[Drama 2018] Are You Human Too?, 너도 인간이니

Go Seung Ji

5 hours ago, crazyyo said:

I guess they gave the drama an open ending for the second season. Sadly the ratings weren't good so there won't be any season 2 :(

The open ending was intended for the continuation had the drama been a success. 

All the cast were amazing but the writing was greatly flawed. 

The writer didn't bring a balance between sci fi, fantasy, romcom and makjang so people were lost.

Some touches here and there would have made the drama a hit.

It was one of My most anticipated drama of the yr but I stopped when it stopped making sense to me.

Aside descendants of the sun, all kbs pre produced dramas were big flops.

And yet,they haven't learnt something.

I do hope the international collaboration they did helps.

Kudos to u all.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, philosophie said:

So low key, I ship YH and shin. In my fantasy shipper world, I see these two together and Shin donating his sperm to SB to have a baby that her and roboshin coparent with YH and shin cause they couldn’t have children either. Now what a wonderful world that would be,

I like the future you picture in your fantasy, LOL. Seems great to me and I would watch a second season of them just taking care of the kids. In the end, I started shipping Shin and YH a bit, they care so much for each other. :)

16 minutes ago, Mau_Cherry said:

Mum gave him (after he ask for it) the ability to smile - and dad gave him the ability - again because NS3 wanted it - to cry

That's a beautiful parallel. David was always delighted with his son being more and more human, it makes sense that he helped NS3 in that aspect.

Soooo, in the end it was not bad at all!! :D I'm happy that NS3 came back. Just seeing So Bong with Maibo in that beach broke my heart (for the millionth time tonight). Maybe because he was semi-destroyed by the gunshots and further drowning the kill switch couldn't destroy him since it didn't work with NS3 turned off. So all his memories were kept safe.

But I suffered so much during this episode. Just seeing that it was 10 min to the end and we still were in such awful situation. I wanted at least one episode after all the conflict so we could see them living happily, those 2 minutes in the end felt too short. :( I would have wanted to see NS3 and So Bong doing things together, and also Shin and YH.

In any case, despite some plotholes and some bad decisions from characters (I get that it's for the sake of keeping the drama), I still love this series.I guess I'm weak for robot stories and also the motherly love theme always gets me. And this one feels like a story I will not forget, which is a lot to say. They were brave enough to pose some deep and controversial questions that would make the audience think about what means to be human, it's not an average drama by any means. Also the production values were good, the cinematography of some scenes is simply stunning. The music is on point too, and what about the cast? Everytime Nam Shin and Young Hoon were sharing screen I could only marvel at the visuals, haha!! And the acting has been great, even the actress playing Ye Na somehow impressed me, because it's a side annoying character but in the end I could sympathise with her...and Kang Joon is just superb ❤️, he made us all love NS3 and be angry at Shin, and even then you couldn't hate Shin. I hope he gets some awards because otherwise I'll be flipping tables. I'm very sad that it was not a ratings success, but I understand that sci-fi and robots are maybe targeting a minority of the audiences...it's such a pity.

To me this is Seo Kang Joon's best work to date.

It's funny that NS3 has been saying that he can't cry, and now he shows up without his usual powers but with a human ability. My question: are his tear ducts refillable?

Me when I think about Are You Human too:

Image result for confused gif

I'm still behind. But I'm going to finish it.

Me reading your comments:

Image result for kim hiding gif

"Ooh." and "What did Ye Na do?"

I'm sorry I'll stop trying to be funny. I did see this

44 minutes ago, Rollito Deprimavera said:

Kang Joon is just superb ❤️, he made us all love NS3 and be angry at Shin, and even then you couldn't hate Shin. I hope he gets some awards because otherwise I'll be flipping tables. I'm very sad that it was not a ratings success, but I understand that sci-fi and robots are maybe targeting a minority of the audiences...it's such a pity.

