[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

54 minutes ago, Wotad said:

https://www.viki.com/videos/1141388v-trailer-1

1:36 shows some spoiler's as to what might come

https://www.viki.com/videos/1141406v-trailer-2

Also at the end of this one.

Reveal hidden contents

he said he wont withdraw from the difficulty , he asks his parents to propose marriage as well. 

Someone also says the mountain wife knifes and sea of blood i shall go through them for you but that sounds like GTY, the ML says none of them dares take the stake only i dare to . Not sure who that is directed at. 

It looks like he would fight for her based on these but maybe she gives him up instead.

Spoiler

I think when ML said she is the only one who would dare, she’s referring to marrying GTY cause her sisters and most of the nobility/officials daughters are scared of GTY’s bad reputation (darn step mom’s and his family’s fault for using his name to falsely set him up to ruin his marriage chances).

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, hello210 said:

I think based on the previews, GH makes an attempt but doesn’t really carry through. There is a major difference between GH and GTY in that GTY has his mother’s/maternal grandfather’s inheritance so can essentially be independent whereas GH relies solely upon his family status. Being the only legitimate male heir and having a princess mother, the most he can hope for to have ML is to make her a concubine and he feels too much for her to do that to her.

GTY’s status is both a blessing and curse because he stands in the way for his maternal “uncles” for the Salt fortune and stands in the way of the 3rd brother for the Marquis inheritance since his older brother is sickly with no male children. I can see how he will have the ability to make a name for himself and be a husband that’s faithful to his wife. All his experiences has shaped his character to be a protector as shown how he provides for his children despite society and family pressures. GH will always be too protected and restrained to gain the same experiences and fortitude. 

I too pity Da Niang since she is the way she is because of her husband, being the main wife with none of the authorities because of her husbands fears from his past. Sheng Hong was lucky Grandma Sheng adopted him after her son died. Grandma Sheng was in Da Niang’s shoes before, but unlike Da Niang who basically ignored ML and her mother, she protected Sheng Hong and his concubine mother as much as possible from the favored concubine in her generation. At least that’s what I interpreted from the scenes after ML’s mom died.  Now, she’s putting all her experiences and knowledge into raising ML to keep her from being a target as much as possible. Love ML’s smarts...it’s how she survives but will also be her asset that will make her thrive as the wife of a powerful noble. 

Im not sure because based on previews i have seen he asks for marriage

also at the end of this makes me think he would fight for her.

54 minutes ago, Wotad said:

Im not sure because based on previews i have seen he asks for marriage

also at the end of this makes me think he would fight for her.

That’s why I think that he’ll make an attempt to convince his mother but it won’t go through because he really doesn’t have anything without his family. There’s another preview where it looks like he pulled out a knife which reminds me of the comment about his character being a “wet blanket” in the novel and idealistic. It makes me wonder if he’ll threaten to harm himself if he doesn’t get to marry ML which would tell me that he wouldn’t be strong enough to protect ML against household politics. Household politics was no joke during those times since the concubine basically killed ML’s mom. GH being from a noble family, his princess mother will not allow a concubine born to be the main wife, especially because ML is only the daughter of an official, not a noble family so the connection will not really benefit their family.

I’m going to feel bad for GH when all this goes down because ZYL is good at expressing the pitifullness in the previews but I wouldn’t feel too bad since it would mean that ML would dodge an even scarier in-law. She literally sold someone off for dressing up to “tempt” her son.

I really want to see the BTS of the scenes in the previews where GTY picks up ML and swings her around. LY is so skinny but in some of her dramas they still had her loose weight and don’t know if it’s because of her co-stars having to pick her up. Some of these guys may look big in costumes but look small in regular clothes. At the press-con ZYL’s suit looked too big on him making him seem really skinny...unless he really is skinny??

Some of these actors have really good height but not a lot of muscles. Do they only bulk up if they have shirtless scenes but stop after?

51 minutes ago, hello210 said:

That’s why I think that he’ll make an attempt to convince his mother but it won’t go through because he really doesn’t have anything without his family. There’s another preview where it looks like he pulled out a knife which reminds me of the comment about his character being a “wet blanket” in the novel and idealistic. It makes me wonder if he’ll threaten to harm himself if he doesn’t get to marry ML which would tell me that he wouldn’t be strong enough to protect ML against household politics. Household politics was no joke during those times since the concubine basically killed ML’s mom. GH being from a noble family, his princess mother will not allow a concubine born to be the main wife, especially because ML is only the daughter of an official, not a noble family so the connection will not really benefit their family.

I’m going to feel bad for GH when all this goes down because ZYL is good at expressing the pitifullness in the previews but I wouldn’t feel too bad since it would mean that ML would dodge an even scarier in-law. She literally sold someone off for dressing up to “tempt” her son.

Im not sure i think GH will fight hard for ML but ML will be the one to back off , from those two previews i posted especially end of the second one it does not sound like a wet blanket. 

43 minutes ago, hello210 said:

At the press-con ZYL’s suit looked too big on him making him seem really skinny...unless he really is skinny??

