[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost 香蜜沉沉烬如霜

sugarplum892

I pity RY's backstory but as of the current episodes... I can't help but to think he's blinded by vengeance and his tendency to self-victimize. Unfortunately I just couldn't agree with the way he does things. Like how in earlier episodes he told Mudan that he's purely just friends with JM and he wasn't even emotionally affected when he knew JM could be his sister. But after knowing JM's true identity... things changed. He led the water god to believe they're in love. :ph34r: Not to mention ... when RY managed to clutch hold of the arrange marriage, RY thought to himself that he's doing XF wrong (because he knew XF likes JM). But now... RY entire mindset is how everyone is doing him wrong. :crazy:

When he made the decision to 'cheat' for the marriage, he should have mentally prepare himself for the consequences. Hence, when it comes to love, I don't pity RY at all.

As for XF. His heart is always before his head. When he thought JM was his sister, his concerns were never about what other people think but it's all about JM's wellbeing. XF once said before that he only cares about what JM thinks and feel about the marriage and he doesn't think about RY position at all. Although, as a viewer, I think XF is just too rash :vicx: Always doing things in the heat of the moment. 

:ph34r: Ultimately, the fault lies in the pill. 

• Like 8

Bear in mind that unlike XF, RY actually knows JM has no knowledge of what love is. This is also why I can't pity RY when it comes to love matters. He fully knew what he signed up for when he tricked the water god into believing that JM is in love with him. 

Whereas XF's bird brain thought JM was in love with him since day 1. Always getting string along like a dumb bird :phew:

That being said, I like all 3 characters :w00t:. Leo is really a good actor and he really acts his part as RY very well (In the book, RY's a full fledged antagonist that plotted his way since the very beginning while the drama gave him a stronger story line to his actions). I adore Yangzi and Denglun's rendition of their characters as well :)

• Like 10
  • Love 1

I pity RY as a character he deserve's everyone's pity you can still dislike his actions but i still dont think hes nonredeemable. 

I also love RY's voice.. so sexy but that is something else ;p 

Can someone whose read the book tell me if RY has a redemption arc or something ? 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Wotad said:

I pity RY as a character he deserve's everyone's pity you can still dislike his actions but i still dont think hes nonredeemable. 

I also love RY's voice.. so sexy but that is something else ;p 

Can someone whose read the book tell me if RY has a redemption arc or something ? 

No redemption arc whatsoever, that's why the drama spent so much time on his suffering. I guess they want to soften the blow for him when he's being evil later, he's just gonna get worse towards the end. He only decides to stop being horrible after JM dies. He's pretty much nonredeemable in my eyes but I think he gets off quite easy in the end, he's still the Emperor, which is what he wants anyway.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, paperwishes said:

Bear in mind that unlike XF, RY actually knows JM has no knowledge of what love is. This is also why I can't pity RY when it comes to love matters. He fully knew what he signed up for when he tricked the water god into believing that JM is in love with him. 

Whereas XF's bird brain thought JM was in love with him since day 1. Always getting string along like a dumb bird :phew:

That being said, I like all 3 characters :w00t:. Leo is really a good actor and he really acts his part as RY very well (In the book, RY's a full fledged antagonist that plotted his way since the very beginning while the drama gave him a stronger story line to his actions). I adore Yangzi and Denglun's rendition of their characters as well :)

Lol dumb bird, bird brain :lol:. That’s really fit his description. I was thinking that too. JM and XF does fit perfectly for being dumb in love. Unlike Night that’s too smart for his own good. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

45 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

No redemption arc whatsoever, that's why the drama spent so much time on his suffering. I guess they want to soften the blow for him when he's being evil later, he's just gonna get worse towards the end. He only decides to stop being horrible after JM dies. He's pretty much nonredeemable in my eyes but I think he gets off quite easy in the end, he's still the Emperor, which is what he wants anyway.

Maybe thats a change they do who knows. 

@Kimchi Sweet Potato Thank you for the MV with english translation. Loving it. :D

4 hours ago, paperwishes said:

I pity RY's backstory but as of the current episodes... I can't help but to think he's blinded by vengeance and his tendency to self-victimize. Unfortunately I just couldn't agree with the way he does things. Like how in earlier episodes he told Mudan that he's purely just friends with JM and he wasn't even emotionally affected when he knew JM could be his sister. But after knowing JM's true identity... things changed. He led the water god to believe they're in love. :ph34r: Not to mention ... when RY managed to clutch hold of the arrange marriage, RY thought to himself that he's doing XF wrong (because he knew XF likes JM). But now... RY entire mindset is how everyone is doing him wrong. :crazy:

When he made the decision to 'cheat' for the marriage, he should have mentally prepare himself for the consequences. Hence, when it comes to love, I don't pity RY at all.

As for XF. His heart is always before his head. When he thought JM was his sister, his concerns were never about what other people think but it's all about JM's wellbeing. XF once said before that he only cares about what JM thinks and feel about the marriage and he doesn't think about RY position at all. Although, as a viewer, I think XF is just too rash :vicx: Always doing things in the heat of the moment. 

:ph34r: Ultimately, the fault lies in the pill. 

Exactly. As much as I feel sad for Night and his story, he's not consulting for help, but he's slowly growing the dark side in seeking revenge and hate towards everyone in the Heaven Realm. So you can't really feel that bad for him, because he set up everything and plan everything, that's why he doesn't care much that JM hangs around Phoenix and they interacts with each other. 

BUT.. Just finished today's episodes and I'm happy that JM's pill is slowly breaking and she's starting to feel a little feelings, but at the same time we know what's coming. 

So I'm a little confused on the demon princess and the mask guy's story. I just like let them drop out of my mind. Can anyone explain their story to me? I know demon princess is nice to JM and Phoenix.

• Like 3

Night is kind of not redeemable to me. At least if the drama keeps going by the book. I mean the only actually selfless nice thing he does is give XF the paintings JM made of him. I think he found some sort of inner peace by the epilogue. I have been seeing a lot of comments on how Night has the right personality to be an Emperor like scheming, backstabbing, etc. So that he was destined to be Emperor while XF was more of the give up everything for love type of guy. In the end, Night ends up being a lot like the current Emperor in what he did in order to reach the throne. 

I wouldn't mind a side story with Night and how he redeems himself in some sort of way. While I do think his actions towards XF and JM are 100% wrong. I also think he realized a bit that he was wrong after JM jumped in front of XF and that is why he let them be at the end. So it would be interesting for them to show him doing something to redeem himself. But if I were XF or JM, I would still never want to see him again. 

Epilogue/Drama spoiler

I saw this pic online which means that they are probably going to end on that epilogue. 

97dece504fc2d5620f4f8a8aec1190ef77c66c7c

9c5185a20cf431adbd95195e4036acaf2fdd987c

9c1d16166d224f4a1d35297402f790529922d10b

I think this is the same river in the underworld and they are just going to add some CGI. Thoughts?

d8c23e600c338744a4be75b25b0fd9f9d52aa0ef

lol at how they filmed this

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, mrsyooknit said:

Night is kind of not redeemable to me. At least if the drama keeps going by the book. I mean the only actually selfless nice thing he does is give XF the paintings JM made of him. I think he found some sort of inner peace by the epilogue. I have been seeing a lot of comments on how Night has the right personality to be an Emperor like scheming, backstabbing, etc. So that he was destined to be Emperor while XF was more of the give up everything for love type of guy. In the end, Night ends up being a lot like the current Emperor in what he did in order to reach the throne. 

I wouldn't mind a side story with Night and how he redeems himself in some sort of way. While I do think his actions towards XF and JM are 100% wrong. I also think he realized a bit that he was wrong after JM jumped in front of XF and that is why he let them be at the end. So it would be interesting for them to show him doing something to redeem himself. But if I were XF or JM, I would still never want to see him again. 

Epilogue/Drama spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

I saw this pic online which means that they are probably going to end on that epilogue. 

97dece504fc2d5620f4f8a8aec1190ef77c66c7c

9c5185a20cf431adbd95195e4036acaf2fdd987c

9c1d16166d224f4a1d35297402f790529922d10b

I think this is the same river in the underworld and they are just going to add some CGI. Thoughts?

lol at how they filmed this

Thank you for sharing. Cannot wait.

And that gif. Heehee. :lol::wub:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, turtle0217 said:

@Kimchi Sweet Potato 

So I'm a little confused on the demon princess and the mask guy's story. I just like let them drop out of my mind. Can anyone explain their story to me? I know demon princess is nice to JM and Phoenix.

