hahaha. But I'm sure you will like TMOPB too. Anyways I love it when new people find Ashes of Love. Such a powerful drama that made me cry and laugh. It was a rollercoaster ride. I rewatched it atleast like 5 times. Lol.

37 minutes ago, kokodus said:

@Bojun No I think it will be a spoiler if I tell you this. That guy you watched up until ep 4 is not the main lead. Main lead is Ye Hua. He doesn't appear until 8th ep or so. You have to be patient for a few more eps to get to the good part. Hahaha. But I'm sure you will like TMOPB too. Anyways I love it when new people find Ashes of Love. Such a powerful drama that made me cry and laugh. It was a rollercoaster ride. I rewatched it atleast like 5 times. Lol.

@kokodus ah good to hear that! No wonder there was no chemistry between them lol. Okay I will definitely give it another go after Ashes of Love. Still can’t get over JinMi/Yang Zi. 

• LOL 1

7 hours ago, Bojun said:

@kokodus ah good to hear that! No wonder there was no chemistry between them lol. Okay I will definitely give it another go after Ashes of Love. Still can’t get over JinMi/Yang Zi. 

But there were shippers for Mo Yuan and Bai Qian too. But I can't see them as anything else beyond teacher-student. 

I know it's hard to get over Xu Feng/Jin mi's amazing chemistry. Never gets bored even after rewatching a million times. Try rewatching in Viki with timed comments on, people there were hilarious. Viki also has better subs. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, kokodus said:

But there were shippers for Mo Yuan and Bai Qian too. But I can't see them as anything else beyond teacher-student. 

I know it's hard to get over Xu Feng/Jin mi's amazing chemistry. Never gets bored even after rewatching a million times. Try rewatching in Viki with timed comments on, people there were hilarious. Viki also has better subs. 

Maybe because they were portrayed by the same actor. 
I know you can’t really compare k drama to c drama but I thought Manwol and Chansung’s chemistry Hotel del Luna was good but JinMi and Xufeng’s blow them out of the water.

Btw I read that only the voices of JinMi, Xufeng and Runyu were the real voices of the artist and the others were just voiced by voice artist. Is that the norm for c drama? I mean do they film without sound?

• Like 1

@Bojun Yes they always dub the voices in all C dramas, very rarely you get to hear the real voices of the actors it's because China is a huge country with lots of different accents and slangs. Ashes of Love is one rare drama where atleast the three main leads didn't have dubbed voices. Usually it's not the case. 

10 hours ago, Bojun said:

Btw I read that only the voices of JinMi, Xufeng and Runyu were the real voices of the artist and the others were just voiced by voice artist. Is that the norm for c drama? I mean do they film without sound?

Even if they record sound on set, the quality is not always going to be good enough and requires dubbing over post production so the artistes have to set aside time in their schedules to do it, which may not always be possible. It is also common for lines/names to be changed perhaps due to the censor’s feedback which necessitates dubbing. In addition, the accent and clarity of pronunciation can be an issue for some artistes (artistes from different parts of China have different accents, artistes from HK usually speak their lines in Cantonese and back when Korean actors were allowed, they spoke their lines in Korean). Deng Lun usually does his own dubbing. For Yangzi, this was her first time if I remember correctly.

@Bojun Welcome to the club! I was late for the party as well, but earlier than you. LOL! I really thank Netflix for introducing me to this drama. It was such a gem to watch. And even if I have watched it multiple times too, not including my fave scenes only, I still can't over it until now. Hehe. If only they can have another drama in the future, who knows... 

5 hours ago, starry58 said:

@Bojun Welcome to the club! I was late for the party as well, but earlier than you. LOL! I really thank Netflix for introducing me to this drama. It was such a gem to watch. And even if I have watched it multiple times too, not including my fave scenes only, I still can't over it until now. Hehe. If only they can have another drama in the future, who knows... 

Same here we discovered Ashes of Love thru Netflix. I’ve been downloading my favorite episodes for future rewatching hehe. Funny I somehow missed their first ‘kiss’ in episode 6 when JinMi tricked Xufeng and gave him a kiss to feed him ganoderma. 

15 hours ago, kokodus said:

Hi @kokodus You mentioned rewatching in Viki. Is that a free site? I’ve been looking for a couple of Yang Zi dramas not in Netflix. Are Destiny of the White Snake and Noble Aspirations there?

9 hours ago, Bojun said:

Hi @kokodus You mentioned rewatching in Viki. Is that a free site? I’ve been looking for a couple of Yang Zi dramas not in Netflix. Are Destiny of the White Snake and Noble Aspirations there?

You can subscribe to Viki by paying a certain amount, you can also watch it for free, but the difference is that you will not have to sit through ads if you pay for the subscription. Certain dramas are restricted in certain regions. It's exactly like Netflix. Both the above dramas you mentioned are available in my region. Go Go squid is her most recent drama, I heard it's quite good. 

10 hours ago, Bojun said:

Yangzi was very good in Legend of the Dragon Pearl.

6 hours ago, kokodus said:

You can subscribe to Viki by paying a certain amount, you can also watch it for free, but the difference is that you will not have to sit through ads if you pay for the subscription. Certain dramas are restricted in certain regions. It's exactly like Netflix. Both the above dramas you mentioned are available in my region. Go Go squid is her most recent drama, I heard it's quite good. 

Checked out Viki and I was laughing at some of the timed comments. The minimal monthly fee is worth it because those interspersed ads break the flow of watching.  

• Like 1