[Upcoming Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] The King’s Avatar 全职高手 2

sugarplum892

Lots of IP drama comes out in this season. The Untamed, The King Avatar, Prince of Tennis .....

I have my reservation on drama adaptation of web novel. Because usually it just all pretty face with very awkward acting. Not to mention changed storyline ...-_-

The King Avatar and The Untamed are a pleasant surprise for me. I just watched TKA yesterday (6 episodes) and very much enjoyed it. They change the story a bit (on why Chen Guo choosed to be a gunner) but I think it was to add more drama so I am okay with it. Up until this point, the acting is good enough. Yang Yang surprisingly good as Ye Xiu here.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no context of the story.. but people were anticipating it so i was anticipating it..

but darn.. ep 1 was so boring and just so irrelevant.. plus yang yan was bad, voice dubbing is bad - voice doesn't even suit him.. and if it is his own voice then it just lacks good modulation..

How are fans or people who are aware of the story's context finding it? Is drama coping up with the manga? CGI is really good though

@enigmatic_zephy

It follows the novel pretty well and there are some bits of changes here and there which doesn't compromise the whole story line.

This will be more of a redemption kind of story, where the protagonist starts again from the beginning to form an e-sport team of his own.

I guess it would really depend on the type of genre you want to watch. As I said before, there is no romance in the novel, so there might be changes from that, can't say for sure.

1 hour ago, nasaan ka Alex? said:

@enigmatic_zephy

It follows the novel pretty well and there are some bits of changes here and there which doesn't compromise the whole story line.

This will be more of a redemption kind of story, where the protagonist starts again from the beginning to form an e-sport team of his own.

I guess it would really depend on the type of genre you want to watch. As I said before, there is no romance in the novel, so there might be changes from that, can't say for sure.

hmm.. 

see all genres can be fun if done right..

but ep 1 fell FLAT for me.. so i was wondering if it is because i don't have context or others felt the same

@enigmatic_zephy

I see...

To me as I've read the novel, am more excited of the anime than the drama adaptation. The animation for me is more suitable in portraying the story than the drama because of the novel being action-packed, focuses more on the in-game part hence it requires to be flashy.

Also imho, the CGI felt short, as I've said earlier, the part where they show about the game should be like full of special effects. I know its probably more expensive doing the CGI scenes than the IRL scenes, I just felt it was lackluster.

About Episode 1, it shows his downfall, so probably it also affected how you viewed the first episode. Watch a few more episodes before deciding on dropping it. You might like it in a different light.

I am just watching the series currently because (1) i've read the novel, (2)its still related to gaming, and (3) i have a lot of free time.

On 7/28/2019 at 1:49 AM, nasaan ka Alex? said:

How is this faring(rank in chinese tv) in the Chinese community?

Web drama so no rating. Tencent's top search is sitting around 3, after Go Go Squid and Untamed, drama ranking is somehow at 5, which is kind of questionable. I've seen it sit at 3 on all platform ranking but I'm not sure how trustworthy it is. Think it aired too early tbh, I thought it would start in August, then it could have avoided Go Go Squid and most of Untamed. It's not in direct competition against Novoland and Chang'an in terms of genre but they do overlap somewhat in audience, especially amongst male viewers. We also have bunch of other big IP or star power dramas in the mix too.

Douban rating is at 6.9, mostly due to downvoting by fans that's upset by some marketing tactics. There's some people that don't care for Yang Yang's casting and think some of the changes ruined the characterisations. I think they did change certain characteristics, but it's all pretty within my acceptable range.

On 7/28/2019 at 8:32 PM, enigmatic_zephy said:

I have no context of the story.. but people were anticipating it so i was anticipating it..

but darn.. ep 1 was so boring and just so irrelevant.. plus yang yan was bad, voice dubbing is bad - voice doesn't even suit him.. and if it is his own voice then it just lacks good modulation..

It's dubbed yeah. I think tencent used all the donghua/anime cast to make the cross media promotion easier. I do agree the voice doesn't quite fit Yang Yang's face, but it fits Ye Xiu's character, I got used to it. Yang Yang actually look too clueless/cute in the beginning, which makes it extra jarring. Anyways, I understand finding it boring since it might not be your genre, but it actually sets up the plot pretty well, not sure why you find it irrelevant.

I've read beginning of the novel + watched the animated version + I have strong interest in gaming + tend to watch all sorts of adaptations so this was on my to watch from get go. However, I've seen comments that people that don't care about gaming or have experience with the source material have enjoyed the drama too, they praised the directing + music that made them care about the characters/game, but YMMV.