So Kang Joon is the actor that plays Robot Shin/Shin? Well, I didn't know that! I have never watched a drama with him in it! Now I want to watch more of his works! I think he's a very interesting actor. Why? I think you said it best. You said he made us all love NS3 and angry Shin. And you said even then we couldn't hesitate to hate Shin. I have more to say on Real Shin's anger. I hope you are still around. I want to share my thoughts with you. And I like what you said. I hope Kang Joon gets some awards too. Why? I believed that Robot Shin and Real Shin were different people. I think there were times when they were in the same room. I knew who Robot Shin was and I knew who real Shin was. So the actor is very "superb." I'm going to borrow your word. Why is he superb? I think he's superb because he can play two roles at once. So Kang Joon is still young. And I think he has bright future. I think he will just get better and better at acting. I think he's already a great actor. And I might flip some tables too. Please notice him. Please notice his talent. 

I will come back. I don't know how this ended. But I am eager to find out. Can I say something? I think the entire cast is excellent! I think they all did a great job. I think they always had you guess. For example, I think a lot of people were surprised by Ye Na. I believe she's smarter than people thought. I am going to miss this drama. I am so attached it.  I think it's different, and I think it  affected my heart. And I think it made me think about things in my life. It made me think, "Do people do things for love?" or "Do they do things for greed?" 

And I believe a lot of us get angry. But this made me think, "Anger scares a lot of people away."

I really liked reading your post. And it made me really emotional. I think Kang Joon is very handsome. I think he could play a hero role. I think he could play any role he wants to. I don't think he is done yet. And I think he has plenty of emotions. Like, Real Shin didn't smile. I think he was bitter. But Robot Shin smiled. So I like how Kang Joon did that. I think he used that to show the difference between Real Shin and Robot Shin. 

I'm sorry I can't offer much. Like I said I am going to finish this drama. It touches my heart. And I think it's different.  And I hope we meet future drama threads. I hope we  meet somewhere :) 

I cried when Human NS was crying :cry: yay Ye Na finally did something useful in the drama.

NS3 should've tied up Mr. Seo after firing that gun. It was a bit weird when So Bong untied those ropes easily, but I guess they needed to save screen time. I'm also wondering why that other man with glasses didn't end up in jail (thought the same thing for Healer, the secretary didn't get caught?) am I the only one who feels disappointed NS3's powers were gone :( oh well at least he's still alive in the end :blush: still sad that the mom died, wish she could've  been in a coma instead and woke up for the time skip, reunite with the 2 Shins.

I don’t know what happened last night in soompi. I was just like waiting and there is no update in any thread! Anyway I haven’t watch yet the final two days episodes so I’m saving it because today is my last working day before my leave! Yes! And I’m going to marathon it tomorrow and come back here later with my comment 

so last night there was an error in soompi? that's why i can't login to this thread...i thought everybody here so focus to watch the final episode so that's why i can't see any recap post here....hahahaha:lol::lol:

About the ending i'm so glad we got happy ending story..but honestly there were a lot of question that can't be answer in the final episode..i think if they add one more episode more, maybe we can get know about "how they found and fix NS3", How HSN Life after the kidnapping and others. But i understand we can't get all we want..it's just a drama..and as long as we enjoyed it and make us happy..that's ok..the important thing we know about the message of this drama. Really hope HNS can meet her soulmate and also live happily like woori tincan couple...:wub::wub:

Now NS3, HNS & KSB can get along together..and i'm sure HNS will happy to get new brother NS3. Bravoo....:blush:

5 hours ago, darr said:

The open ending was intended for the continuation had the drama been a success. 

All the cast were amazing but the writing was greatly flawed. 

The writer didn't bring a balance between sci fi, fantasy, romcom and makjang so people were lost.

Some touches here and there would have made the drama a hit.

It was one of My most anticipated drama of the yr but I stopped when it stopped making sense to me.

Aside descendants of the sun, all kbs pre produced dramas were big flops.

And yet,they haven't learnt something.

I do hope the international collaboration they did helps.

Kudos to u all.

