[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Legend of Fuyao 扶摇

sugarplum892

10 minutes ago, poptartz said:
  Hide contents

Translation (There are too many words in the dialogue that don't have a direct translation to English so bear with me)

Jiang Feng: For the past few days, why didn't Young Master visit Ms. Fuyao?

Wuji: When did you become a nosybody? (Wuji is suggesting that his bodyguard likes to involve himself in others' businesses)

Wuji: Why should I visit her everyday?

Jiang Feng: Is the Young Master still mad at Ms. Fuyao? (He said 赌气. An example would be a boyfriend and girlfriend getting into a fight, but neither would admit their wrongs until the other apologizes. As a result, they would ignore each other.

Wuji: 赌气? Am I the kind of person who gives off an attitude?

Jiang Feng: Usually, Young Master has everything in control and I've never seen Young Master like this. However, ever since Ms. Fuyao's appearance, Young Master has shown some human emotions / side of him. (Jiang Feng is trying to say that Wuji rarely showed any emotions)

Wuji: Are you saying that I used to be inhuman? 

Jiang Feng: I don't dare to say so.

Wuji: This girl sure has an stubborn attitude. After she berated me on that day (referring to when FY yelled at Wuji for using Eldest Princess' trust on her to find out Eldest Princess' secrets), I don't feel good. Do you think I am the kind of person who loves to control people's hearts and exploit other people's trust?

Jiang Feng: That is because Young Master is wise

Wuji: But I won't use FY (He is trying to say that he doesn't want to involve/use FY in his schemes)

Jiang Feng: That's why Young Master is going out of his way to make Concubine Tang Queen. In Young Master's heart, you truly care for Ms. Fuyao. You are scared that she will be involved in Tai Yuan's political conflict.

Wuji: I've been too benevolent with you lately. 

Well we know consort Tang will not be queen :)

Just now, yohinata said:

Well we know consort Tang will not be queen :)

@poptartz you are awesome! Thank you for translating. 

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, poptartz said:

About Ep. 28

Hide contents

I hope they don't troll the audience by making the marriage ceremony the last few minutes of the episode.... I don't want to wait another three days for this arc to conclude

I feel like that is going to happen. 

I read too many spoilers as I am still on ep 17. So just not reading.

If one has no access to DF- wrong country anyway- what is the streaming site release schedule? I cannot work out- using Korean or Taiwan timezone- when the episodes comes out. DF vs Steaming sites vs viki.

I have viki so knows it is Mon to Thur but what I want to know are the days when the streaming sites posts the episodes.

Feeling conflicted now as I have read the contents of the posts. Without wanting to know massive future plot spoilers- I really don't- there are still scenes which I don't understand because I rarely watch historical dramas. So I don't know if it js normal implied knowledge or I missed something. Can anyone please tag me with the answers so I don't read  other spoiler- heavy posts accidentally? I like the pace of this drama and don't compare it to others since I haven't watched TMOPB or any other dramas.

Questions:

1. Where did I miss the part where FY is an archaeologist and a servant?

2. Er, does that mean WJ would have slept with all the other concubines? Like I said I am still to start ep 17 but I skipped through- not sure if was subbed or not at that time- as I understand some Chinese. Anyway ep 21/22  just came out on viki. I swear all the women look the same, have no clue how you guys tell whom is who. They almost look the same. And all the subplots with each women has lost me.

So he slept with them all already? And I can't tell one headgear from another. So when they wore all these modernised versions of this fantasy golden flowery headwear- was there some drama reference to rank here- that as a Chinese drama watching I should know? Who outranks whom vs who slept with the King vs what else?

Sorry. There is a reason why I am lost here and why I rarely watch historical. I somehow accidentally got sucked into the story and am now totally lost with what is implied vs I am totally wrong vs what is actually happening.

Or is everything crystal clear to you all? And I am a new viewer. It is a sad thing that I didn't even realize I might have liked these dramas as a kid but as an adult somehow ended up understanding a sageuk more. Since I understand the Korean political rules more. But all these fantasy elements of chasing objects and all those internal energy transference. Plus all the CG effects here have lost me.

