[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost 香蜜沉沉烬如霜

sugarplum892

3 hours ago, Mau_Cherry said:

Preview for tomorrow... they really will let us suffer.... and a friendly reminder what she gave up is inclusive. Her World really lost all colours.. 

A little summary of some scenes of this preview.

Scene- XF attack JM.

XF - If you hurt SH then I will make u disappear(Kill you).

Scene - JM goes to meet XF at the dead realm.

JM tried to apologies and explain to XF that SH knows the fire technic. XF does not believe JM. XF said she is the only one who saved him and was by his side. JM try to tell him SH is not the person you think.

(So sad, JM don’t cry) 

Last scene- XF and SH at the river.

XF ask SH to marry him while JM is listening.

It was a nice touch to have the glass breaking to represent JM heart broken.

I really think that XF does know that JM revive him but he is so hurt and his pride can’t let go of the pain he went through. He wants to make JM suffer just as much as he did. Yet, I don’t blame him but man it’s really sad for JM. 

I think in this eps we will get the scene where she crashes the snow leaf after he give it back to her.

They both get my sympathy bez these poor and tragic immortals can’t explain their misunderstanding. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, vlvl1 said:

SO sad!!!

But, I am a little confuse. He had the pin then why did he threw it and fire ball at JM? 

I am a bit confused too.

So I let myself create a little fan fiction in my head until the subs come out.

I would like to think that the hairpin was conjured accidentally. Because he didn't really want to hurt her but was trying to keep her away from Sui He. His face on the second fall says it all.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vlvl1 said:

A little summary of some scenes of this preview.

Scene- XF attack JM.

XF - If you hurt SH then I will make u disappear(Kill you).

Scene - JM goes to meet XF at the dead realm.

JM tried to apologies and explain to XF that SH knows the fire technic. XF does not believe JM. XF said she is the only one who saved him and was by his side. JM try to tell him SH is not the person you think.

(So sad, JM don’t cry) 

Last scene- XF and SH at the river.

XF ask SH to marry him while JM is listening.

It was a nice touch to have the glass breaking to represent JM heart broken.

I really think that XF does know that JM revive him but he is so hurt and his pride can’t let go of the pain he went through. He wants to make JM suffer just as much as he did. Yet, I don’t blame him but man it’s really sad for JM. 

I think in this eps we will get the scene where she crashes the snow leave after he give it back to him.

They both get my sympathy bez these poor and tragic immortals can’t explain their misunderstanding. 

Thanks! Can you explain what the "neidan" that SH ordered JM to give her is? I'm still confused...

Some random observations about this drama while impatiently waiting for the next episodes....

1* Why do people compare it unfavorably to Eternal Love ? When it comes to add-ons, the ones in EL were super boring for me and made me want to FFW. I was so sick of the whole mess that was the Demon Realm plot. And Sujin's brand of craziness got old really fast. The love story and the main plot were top notch and I loved the drama but I have have to say that I find Ashes to be a better executed drama overall. The add-ons do not bore me and I think they are essential to flesh out the plot. Run Yu needed his backstory and the time spent on the demon princess is essential to pave the way for what will happen in the Demon Realm later. Granted, they could have edited it a bit in order to squeeze in a bit more screen time for Xu Feng but all in all, it doesn't pull the drama completely down. Having been the golden child of Heaven since birth, he did not need a lengthy childhood segment like Run Yu and I felt that we got what was needed when Run Yu was reminiscing about them as children.

2* Does anyone else feel that they skimped on the OST? The main songs are gorgeous and a pleasure to listen to but they are basically the only thing we hear and it has started to get old. I wish the music was more varied.

3* The drama has its flaws but I'm pretty sure its biggest one will be the ending. It's virtually impossible to cover everything there is to cover in a satisfactory manner with the number of episodes they have left. It is often the case in C-dramas and it can leave a bitter after taste. On the plus side, at least we won't have to watch countless episodes of 

Spoiler

Xu Feng repeatedly hurting Jin Mi. I know she committed an unforgivable sin but it is just painful to watch her being tortured in this way. And with the romancing of Sui He thrown in at such a late stage, it will be doubly frustrating. I do hope that Xu Feng is not fooling himself that he can fall in love with Sui He and that he is just doing it to hurt Jin Mi but I'm not holding my breath. I fully own to my double standard here: I know that Xu Feng should just run away from Jin Mi as fast as he can but I just don't want him to even think about another woman. Feeling betrayed and revengeful is justified, trying to move on with another woman is not. Not in dramaland at least ^^

4* I really can't buy what happened during the wedding. Even with 

Spoiler

the unfeeling pill and Jin Me thinking that Xu Feng killed her father and her aunt, I have a hard time believing that her actions are in character. Or maybe it was just that it wasn't conveyed properly on screen. I don't know. I just feel that the Jin Me we've followed from the beginning wouldn't be able to mortally stab Xu Feng when it came down to it. She would have stopped at the last moment or struck in a non-fatal spot. They want us to believe that everything hinges on the unfeeling pill but they shot themselves in the foot. The unfeeling pill prevents her from truly falling in love but it doesn't remove the memories she has of Xu Feng and it doesn't prevent her from feeling affection for people. That's the weakest point in the story, in my opinion. Yes, they did show that Jin Mi was obsessed with getting revenge for her friend Rou Rou and wouldn't hesitate to kill Qiong Qi for it but there's a huge difference between an evil beast with 0 redeeming qualities and a man she's known and liked for years.