I disagree.. I think it was as “successful” as it could have been considering that it was pre-empted from airing due to the World Cup for weeks... its highest ratings reached 9% before the World Cup! Because it was pre-empted, people stopped watching it and found something else to watch - that was TvN’s fault and I believe that “Are You Human Too” could have been much more successful had it aired consistently. With that being said, this was definitely Seo Kang Joon’s best drama and acting to date! ❤️

* catching my breath and drying my tears... * 

How are you all doing? :tears:

As I watched the last two episodes, I kept wondering why the writer tortured me so much. I can't remember the last time I cried this much while watching a k-drama. I still don't understand why no one tried to revive the mom and how, since it was NS3's rule to help/save humans, CPR and resuscitation wasn't part of his protocol. At least show us that he scanned her body and saw she had too many broken bones to survive or something. David didn't even try either. Found it so odd.

Up until then Ji, David, even NS3 always thought of the worse case scenario and ended up always a step ahead because of that; but in these last two episodes, with Seo loose after NS3 came out as an AI, and knowing Seo was a murderer, and all his crime ties, how could they not think to have a private detective trail him or something? What made they think he'd go down without retaliating? 

I'll come to be happy for SB & NS3 one day, happy for NS coming to his senses after losing his mom, but for now all I want to do is to vent about the way Oh Ro Ra was treated in this drama. She was never really given credit for the force that she was. She is the unsung (s)hero of this story. That woman, with all the tragedies that she went through, was a genius who created the WORLD'S FIRST near perfect AI that, that without a doubt passed the Turing test, and as he evolved, over-rid humans trying to control him for evil purposes, and stuck to the principle of saving lives instead of taking it. She was always the smartest in the room (David said he couldn't keep up with her). At some point she revolutionized society (see when NS3 told his identity to the world, and what societal change that meant). Yet, all the wonders of her inventions were overshadowed by a group of three egomaniac, self-centered men with hormonal and mental issues acting like divas and discarding someone else's life as something to toy with. I'm trying not to draw a parallel with real life here, but if I were to, I'd notice how the writer chose to write all the women in this show, including YN. I find it interesting, the roles they had, the purpose they served, how they were all treated (handled). I didn't expect to watch the ending of this drama thinking about women's rights, and feminism to some extent, but ORR's death was too big a pill to swallow. Sadly, it took her death for me to notice all these other layers of the story, layers that had been there since the first episode.

Overall, sincere kuddos to the creative team behind AYHT. I find the writing stellar, despite the multiple plot holes at the end (the grandpa's fate, Seo's sentence, etc.). Even after it's ended I have much, much to think about. I joked a lot about therapy in this thread, but in all seriousness I think that part of the message of this drama is that at some point, there are some technological advances (that can happen quickly without us realizing it), that require us to be mentally prepared. If not, it risks to give ways to some irrational behaviors, either filled by greed, or by emotional distress...

Also, I so enjoyed chatting with everyone here! What shall we watch next?! :lol:

Erm--the villains in this drama are not the sharpest pencil in the box are they LoL?! 

I mean when ShinBot showed up before them they surmised it to be the human, furthermore they wondered aloud "How did he get dressed so quickly?" Huh WTF:lol:

Like y'all took this guy hostage & beat him up to a pulp, shouldn't his bruise free face be a clear hint that he's NOT the human Shin?! Yea not the smartest:rolleyes:

It's a pity that Dr. Oh had to self sacrifice toward the end... A bit unnecessary but typical trope in K-dramas when it comes to a climax. 

Human Shin remains a jerk to the end even if he stopped throwing tantrums & whatnot. And the robot & human live happily ever after. The End. Or is it LoL? While it sounds nice on paper, us humans have needs. I wonder how fulfilling can it be to have a long term relationship with a robot? Although it sort of works 'cause Koreans are conservative? :w00t:

Anyway it has been fun. See y'all in the next drama thread. Take care. XO.

6 hours ago, sal2 said:

So in the end NS3 sacrifice was what made NS wake up, witch is fitting that his robot copy did  give him the shock factor he needed to turn his destructive act around. Would have loved to see them acting as brothers, but well there was not enough time :( frankly a part of me thought  that we would see SB and NS after that year meeting again and become friends and maybe fall in love. I have a little problem really feeling NS3 and SB romance because he his a machine. nothing gonna change that, and also he is just to perfect... 

