[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

5 hours ago, tomo74 said:

Jealousy makes people's brain shrink, molan smirk when she got told that madam Wu agreed to marry her with her son, not knowing she's going to live in hell smh.

@tomo74  Molan did something very stupid.. Madam Wu still was willingly to take her in with the exception of Ming lan being the first wife.. Her mom never thought of this her daughter could become the concubine in such house.. The older two sisters never told her the facts of the marriage talk but once Mdm Wu had to take her in of course she wasn't all to happy about having and unchaste daughter in law.. Mdm Wu may have told her son how can he be so sure that she was chaste when he slept with her.. If she willingly and so daring to sleep with him at a temple she showing and all the other nobles and his family that her chasity was tainted before marriage.. So of course Mdm Wu would make life hell for her because now she has tainted their home also..

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Seems like they move stuff earlier. 

I just hope the fight doesn't last that long in the drama...:tears:

Cuz in the trailer, he actually went to look for another woman or something? Just to spite ML...

There's a scene that he was hugging a woman looking a lil drunk...?

I do wonder how they will make up tho...

Really? 

In the book he never had other women, even if one tried to push herself on him especially  during the fall out . ( if I got this right) But he was faithful.

24 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Cuz in the trailer, he actually went to look for another woman or something? Just to spite ML...

I dont think he went to look for another woman. I think he went to drink and a woman try to touch his hand but he moved away, no hugging. That's what i saw in the trailer. Same i hope the fight doesn't last long too. I dont even want to think about it, already feel hurt just by thinking.

7 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

Actually, she did a lot of learning for embroidery as she thought it is only way for her to make money as she is Shu daughter, no property from Wei Yi Niang. When she went to Sheng’s main house in You Young, she did a lot of reasoning and talking about Shulan marriage with Pin Lan, her grandmom and first old madam. She just did not gallop around town to talk to prostitude head. There was another marriage interest (second cousin who became PL’s husband) and also met Li’s son who also became her admirer later when he came to capital to take imperial exam.

PL's Husband and LI' son who are they??

6 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

After seeing Zhu Yi Long’s great performance and being promoted so much by drama as second male lead, I felt bad that he took this QH’s role as for (1) not as many scenes being second male lead should have (2) have been written like as a character a lot of people are calling weak, wet-blanket, no backbone, selfish, inconsiderate (though I do not agree and only think he has been sheltered too much and naive) (3) no character growth 

Hide contents

From preview/trailer that shows his meeting with ML after her marriage with GTY, I’m getting really upset that “QH told her he loves her more than GTY as he dreams of her every night and she is in his heart all the time. ML responded by saying we both are married and no need to talk about the past.” Their conversation was seen by GTY. If this scene is going to happen, this is really character assassination of QH. You loved someone dearly but continued declaring your love to her after she got married (I don’t know QH gets married to his second wife or not). Imo, at that point, most audience will hate or even feel disgust with this character. I understand writers want to put in scenes for him as QH became pretty much non-existence in the book after 55 chapters, this is very unfair. That’s why I said above no character growth. In the drama, QH became just love-sick dellutional guy. 

I don’t know why ZYL accepted this QH role. Even in 2014, he was not popular yet but his second lead role in “love three life,” he got pretty much equal screen times throughout the drama though his character is pretty flawed and suffered one-sided love. (May be he worked with ZLY in a movie before and she invited him for this drama?) 

He accepted this role because the drama was going to be big and it is , hes also performing really well acting wise.

I see nothing wrong with him saying he cant sleep because hes thinking of ML if he suddenly moved on that would not suit his character at all. Its wrong to do that moral wise due to GTY/ML but i can understand why he said it. 

5 hours ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

If i'm not mistaken, i read somewhere on weibo that qh join the rebellion against the emperor (zhao). He might have to go against gty. And i presumed gty reluctant to hurt qh, thus he was punished by the emperor (the scene gty was in prison) 

I hope that does not happen and if QH really goes against GTY like that he will lose all respect i have for him.

4 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

It is from trailer on page 78, you quoted someone's posted that trailer. There was not much interaction between QH and ML after his marriage to princess in the book There was no proposal and love confession by QH at all even before he got married first time. The only time they met after ML's marriage was his twins' 100 days, ML misunderstood QH and got mad at him for including Min in his kids' names. In the trailer, I'm not sure GTY heard the content of conversation because he and shitou were behind the bushes and trees. 

Reveal hidden contents

QH actually said he can’t sleep at nights because he misses her (not he dreamed about her, I got confused as I saw it yesterday). Seriously, still bad!

We should be happy there are any QH scene's after like episode 35 considering in the book he was barely mentioned again right?

4 hours ago, m0us3y said:

Ahhh. So that's what he said???

That sentence I actually didn't quite understand. I only understood ML's response...:sweatingbullets:

Okay. That's bad....

Doesn't matter if GTY heard it. It's just bad....