Spoiler

In the latest episodes, they showed the backstory of how the demon princess and mask guy met. The mask guy's clan was basically murdered and she saved him. Apparently his tribe could create a weapon out of their bone marrow and cultivation energy that could destroy the soul completely. One of the demon lords found it as a threat and annihilated them. Throughout time, they fall in love and she finds out that mask guy is under the Empress' control to kill JM. :| I really wished the side story somehow helps to move the plot forward instead of a side story kind of feeling... I really like the demon princess but the side love story....

49 minutes ago, mrsyooknit said:

The recent episodes had some great parallelisms I just couldn't stop myself from analyzing. Been lurking on this thread since I finished LOF and this drama got me hooked! Keyword is "love" and "sacrifice"! How would you define love?

The latest episode hit me so hard when Water god and the Emperor had a talk. There were some parallelisms of how the Emperor claims how much he loves the Flower Goddess, but never sacrificed himself for her. The same can go for Night -- he never exactly showed his true self or sacrificed himself for JM like how XF does for her. I felt so bad for Night until he repaired the "unfeeling pill". As someone said in the comments, it's as if he just robbed JM's right to chose who to love.

Both the Emperor and Night does not know what "love" is, rather both were just "obsessed" with possessing what they cannot have even if they become the Emperor (irony that the Emperor should "own" everything). The Emperor mentions that the greatest punishment is that even if he has the flower goddess physically, he could not have her heart. That was basically Night's only punishment in the novel, which I saw comments saying how he got off scot-free --- basically same for the Emperor.

The scene where the Emperor visited the Empress in prison made me feel so mad. I feel like he's the biggest AH*insert profanity* here. He caused a lot of problems, but doesn't seem to feel that he was wrong at all. Even when speaking with the Empress he mentioned how "well" he treated her. Empress got cheated on by her husband many times and was "used" for the Emperor the secure his throne. Though I understand this doesn't justify her doing evil things. I also feel the parallelism of the Empress and Princess SH where they love someone whole heartedly and would sacrifice themselves --knowing the person they love do not love them back. 

Since the drama went extensive with Night's backstory I really hope they can give him a few episodes of redemption. Otherwise T_T

Everyone is so well-casted and kudos to the cast! I really like how Princess SH isn't the typical 2nd lead girl who does bad things to the 1st female lead. The scene where SH realizes that everyone has a father or someone who loves them unconditionally-- yet, for someone who doesn't love her (XF), she killed her mortal father during the moral trial who loved her unconditionally. I really wish SH could have a happy ending. 

• Like 8

Hello everyone. I've been lurking on this thread for awhile and decided to give my short 2 cents on this drama. lol 

I really like this C-drama. For once I finally found a C-drama I really like and a happy ending one too! I know there are many dramas out there with a HE, but they have yet to catch my attention. I rarely watch xianxia base C-dramas just because I haven't found the right one. What I really like about this drama is that the CGI fits very well, all the actors are doing a phenomenal job with their characters, the OST if off the hook, storyline is going at a great pace, the chemistry is amazing, and Deng Lun is major eye candy. lol This is actually my first time actually paying full attention to Deng Lun, and he's totally making me fall head over heels for him with that gorgeous smile and handsome face of his. He's gotten way more mature looking from Princess Agents. Yang Zi is really cute too. I didn't know whom YZ was when I first watched this drama, but she's really making me a fan of hers too. I really enjoy seeing the both of them interact on and offscreen. I adore their friendship. :)

As for the story, I love how loyal XF is towards JM. He loves her so much, always sacrificing and shedding tears for her. He's such a softie even though he's very temperamental. lol JM frustrates me sometimes, but I don't blame her either due to the unfeeling pill. It's like her fault but also not her fault for causing XF to go through so many emotions. lol As for Night, I pity but also don't pity him. He knows exactly what he is doing so that's why I can't bring myself to fully pity him. I understand that he didn't grow up with love or anything, but he did receive love from XF, his half-brother. Night has a lot of self-pity that he's always playing the victim. The reason why I think it's stupid that he and everyone is going after XF is dumb. Why is everyone trying to kill XF because of his evil mother the Empress? Just because she did evil things does not mean that XF has to pay the price for it. It's like if my brother killed someone then I should be at fault too because he's my brother. Like, what? That doesn't make any sense. I pity XF the most. He is loved all around but even then the love he received isn't sincere love. Everyone is taking advantage of him. Ah, I just can't wait for the heart-wrenching scenes and when he becomes the ruler of the demon world. I can't wait to cry and get emotionally involved. I just love to torture myself. #MarkMySarcasm LOL Waiting for the subs at the moment and it's killing me. I can't believe we're already over halfway of the drama. Time sure does fly. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Yui. said:
  Reveal hidden contents

In the latest episodes, they showed the backstory of how the demon princess and mask guy met. The mask guy's clan was basically murdered and she saved him. Apparently his tribe could create a weapon out of their bone marrow and cultivation energy that could destroy the soul completely. One of the demon lords found it as a threat and annihilated them. Throughout time, they fall in love and she finds out that mask guy is under the Empress' control to kill JM. :| I really wished the side story somehow helps to move the plot forward instead of a side story kind of feeling... I really like the demon princess but the side love story....