3 hours ago, skibbies said:

Web drama so no rating. Tencent's top search is sitting around 3, after Go Go Squid and Untamed, drama ranking is somehow at 5, which is kind of questionable. I've seen it sit at 3 on all platform ranking but I'm not sure how trustworthy it is. Think it aired too early tbh, I thought it would start in August, then it could have avoided Go Go Squid and most of Untamed. It's not in direct competition against Novoland and Chang'an in terms of genre but they do overlap somewhat in audience, especially amongst male viewers. We also have bunch of other big IP or star power dramas in the mix too.

Douban rating is at 6.9, mostly due to downvoting by fans that's upset by some marketing tactics. There's some people that don't care for Yang Yang's casting and think some of the changes ruined the characterisations. I think they did change certain characteristics, but it's all pretty within my acceptable range.

It's dubbed yeah. I think tencent used all the donghua/anime cast to make the cross platform promotion easier. I do agree the voice doesn't quite fit Yang Yang's face, but it fits Ye Xiu's character, I got used to it. Yang Yang actually look too clueless/cute in the beginning, which makes it extra jarring. Anyways, I understand finding it boring since it might not be your genre, but it actually sets up the plot pretty well, not sure why you find it irrelevant.

I've read beginning of the novel + watched the animated version + I have strong interest in gaming + tend to watch all sorts of adaptations so this was on my to watch from get go. However, I've seen comments that people that don't care about gaming or have experience with the source material have enjoyed the drama too, they praised the directing + music that made them care about the characters/game, but YMMV.

I don't think it is a case of it not being my genre

I watched the anime, OVA, and reading the light novel (on break from novel on chapter 1490). 

I really enjoy it so far. I LOVE the dubbing because it’s the anime voices. However, not everyone from anime dubbed, so some of the characters’ voices are really throwing me off. 

I believe so far I noticed Yu Wenzhou and Han Wenqing are not dubbed. Correct me if I’m wrong about HWQ. 

I’m so excited for the next episodes since it’s the All Stars competition continuation. And that’s one of my favorite arcs. So excited to see how they do it in the live action!!!

There’s definitely a bunch of changes but nothing that really bothers me too much. Okay, maybe just the fact that Chen Guo is a bit needy. I don’t believe she’s needy like this in the novel. 

hi guys. i just started this drama (after Go Go Squid ended) and felt it's getting really fun now! honestly, the first few episodes lost me, especially since I didn't know the story. the gaming scenes also bored me in the beginning, mostly because i didn't know how it works. but now, they've really made me invested in the characters & even the gaming scenes are starting to get really fun!

I don't know if this means it's a good adaptation or not, since I didn't follow the novel nor the anime. But I would say this is a great drama! The gaming scenes especially wowed me! Since when do we see gaming scenes using real CGI?! Never!! I'm so happy to be seeing CGI instead of actors acting like they're a game character. That just removes the fun of gaming dramas.. =.=

I love the antics between Guo Guo & Ye Xiu (they're hilarious!!!) and the friendships (and competition) in the drama. Hopefully the drama will continue strongly for the next 26 episodes. :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 11:17 PM, lynne22 said:

You and me both tbh hahahahaha.... 

That makes us three!!! Hahahaha

Started watching subbed..Yang Yang alone have brought me to the world of esports..(and then Xian Li... hahahah). he is just so gorgeous behind computer... just can’t get my eyes off him...well, even back on Love O2O...and i am sure you all know what i am saying...! Hahaha

But other than YY, though he alone is enough for me..hahahah, but all other characters here are just as equally great ... they all have a story to share..! And tbh, even there isn’t any loves lines and scenes, the story itself is interesting enough...well at least for me...and like i said, never played games so all the more this will be interesting to those who play... right...? 

Cant wait till they officially form a new team...! 

Glad to see familiar names on this thread...from the other thread..hahaha great to see u all around here..!

I am seriously loving this drama so much! I was never into gaming but right away i got sucked into the world of e-gaming and e-sports......those battles are so intense! I never thought I could get so heavily invested. Plus of course Yang Yang is so damn hot when he is behind the computer plus strategising. I'm also so glad there's no romance.........and if there were, i ship Mu Cheng and Ye Xiu! But it's so refreshing not to see love triangles.........but people simply devoted to their passion of gaming. After this I will move onto the anime and novel. Then the movie is coming out too! So happy to see so many things coming out related to this show! I can go crazy over this for a while now. I don't care if the anime or novel is better......what matters is that this drama introduced me to this world and intro me to the novel (and anime). 

