[Drama 2017] Hospital Ship 병원선

wildflowers

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha Ji-won becomes a surgeon onboard the Hospital Ship

by tipsymocha

hajiwon-hospitalship1.jpg

A few stills of the new medical human drama Hospital Ship have been released, and we get our first look at Ha Ji-won (The Time I’ve Loved You) as a surgeon, as well as some of the rest of the cast and crew as they performed the traditional prayer ceremony to wish for the show’s success.

Spoiler

hospitalship-prayer1.jpg

hospitalship-prayer2.jpg

hospitalship-prayer3.jpg

hospitalship-prayer4.jpg

hospitalship-prayer5.jpg

hospitalship-prayer6.jpg

hospitalship-prayer7.jpg

I was vaguely surprised to hear that this will be Ha Ji-won’s first role as a doctor, since the occupation is such a common one in dramaland and she’s been in the industry for a while now. It was reported that she’s been shadowing actual surgeons and studying documentaries and videos of surgeries to prepare for her role. It’s nice to hear that she’s directing her energy to learn more about being a doctor, just as she would prepare for all of her own stunts in the films and dramas that made her an action star. It’s not like actors need to know how to actually be a surgeon to play one but that extra effort is always good to see.

Spoiler

hajiwon-hospitalship2.jpg

Medical dramas aren’t my favorite genre, but the premise is unusual enough for me to look forward to it, and the focus seems to be more on the human stories rather than actual doctoring. Ha Ji-won, accompanied by doctors Kang Min-hyuk (Entertainer) and Lee Seo-won (The Liar and His Lover), will travel from island to island by boat to treat patients who otherwise have no access to medical assistance. I’ve found hospital dramas in general to be quite a cold genre, so it’ll be interesting to watch one that’s set up to be full of warmth and heart as these doctors get to learn more about the islands’ small-town inhabitants.

Hospital Ship will follow currently airing Man Who Dies to Live on MBC’s Wednesday-Thursday slot.

source

From the character chart Wang Ji Won is not the protagonist ex girlfriend like it was presented earlier. She will play the second lead guy`s ex girlfriend. So, she still have a chance to win him back even though he is involved in the love triangle with the first leads.

I am curious about the filming location. I know that they built sets but I wonder if they are filming on a real ship as well.

"Hospital Ship" Ha Ji-won's first doctor role, banana autopsy

DGW-oLCU0AAEsbU.jpg:large

Ha Ji-won revealed pictures of her preparation for her first role as a doctor.

She takes on the role of Song Eun-jae in the new MBC drama "Hospital Ship". Ha Ji-won has been preparing for months to completely turn into Song Eun-jae, a surgeon.

Pictures that Ha Ji-won released are preparations that she's been making for the role. She bought surgical books and has been drawing the human organ one by one and naming them. She's colored them and has been trying to memorize their names and functions. She's also practiced sealing wounds on a banana.

Ha Ji-won has also been watching videos related to surgery and even documentaries.

Ha Ji-won claims, "I want to be a doctor that even the viewers can trust. This is the first time I'm playing the role of a doctor and I will try hard".

"Hospital Ship" is a human medical drama about doctors who go on voluntary work to treat patients in an island village. The drama begins on the 30th.

cr

------

new BTS; every cast has been attended to learn a bit about medical stuff

14 hours ago, hell59 said:

Ha Ji Won is almost 40, isn't it time for her to play her age and with guys her age? It will not be believable to see her play a virginal, naive young woman. The leading actors are so young!

I don`t see a problem for a woman who is almost 40 to play a lead in a doctor role. It is very believeble IMO. It is not Ha Ji Won`s fault that they cast younger actors to play the other doctors. I am sure her fans would have wanted a leading man who is more close in age but what`s done is done.

I believe it is becoming difficult for actors over 40s to play a fist lead in kdramas, especially for actresses. So let`s enjoy their acting  as much as possible. How many exemples of actors in their late 30`s or 40s are paired up with younger actresses? How many times I heard about casting actors in their 20s who are playing well-established profesionals when is really unlikely in real life. The most recent case is the young actor who is 24 in real life but is playing a professor of psychiatry, who has other degrees too. Make them geniuses to not be completely fanciful.

