[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost 香蜜沉沉烬如霜

sugarplum892

I  was saddened to hear that some people didn't think Deng Lun was the right choice for Phoenix. They said his acting was too weak at the guy who plays Night was way better. I personally think Deng Lun' s acting is great! To me he IS Phoenix. The fault lies with the script writers. They failed to flesh out his character. (They also failed Yang Zi as well.) Deng Lun did the best with what little he was given. This reminds me once again of the fantasy cdrama Ice Fantasy. Is Ice Fantasy many complained that Feng Shao Feng was not a good actor and his character Ka Suo  was boring. This was once again the script writers fault. The script writers  made drastic changes to their characters  (Phoenix's lines and plot points going to the secound male lead Night. Ka Suo was unrecognizable they gave his whole personality to the secound male lead Shi.) I feel sorry for the actors they are victims of  bad writing.

• Like 11

I just saw the preview for next episodes and went "FINALLYYYYY!!!!" Sui He gets what she deserves and XF and JM make peace, but we have all been suffering so much these past couple weeks that I made a fan made video about what these two have been suffering. I am finishing the happy video for the happy ending!!!

Do check it out and tell what you think. It's sad but the story has been so sad that I couldn't help making this one first and the happier one second. And as soon as someone translates the preview, post it, please!!!!!

Thanks!!! :blush::kiss_wink:

(PS- I haven't posted videos here for a long time. If it had to be in a hidden content, please tell me that I fix it and won't repeat the mistake)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, baiqian said:

I  was saddened to hear that some people didn't think Deng Lun was the right choice for Phoenix. They said his acting was too weak at the guy who plays Night was way better. I personally think Deng Lun' s acting is great! To me he IS Phoenix. The fault lies with the script writers. They failed to flesh out his character. (They also failed Yang Zi as well.) Deng Lun did the best with what little he was given. This reminds me once again of the fantasy cdrama Ice Fantasy. Is Ice Fantasy many complained that Feng Shao Feng was not a good actor and his character Ka Suo  was boring. This was once again the script writers fault. The script writers  made drastic changes to their characters  (Phoenix's lines and plot points going to the secound male lead Night. Ka Suo was unrecognizable they gave his whole personality to the secound male lead Shi.) I feel sorry for the actors they are victims of  bad writing.

I also agree. Personally, I think DL's acting is great. Maybe because I did not read the novel and did not have a preconceived notion of how Phoenix should act. My assessment is based purely on how he's done with what was given to him and the way he emotes his scenes. As demon lord, each time he says something heart breaking to JM, you can see clearly the agony in his eyes. To me the writers emphasize Phoenix's development and Night's development in two separate directions. Night is portrayed as someone who was wronged by many people and turned evil in order to protect himself. Its interesting to note that whenever something bad happens, he blames others. And that no one is truly loyal to him, except that QL who obviously has it bad for him. On the other hand, both Phoenix and JM are both who look inward and assume their responsibility. And that's who Phoenix is; upstanding and righteous. Instead of hating is mom for doing evil things, he says it was partly his fault for not having corrected her course.  Phoenix's portrayal as Demon Lord is marked about several internal conflicts: 1) the guilt of loving JM while also wanting to hate her because what she did essentially brought demise to his entire family - as he said, no matter who is responsible, brother turned against brother, husband against wife, etc. 2) Phoenix not wanting to even think that the Bird Princess was JM's father's killer. Many people complain that Phoenix is so dim-witted. I don't think he's dim-witted;  He just doesn't know what to do if he were to admit the truth. Bird Princess, after all, helped keep him alive and was with him when he had absolutely no one. Phoenix has written as someone who despite his accomplishments on the battlefield is a person who treats everyone with a lot of heart - and this explains why people are loyal to him, vs. Night. I would seriously have a problem with Phoenix if he were to treat Bird Princess coldly or immediately suspects her. I think as Demon Lord, he is still pretty lost. He's lost the love of his life, his parents, his status....essentially, his body is alive but his heart is still dead. JM's death needs to happen in order for him to really be reborn. 