Wikipedia or somewhere states that Fuyao is ? a bespelled Crown Princess?

I am still clueless who is WJ in relation to the Deep Water false CP later King. And how he can manipulate water.

And he has ? 20 ( didn't bother counting)  concubines and so far whom have they highlighted? I only know B*itchy #1 then a nicer one? Beyond that....all those women turning up in the bath vs bedroom look the same. Or are they different women and I can't tell them apart? I swear I watched 3 modern dramas this year and I looked at the actresses and they all have oval faces, double eyelids, thicker lips, high bridged nose and I ( even though am a Chinese ) look at them and go- can't tell them apart when I am trying to work out supporting casts. Born overseas and I never get to speak Chinese in my daily life. And don't hear it except if I watch dramas like now. I am sure there are Chinese drama knowledge somewhere where I should understand the scenes right? 

Thanks for any answers.

3 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

If one has no access to DF- wrong country anyway- what is the streaming site release schedule? I cannot work out- using Korean or Taiwan timezone- when the episodes comes out. DF vs Steaming sites vs viki.

I have viki so knows it is Mon to Thur but what I want to know are the days when the streaming sites posts the episodes.

Feeling conflicted now as I have read the contents of the posts. Without wanting to know massive future plot spoilers- I really don't- there are still scenes which I don't understand because I rarely watch historical dramas. So I don't know if it js normal implied knowledge or I missed something. Can anyone please tag me with the answers so I don't read  other spoiler- heavy posts accidentally? I like the pace of this drama and don't compare it to others since I haven't watched TMOPB or any other dramas.

Questions:

2. Er, does that mean WJ would have slept with all the other concubines? Like I said I am still to start ep 17 but I skipped through- not sure if was subbed or not at that time- as I understand some Chinese. Anyway ep 21/22  just came out on viki. I swear all the women look the same, have no clue how you guys tell whom is who. They almost look the same. And all the subplots with each women has lost me.

So he slept with them all already? And I can't tell one headgear from another. So when they wore all these modernised versions of this fantasy golden flowery headwear- was there some drama reference to rank here- that as a Chinese drama watching I should know? Who outranks whom vs who slept with the King vs what else?

Sorry. There is a reason why I am lost here and why I rarely watch historical. I somehow accidentally got sucked into the story and am now totally lost with what is implied vs I am totally wrong vs what is actually happening.

Or is everything crystal clear to you all? And I am a new viewer. It is a sad thing that I didn't even realize I might have liked these dramas as a kid but as an adult somehow ended up understanding a sageuk more. Since I understand the Korean political rules more. But all these fantasy elements of chasing objects and all those internal energy transference. Plus all the CG effects here have lost me.

I am still clueless who is WJ in relation to the Deep Water false CP later King. And how he can manipulate water.

And he has ? 20 ( didn't bother counting)  concubines and so far whom have they highlighted? I only know B*itchy #1 then a nicer one? Beyond that....all those women turning up in the bath vs bedroom look the same. Or are they different women and I can't tell them apart? I swear I watched 3 modern dramas this year and I looked at the actresses and they all have oval faces, double eyelids, thicker lips, high bridged nose and I ( even though am a Chinese ) look at them and go- can't tell them apart when I am trying to work out supporting casts. Born overseas and I never get to speak Chinese in my daily life. And don't hear it except if I watch dramas like now. I am sure there are Chinese drama knowledge somewhere where I should understand the scenes right? 

Thanks for any answers.

No he will not. His body devoted only to Fuyao 

1 minute ago, yohinata said:

No he will not. His body devoted only to Fuyao 

Rewatch episode 7 so you will understand who WJ is and what his mission is and how he was able to manipulate water. You probably best to rewatch the whole thing so you don't miss the dialogue.  Gets better each time I rewatch it because I actually pay attention to the dialogue. 

3 hours ago, yohinata said:

I am so new to using soompi and still learning. Haven't been in here for years. 

Not specifically at you but I have enough trouble keeping to ep 17-24 for this week without reading anymore. 

I am cross now because even if I dont want to know I will now be looking for Tang from ep 17. Shesh.