In fact, it doesn't seem very much to be in his character. 

He may be a lil weak and all, but he seems like a gentleman that knows how to respect her and GTY enough to say those words. 

I disagree i think it is in his character hes only 17 and hes still in love with ML hes not just going to let her go no matter how selfish he seems.

3 hours ago, dito said:

Thankfully GTY knew what was best for her better than ML herself.

Lets be thankful to GTY's scheming then. One schemer gets caught by another master schemer.:joy:

In the book, there's chapter from GTY's POV of how he found out about her real self.....in that he starts calling her little schemer, little fraud after he sees her pretending to be afraid of bees.

Little ML actually was not afraid of bees....she was watching them with interest....but when the rest of the girls with her started screaming in fear....she started screaming too ....a beat later. So as to not appear different or strange. Thats the first time GTY noticed ML's pretense. After that he was always around in the crowd...keeping an eye on her....noticing things about her. 

I hope we get similar scene's on the show , maybe we get flashbacks of him seeing ML throughout his life pretending like that.

34 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

I really hope that does not happen if he goes to look for another woman i would be mad and i think that other woman is MN.

7 minutes ago, fra8 said:

Really? 

In the book he never had other women, even if one tried to push herself on him especially  during the fall out . ( if I got this right) But he was faithful.

Yeah i think that happens he does not actually go to another woman like sexually but a girl throws her self at him. 

That relationship trailer is a little misleading. I went back and compared it to the previous episodes and there was 2 scenes in the trailer where there was another woman. One scene where they were sitting at a table. This scene may be like what @bulubulu described. The other scene with the hug/forehead kiss is an old scene of him and Maniang the night before the imperial exam (no spooky cause he had to get ready for exam). 

4 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

Reveal hidden contents

QH actually said he can’t sleep at nights because he misses her (not he dreamed about her, I got confused as I saw it yesterday). Seriously, still bad!

Spoiler

Ugh...that’s what I was fearing the most. I was hoping they weren’t going to make him so lovelorn that he would forget himself and do something like that. It’s okay to still have feelings but once ML got married, those feelings should remain within himself. 

1 minute ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

Ugh...that’s what I was fearing the most. I was hoping they weren’t going to make him so lovelorn that he would forget himself and do something like that. It’s okay to still have feelings but once ML got married, those feelings should remain within himself. 

People are forgetting hes 17 .. people at that age make dumb mistakes but i still think it suits his character. 

9 minutes ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

Same. But gty and ml had internal issues that in a drama are hard to write. So milking the triangle is an easy way and they established a strong triangle. Gty knows about them, he was there almost every step. QH loved her and gave her up to save her and her family, but I assume he would never believe gty was the right guy (also because he doesn’t imo get ml completely); ml loved qh, gave him up and it’s likely she won’t tell gty that she loves him (when she realizes it)

anyway I hope they do this right because these situations are risky for the consistency of the characters 

6 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

After seeing Zhu Yi Long’s great performance and being promoted so much by drama as second male lead, I felt bad that he took this QH’s role as for (1) not as many scenes being second male lead should have (2) have been written like as a character a lot of people are calling weak, wet-blanket, no backbone, selfish, inconsiderate (though I do not agree and only think he has been sheltered too much and naive) (3) no character growth 

Reveal hidden contents

From preview/trailer that shows his meeting with ML after her marriage with GTY, I’m getting really upset that “QH told her he loves her more than GTY as he dreams of her every night and she is in his heart all the time. ML responded by saying we both are married and no need to talk about the past.” Their conversation was seen by GTY. If this scene is going to happen, this is really character assassination of QH. You loved someone dearly but continued declaring your love to her after she got married (I don’t know QH gets married to his second wife or not). Imo, at that point, most audience will hate or even feel disgust with this character. I understand writers want to put in scenes for him as QH became pretty much non-existence in the book after 55 chapters, this is very unfair. That’s why I said above no character growth. In the drama, QH became just love-sick dellutional guy. 

I don’t know why ZYL accepted this QH role. Even in 2014, he was not popular yet but his second lead role in “love three life,” he got pretty much equal screen times throughout the drama though his character is pretty flawed and suffered one-sided love. (May be he worked with ZLY in a movie before and she invited him for this drama?) 

@Golden Flower ZYL and ZLY actually did work together before in the movie Eternal Wave with Aaron Kwok and Zhang Han. But the director said he selected each of the main actors because he felt they fit the characters and as others have told me he actually didn’t get really popular until Guardian which ended not long ago. I didn’t know who he was until I saw that he was casted in Minglan as QH. That’s when I went back and found the drama Love Three Life and liked him in that one too. I actually like it when actors/actresses can take large secondary roles that show their range. But also, I think QH has been his last second lead role (filmed before the others but took a while to air) since his other roles after Guardian has been as the male lead. 

27 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

People are forgetting hes 17 .. people at that age make dumb mistakes but i still think it suits his character. 