Please don't hate me if my analysis differs from yours. Like I said, I did not read novel and just looking at drama as it is. 

• Like 15
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, baiqian said:

If it makes you feel any better, people on weibo thinks that Denglun pretty much walked out of the novel and he was the saving grace of a weakly written character. And I can assure you his fanbase grew because of the drama and many became his fan because of this show as well. 

I'm not too sure where you're reading those comments from but as someone that read the novel/chinese native speaker, I couldn't ask for any other actor to reprise the role as XF.

Honestly, I can't picture any other actors as Phoenix because Phoenix is said to have  Dan feng yan (the same type of eyes Denglun has) and the way he speaks felt very Phoenix to me :P It's very 傲娇 (tsundere).

That being said, I do think that Deng lun still have room for improvement in acting. His acting method and Leo are of different types as well. But do note that both of them are starring opposites with Yangzi whose a veteran in acting. She's in the industry since she's 11. So it's only natural to be lead on by her in some scenes.

All in all, Yangzi and DL chemistry is just off the charts. Many fans of the show is hoping they'll pair up together in future dramas and they couldn't ask for a better XF/JM. :D

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

If only Night was as playful and silly like shown in today's episode when Pu Chi Jun faked be him, I would've loved him more. It was so cute seeing him like that even though it wasn't really him. Too bad that wasn't how his character was created to be like. lol It's a pity that they made his character more evil and obsessed with JM in the drama. I can't think of a way he can redeem himself, to make me as a viewer think his ending is justifiable. Maybe it's just me but I didn't feel sad for the floral realm people when Night attacked them. It's partially their fault for believing Night was such a great and nice man that they kept pushing him onto JM and forcing her to stay away from XF. I mean, it's not their fault for not knowing either but just saying, karma.

I'm so excited for the marriage scene and just the ending. We're literally 4 episodes away from the ending and there hasn't been a single OTP scene the last 3 episodes. It's really making me depress since there's still more to uncover and one scene literally takes up like the entire episode. lol I don't agree with what all 3 characters have done as they all played a part of what took place and were at fault too, but I do understand and pity them three. Aside from them, Uncle Moon and PCJ are the true MVP. I wish I had a friend like them, especially PCJ. I really admire his love, care and loyalty to JM. He's truly the greatest friend she could ever ask for. 

I believe all three are playing their characters really well. Heck, even the whole cast has been doing great portraying their characters. DL plays an amazing Phoenix. He has expressive eyes, which I love it when actors can express through their eyes. That's already talent right there. lol I love Leo as Night. He really suits this type of role. He is doing a great job displaying a hurt yet "cruel" person. You know they're good when you can't help it but to really hate their character. I still like Night and pity him to an extent, but he hasn't been on my good side lately. lol Yang Zi is cute as JM. She's doing great so far as I can feel the pain the undergoes every time. Or am I just too emotionally invested that I feel everyone's pain now? lol 

Ah, just waiting for that happy ending now 'cause i'm tired of them breaking my heart all the time. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jackie Zhou said:

Here is the preview of the wedding swap :)

I thought it was going to be today's episodes that it's the swap, but it's tomorrow. Ai-yah! I can't wait, everything is going to get revealed tomorrow. 

I'm sorry, but SH deserves not being able to marry Phoenix. It's alike after all this, you are still evil and cannot change. She was always evil and will always be. I mean she didn't even change to become better in the underworld realm, but instead she does more evil stuff, therefore, that's what you deserve. Phoenix will never love you.

So we are not ending at 60 episodes, then? Because the preview says 60 and 61.

• Like 2

The backhug scene + a little more b4 it

In this scene JM tries to give XF the plant, which he needs. But he say that he doesn’t want to take it. And JM really wants him to take it. XF basically say that “You think acting like this will repay for all the wrong things you’ve done?” (Ughhh XF you're going to regret this). *JM releases/drop the plant and walks away* XF then tells her to stop, and say “Do you know how much I hate you?” JM nods her head and say she knows, “I’m sorry”. XF responds “However, I hate myself more. I’ve been hating myself even until now because I couldn’t forget you” JM replies, “XF, can we go back like before?”