That's why- this time not specifically for you- my previous post asked that I be tagged to avoid reading spoilers. Because I am still stuck all those fluttery females looking the same.

@yohinata thanks. I will watch 7 again. 

I can't rewatch the whole thing because normally I am not a rewatch person. And 2 no time and too many episodes. I am normally a 16 episode Kdrama viewer. Besides after all these talks about the actress am just starting ep 1 of fhe peach blossom drama.

I will rewatch ep 7 and then limp along trying to understand then. 66 episodes is a horrendously long drama for me to follow. And I am already following 4 on air Kdramas. Sad to say I can watch a raw Kdrama episode and understand it but each raw episode of this drama is a puzzle to me. I can understand the ordinary conversation but the plotting is beyond me.

32 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

Questions:

Thanks for any answers.

:D I’ll answer the first question cause that’s basically sort of not a spoiler. That’s basically from the novel. In the novel Fuyao travels back in time. So that plot or story line is NOT in the tv series. 

Viki and DF have basically the same schedule Mon -Thurs. DF barely is first with their subtitles, but you can watch it raw at Viki while you wait for their subtitles. 

The rest of your questions are spoilerish so it’s up to you if you want to delve further or not. Wikipedia kind of did a spoiler on the tv show. Some folks get to see 4 or 5 (or is it 8?) episodes a week AHEAD of the broadcast/Viki/DF so that’s why it’s a little bit confusing. 

I don’t know if this will confuse you even further, but you could start reading the novel or watch another Chinese drama too? The translator, who’s translating the novel, at the end explains some vocabulary or items a little bit more in depth. However, they have changed a lot so maybe watching another Chinese historical drama will maybe help you better. 

I also have a question about ep. 25...

Spoiler

So the Elder Princess did have a daughter? She kept believing FY is her child if I'm understanding. What happen to her kid or whoever she is referring? 

@nrbrown gotcha. Aha! She is a time traveller. Lol. I didn't catch that in the beginning with all the reference to the older guy raising her as a baby.

Oh the women? I will finish ep 24 by end of this week. I don't want to know ep 25 onwards. It was more of the whole Chinese asking FY to enter the Palace then all the other women. Then they are called concubines. Then who becomes a consort as in their headwear changes? Then even in ep 17-20 alone I couldn't even work out when the scene changes whether the director implied the consummation was done? Or you can't do it till you're married?

So not really spoiler answers but more like... is this the sequence for a historical drama. Invited into palace then marry then change headwear or only after sleeping with the King. The problem is that there are 2 different subs. Sometimes I watch it with viki sometimes with DF. And when I watch raw I hear what I know I remembered hearing as a child watching these shows. And the English becomes this mundane line. The English sentences have been confusing to me sometimes.

So in the novel FY is a time traveller. Got it. Didn't finish reading the wiki entry to avoid spoilers. Like I said am enjoying the drama as it unfolds.

4 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

@nrbrown gotcha. Aha! She is a time traveller. Lol. I didn't catch that in the beginning with all the reference to the older guy raising her as a baby.

Oh the women? I will finish ep 24 by end of this week. I don't want to know ep 25 onwards. It was more of the whole Chinese asking FY to enter the Palace then all the other women. Then they are called concubines. Then who becomes a consort as in their headwear changes? Then even in ep 17-20 alone I couldn't even work out when the scene changes whether the director implied the consummation was done? Or you can't do it till you're married?

So not really spoiler answers but more like... is this the sequence for a historical drama. Invited into palace then marry then change headwear or only after sleeping with the King. The problem is that there are 2 different subs. Sometimes I watch it with viki sometimes with DF. And when I watch raw I hear what I know I remembered hearing as a child watching these shows. And the English becomes this mundane line. The English sentences have been confusing to me sometimes.

So in the novel FY is a time traveller. Got it. Didn't finish reading the wiki entry to avoid spoilers. Like I said am enjoying the drama as it unfolds.

Hi there. 