Recently ZYL is a bit skinny because I think he is a bit tired from his recent project (digging up tomb lol) but in his earlier BTS for another drama he can lift up to 80kg of weight. That's pretty strong. I believe he does regularly exercise and are good at kickboxing (his father is an instructor). Plus I have seen him effortlessly lifting up his co-stars many time in older drama. :) 

Btw, I have been really enjoying the BTS released so far, I hope to see more. Their filming environment and the crew seem very happy together.

Just watched ep 10 on Viki and love the Grandma and Aunt moments. Can’t wait for more of it. I also wish the Momo could stay forever. 

Spoiler

Love what Grandma said. “If a person’s life goes too smooth, they will go blind and deaf. Ming Lan you must be awake always.”  It’s something both GTY and ML learns through their adversities.

2 hours ago, hello210 said:

Just watched ep 10 on Viki and love the Grandma and Aunt moments. Can’t wait for more of it. I also wish the Momo could stay forever. 

Hide contents

Love what Grandma said. “If a person’s life goes too smooth, they will go blind and deaf. Ming Lan you must be awake always.”  It’s something both GTY and ML learns through their adversities.

I also loved the talks between Grandma/Aunt it made me quite emotional, what show this will turn out to be.

Spoiler

I thought the dad hated ML but in episode 10 he was softer does he turn more hateful later or nicer.

God i detest the father being stupid towards Lin Qinshuang and Sheng Molan i want these two to suffer. 

First in online rating's https://cdramabase.com/online-ratings/

This does not include QIY where they dont report online views now right? 

This video is the actors singing right? they sound good saw some juicy scene's, espically around 1:57/8/9 spoilers obviously.

After this video i ship GTY and ML 100% now you can feel the chemistry and love. 

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

I also loved the talks between Grandma/Aunt it made me quite emotional, what show this will turn out to be.

Reveal hidden contents

I thought the dad hated ML but in episode 10 he was softer does he turn more hateful later or nicer.

God i detest the father being stupid towards Lin Qinshuang and Sheng Molan i want these two to suffer. 

First in online rating's https://cdramabase.com/online-ratings/

This does not include QIY where they dont report online views now right? 

This video is the actors singing right? they sound good saw some juicy scene's, espically around 1:57/8/9 spoilers obviously.

After this video i ship GTY and ML 100% now you can feel the chemistry and love. 

Wow...Daylight is doing so well...isn’t Like a Flowing River also their production? And they are both on top for ratings. I can see why because the cinematography in both dramas are so natural with the time periods and detailed. I’ve been trying to find MingLan and Jin Han OGT songs on iTunes with no luck. I love the MV and the song, especially that version with LY/FSF. FSF sang it for the Hunan New Year’s Eve concert (too bad LY didn’t make it but she posted about it on her Weibo)...just haven’t been able to find the full video. Both FSF and ZYL performed and from the little parts I found on YouTube, they did good.

3 hours ago, Wotad said:

Im not sure i think GH will fight hard for ML but ML will be the one to back off , from those two previews i posted especially end of the second one it does not sound like a wet blanket. 

Based on the trailers it sure does seem like it. I recall one of the trailer ML met up with GH after she's married to GTY, and it seems like that made GTY angry for a bit. 

I don't understand the whole convo with my half baked mandarin, but it seems like ML is a true realist, and she told GTY that if one day, he wants to take another wife/ concubine, she will accept that...and GTY asked if given a choice to choose again, will she still choose to marry him.

So it seems like GH still loves ML after her rejection and marriage to GTY! :tears:

14 minutes ago, hello210 said:

Wow...Daylight is doing so well...isn’t Like a Flowing River also their production? And they are both on top for ratings. I can see why because the cinematography in both dramas are so natural with the time periods and detailed. I’ve been trying to find MingLan and Jin Han OGT songs on iTunes with no luck. I love the MV and the song, especially that version with LY/FSF. FSF sang it for the Hunan New Year’s Eve concert (too bad LY didn’t make it but she posted about it on her Weibo)...just haven’t been able to find the full video. Both FSF and ZYL performed and from the little parts I found on YouTube, they did good.

The OST for Ming lane is now on Spotify. But the ending song is by the original singers - Hu Xia and Yisa Yu. I'm also hoping they would have a version with ZLY and FSF! 

18 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

The OST for Ming lane is now on Spotify. But the ending song is by the original singers - Hu Xia and Yisa Yu. I'm also hoping they would have a version with ZLY and FSF! 

Pretty sure the video i posted is the ending song by ZLY and FSF right? 

36 minutes ago, hello210 said:

You are correct both Daylight.

25 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Based on the trailers it sure does seem like it. I recall one of the trailer ML met up with GH after she's married to GTY, and it seems like that made GTY angry for a bit. 

I don't understand the whole convo with my half baked mandarin, but it seems like ML is a true realist, and she told GTY that if one day, he wants to take another wife/ concubine, she will accept that...and GTY asked if given a choice to choose again, will she still choose to marry him.

So it seems like GH still loves ML after her rejection and marriage to GTY! :tears:

Yeah from what i see ML back's off but maybe were being tricked. 

