[Drama 2018] Are You Human Too?, 너도 인간이니

Go Seung Ji

Robot Seo Kang Joon Attempts To Become Human In “Are You Human, Too?” Highlight Trailer

Seo-Kang-Joon4.jpg

KBS’s “Are You Human, Too?” has revealed their highlight trailer ahead of their first broadcast.

“Are You Human, Too?” is a fantasy romance about AI robot Namsin III (Seo Kang Joon) and a human girl named Kang So Bong (Gong Seung Yeon).

The highlight trailer introduces the main characters and also gives some insight to their connections.

It is revealed that Namsin III was created as a substitute for the human Nam Shin. Despite that cruel fact, the kind robot will do anything to make his creator (and the mother of the human Nam Shin) happy and willingly agrees to pretend to be Nam Shin while he is in a coma. Therefore, Namsin III takes a few comical lessons about how to act like the arrogant and selfish Nam Shin, who has the complete opposite personality.

Eventually, Namsin III seems to have successfully fooled everyone into making them think he’s actually Nam Shin. However, an unexpected obstacle makes a wrinkle in his perfect plan, and it happens to be none other than Kang So Bong, a brazen and passionate girl who makes him do unplanned things.

https://www.soompi.com/2018/05/31/watch-robot-seo-kang-joon-attempts-become-human-human-highlight-trailer/

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/05/2018 at 11:03 PM, stargazer187 said:

Oh... I see ye sonsaeng is here?? The trailers are looking good. But is she falling for the android namshin ill?? Hm.. I don't like to think that there's no happy ending for the two. I mean how can a robot and a human be together? I mean robot is a robot and human is human. They are very different. Well that's why the title is like that I guess. 

And why in the world they pick up a female bodyguard to protect a super power robot? This makes me curious. Lol

I agree it seems that there will be no happy ends, but maybe at the end, the girl will be half robot:D. or else, she will disappear with the robot:rolleyes::tongue:.
From what I could see with the trailer, the human will not be present from the second half of the first episode or the second episode, so everything is about the robot? it will be very different from the love story of  this drama  i'm not a robot 

15 minutes ago, marrez1 said:

I agree it seems that there will be no happy ends, but maybe at the end, the girl will be half robot:D. or else, she will disappear with the robot:rolleyes::tongue:.
From what I could see with the trailer, the human will not be present from the second half of the first episode or the second episode, so everything is about the robot? it will be very different from the love story of  this drama  i'm not a robot 

seems like they want to ask the question about what those it mean to be human, and can a robot be more human then human. as PD said that Namshin III gonna have more human quality then those people around him. Even the real Nam Shin. But agree about how they gonna handle the romance here. I think they want it as a part of what make us human. consider the real Nam Shin is in coma I wonder if he later gonna be important  in the drama. I somewhat hope he those, because It would be sad if he gonna be forgotten. But let`s wait an see how it goes :) 

It seems to me that we'll see two scenes mirroring each other: one where he joins her holding an umbrella, cheering her up and buying her food, and another one where she's the one coming to the rescue with an umbrella, making fun of him and offering him a place to stay. In the latter scene, she knows that he is s robot. (Not sure about the former... He uses his "wifi superpower, but I need to watch it again to see whether she knows it or not). Anyway, I find both scenes to be incredibly cute and heart-warming... :heart:

Seo Eun Yool, the other child actor (not the one playing Namshin 1's role). The name of his character is No Hee Dong: I don't know how he's related to the other characters: his surname ("No") is different from all the others, so it doesn't seem to be the son of one of PK's directors... :huh:
Anyway, he's so cute! :blush:

Does anyone know is KBS2 has a legal streaming service accessible from abroad? If there is, does it count for the ratings? Are we going to meet here to comment the live streaming?

@jerboa83  nice to meet you friend/sis !

me too felt the same ; that two scenes are mirroring each other ! 

But what makes me vague is that whether in the second umbrella scene is it nam shin or nam shin III ! 

Read seo kang joon saying in one of the article that there are scenes where the robot (nam shin III) act like human (nam shin) and the human act like robot ! 

I just dont want the two to get fall in love with her and torture my heart !

what do you think about it @jerboa83 and others ?!

Its a bit lonely for me over in this thread ; 

i just asked to suggest an “umbrella nickname” for all of us together and i just got ditched with no response :bawling: !

"The production staff revealed the reasoning behind the unique title. They stated, “Namshin III is, from his appearance to his behavior, so like a human that even Nam Shin’s closest acquaintances don’t realize it’s not him. It’s an artificial intelligence (AI) robot whose ever behavior and emotion is programmed to be ‘as if it was human.’ But unlike what Namshin III was taught, humans can use each other and throw each other away in ways that are inhumane. That’s why people experience loneliness even in a crowd.”