-To clarify, Wuji (the king) has not slept with any of the women or will he.  If he sleeps with anyone, it will be Fuyao :D 

-May I ask if you're watching with English subs or another language?  If English then there shouldn't be any significant difference between Viki and DF.  The plots and details should be the same. As @nrbrown mentioned, a lot of us here are watching 4 episodes ahead so those are what all the spoilers are from.  That's why you're getting confused as they're not shown yet on Viki or DF.

-I know it's a very long drama compared to k-dramas but I highly suggest you start from the beginning and make your way through slowly without skipping scenes.  By the time you get to the court scenes you'll see the faces of the consorts so many times that you won't be confused as to who is whom. 

I usually don't like very long ancient C-dramas but Fuyao and Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms are two that are totally worth the episodes count.  After finishing Ten Miles, I'd wished it had been even longer lol.

Can anyone tell me if this is a complete drama? I've been burnt too many times in the past with C dramas that have been half made with no commitment from the cast or production team for a second instalment. I don't mind sad endings as long as there are endings and not ridiculous cliffhangers. 

The first 40 minutes of the drama feels very formulaic... and not in a good way... Mischievous girl who's a reputed troublemaker who obviously does't belong in a clan hierarchy. The gradual coming together of a harem. The jealous rival who vies for the affection of the young master.  And they manage to even throw in a palace coup into the mix. BUT the moment Ethan wakes up, it feels like a completely different drama. One that has the potential to be far more interesting. Some of it obviously has to do with Ethan himself who is usually good value. 

1 hour ago, ck1Oz said:

Thanks for any answers.

Imperial harem rankings depend on the dynasty/era. But most dramas don't follow the ranking to the T. In the drama so far, he has 4 main consorts and they are more or less the same rank (fu ren).  In ep 19, Wuji needs to select (in said order) Gui, De, Shu, and Xian before selecting an empress. The four ladies would be directly under the Empress. The rest of his harem I am guessing are just lady in waiting rank. 

@ck1Oz 

Usually all are concubines in the beginning and once they gain favor with the king they become consorts (slowly gaining a level so to speak). The main way to gain a level is to beget a heir and the heir apparent hence the reason for their wish to enter the king’s bedchamber. In this story King  Wuji basically did everything straight away and fast...I think now the ultimate level is to become the Queen. And basically the boss of the harem.

Spoiler

basically to watch for, after watching some historical dramas, is that concubines who are usually kind hearted in the beginning are in fact evil. NOTE: I have watched up to episode 20. So in the story they could just be straightforward, and just choose the most obvious villain obnoxious consort. Don’t remember their names at the moment to tell you the truth..

But if you are interested in watching more Chinese historical dramas that are pretty good..

1.Ten Miles of Peach Blossom is great story. More along the lines of fantasy..

2. Princess Agents is a good story too. Just the ending.....

3. The King’s Woman is a good story. Just a tear breaker, but it does show a little bit of palace intrigue. 

4.FemaleAssassins in the Palace  palace intrigue to the max 

5. Lost love in Times: some elements of palace intrigue and fantasy..

@40somethingahjumma A complete drama? As in is it worth it or has it been completed? 

Worth it? Yes, cause there’s Ethan :lol: At the moment I’m seeing some faults to tell you the truth, so I’m going to just say that at this exact moment I’m preferring the novel. It could change tho..

complete drama? no still going on being broadcast in China as we speak...so to speak..;) 

your guess is as good as mine if the tv show once completed will be recommended or not....

3 hours ago, poptartz said:

About Ep. 28

Hide contents

I hope they don't troll the audience by making the marriage ceremony the last few minutes of the episode.... I don't want to wait another three days for this arc to conclude

@poptartz unfortunately.. I won't be surprised.

And I have a feeling.. 

Spoiler

It will end with the 2 leads getting ready to face off Qi Zhen and then..... THE END.

Thank you everyone @nrbrown, @moon-flower @lan_lan @yohinata who answered.

It makes it clearer now. Sad to say I actually didn't skip scenes. Hahaha. I just didn't understand when they talk which parts are significant. They just went over my head. I swear I can tell how a Korean King's  consorts are named but the Chinese ones? Nope.  I never even knew " fu ren " is consort vs Queen. I am watching with whichever subs is ready when I have time. But have a tendency to watch it raw to get the gist. Just don't understand the plot details when they talk.