From the Novel spoilers, the drama has ML showing a little more of her feelings for GH but like everyone says, she’s very sensible and realistic. I don’t think that it’s ML giving up but more that she never tried. She doesn’t even entertain the thought of becoming something more than a distant admirer of GH. She says this and kind of explains it to her maid in the episode where GH gives her the pens I think.  From previous comments and the novel ML is GH’s regret in life since he didn’t get to be with her so I can see him still having lingering feelings.

Also, I think there was a comment that they added scenes to that drama that wasn’t in the novel that was shown in the previews like the scene where GH tells GTY that he doesn’t think GTY is right for ML so I can see how they would have those jealous scenes to add otherwise ML is very proper and aware due to lessons from Grandma so meeting up with a man after marriage wouldn’t be in her character. I didn’t finish the novel since I gave up google translating it so don’t know if those are added and not part of the novel. But it does make it interesting.

From everything I’ve seen and my broken mandarin, I think GTY pities his mistress and cares about his children with her but Ming Lan is his one true love. I hope they keep to the novel and GH doesn’t interfere in the marriage because he thinks he knows better. 

Just waiting for Episode 11, 12, and 13 on Viki. Don’t know if they’re holding off release till subs are complete.

12 minutes ago, hello210 said:

From the Novel spoilers, the drama has ML showing a little more of her feelings for GH but like everyone says, she’s very sensible and realistic. I don’t think that it’s ML giving up but more that she never tried. She doesn’t even entertain the thought of becoming something more than a distant admirer of GH. She says this and kind of explains it to her maid in the episode where GH gives her the pens I think.  From previous comments and the novel ML is GH’s regret in life since he didn’t get to be with her so I can see him still having lingering feelings.

Also, I think there was a comment that they added scenes to that drama that wasn’t in the novel that was shown in the previews like the scene where GH tells GTY that he doesn’t think GTY is right for ML so I can see how they would have those jealous scenes to add otherwise ML is very proper and aware due to lessons from Grandma so meeting up with a man after marriage wouldn’t be in her character. I didn’t finish the novel since I gave up google translating it so don’t know if those are added and not part of the novel. But it does make it interesting.

From everything I’ve seen and my broken mandarin, I think GTY pities his mistress and cares about his children with her but Ming Lan is his one true love. I hope they keep to the novel and GH doesn’t interfere in the marriage because he thinks he knows better. 

Just waiting for Episode 11, 12, and 13 on Viki. Don’t know if they’re holding off release till subs are complete.

Nah they never hold off so its weird??

I need more episode's already im addicted give me more......

GH’s character kind of reminds me of Deng Yu in Singing All Along where he never forgets his first love. Except, Deng Yu made the decision to fight alongside the main leads and went from being a scholar to becoming a great General. 

18 minutes ago, hello210 said:

GH’s character kind of reminds me of Deng Yu in Singing All Along where he never forgets his first love. Except, Deng Yu made the decision to fight alongside the main leads and went from being a scholar to becoming a great General. 

GH reminds me of Fuheng from Yanxi ;p 

4 hours ago, Wotad said:

Nah they never hold off so its weird??

I need more episode's already im addicted give me more......

Hello @Wotad

I have finally gotten 

Spoiler

Evee Night our of my system. Yay Yah 

So glad to find you here in this drama. It is now my new obsession and I too wish they aired episode 12 . I even watched the episode raw which means IMHO , this drama is really good and the cast are doing a great job. At first It was ok , but Now I just can’t stop going to 

Spoiler

Maplestage to check if any episode has been aired yet.  :wub::wub:

OMg!!! I feel exaylike you do. I even have the Calendar schedule to this drama on my mobile phone. I don’t know if it has been posted yet. 

Happy New Year everyone 2019

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c2ae72539576b6855

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c2ae72539576b6855

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

Pretty sure the video i posted is the ending song by ZLY and FSF right? 

You are correct both Daylight.

Yeah from what i see ML back's off but maybe were being tricked. 

Yeaps. The one you posted earlier was indeed by ZLY and FSF. Hence looking for the actual track on Spotify. Unfortunately there isn't one ATM. 

You are probably right that ML would not lead QH especially knowing her character. 

Just think she might not go and explain herself to GTY about the misunderstanding too, also because of her character. 

Am really liking the production thus far. The details are just nice. Like they would rather use loads of candles to film the night scenes than using fake lighting. It makes it look a lot more realistic.

8 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Yeaps. The one you posted earlier was indeed by ZLY and FSF. Hence looking for the actual track on Spotify. Unfortunately there isn't one ATM. 

You are probably right that ML would not lead QH especially knowing her character. 

Just think she might not go and explain herself to GTY about the misunderstanding too, also because of her character. 

Am really liking the production thus far. The details are just nice. Like they would rather use loads of candles to film the night scenes than using fake lighting. It makes it look a lot more realistic.

Just found the Hua Xia/Yinan Yu version of the ending song on iTunes. Looks like it’s finally available. So I guess the LY/FSF version is only for the MV? 

Archived