5* I'm a sucker for messed-up second leads whose love for the heroine is more along the line of an unhealthy obsession. We all know what Run Yu does to Jin Mi is unforgivable but I think it's perfectly in character for him to do so. She's the one thing that he was allowed to have for his own and he desperately clung to that. He basically made her the reason for his existence and for his subsequent need to have power to protect her. I loved that the drama started with him on Xu Feng's side even with millenia of abuse and contempt of heaped on him. It's only when he's forcefully confronted with tragedy that he goes off the rails. And I for one think he was justified in his revenge plot. From a purely calculating point of view, he did everything right to protect himself and the ones he loved. It was killed or be killed. Yes, he was ruthless but his adversaries were no less so. Of course there's no real way out for him after having

Spoiler

killed Xu Feng. It had to be done but it'll haunt him all his life. In a way, it would have been more fitting for Xu Feng to remain truly dead so that Run Yu would feel even more remorseful.

6* I just love the gorgeousness of the drama. From the splendid set and costumes to the pretty decent CGI, everything is pleasing to the eye. And the actors are great as well: gorgeous and talented. Shallow but it does help :) 

7* Continuity has been pretty good so far in this drama and even little plot points have their own resolution. I especially liked the bit where Moon Immortal mentions that Run Yu has

Spoiler

sent the mortal fate lady to the mortal world for her redemption as a punishment for the fate she had created for Jin Mi in earlier episodes. Boy will not let any single wrong done to him unpunished and it shows how deeply hurt and affected he was by the mortal love story between Jin Mi and Xu Feng.

I firmly believe that he truly loves her but his love is of the selfish, destructive kind. Xu Feng's love is pretty selfish as well, albeit less destructive (before the Demon realm that is). He would never have given Jin Mi up or let her marry Run Yu. Like Run Yu, she was the only thing he couldn't let go of. And I do love me some obsessed MLs, even if I would run away from them in real life. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kimchi Sweet Potato said:

I am a bit confused too.

So I let myself create a little fan fiction in my head until the subs come out.

I would like to think that the hairpin was conjured accidentally. Because he didn't really want to hurt her but was trying to keep her away from Sui He. His face on the second fall says it all.

Oh yes - let us imagine the scene the way we like it - actually me feeling now was - the feather belongs to JM - and its knows it. The reason for the feather is to protect the one Phönix loves - and thats still JM - and only her. Even he tried hard to fight against his own heart... the feather still knows the truth and in the moment Phönix throw the fireball - the feather protected its owner. So this thing never betrayed Phönix - but it shows him his real feelings (even he will not like to see it). But hey - thats just my fantasy...

• Like 6

Dang, today's episode got me emo. lol All main leads basically reaped what they sowed. 

Deng Lun, I mean, Phoenix looks soooo darn hot as the demon lord. Black really looks good on Deng Lun. I love it when he's just laying there on the chair drinking whatever he's drinking. Oh man. He looked yummy! LOL 

I must be the only one but I absolutely love it when the main male lead makes the main girl jealous due to the hurt she caused him - vice versa too. Maybe I just love angsty drama in dramas. lol I feel for all characters. It pained me to see Jin Mi hurt from XF's rejection and cold shoulders, but I don't blame XF for acting that way toward JM either. It's a shame that we didn't get the 2nd mutual cultivation but it's whatever. I still enjoyed today's episodes, but I am more excited for tomorrow's episodes. I know we don't have much episodes left, and it breaks my heart that we're only getting so much scenes of OTP left. I can feel it in my bones that the last few episodes are going to be quite rushed and choppy from the looks of it. It's a pity that this drama could've been the one had they not dragged it a bit. Sigh. Nonetheless, it's still a great and enjoyable drama. :)

I just realized that Yang Zi is like 16 days younger than Deng Lun. This is so rare for a lot of co-stars to only be that far apart in age from one another. What kind of fate or drama is this? LOL 

Oh, the part when JM tried to restore the phoenix flower tree was so heartbreaking. Because she lost her sight to see colors, did she think that the phoenix flowers really grew out and was alive? I wasn't sure if she was crying tears of happiness or tears of pain...? 

• Like 7

Scene - JM goes to meet XF at the dead realm.

JM tried to apologies and explain to XF that SH knows the fire technic. XF does not believe JM. XF said she is the only one who saved him and was by his side. JM try to tell him SH is not the person you think.

(So sad, JM don’t cry) 

This scene remind me when XF try to explain to JM that he didnot kill her parents and JM didnot believe because only 2 person know how to use the glass fire and that is XF and empress.  She didnt know that empress already pass the all power to SH.