XF: We can’t do that anymore. We can never go back anymore. 
*Back hugs*
XF: Maybe, we can start from the beginning. :wub::wub:

Hopefully he takes the plant to cure himself......

XF: You're not here anymore.

XF: I don't have anymore reasons to live.
40551408_1075721005941667_85365012259930

• Like 4
  • Sad 6

Okay, I'm not really okay with the repeat of this event..

Like I get it. SH was evil and she let her obsession for XF caused her to make bad choices but this is NOT the way it should end for her. In the novel,

Spoiler

she gets imprisoned. @Mau_CherryThank you! :)

BUT I'm sure the actual writer would have never incorporated this scene. It doesn't seem like her writing style for her characters to end up this way, even if they are a minor character.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, angel318 said:

Okay, I'm not really okay with the repeat of this event..

Like I get it. SH was evil and she let her obsession for XF caused her to make bad choices but this is NOT the way it should end for her. In the novel,

Hide contents

she dies... but I can't remember how..

BUT I'm sure the actual writer would have never incorporated this scene. It doesn't seem like her writing style for her characters to end up this way, even if they are minor.

In the novel...

Spoiler

was only a sidenote in the end that SH was imprisoned. I can´t recall any scene in which she died.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mau_Cherry said:

In the novel...

Hide contents

was only a sidenote in the end that SH was imprisoned. I can´t recall any scene in which she died.

Someone in another forum said that XF actually does not know SH had imprisoned the two princes there. I remember a few episodes prior that XF asked her let the princes go and she said yes. She then behind his back imprisoned them there. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dashmount20 said:

Thanks for the spoiler. 

So ep 60 -61 is the wedding. 

62 battle. 

63 revive, wedding and baby.. 

I need more love dovey ep..

I do wish the battle happens early in episode 62. My anxiety stems from how little time we have left.

I love everyone's response to my question. 

My perception did change and I agree with most that Phoenix suffered more. His suffering is reactive, as a result of what was done to him. Of course, excluding purposely hurting Jin Mi. And that boomeranged back to him.

The addit of the wedding and the stone are ingenious. We won't really know if it came from the production team or writer nor do I care at this point, but it does plague the mind at what could have been had they invested more in this type of storytelling. No point in crying over spilled milk I suppose. Don't get me wrong, I still think this was a well executed adaptation. Plan to rewatch this in a month and will see how I react to it then. Watching live has its torments.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, dramacraze9006 said:

Rough Translations of the wedding scene. Sorry some stuff I just really can't think of the words to translate to english hahahaha ^^ Sorry for mistakes! 

Love this scene :wub:

Reveal hidden contents

*the bride and groom bow to each other* 

Moon: The ceremony is done!

Guy: Wait. The underworld tradition, when getting married, must do a testing.

Moon: How does the test work?

Guy: Just need the groom and bride to both give a drop of blood to drip down to the stone (whatever you call this stone?) If the two people really love each other, the stone will change color. **While he’s saying this they do just that and the stone change to red**

Moon: Look, did you see. This is definitely a pair made in heaven. 

Guy: It seems like the groom and bride really love each other, meant to be with each other(?) (means something like that)

*Flashback*

XF: We’re lucky that it’s night time. If she didn’t switch (the stone). Tomorrow it will be revealed

Demon Princess: How would you know that we wouldn’t pass the stone test huh? *She said it with a reassuring voice, as in she has a way*

*Back to present*

Guy: Congratulations you two!

SH: This is fake. (Somebody name), this is fake. That testing stone is also fake. 

Moon: Wait a sec, you came here to make a mess

Guy: SH princess, you can’t just say something random (Like don’t say something to cause a problem, without fact)

SH: XF, there’s somebody who wants to ruin our wedding. (? don’t really understand this bit basically trying to reason with XF that someone is behind this and it’s fake)

Demon Princess: How can this be fake?