They continued, “Among these people, Namshin III is designed to listen to people until the end, help the weak, and comfort the crying. He is a very humane robot living among inhumane people, that raises the question of what it means to be human. We hope that people can have the courage to say to people who betray the ideals of humanity, ‘Are you human, too?'”

https://www.soompi.com/2018/05/30/human-shares-reasoning-behind-dramas-name/

http://m.yna.co.kr/mob2/en/contents_en.jsp?cid=AEN20180531009400315&site=0200000000&mobile

"Are you human too?" is a paradoxical question because it is raised by a robot with artificial intelligence (AI) -- the protagonist of an upcoming high-budget science fiction series on KBS 2TV. 

The new drama, with the aforementioned question as its title, is one of the network's most anticipated television series for this year.

The full episodes have already completed filming, which took two years and cost more than 10 billion won (US$9.23 million). Starring Seo Kang-joon and Gong Seung-yeon, the 18-episode drama was partly filmed overseas, including in the Czech Republic, and extensively uses computer graphics to express the highly advanced AI technology.

The story centers around Nam Shin, a third-generation chaebol heir who falls into a coma following an accident, and his mother, who creates a robot duplicate of him called Nam Shin III.

Actor Seo will play the double role of the sick man and the robot, while Gong plays the man's bodyguard Kang So-bong.

Before shooting the drama, the producer Cha Young-hoon said he thought or knew about AI robots only superficially. But as he was producing the series, he became occupied with many philosophical as well as ethical questions that the technology poses for the world, including himself.

"I eventually ruminated over what makes humans different from highly advanced artificial intelligence," he said during a press event in Seoul on Thursday.

"When a robot acts and becomes really like a human, how will we react to it?"

"It makes a story out of the interesting question of what makes humans fully human. It is very well made, and there is so much to see and enjoy in the blockbuster-level drama," said Jeong Seong-hyo, chief of the network's drama production department."

Actor Seo said it was challenging to play the two completely different characters. While he compared the robot Nam Shin III to a newborn baby for its purity and innocence, he said the human Nam Shin is very emotional with many past scars.

Kim Sung-ryung, who plays Nam's scientist mother specializing in artificial intelligence, complimented Seo's strong performance in the double role, saying she, one time, was confused as if there were two different actors playing the two.

Her character, she said, represents extremely confused human beings taken aback by an advanced and amicable humanoid.

"Ultimately she is forced to make what seems to be an obvious choice -- the robot son versus her real son. But she is indecisive and in agony," she said, adding that her character would determine the story's conclusion.

At the end of the press conference, the producer said the series paints an ironic world in which a robot exhibits more virtuous human characteristics than actual human beings.

"I hope the story raises the question of whether people conveniently ignore many ethical principles that define humanity," he said.

2 hours ago, 4evrkdrama said:

@jerboa83  nice to meet you friend/sis !

me too felt the same ; that two scenes are mirroring each other ! 

But what makes me vague is that whether in the second umbrella scene is it nam shin or nam shin III ! 

Read seo kang joon saying in one of the article that there are scenes where the robot (nam shin III) act like human (nam shin) and the human act like robot ! 

I just dont want the two to get fall in love with her and torture my heart !

what do you think about it @jerboa83 and others ?!

Its a bit lonely for me over in this thread ; 

i just asked to suggest an “umbrella nickname” for all of us together and i just got ditched with no response :bawling: !

I think it's Namshin III (the robot) in both scenes. In the second one So Bong knows that he is a robot, but I'm not 100% sure if she knows it in the first one.

What Seo Kang Joon about the partial super-position between Namshin andò Namshin III is related to the fact that, despite having very different personalities overall, they DO share some traits. N3 is supposed to imitate human N, so he often acts like him in public or at least he tries to, and human N is not a total jerk, but he also shows some humanity at times, behind the persona he wears to protect himself from the harshness of the world he was born in.

That's what Seo Kang Joon was referring to, in his interviews. It wasn't easy for him two different but not completely different characters: he needed to differentiate them, but also to let them show some similar traits at times. A real challenge, for an actor...

5 hours ago, scarletlover1 said:

YES!!! FINALLY!!!!!

It's almost here, it's almost here, it's almost here!

I'VE WAITED SO LONG!

I'm so happy to find here a fellow fan of Scarlet Heart! 

Did I something miss or Nam Shin III was created as a boy from beginng? So his mother bild a couple of AI and NAm Shin III is the final version or he is growing like a human? I am litle confuse about this...

Because everyone talk about difficult 2 role SKJ I think Nam Shin after all wake up and he will replece Nam Shin III. Maybe after that he will be hide his true identify and act like new Nam Shin (AI) and this will be the part where he become closer with So Bong. Something like that?

I think this drama could be have some vibe like You came from the star and get also orginal end but I can be wrong:wink:

@Netka85 seems like he was built right from the very beginning ( childhood days of namshin) !

in one of the teasers nam shin III says :

“I didn’t know why mom made me until I met the human Nam shin “ 

He was bulit beforehand ! 

And we donno for what reason though !