Thanks for the recommendations for other dramas. Let me get my head round this drama. Then Ten miles of peach blossom before I go any further. These 2 will be enough to blow my tiny brain trying to understand. I have a habit of listening not just watching with English subs.

2 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

Questions:

And he has ? 20 ( didn't bother counting)  concubines and so far whom have they highlighted? I only know B*itchy #1 then a nicer one? Beyond that....all those women turning up in the bath vs bedroom look the same. Or are they different women and I can't tell them apart? 

Hello @ck1Oz. Welcome!

Do you watch the kdrama - Empress Ki?

The harem in Legend of Fuyao in my opinion is somewhat similar like kdrama Empress Ki.

Basically everyone is vying to be Queen for power. 

But don't worry about the so many women in the Harem. Our male lead here only has eyes for 1 woman.

His 4 concubines (let's differentiate them in terms of colors that they wear)

Concubine Yuwen Zi - our female lead in disguise wearing pink. With a birth mark on the right side of her face

Concubine Tang  Zhirong - the lady in purple with a stubby nose and has annoying dubbed sweet voice

Concubine Jian Xue - the lady in white, bunking in the same palace with our female lead. Who always appear cool and collected

Concubine Gao Puruo - irritating woman in black/red who always throw a hissy fit and is extremely annoying.

The rest of the girls are just extras. No need to sweat over knowing them.

Q2: As for our male lead, his identity is still a mystery in the drama. But he has MAD SKILLS. Lol

If you are already confused. I would advise you not to read the Novel but just focus on the drama from the start or concentrate on wherever you have stop.

And when you see spoiler tag? Resist! 

Q1 is from the Novel.

Wikipedia is usually updated based on novel. As the story unfolds, somehow it will be updated based on the drama.

In drama, there's no mention of Fuyao's identity or background as it's still a mystery. We only know she was abandoned since young and had the 5 coloured stone on her.

So up to you to remove the novel part from your memory database.

Treat this like any kdrama just that for cdrama... The identity/background/history of each character will slowly be revealed in bite size form throughout the drama. (I hope at least for this drama - Fuyao)

3 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

Questions:

Thanks for any answers.

1. The archaeologist background is something from the novel, in which Fuyao was transported back in time. However, China has a law that prohibits TV from airing shows related to time travel as there was an incident before where two girls attempted to drown themselves, thinking that they can travel back in time. As you can see so far, Fuyao is a women who has principals and beliefs that befit a contemporary women (i.e. everyone is born equal and her refusal to subject to the status quo). In the original novel, Fuyao isn't a slave, but just a disciple. The writers probably made her a slave to instill the belief that people who are born from lower statuses should be treated equally.

2. Based on what we know so far, Wuji hasn't slept with any of the women. The most he did is physical contact.

As for differentiating the women, you can usually tell by their headgear and attire. Women of higher status in the harem usually have more headgear (gold is usually a good indicator too) and clothes that have complex designs.

3. These fantasy elements are part of a subgenre of Chinese literature - Wuxia / Xianxia. If you have time try to search for Wuxia / Xianxia jargons on google to better understand this genre.

4. What the wiki stated is true. I have explained FY's backstory before based on the novel. The drama may deviate on how her background is revealed, but if you want to have a general understanding I'll post it later. Her background is still a princess. Chinese dramas usually have a dedicated page that gives a extremely vague summary of the drama such as (X girl meets Y guy. They travel the world together to defeat the evil) and spoils the information about each character such as their personalities, likes, and identities

5. As someone above stated, you can better understand Wuji on Ep7. 

Spoiler

In the very beginning of the drama, you can see Qi Zhen (the prime minister) plotting a coup on the Xuan Yuan Family (The Royal Family of the Deep Water Kingdom). The Deep Water Royal Family is responsible for manipulating water source in this world. Without the Xuan Yuan Family to manipulate the water in the world, the aquatic bodies in the world will run rampant, bringing disaster to the citizens of the 5 countries. The rule in the current world is that ONLY the Xuan Yuan Family can manipulate water. If the Xuan Yuan Family were to be wiped out, then the duty is transferred to the Tian Quan Kingdom (The Kingdom that the Wuji is Crown Prince). Apparently the Deep Water Kingdom used to belong to the Tian Quan Kingdom. 