Yes he’s 17, but 17 in that time period is not the same as 17 today. They are usually married with a family and lots of responsibilities before 20. They may not keep to historical accuracies in other areas but that is one thing they did keep to so for me, it doesn’t suit his character development and is a little cliche. It also goes against his prayer for her to find a good husband and live a good life when he does this after she’s already married. Now if he had done before ML got married then for me that would have been in keeping with his character. But either way, it’ll be a part of making GTY/ML grow as a couple so I’m just going to enjoy watching :D

50 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

23 minutes ago, fra8 said:

Really? 

21 minutes ago, bulubulu said:

I dont think he went to look for another woman. I think he went to drink and a woman try to touch his hand but he moved away, no hugging. That's what i saw in the trailer. Same i hope the fight doesn't last long too. I dont even want to think about it, already feel hurt just by thinking.

I think in the book....Hugging when drunk happened with ML.

In the book he had concubines in the Gu house too. But he never paid much attention to them. When he got married to ML he kind of promised her...he won't go to anyone else. He also told her to do what she wants with his previous concubines. Make them work or sell them off. When ML and GTY had a fight and started sleeping separately, these concubines and the other maids who wanted to climb the ranks started getting ideas. Maids from his step mom and his aunts, even maids from Da niang tried to take advantage of the quarrel between ML and GTY.  I don't know if I remember this correctly, but GTY got tired of all the women and forbade any female from coming into his study...

Trailers and previews are mostly misleading as they are not in sequence. So I'm not too worried about it. 

28 minutes ago, hello210 said:

Yes he’s 17, but 17 in that time period is not the same as 17 today. They are usually married with a family and lots of responsibilities before 20. They may not keep to historical accuracies in other areas but that is one thing they did keep to so for me, it doesn’t suit his character development and is a little cliche. It also goes against his prayer for her to find a good husband and live a good life when he does this after she’s already married. Now if he had done before ML got married then for me that would have been in keeping with his character. But either way, it’ll be a part of making GTY/ML grow as a couple so I’m just going to enjoy watching :D

I mean not every male was the same sure Most Male's did that but not all of them, he wants ML to have a good husband he most likely just does not think that is GTY.

26 minutes ago, dito said:

I think in the book....Hugging when drunk happened with ML.

In the book he had concubines in the Gu house too. But he never paid much attention to them. When he got married to ML he kind of promised her...he won't go to anyone else. He also told her to do what she wants with his previous concubines. Make them work or sell them off. When ML and GTY had a fight and started sleeping separately, these concubines and the other maids who wanted to climb the ranks started getting ideas. Maids from his step mom and his aunts, even maids from Da niang tried to take advantage of the quarrel between ML and GTY.  I don't know if I remember this correctly, but GTY got tired of all the women and forbade any female from coming into his study...

Trailers and previews are mostly misleading as they are not in sequence. So I'm not too worried about it. 

Well they cut the concubines i hope they cut all these maids as well. 

Also what happens with the Yuan family the older sister is there does she get any support or help because in recent episode her kid was taken away. 

9 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Trailers 37-38

Spoiler

Waaaaahhhh does that mean the wedding will be on ep 39/40???? I cant wait!!!! That GTY’s shocked acting when finding rulan :joy:

oh my.. oh my.. I guess I’ll make do with minglan..:no_mouth: scoundrel!!

the last bit.. why was ML smiling? Is she glad she got to marry GTY?

2 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Hide contents

Waaaaahhhh does that mean the wedding will be on ep 39/40???? I cant wait!!!! That GTY’s shocked acting when finding rulan :joy:

oh my.. oh my.. I guess I’ll make do with minglan..:no_mouth: scoundrel!!

the last bit.. why was ML smiling? Is she glad she got to marry GTY?

Spoiler

Next two episodes are full of events. I love every bit of the preview. Rulan was adorable too . But I can’t wait for them and the wedding.

so the spoiler about the wedding on Thursday was right.

14 minutes ago, fra8 said:
  Hide contents

Next two episodes are full of events. I love every bit of the preview. Rulan was adorable too . But I can’t wait for them and the wedding.

so the spoiler about the wedding on Thursday was right.

Just in time. Most of us are already complaining for the lack of lovey dovey scene

Spoiler

I see they wrapped up the dr He cousin arc fast. Good. Cant take anymore manniang like fakeness

gty’s changed expression when cb mentioned ml’s engagement to be :wub:

13 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Just in time. Most of us are already complaining for the lack of lovey dovey scene

Hide contents

I see they wrapped up the dr He cousin arc fast. Good. Cant take anymore manniang like fakeness

gty’s changed expression when cb mentioned ml’s engagement to be :wub:

Spoiler

Cb's expression when he caught rulan was epic.. Keep on saying aiya.. Ha ha. Pity him. Gty you are black belly. That was you best friend. How could you

•  
  •  
  • 006LXIElly1fz7o3njzpbj31120ku40c.jpg

Archived