*XF shock to see Demon princess (believed she was the bride)*

XF: Who is she?

Moon: You haven’t done__?___ how could you remove the veil. (? = when the groom goes into the bride room after the ceremony) 

Demon Princess: This testing stone is actually real. There’s is no doubt that it’s real. 

SH: XF, XF you…

Demon Princess: The testing stone has clearly showed your true heart. Don’t lie to yourself anymore.

*XF removes the veil, and sees JM*

JM: Don’t use puppetry to control me anymore!

SH: How could it be you?

Person: Isn’t this the water god? Why is she here to become the great one bride?

Moon: She is really your savior. (Afterward, basically said that SH is a liar)

SH: You’re lying. XF, please believe me. I did so much, there’s no way you didn’t know that right XF?

Moon: __?____. In order to save you, gave up the colors in her eyes to (the guy with the light, forgot name). From now on she can’t differentiate colors. She the daughter of the late Flower goddess!

SH: XF, don’t believe him. XF, the words they say are lies. Don’t you remember how I treated you from the beginning.

XF: I’m sorry. I misunderstood you. **grabs her hand** If you wish, from now on we will be husband and wife. Even when times change, I will always grab your hand, and never leave you. —?—

*JM hugs XF, SH uses that fire spell, but XF counterattack it*

XF: (Name of spell), it really was you.

SH: Seems like you were suspicious of me from early on. 

JM: SH, things have came to this, you still won’t admit that you’re the murderer that killed my dad and aunt?

SH: So what if it’s true? The things I’ve done, isn’t it for you (XF)?

JM: You’re the person who killed my dad and aunt. You harmed XF. Injured snake god. ? Today, (i think she say she must punish for all SH wrong doing)

SH: What’s so great about you? The person who stab XF, wasn’t that you?

JM: Isn’t that you?!? —?—Don’t think of escaping this punishment.

**JM and SH starts attacking each other** 

-ENDS-

XF you can't lie to yourself now, you love JM and JM loves you!!! The stone said so :wub::wub:

Thank you so much for the translation. I also posted your translation on YouTube for that eps preview. I hope that is ok. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I binged watch this drama in like 4 days and I've caught up to the current episode. To say the drama was pretty sad, I cry like a river when Phoenix die ep 45 to the current episode T_T . The actors are well chosen to portray the characters in the drama. I am really satisfied with it. I would rank this C-drama to be #1 to all of the C-drama that I've been watching. I'M LIKE ADDICTED TO IT. I can't wait for the wedding tomorrow. I want to give props to the MOON DEITY tho. I REALLY LIKE HIS CHARACTER AND HIMSELF AS WELL. HE'S SO CUTE AND LOYAL. His acting is so good too. Being Loyal to his Baby Phoenix, Find ways to connect JM with his baby Phoenix and also try help JM resolves all of their misunderstandings. I can't even describe how much I love this drama >...<

• Like 6
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Kimchi Sweet Potato said:

I do wish the battle happens early in episode 62. My anxiety stems from how little time we have left.

I love everyone's response to my question. 

My perception did change and I agree with most that Phoenix suffered more. His suffering is reactive, as a result of what was done to him. Of course, excluding purposely hurting Jin Mi. And that boomeranged back to him.

The addit of the wedding and the stone are ingenious. We won't really know if it came from the production team or writer nor do I care at this point, but it does plague the mind at what could have been had they invested more in this type of storytelling. No point in crying over spilled milk I suppose. Don't get me wrong, I still think this was a well executed adaptation. Plan to rewatch this in a month and will see how I react to it then. Watching live has its torments.

I also feel that the wedding stone is a good addition. From the beginning XF was hung up on the fact that JM said she never loved him rather than the fact that she stabbed him. And no matter how much people try to convince him about JM's love for him it still didn't match up to the effectiveness of the stone. 

If only such stone exist in the heavenly realm then XF wouldn't have gone through so much second guessing about JM's heart. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1