But in the end this drama have been a very nice tale about what is human. So it is not about robot, but about humanity light and dark side and all in between. I am happy they did not shay away from how bad human can act, but also how we need to fiend the light to be a good person.

I am gonna miss them. 

Yah, I didn't like the romance part between NS3 and SB.  Say what you want, he's still just a robot.  Would you want a perfect robot or a real man, flaws and all?!  

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2018] Are You Human Too?, 너도 인간이니

Okay.

I still don't know why the mom had to die. It could have easily been avoided. Unnecessary death. But perhaps it was the only thing that would have pulled NS back from his thoughts. He realized it all too late which is very sad. And something humans do: taking anything for granted. 

While i am glad there is a happy ending, I feel the ending is rushed. Quite some loopholes we had here. 

I just spent 8 episodes watching NS go jealously bratty with NS3 and every one else only to see that his mother died and then he redeemed himself and became good? Something doesn't add up. One thing i don't like about kdramas is the wrap up of the climax to ending. Beginnings are always good. Middle episodes get interesting and then as we reach towards ending, everything becomes loose and rushed. One thing i am glad is the relationship between NS and SB remained the same. It would be weird to see them fall in love haha. 

I may be one of the few who actually don't mind NS3 with SB. Heck, he looks so real even i wouldn't know haha. The development of NS3 and SB made me enjoy their moments together. Watching NS3 question himself and then slowly growing attracted to her was sweet. But..i still have a problem with why the mom had to die. And Seo only got jail time? Dang..for the crimes he committed, I was expecting some harsh pay back. The good one dies. The bad one goes to jail. At least he lost what his purpose was then <_< if i don't accept it, my mind will keep arguing back and forth.

Overall, nice drama! Awesome ost! Outstanding performances from the cast especially our human and robot hero! I am going to be watching his next dramas! Gotta see that smile of his! :wub:

I thoroughly enjoyed this drama.

@Kasmic haha for some reason, i don't feel completely satisfied with this finale. Everything felt fast and rushed for me. Didn't spazz as much as i did at Monarch lol. Maybe because i didn't have to throw too much shoes and frying pans with this one :joy:

see you all in another drama chingus! ;)

8 hours ago, bkchild said:

Human beings only learn with initial input just like NS3. If you leave a baby to fend for itself and give it no social input it won't know how to interact with people. They won't have many characteristics that you'd say all human beings should have. We're social learning creatures, and so is NS3.

Your brain rewires itself constantly based on new information. The different people around you, the media you consume, the experiences you have, where you live, the environment (weather) etc etc. Your brain is the 'human heart' that's making decisions for you at all times. We're just electrical signals. Very complicated electrical signals that differ per person, but electrical signals all the same. That's how AI is currently made, using our brains and how they function (particularly young children because they develop neural pathways based on external stimulus more frequently and faster and more efficiently) as a template. And because it's not developed in the exact same manner, with the same particles and atomic structure, and time even, it's not quite human. And NS3 isn't human, that's been his journey. Not pretending to be human but accepting that he's still his own person. A robot person with his own sense of self that's been made by the experiences he's had with so many people. He learned to feel things (or learned that he was feeling things all along) because he was treated like someone who has feelings. That's close to how when we grow we learn to control/articulate how we're feeling and learn what emotional responses/ social cues we should have in different scenarios. It's why kids act so weird lol.

To answer the question of who he's learning from? He said it in episode 17, he is who he is because of So Bong. She was the first person to tell him he had personhood. And just like a human being who might've been told they're just something to be used and to not act on their own, just that simple thing sparks something in their brains and starts changing how they think and act and see themselves. He's seeing and learning differently than we are because he's not human but conceptually it's the exact same. 

The drama is trying to challenge pretty much everything you said lol, so it's a good discussion to have. What is 'human'? Is it goodness? Because in that case Jong Gil isn't human at all. Is it just being born? Because in that case it's nothing special or anything to aspire to, like we've seen in the drama and like So Bong said, there are a lot of awful people. Not being human isn't a crime or lesser than it's just different. And the drama challenged us on what makes a person good or bad. NS3 will never be a human being but him learning to EXIST as his own person is similar and important. Nam Shin would've been much different if he got to be raised by his mom and dad. He'd probably be a lot like NS3. Parallel with NS3 whos a robot but the same rules apply, if he had someone 'raising' him who was bad he could've been hurting people. Like if he'd learned about the potential for personhood from bad people like Grandpa or Jong Gil for example. 

