[Drama 2017-2018] My Golden Life, 황금빛 내인생

meechuttso

On 3/15/2018 at 6:47 PM, lostgirl said:

“The drama is such a huge hit because its concept was not the success of the characters but their coming of age. All four lead and supporting characters alike were featured as having grown into becoming mature human beings but only the very late episodes,” said Jung Sung-hyo, drama bureau chief of KBS.

He says it didn’t follow the footsteps of typical Cinderella stories, where a poor girl climbs the social ladder by marrying a rich guy. Neither was it a love story of the century.

“Apart from all various episodes, the writer has kept her way of depicting their growth,” he said.

Seo enters as a member of the rich family, but her life is not depicted as something that would make one envy her. She falls in love with the rich guy but there is no happily-ever-after marriage story.

Thanks for the article @lostgirl. I actually agree that the drama managed to accomplish something different in its depiction of families that did not come together at the end in peace and forgiveness like other family dramas. It also was not the romance of the century.

My only question for myself is whether I enjoyed that or not. Life is a little bit like that, after all, where it's a rarity to find a true love that will beat all odds and families who heal are able to entirely heal themselves. However, did I really want to invest 52 hours of my life in a drama that wanted to give me realism, and thus gave us a conflicted ending? Truthfully, I'm not sure, but probably not. Regardless of anything else, I wanted the writer to have thought of a way for the OTP to be able to come together and at least show us that love was worth something, and that both OTP were able to grow up and make their choices. Instead, the OTP, despite their respective growth, are left nearly in the same place as when their romance started: with DK trying to do what he thinks he can in order to win her love and JA still resisting it. The ending just left me feeling tired and fed up, so that I didn't want to think about it any more than to actually gain any serious takeaways from it. Perhaps the ending is appropriate in the sense that everyone can go on to choose the ending that they want to believe in, however, it's left me not really caring.

So, as they say, for me, the drama and its ending may all be exactly as the writer wanted it. However, after having committed more than 52 hours of my life to watch, translate, and comment on this drama, I still feel a bit empty about it. Then again, it's just a drama after all. So, I just have to wait until another drama comes that I can be enthused about again, and then hope for an ending that moves me more. 

Thanks again. :)

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can say that I definitely enjoyed MGL despite its teenager love story :tongue:. Personally, I love the first half than the second. However I know that it is not easy to tell a story in 52 episodes without dragging it.  At least, the writer is successful in conveying her messages about the importance of love and care to the happiness of our family and the growth of our children and about why mutual respect is fundamental in any relationship. It is not because you come from a rich family that you have the right to look down on those of lower class. For a man and a woman from different backgrounds to have a happy marriage requires not only mutual understanding and deep caring but also strong will to protect their partner. Love is crucial but not sufficient. I am really impressed at the way DK is gradually growing up to become a better man and SJA's unspoken and unconditional love. While she persists in rejecting DK, she can't help but lend him a hand whenever he needs. And thanks to SHS and PSH's incredible acting, we can see their undeniably strong chemistry just through their eyes full of love and longing.  Another thing I love about MGL is that I can read many thoughtful and interesting comments here which brought me a great deal of fun and joy. It may be my last post in this thread. Thanks all again!!! 

9 hours ago, stroppyse said:

My only question for myself is whether I enjoyed that or not. Life is a little bit like that, after all, where it's a rarity to find a true love that will beat all odds and families who heal are able to entirely heal themselves. However, did I really want to invest 52 hours of my life in a drama that wanted to give me realism, and thus gave us a conflicted ending? Truthfully, I'm not sure, but probably not. Regardless of anything else, I wanted the writer to have thought of a way for the OTP to be able to come together and at least show us that love was worth something, and that both OTP were able to grow up and make their choices. Instead, the OTP, despite their respective growth, are left nearly in the same place as when their romance started: with DK trying to do what he thinks he can in order to win her love and JA still resisting it. The ending just left me feeling tired and fed up, so that I didn't want to think about it any more than to actually gain any serious takeaways from it. Perhaps the ending is appropriate in the sense that everyone can go on to choose the ending that they want to believe in, however, it's left me not really caring.

Thank you... this is exactly what I had in mind. Maybe my expectations (for a "true" happy ending) are too high, especially since their one week dating. I am just wondering, did the original ending was the same with the extended (2 episodes) ending? Were they create such ending to open up the possibility of a follow-up story?

Damn.. there were a lot of kisses in the final episode of Radio Romance 

I read here and there about interviews of SHS, LTW, etc after MGL closing but I wait and wait and no interview of PSH, my fav lead of the drama until now, I just wonder why? I see SHS take 2 new projects  and I am looking for my fav CDK-PSH for his new project as well. I really miss him...

• 2 weeks later...

Posting here in case some of you didn’t see this yet, but KBS World English subbed the final special that MGL had just before the drama ended:

They also English subbed the finale party on the Entertainment Weekly segment:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Feeling strange to come back to this lost child thread of my obsession starting from over a year ago.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Golden_Life

2018 54th Baeksang Arts Awards Best Drama My Golden Life Nominated [19]
Best Actor Chun Ho-jin Nominated
Best Actress Shin Hye-sun Nominated
Best Supporting Actress Na Young-hee Nominated
Best New Actress Seo Eun-soo Nominated
11th Korea Drama Awards Grand Prize Chun Ho-jin Nominated [20]
Best Drama My Golden Life Nominated
Best Screenplay So Hyun-kyung Nominated
Top Excellence Award, Actor Park Si-hoo Nominated
Top Excellence Award, Actress Shin Hye-sun Nominated
Best New Actress Seo Eun-soo Nominated
6th APAN Star Awards Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Serial Drama Park Si-hoo Nominated [21]
Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Serial Drama Shin Hye-sun Nominated
2nd The Seoul Awards Best Drama My Golden Life Nominated [22]
Best Actress Shin Hye-sun Nominated

How this drama will be judged in k-drama history, it's too early to tell, but starting tomorrow (Oct 2) at the 11th annual KDA (www.kdfo.org), regardless of these results I hope to find some closure.

:expressionless:

Very happy to report that

11th Korea Drama Awards Grand Prize Chun Ho-jin Nominated [20][21]
Best Drama My Golden Life Nominated
Best Screenplay So Hyun-kyung Nominated
Top Excellence Award, Actor Park Si-hoo Nominated
Top Excellence Award, Actress Shin Hye-sun Nominated
Best New Actress Seo Eun-soo Won

Seo Eun-Soo, in the role of Seo Ji-Soo, has won the Best New Actress award at the kdfo awards !

Very happy for Seo Eun-Soo, and even happier to see her in the new drama that just started, tvN's 

Congratulations!:wub:

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2017-2018] My Golden Life, 황금빛 내인생
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived