[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

3 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I mean not every male was the same sure Most Male's did that but not all of them, he wants ML to have a good husband he most likely just does not think that is GTY.

Well they cut the concubines i hope they cut all these maids as well. 

Also what happens with the Yuan family the older sister is there does she get any support or help because in recent episode her kid was taken away. 

Hualan will have a hard time for a while.

Spoiler

Her MIL is slowly draining away Hualan's dowry. Then whenever she gets mad at Hualan she makes demands and the Sheng family have to send something expensive to pacify her. Hualan's son almost got burned coz he was left alone by the MIL in the room with a burning stove. His little sister was passing by and saw her brother about to get burned so jumped in front of him and saved him. She ended up getting burned instead and had scars on her arms and hands....her brother too got a bit burned. He got scarred near his eye. After that Hualan had enough and begged her husband to get her child back. But her MIL still kept making trouble. She was taking money from other daughter in law too. Situation became that Hualan and her kids wore old mended clothes. And she had nothing new to wear on her sisters wedding. She had to sell one of her jewelry for the money.

After ML and GTY marriage, Hualan used to come visit ML frequently. So ML gave her an idea to get a concubine for her Father in law....so that her MIL will have no time to bully the Daughters in law. Concubine quickly became the favorite and started helping Hualan handle the Mother in law....by getting the father in law involved.

I think I skipped Hualan's chapters coz I don't remember this at all....but I recently read this on the spoiler site so just posting it here.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

28 minutes ago, mingerling said:

im sorry to ask but can someone pls translate what minglan says to GTY when he is treating her wound, and what he says back? ep 35 near the 24min mark

Spoiler

Just understand some part. Ml thanking gty for saving his life. She will pay him back with her life. And when gty went to his horse ml said i'll wait for you to comeback. Gty replied i'll come back if you are waiting for me. And ml whisper i didn't mean that.  Correct me if i'm wrong my fellow soompier. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, lilkat75 said:

Did anyone find Sheng Hong's reaction hilarious in episode 32 when he caught Molan red-handed? :w00t: That scream lol :joy:

Present here:Dand also Daniang's supposed to be victory celebration that turns out into dillema:D hahaha such a funny scene cracking up on my bed:D

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, mingerling said:

im sorry to ask but can someone pls translate what minglan says to GTY when he is treating her wound, and what he says back? ep 35 near the 24min mark

GTY said, You and I really must have a fate together. Whenever you are in distress, you run into me. 

ML said,  yes you are my life saviour. when I go back home I'll make a you a longevity tablet and burn incense.

GTY is not convinced with her gratitude. So she says these are not empty words but I really want to repay you for all you done for me.

GTY asks, how can you repay me.

ML said, with my life.

GTY said, what would I do with your life.

ML said there are only few people in this world who I can repay with my life. My mother, my granny and you.

GTY then asked, what about your husband to be...something like that

ML asked him, what does he know about that.

He changes the subject and gives her some instructions to take care of the wound. And tells her to wait until dawn and look out for his flare or something. And if he fails in coming back...he has arranged someone for her to take her home. 

I didn't get all the sentences....some words were not making sense on Google translate.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, dito said:

GTY said, You and I really must have a fate together. Whenever you are in distress, you run into me. 

ML said,  yes you are my life saviour. when I go back home I'll make a you a longevity tablet and burn incense.

GTY is not convinced with her gratitude. So she says these are not empty words but I really want to repay you for all you done for me.

GTY asks, how can you repay me.

ML said, with my life.

GTY said, what would I do with your life.

ML said there are only few people in this world who I can repay with my life. My mother, my granny and you.

GTY then asked, what about your husband to be...something like that

ML asked him, what does he know about that.

He changes the subject and gives her some instructions to take care of the wound. And tells her to wait until dawn and look out for his flare or something. And if he fails in coming back...he has arranged someone for her to take her home. 

I didn't get all the sentences....some words were not making sense on Google translate.

Poor guy was basically making a declaration; it was really foreshadowing even her including him with her mother and granny

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, fra8 said:

Poor guy was basically making a declaration; it was really foreshadowing even her including him with her mother and granny

The way his look became intense told everything about his feelings. If only ML had paid attention to his expressions.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

Cb's expression when he caught rulan was epic.. Keep on saying aiya.. Ha ha. Pity him. Gty you are black belly. That was you best friend. How could you

•  
  •  
  • 006LXIElly1fz7o3njzpbj31120ku40c.jpg

I cracked up at that!

Spoiler

GTY should’ve spared the poor guy and told him it was minglan he’s after :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 8

10 hours ago, leeza77 said:

Zyl was not that popular during the filming of this drama. He gained his popularity through the soul town which was broadcasted after the filming of this drama. My answerwhy he took this role is why not??? The producer is Noon production one of the best production, the cast are zly who is known as the queen of rating, the script is excellent, the director is outstanding, the one who directed famously received drama NIF and love me if you dare and the drama is a guaranteed success. Who doesn't wany to involve on this big oustanding IP. And his character involved a lot of emotion which require a high degree of acting talent. It's a good exposure to him. Being called names by the audience is nothing to the actor. It show the his acting was a success the give a huge impact to the audience. 

Agree. ZYL wasn't famous back then and QH was the best role he could get his hands on, and I see no problems, he did a good job.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JoycceeDreamer said:

I just want to know what happened in the conversation between the Emperor, Prince Zhao, and GTY after the rebellion. Anyone want to enlighten us? 

Emperor knew GTY but Prince Zhao had no idea, he thought GTY was Bai Ye. So when the Emperor recognized him and called Er Lang directly, he and his son were a bit shocked. I felt they were actually a bit unease about it. They might even have a second thought about it. But GTY was really quick-witted. He talked with the emperor and took the opportunity to ask the emperor why he gave the order that he could not attend the official exam before 50 years old. A clever move to show Prince Zhao and his son why he ended up in the army with them. Then the Emperor told the Prince to treat GTY and the Gu Family well.

PS: the pages go too fast. My last check was at 70+, now is already 90+. Too many pages to catch up. Orz

• Like 13

15 minutes ago, nnnju said:

Emperor knew GTY but Prince Zhao had no idea, he thought GTY was Bai Ye. So when the Emperor recognized him and called Er Lang directly, he and his son were a bit shocked. I felt they were actually a bit unease about it. They might even have a second thought about it. But GTY was really quick-witted. He talked with the emperor and took the opportunity to ask the emperor why he gave the order that he could not attend the official exam before 50 years old. A clever move to show Prince Zhao and his son why he ended up in the army with them. Then the Emperor told the Prince to treat GTY and the Gu Family well.

PS: the pages go too fast. My last check was at 70+, now is already 90+. Too many pages to catch up. Orz

I was thinking about that too... because since the Emperor punished GTY with the exam, I was thinking if he would even be able to assist the next emperor in line. What did the Emperor say to GTY? Anyone know? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nichiwoohee said:

I cracked up at that!

Reveal hidden contents

GTY should’ve spared the poor guy and told him it was minglan he’s after :lol:

I wonder how things would have gone if GTY did not trick anyone... if he in the beginning just asked for ML. Since the novel is different from the drama... it would be nice to see if grandma would leave it up to ML .. and if ML would have agreed to this marriage .. 

Even when CB told his parents about it ...

Spoiler

I wonder if they were surprised because they don't want their daughter to marry GTY or they did? 

• Like 5

I see many have posted that QH didn't understand ML, I think that's debatable.

First, QH never stated why he liked ML and viewers just assumed that he loved her bc he thought she was a kind-hearted innocent girl. Remember he grew up in a aristocrat household (with all its dark side, like Sheng family), he was sheltered so that he didn't encounter any significant hardships, which lead to his optimism, but it doesn't mean that he was blinded and couldn't see through people. On the contrary, I think he had good eyes in seeing people. Evidence: he never got swayed by Molan or any other girls with both beauty and status around him (he WAS the most wanted man, lots of temptation). I believe he set eyes on ML cuz he felt something different in her, he might not know everything about her right now, but he definitely got a general idea. Proof: later he knows everything and still loves her (and he's not surprised at all). So it's unfair to assume things about him that wasn't shown.

Second, some says he wasn't thinking about her safety when declaring his love for her. I disagree. Actually there were no actual danger ML has encountered from now came from QH. Tbh, before the things with princess Jiajing, there were no problems at all. Of course his mother was a cunning women, but aside from not accepting ML, she never did anything to her. His relationship with her was just a problem between the Sheng and Qi family and was never made official or public, so ML's reputation was not at real risk (as seen later it didn't affect her marriage potential). When she was actually in danger bc of princess Jiajing, he did what he had to do and gave her up, so I really didn't know what everyone is so stressed and criticizing about?

Based on effort alone, GTY can never compare to QH. Cuz he never suffers, sacrifices or risking that much for ML. And he gave her up in a situation where (everyone has to agree) there were no other way out (and please with GTY's solution, it was ridiculous and would place everyone in a greater danger). Unlike what most viewers think from the conversation between QH and GTY, I think QH did the right thing while GTY was being unreasonable and impulsive. After all GTY didn't get her fair and square either. QH just didn't figure out the right method, but he had good intentions. QH failed, doesn't mean he was all wrong, GTY succeeded, doesn't mean he was all right (in their relationships with ML). I have to say the author made it pretty easy for him in getting ML.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fra8 said:

Really? 

In the book he never had other women, even if one tried to push herself on him especially  during the fall out . ( if I got this right) But he was faithful.

That's good to know! I hope they stay faithful to the book then. 

6 hours ago, bulubulu said:

I dont think he went to look for another woman. I think he went to drink and a woman try to touch his hand but he moved away, no hugging. That's what i saw in the trailer. Same i hope the fight doesn't last long too. I dont even want to think about it, already feel hurt just by thinking.

6 hours ago, Lunkera said:

I doubt he will be unfaithful. It will just be an misunderstanding.

5 hours ago, dito said:

I think in the book....Hugging when drunk happened with ML.

In the book he had concubines in the Gu house too. But he never paid much attention to them. When he got married to ML he kind of promised her...he won't go to anyone else. He also told her to do what she wants with his previous concubines. Make them work or sell them off. When ML and GTY had a fight and started sleeping separately, these concubines and the other maids who wanted to climb the ranks started getting ideas. Maids from his step mom and his aunts, even maids from Da niang tried to take advantage of the quarrel between ML and GTY.  I don't know if I remember this correctly, but GTY got tired of all the women and forbade any female from coming into his study...

Trailers and previews are mostly misleading as they are not in sequence. So I'm not too worried about it. 

Went back to watch that trailer again...so the forehead kiss was MN that was before his imperial exam? Lol. That's misleading alright! 

:sweatingbullets:

I just hope he will stay by his words to be true to her (that's what he said at the beginning of the trailer right? I hope I didn't get that wrong too, with my limited understanding of Chinese!) :wacko:

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

I see many have posted that QH didn't understand ML, I think that's debatable.

First, QH never stated why he liked ML and viewers just assumed that he loved her bc he thought she was a kind-hearted innocent girl. Remember he grew up in a aristocrat household (with all its dark side, like Sheng family), he was sheltered so that he didn't encounter any significant hardships, which lead to his optimism, but it doesn't mean that he was blinded and couldn't see through people. On the contrary, I think he had good eyes in seeing people. Evidence: he never got swayed by Molan or any other girls with both beauty and status around him (he WAS the most wanted man, lots of temptation). I believe he set eyes on ML cuz he felt something different in her, he might not know everything about her right now, but he definitely got a general idea. Proof: later he knows everything and still loves her (and he's not surprised at all). So it's unfair to assume things about him that wasn't shown.

Second, some says he wasn't thinking about her safety when declaring his love for her. I disagree. Actually there were no actual danger ML has encountered from now came from QH. Tbh, before the things with princess Jiajing, there were no problems at all. Of course his mother was a cunning women, but aside from not accepting ML, she never did anything to her. His relationship with her was just a problem between the Sheng and Qi family and was never made official or public, so ML's reputation was not at real risk (as seen later it didn't affect her marriage potential). When she was actually in danger bc of princess Jiajing, he did what he had to do and gave her up, so I really didn't know what everyone is so stressed and criticizing about?

Based on effort alone, GTY can never compare to QH. Cuz he never suffers, sacrifices or risking that much for ML. And he gave her up in a situation where (everyone has to agree) there were no other way out (and please with GTY's solution, it was ridiculous and would place everyone in a greater danger). Unlike what most viewers think from the conversation between QH and GTY, I think QH did the right thing while GTY was being unreasonable and impulsive. After all GTY didn't get her fair and square either. QH just didn't figure out the right method, but he had good intentions. QH failed, doesn't mean he was all wrong, GTY succeeded, doesn't mean he was all right (in their relationships with ML). I have to say the author made it pretty easy for him in getting ML.

Well, all I can see is one man who's willing and has the resolve to go all the way, one's never been able to decide what to do. The whole point of GTY's talk with QH is that if QH was a little more aggressive, not scared and worried of this and that, he would have married ML long before the Rong family and Yong Wang family laid eyes on him. The methods that GTY was talking about, I believe, was only some of the plans he came up with on a whim, if he had more time, I bet he could come up with an actual perfect scheme against Yong Wang Fei. I agree that sometimes his methods are not at all righteous,  but the most important thing is that he has the determination. This is not a perfect world, sometimes you have to break the rules to get what you want, at least he's never resort to blackmail (like Lin and Molan) or murder (like Yong Wang Fei) or hurt other people to achieve the match he wants. Heck, even Grandma acknowledges that he must have care about Minglan a lot to come up with such elaborated plan just so that he can marry her.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I always find these dramas to be in the “grey” zone in regards to characters being evil or not evil. When watching concubine Q Lin’s receiving her punishment, I didn’t really give a cheer. Or think to myself, good the bad guys/girls  get their just desserts. I only felt a sense of pity to tell you the truth. And more so to ML’s sister. 

I feel a sense of pity for her situation in life. Yes,  she could have married a “poorer” husband and become the first wife. But she felt that woman had to “survive”. The survival of the fittest mentality. No, I’m not justifying or feel that because of her situation she had to murder ML’s mother. I just think that the characters in the drama are depicted in such a way that morally there are grey overtones. 

Consequences for your actions? Yes, always. 

In regards to QH, I think he put ML in a pedestal. Longing for something that he cannot obtain. I actually meet a couple of guys like this (even when they have married for years). It’s pretty much the concept of young love or what could have been. I personally think it’s a waste of time to reminisce, but that their prerogrative. 

QH is in his own little purgatory  thinking of the past and not the future. I think there is correlation between the “old emperor” which is QH’s family and the future emperor which is the  ML and GLY’s future family. 

• Like 6