Thank you for your comments.  You have articulated so well the things I had also thought of.  Just as what @Rollito Deprimavera had also said about pre-programming, I get it.   It is almost as if this show is saying that the heart is just and organ whilst the head is the central control.  And while we are at it, good and bad doesn't seem all that significant because a robot would make decision based on the highest possibility or at least a set of parameters (like in NS3's case - to save people).  Contrast it to humans whose heart may override the head in many decisions.  

[Are You Human Too?] Finale

humann.png

[Are You Human Too?] FINALE Ep 35 Happy ending, Robot Namshin kisses Gong Seung Yeon

Article: Naver 'Are You Human' Robot Namshin kisses Gong Seung Yeon, happy ending

•  
  • Oh Ro Ra (Kim Sung Ryeong) dies. 
  • Robot Namshin (Seo Kang Joon) was shot and fell into the sea. 
  • Seo Jong Gil (Yu Oh Seong) goes to jail. 
  • Robot Namshin comes back a year later to reconcile with Kang So Bong (Gong Seung Yeon). He became more like human without his abilities, and he is able to tear up. 

1. [+1142,-26]
It's good that it was a happy ending. I've enjoyed watching the drama so much. Thank you!!!

2. [+1161,-50] 
Seo Kang Joon has to get an award. He really is qualified to receive one. I was so absorbed in the drama. You've worked hard, really.

3. [+817,-28]
On Seo Kang Joon's articles, people normally praise his handsome face, but now more people are leaving comments that his acting is good. He is filming The Third Charm now, so we can see him in September again, that's good.

4. [+418,-10]
Seo Kang Joonhasshowed us his acting skills properly.

5. [+269,-9]
I was about to destroy the TV if robot Namshin doesn't come back.

6. [+168,-4]
I watched this drama to kill time at first, but as it moves on, every episode has a plot twist with a strong story. The actors have excellent acting too. Especially when Namshin's mother dies, Seo Kang Joon's (Namshin3) acting without his eyes red, I was surprised to watch that. A
cting that will go down in history, this isn't an exaggeration. The people who didn't watch it, when you have the time, please watch it. I recommend that you begin watching from the start.

7. [+104,-4]
I dare to say that he is one of the top male actors in their 20s. Visual, acting skill, physical, Seo Kang Joon has everything. I will believe in you and watch your dramas in the future.

8. [+94,-0]
Robot Namshin has evolved,  actor Seo Kang Joon has evolved too.

cr

p/sthe moment when sobong keeps cried for sake of missing ns3, i thought hes gone for good.. 

and then BAM! he appears *my heart exploded lol* :sweat_smile:

14 hours ago, tatusii said:

is he still NS3 or now NS4??

are they reboot him or make him from scratch ?

Each version has a different face and seems about a decade apart, so an easy way I can think of...haha

NS1: up till 10 yo

NS2: up till 20 yo

NS3: up till 30 yo

NS4: up till 40 yo

I could not log on to soompi last night! anyways i agree with @vangsweetie637 about how kdrama endings are usually rushed. this one did feel rushed and i was not expecting much and even thought at the beach scene it would end with NS just walking behind SB as an 'open ending' lol! I was pouring with tears though! I was so glad they fixed NS3. I love NS3 and SB together. Yes i'm not too sure what'll happen in there future as NS3 is not a human but that's what this genre of sci fi is for ahah (who knows with technology advances anything nothing may be impossible in the future!). It would have been nice to see some interaction between NS and NS3 in a more brotherly way but not enough time! 

Imo overall a pretty good drama and a happy ending imo!! I've watched SKJ and GSY's dramas when they were just starting out and a couple of others and am loving them even more! I'm really liking these fantasy/sci-fi themed kdramas, when they're done well they turn out pretty nice and enjoyable (like this drama and one of my other favs - circle!)

Archived