Even i have the same thought chinguya !

seems like Nam shin III replace nam shin at one point and at other point nam shin replacing nam shin III.

It would be a bitter ending most probably ! 

But lemme prepare my heart for it !

(still didnt recover from Scarlet heart )

14 hours ago, 4evrkdrama said:

@Netka85 seems like he was built right from the very beginning ( childhood days of namshin) !

in one of the teasers nam shin III says :

“I didn’t know why mom made me until I met the human Nam shin “ 

He was bulit beforehand ! 

And we donno for what reason though !

Even i have the same thought chinguya !

seems like Nam shin III replace nam shin at one point and at other point nam shin replacing nam shin III.

It would be a bitter ending most probably ! 

But lemme prepare my heart for it !

(still didnt recover from Scarlet heart )

He was build beforehand (in at least three different versions) because Oh Ah Ra missed her real son: Namshin's father had died in an "accident" (maybe killed?) and the heir had been taken away from her mother. She had been "exiled" abroad with no chance of going back to Korea and meeting her son, who had became a "property" of his grandfather and the company. Little Namshin grew into a child, then a teenager, then a handsome young adult, and his mother gave his face to Namshin 1, 2 and 3, letting it "grow" along with him. The harsh and unforgiving environment human Namshin lived in made him into an equally unforgiving person and to behave as an arrogant jerk. He wore that persona for years, but it seems that there's more to it: If I got it right, he eventually reached the point when he couldn't stand that life anymore and he went abroad looking for his mother: that's when the "accident" happened to him. 

1 hour ago, jerboa83 said:

He was build beforehand (in at least three different versions) because Oh Ah Ra missed her real son: Namshin's father had died in an "accident" (maybe killed?) and the heir had been taken away from her mother. She had been "exiled" abroad with no chance of going back to Korea and meeting her son, who had became a "property" of his grandfather and the company. Little Namshin grew into a child, then a teenager, then a handsome young adult, and his mother gave his face to Namshin 1, 2 and 3, letting it "grow" along with him. The harsh and unforgiving environment human Namshin lived in made him into an equally unforgiving person and to behave as an arrogant jerk. He wore that persona for years, but it seems that there's more to it: If I got it right, he eventually reached the point when he couldn't handle that life again and he went abroad looking for his mother: that's when the "accident" happened to him. 

It’s right touching to the heart ! 

Loved the characters in the drama right before its been aired !

Seems like am gonna cry in the very first 2 episodes ....

ugghh why most of the pre produced drama that i like make me cry a bucket ? ( scarlet heart : ryeo , uncontrollably fond , hwarang etc ) 

@Netka85 @triplem @jerboa83

Got to know viki named their subbing members - humanoids 

how about naming our fan base - Robot maniacs  ? ! 

3 hours ago, triplem said:

Hello dear.  I’m terrible at coming up with names for fan base here. But Glad to read you here. Keep posting . 

Have to thank @jerboa83 for posting & updating  since the beginning as I have been following this thread since the start . 

I think every nam Shin robot  was built at different points of Nam Shin’s life ( hence this is the third one . ) I was actually a bit surprised to see that as I initially thought the mum built Nam Shin 3 when her Son got into a coma . I Guess mum being a scientist, she’s always been developing the technology from the start , this is  pretty much her life’s work. 

@triplem I've been "stalking" this drama for almost a year, keeping up with all the updates, BTS and trailers. The reason is simple: it's the story I wish I had written myself, and the trailers/spoilers published during the last months confirmed it. I've been writing and publishing sci-fi novels and short stories for many years in my own country, Italy, and even though there was no impersonation going on in novels, Namshin 3, human Namshin and So Bong remind me of the three main characters of the very first saga I've written, a very long and complex space opera. "My" Namshin is not a robot, but an incredibly powerful artificial being with the same "innocence" and love for humanity N3 has, pretending to be human and concealing his true nature, even attempting to destroy himself in order to protect the human species from the danger that the aforementioned nature ultimately represents. The second character is the "original" creature, even more powerful than the "copy", an (apparently) cynical and extremely rational, unempathetic being, like a distant deity or an implacable force of nature with a very goal-oriented approach to things. The third one is a human girl (paradoxically) trying to protect them both, and to protect her own species from being crushed in-between.

That's why this drama's synopsis and themes resonate so well with me. 

The TRANSLATED 7 MIN PREVIEW is finally out!

5 hours ago, 4evrkdrama said:

It’s right touching to the heart ! 

Loved the characters in the drama right before its been aired !

Seems like am gonna cry in the very first 2 episodes ....

ugghh why most of the pre produced drama that i like make me cry a bucket ? ( scarlet heart : ryeo , uncontrollably fond , hwarang etc ) 

@Netka85 @triplem @jerboa83

Got to know viki named their subbing members - humanoids 

how about naming our fan base - Robot maniacs  ? ! 

What about "robophiliacs" or "roboholics"...? :D "Humanoids" sounds good, too...

Some (official?) pics from the Czech BTS:

Archived