The island-hopping doctors of MBC’s Hospital Ship

by tipsymocha

A whole bunch of stills for MBC’s new medical drama Hospital Ship have been released, giving us our first look at the band of baby-faced doctors who go from island to island to treat its inhabitants in need of medical attention. Most of these stills feature our two leads, Ha Ji-won (The Time I’ve Loved You) and Kang Min-hyuk (Entertainer), looking hard at work in their doctor’s coats, but we also get some very pretty character shots of the rest of the main cast.

hospitalship-stills81203.jpg

Spoiler

hospitalship-stills81202a.jpg

Ha Ji-won will play surgeon Song Eun-jae, a no-nonsense type who has been the breadwinner for her family since she was young. She is described as “beautiful but cold” and has a hard time empathizing with people, and dealing with emotions in general. Sounds like the various encounters with the islands’ residents is just the thing she needs to tap into her warmer side. Or maybe it’ll be her fellow doctor Kwak Hyun, played by Kang Min-hyuk, who opens her up with his “warm spirit” and superb empathetic abilities. Of course the physician’s her diametric opposite; it’s like a law in dramaland.

They’ll be joined aboard the Hospital Ship by Kim Jae-gyul, a doctor of Oriental medicine played by Lee Seo-won (The Liar and His Lover), and Cha Joon-young, a dentist who will be portrayed by theater actor Kim In-shik. Girl group AOA’s Minah rounds out the cast as the bright nurse Yoo Ah-rim. Personally, I’m just thankful that Ha Ji-won doesn’t look too mature next to the rest of the cast, or at least it’s less jarring than I feared it would be, ‘cause they’re all quite a bit younger than she is (she was born in ‘78, and the rest are all ‘90s babies). Not sure how much of that is due to them looking sufficiently grown-up enough to be doctors, or if Ha Ji-won’s actually just found the fountain of youth. How is she almost forty?!

hospitalship-stills81204.jpghospitalship-stills81206.jpg

Spoiler

hospitalship-stills81205.jpg

hospitalship-stills81207.jpg

hospitalship-stills81208.jpg

hospitalship-stills81209.jpg

hospitalship-stills81210.jpg

hospitalship-stills81211.jpg

hospitalship-stills81201.jpg

I’m quite excited to see how this unusual moving clinic setup will turn out, since taking doctors out of the hospital might get rid of those hospital politics I have zero patience for. I’m also hoping for some heartwarming interactions between the boat-bound medics and their islander patients, and especially how they’ll melt the ice queen surgeon’s heart. MBC’s Hospital Ship will take over Man Who Dies to Live on Wednesdays and Thursdays starting August 30.

Via dramabeans

Ha Ji-won, Kang Min-hyuk board the Hospital Ship in new teaser

by tineybeanie

hosship0.jpg

I’m so excited for Ha Ji-won’s (The Time I’ve Loved You) return to dramas that I almost felt a visceral tug of happiness seeing her in this first teaser for Hospital Ship. She plays an experienced surgeon who ends up having to leave her job due to public ruination. She lands on a hospital ship that journeys to remote access islands to provide medical care, and relearns how to become an empathetic doctor.

It’s hinted in the teaser that being a physician aboard the hospital ship perhaps isn’t the most coveted assignment. Ha Ji-won’s voiceover begins, “It was everyday work, more familiar than breathing,” as we see her scrubbing up for a surgery. In contrast to her voluntary presence on the ship, Kang Min-hyuk’s (Entertainer) character is a military doctor assigned to the ship. Relaxing on the deck in a lounge chair, he tells his two friends, “If you can’t avoid it, enjoy it.”

Spoiler

He’s the warm, compassionate internist whose personality and attitude toward care is completely opposite from Ha Ji-won’s results-oriented, cold efficiency. He asks why she came onboard the hospital ship, and another voice speculates that she chose the hospital ship so that one day she could recover her status and return to her place in society.

She says that on the hospital ship, Kang Min-hyuk is the only one who can keep up with her quick hands in surgery. So already, there’s a good rapport there. The text onscreen says: “The adventure log of youthful doctors working toward becoming real doctors, toward living real lives. Prescribing with sincerity.”

At the end, however, we see Ha Ji-won tormented with self-guilt: Defensively, she asks what the patients were doing until they died under her hands. Is she referring to her earlier downfall or will there be another tragic case when she’s in the islands? I can’t wait for this drama to be here already.

MBC’s Wednesday-Thursday drama Hospital Ship will begin airing on August 30, following the end of Man Who Dies to Live.

cr:dramabeans

Archived