Because of this rule, the prime minister had to delay his plan of ascending the throne since if he were to completely wipe out the Xuan Yuan bloodline, the Tian Quan Kingdom will take over the Deep Water Kingdom. The prime minister then sent for his men to capture Xuan Yuan Ming (he appears in Ep 1, begging Fuyao for help), a descendant of the Xuan Yuan Family. In the process of retrieving Xuan Yuan Ming, Wuji impersonated himself as Xuan Yuan Ming. Wuji, ordered by his father (King of Tian Quan), impersonated Xuan Yuan Ming to put an end to the political conflict in the Deep Water Kingdom.

6. Let me explain how concubines are selected into the harem

Usually the King/Emperor will send a decree, stating that he is selecting potential women to enter his harem. Usually these women come from families with backgrounds (ie their families are court officials or military leaders). These potential harem women then gather at the palace where they are checked for things such as their virginity, identity, beauty, and etc. Then, on a specific day, the King/Emperor will have the finalized group of potential concubines brought before him. He then chooses women that he desires from the group; however, he also has to consider the political background of each women so some women are chosen because of their families' power.

As for Wuji's harem, it's probably double digits; however, there are only 4 women that appear on screen. These 4 women are Fuyao, Jian Xue, Tang Zhi Rong, and Gao (forgot her name). Each of them are given the titles Shu, De, Gui, and Xian respectively. In this story, when the Deep Water King chooses concubines, he gives 4 women the aforementioned titles and proceeds to elect a Queen from the 4. The other women he chose are given a lower status/title.

Since the Kingdoms in this story never existed in Chinese history, there isn't a real title list that we as the audience can follow since each Chinese dynasty have different titles that the Emperor bestows upon his concubines.

1 hour ago, ck1Oz said:

Thank you everyone @nrbrown, @moon-flower @lan_lan @yohinata who answered.

It makes it clearer now. Sad to say I actually didn't skip scenes. Hahaha. I just didn't understand when they talk which parts are significant. They just went over my head. I swear I can tell how a Korean King's  consorts are named but the Chinese ones? Nope.  I never even knew " fu ren " is consort vs Queen. I am watching with whichever subs is ready when I have time. But have a tendency to watch it raw to get the gist. Just don't understand the plot details when they talk.

Thanks for the recommendations for other dramas. Let me get my head round this drama. Then Ten miles of peach blossom before I go any further. These 2 will be enough to blow my tiny brain trying to understand. I have a habit of listening not just watching with English subs.

Chinese high-level consorts usually have predetermined names. For example, in this story, they are Gui, Shu, De, and Xian. The King decides which concubine is conferred these titles. 

On the other hand, some dynasties allow the emperor/king to choose the name for his concubines or they are just referred to by Family Name + their concubine status. For example, the concubine's last name is Li and her concubine level is fu ren, then she is referred to as Li Fu Ren

2 hours ago, nrbrown said:

@40somethingahjumma A complete drama? As in is it worth it or has it been completed? 

Worth it? Yes, cause there’s Ethan :lol: At the moment I’m seeing some faults to tell you the truth, so I’m going to just say that at this exact moment I’m preferring the novel. It could change tho..

complete drama? no still going on being broadcast in China as we speak...so to speak..;) 

your guess is as good as mine if the tv show once completed will be recommended or not....

My question was really about whether the show has a beginning, middle and an end. :D I'm not too concern if it's a faithful adaptation as long as there's closure. It's just that lately there have been far too many C dramas that start well but don't have any proper closure.

I am reasonably certain that Ethan will be bring his A game and I am only considering this because he's in it. ;) And I like his character already in Episode 2. Yang Mi's character feels very much the archetypal female heroin of contemporary wuxia so while it's okay, I'm not especially excited by it.

But thanks for your response. Appreciate it. :)

Archived