Haizz...  Karma.. Its about karma and redemption...  

I am also sad... 

What no 2nd mutual cutilvation..  Haizz...  Our imagination already wild after the 1st one and now dissapppinted...  Haizz.. 

But at least they kiss again after many years a part... Longing each other.. 

I think deep inside XF missed JM.... 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, clawedzip said:

Thanks! Can you explain what the "neidan" that SH ordered JM to give her is? I'm still confused...

The neidan is the medicine to cure PuChiJun. JM went into the secret place in YouMin to steal it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

about JM asking the tree to bloom then she will see XF. If not bloom then she will not see him again.

It seems like the tree never bloom... JM just think that tree is bloom. it her wishful thinking.

>> hapiangle: The neidan is the medicine to cure PuChiJun. JM went into the secret place in YouMin to steal it. 

Yea, i also confuse about this. Maybe need to wait for the sub then can get more understand the storyline.

My chinese is so basic.. some word unable to digest.. hahaha :D

Hapiangle: XF threw the feather (hairpin, huan di feng ling) towards JM but the feather chooses to protect JM instead of hurting her. XF got frustrated and pulled the feather back to destroy it.

I think deep inside XF din realize that he still love JM that is why the hairpin is still protecting her.

Btw... how come the emperor have XF hairpin?

I think i need to rewatch the ep 46-47 again... haiz...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dashmount20 said:

about JM asking the tree to bloom then she will see XF. If not bloom then she will not see him again.

It seems like the tree never bloom... JM just think that tree is bloom. it her wishful thinking.

>> hapiangle: The neidan is the medicine to cure PuChiJun. JM went into the secret place in YouMin to steal it. 

Yea, i also confuse about this. Maybe need to wait for the sub then can get more understand the storyline.

My chinese is so basic.. some word unable to digest.. hahaha :D

Hapiangle: XF threw the feather (hairpin, huan di feng ling) towards JM but the feather chooses to protect JM instead of hurting her. XF got frustrated and pulled the feather back to destroy it.

I think deep inside XF din realize that he still love JM that is why the hairpin is still protecting her.

Btw... how come the emperor have XF hairpin?

I think i need to rewatch the ep 46-47 again... haiz...

not 100% sure but I believe the feather can only protect. Every occasion it was used for protecting and he initially gave it to JM for protection. So I don't think he threw it and it chose to protect. Once he saw it in his hand, he knew the feather was going to protect her so he threw his attack along with the feather knowing nothing would happen. Then he said the feather betrayed him bc he doesnt want to seem weak towards JM (as in easily taken advantage of by the person who killed you). 

Maybe what happened was that he was going to attack her and the feather appeared on his hand kind of subconsciously bc he wanted to protect her and he just let it happen. But is angry at himself for wanting to protect her that is why he says he is going to destroy it for betraying him. 

I believe his uncle used the feather to protect himself and the Emperor from RY during the wedding. When the Emperor sacrificed himself he used the feather to hold on to XF's soul and gave it to SH. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mrsyooknit said:

not 100% sure but I believe the feather can only protect. Every occasion it was used for protecting and he initially gave it to JM for protection. So I don't think he threw it and it chose to protect. Once he saw it in his hand, he knew the feather was going to protect her so he threw his attack along with the feather knowing nothing would happen. Then he said the feather betrayed him bc he doesnt want to seem weak towards JM (as in easily taken advantage of by the person who killed you). 

Maybe what happened was that he was going to attack her and the feather appeared on his hand kind of subconsciously bc he wanted to protect her and he just let it happen. But is angry at himself for wanting to protect her that is why he says he is going to destroy it for betraying him. 

I believe his uncle used the feather to protect himself and the Emperor from RY during the wedding. When the Emperor sacrificed himself he used the feather to hold on to XF's soul and gave it to SH. 

Hmm... I agree your point. And yes, huan di feng ling is only used for protection and it's the most important thing for a Phoenix. 

7 hours ago, tenten0227 said:

You're right, the Emperor used all his lingli to save some part of Xu Feng's soul into the hairpin. 

Hide contents

As for the part where he uses it to attack Jin Mi, the hairpin actually betrays him by protecting Jin Mi from his own attack. He even says to the hairpin "Even you're betraying me" because it protected Jin Mi, he later proceeds to destroy the hairpin, as seen in the preview. 

Hide contents

I thought XF threw his hairpin at on purpose to protect her from his own attack, since it seems like he still loves her 

Spoiler

like when he sent a flick of fire to the demon servant girl's hand so she can release the bunny (JM)

But yes he did say

Spoiler

"even you're betraying me" and tried to destroy it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dashmount20 said:

i just watch the raw version ep 53 when XF practice the Glass Fire and turn him to ice..

I think he know that JM is the one who revive him because JM pass her water power to him.

The reason Phönix is in pain is because of the magic pill. Someone - you can guess who - manipulated it so... I believe the first reason was to never let it happen that he can come back - but he still came back to life again - but now he must suffer when he calls the fire - the higher the stage of fire - the worst is the counter attack from the cold.

• Like 5