Your Korean study method

RobinB

Hey guys, as an enthusiast of the Korean language, I was curious what you guys do to improve your Korean. My current strategy is to simply try to memorize 20 words a day using a rehearsing application. I also use Hellotalk to meet Koreans nearby to get into conversation and practice my pronunciation. I rarely but sometimes use HiNative for small questions like ''What's the difference between X and Y''. On the side I use TTMIK forwhenever I want to get more specific into grammar and conversations. 

TL;DR

What is/are your methods for memorization:
What books do you recommend: 
What applications do you use for memorization:
Tips: 

When I had attempted to learn Korean a few years ago, I got my hands on some scripts from Korean dramas. I read it in Hangul and tried to figure out what they were saying. I don't know if that helps lol. I also searched on Amazon for cheap Korean language books. I went to the local library for Korean children's books too for vocabulary purposes. 

On 6/13/2017 at 5:55 AM, RobinB said:

Hey guys, as an enthusiast of the Korean language, I was curious what you guys do to improve your Korean. My current strategy is to simply try to memorize 20 words a day using a rehearsing application. I also use Hellotalk to meet Koreans nearby to get into conversation and practice my pronunciation. I rarely but sometimes use HiNative for small questions like ''What's the difference between X and Y''. On the side I use TTMIK forwhenever I want to get more specific into grammar and conversations. 

TL;DR

What is/are your methods for memorization:
What books do you recommend: 
What applications do you use for memorization:
Tips: 

What is a rehearsing application?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a few grammar textbooks/workbooks, I also use audio programs like Rosetta Stone [though I find that I get more out of listening to/following drama plots because I'm paying more attention]. I practice my reading with kids' books that I find at my local library or online. For rote memorization, I use Memrise. 

My only real tips would be to set aside a set amount of time to study each day [even 10-15 mins is fine] and make sure you study that amount of time. Also, don't give up if you don't see progress as fast as you'd like. Everyone learns at a different pace and the excitement is real when you find yourself understanding entire sentences/paragraphs. It doesn't matter if it takes you longer to learn than others, the key is consistency. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi. I'm relearning Korean language. So far, I am able to write vowels, double vowels, combined vowels. All 21 of them. I also say the vowels out loud to make sure I'm pronouncing it correctly. I repeat it everyday until it becomes familiar to me. I'm taking my time in learning this langauge. Patience is the key.

I have google translate in case I want to translate words from English to Korean. Since the app has voice recognition, I use it to say korean words and check whether it is translated correctly in English. In that way, I know that I'm saying it properly.

I also memorize Lorean words and try to use it in simple sentences.

I also listen to korean music like Don't Worry and I have a lover. I watch korean drama and try to listen to how they say words.

Hope this helps.

Happy learning!

• SC2019 locked this topic

Archived