@kellentia I think all the medium have their advantages. The drama actually filled out some backstory the novel didn't, and obviously made it easier for people not into gaming. The donghua/anime is fantastic with the battles and helping you visualise very descriptive battles from the novel. but it has very fast pacing, 1 ep drama roughly equals 1 ep of donghua, but donghua only has 20ish minutes (and a lot more game related stuff). Novel of course have lot of details, probably way too much detail if you aren't too into MMOs. Hope you have lots of fun :) 

I'm happy drama Ye Xiu grew out of his softboi stage, it's a lot of fun seeing him shameless and tricking people, I mean he did it in the beginning too, but it's not as apparent. I think around ep 15~16 or so, the focus on Guoguo was a liiiiiittle too much. I know they needed live action scenes + Jiang Shuying is the main actress (she has the most star power out of the three female leads) before it hit Chinese New Years, but I know it annoyed fair amount of people. I'm mostly okay with An Wenyi's change, although I wish they didn't swerve as hard for the conflict, it makes it hard to like the character + you get all these people complaining.

@gracebkk@kellentia Not an e-gamer myself and was lost during the first few episodes.  However, I'm glad I persevered as the character development of each player is interesting and got me excited even though I'm still not sure what they do during in-game battles (what with the dragon raising its head and all that fancy names/moves involved) - just rooting for Ye Xiu and his team as they always seem to be the underdogs.  I admire Ye Xiu's character as a mentor/coach/strategist/tactician and think Yang Yang suit this role very well (I've only watched him in Love O2O and his other series did not seem to hold my interest that much).

I think everyone may have different taste in movies/series and what works for one may not work for another - as an example, I couldn't tolerate Go Go Squid and can't explain why except the lead actress' antics annoy me to no end.  So, suggest one watch with an open mind and if it's really not your cup of tea, there are countless other series to watch.  For me, waiting for the episodes to be released by WeTV is such a torture.... surprisingly found another funny series worth my time in WeTV  titled When We Were Young.

@Karma V Oh that drama was fairly well received but I haven't seen it. There's actually quite a few school dramas that are pretty decent iirc (but not necessarily on WeTV, might be on viki or youtube) 

While I liked GGS, I actually had lots of issues with it too, and I can totally see why lead actress would annoy you. I think I preferred Gank Your Heart's (another romance/esport series) female lead, but it didn't have subs before and wasn't on big drama platforms before (or did much promotion). Anyways, yeah it's just preference.

Its first 10 episodes are now available on Netflix, so hopefully more people will watch it? This drama is a good drama to introduce WeTV to international audience, since King's Avatar and Yang Yang has a fanbase, but I've been told the subtitles are subpar? I wonder if Netflix's subtitles are the same?

On 8/16/2019 at 8:40 PM, skibbies said:

Its first 10 episodes are now available on Netflix, so hopefully more people will watch it? This drama is a good drama to introduce WeTV to international audience, since King's Avatar and Yang Yang has a fanbase, but I've been told the subtitles are subpar? I wonder if Netflix's subtitles are the same?

Yeah... I've been watching this drama on the WeTV app and can confirm the subs are less than stellar.  They also flash by really quickly so they can be hard to catch, and then when I do I'm often left head scratching.  As an example, there's a scene where YX pours Guo Guo a cup of tea and says he's using tea in place of alcohol to toast her and the subs just say "alcohol tea" instead.  

It'd be nice if Netflix had their own subs, but I've a feeling/fear it'll just be Tencent/WeTV handing over what they have to Netflix.  

9 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Yeah... I've been watching this drama on the WeTV app and can confirm the subs are less than stellar.  They also flash by really quickly so they can be hard to catch, and then when I do I'm often left head scratching.  As an example, there's a scene where YX pours Guo Guo a cup of tea and says he's using tea in place of alcohol to toast her and the subs just say "alcohol tea" instead.  

It'd be nice if Netflix had their own subs, but I've a feeling/fear it'll just be Tencent/WeTV handing over what they have to Netflix.  

I've been told netflix subs are the same, rip. GET BETTER SUBBERS WETV, good god. The flash by thing is little hard to fix, since they talk rapidly while in-game, and english is comparatively more lengthy language, it makes subbing bit hard. Someone on the King's Avatar discord is doing fansubs for it though, just on the slower side, understandably.

Archived