The recent episodes had some great parallelisms I just couldn't stop myself from analyzing. Been lurking on this thread since I finished LOF and this drama got me hooked! Keyword is "love" and "sacrifice"! How would you define love?

The latest episode hit me so hard when Water god and the Emperor had a talk. There were some parallelisms of how the Emperor claims how much he loves the Flower Goddess, but never sacrificed himself for her. The same can go for Night -- he never exactly showed his true self or sacrificed himself for JM like how XF does for her. I felt so bad for Night until he repaired the "unfeeling pill". As someone said in the comments, it's as if he just robbed JM's right to chose who to love.

Both the Emperor and Night does not know what "love" is, rather both were just "obsessed" with possessing what they cannot have even if they become the Emperor (irony that the Emperor should "own" everything). The Emperor mentions that the greatest punishment is that even if he has the flower goddess physically, he could not have her heart. That was basically Night's only punishment in the novel, which I saw comments saying how he got off scot-free --- basically same for the Emperor.

The scene where the Emperor visited the Empress in prison made me feel so mad. I feel like he's the biggest AH*insert profanity* here. He caused a lot of problems, but doesn't seem to feel that he was wrong at all. Even when speaking with the Empress he mentioned how "well" he treated her. Empress got cheated on by her husband many times and was "used" for the Emperor the secure his throne. Though I understand this doesn't justify her doing evil things. I also feel the parallelism of the Empress and Princess SH where they love someone whole heartedly and would sacrifice themselves --knowing the person they love do not love them back. 

Since the drama went extensive with Night's backstory I really hope they can give him a few episodes of redemption. Otherwise T_T

Everyone is so well-casted and kudos to the cast! I really like how Princess SH isn't the typical 2nd lead girl who does bad things to the 1st female lead. The scene where SH realizes that everyone has a father or someone who loves them unconditionally-- yet, for someone who doesn't love her (XF), she killed her mortal father during the moral trial who loved her unconditionally. I really wish SH could have a happy ending. 

yeah, I feel pretty much the same way. I think the drama is purposely drawing up a lot of similarities between them. I don't remember seeing them in the book. I also think just like his father, RY never sees himself as doing something wrong until JM sacrifices herself. That was his wake up. 

1 hour ago, rose_loves_ice said:

Hello everyone. I've been lurking on this thread for awhile and decided to give my short 2 cents on this drama. lol 

He is loved all around but even then the love he received isn't sincere love. Everyone is taking advantage of him. 

Welcome to the thread! Historical cdramas with happy endings are very few :tears: I think this one is one of the best xianxias I have seen.  

I do think that he does get taken advantage of and the main reason like someone else said is his stupid bird brain :lol:. He is too much of a softie. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dashmount20 said:

Yea..  Happy ending..  I fnish the novel. Hope all the epilogue will be in the series... 

I love the all the epilogue. 

Btw..  In the final chapter how JM being restruct? Anyone know? 

Spoiler

It seems like she reincarnated? It's not really clear why she has her immortal memories though, and whether or not she is human. Hopefully the drama will explain this better.

• Like 3

DlQD3UbV4AEgFU_.jpg

YZ#2

DL#5

LYX#10

Not even trying but spied some stuff happening today and I think they made Night much more evil in the drama. 

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

how many viewers online for this show currently? 

> 6.3 billion

I think it should  reach 10 billion while airing or get close. It is doing about 350-360 million views per day. 

Hello! everyone! I was just a silent reader for a while in this forum. But, now, I wanna say hi to you all and discuss about our current obsession, this drama obviously. I have a question for now. Hope someone will answer it. After jin mi killed xu feng, I heard that he'll become demon lord. But, will his true form still be a phoenix/fire immortal?? Or will he really become a demon?? For this tragedy, I could only blame on their parents, not just Heavenly empress and emperor, but also on jin mi's mother and run yu's mother.

• Like 4