[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, fancia said:

Ohh that's good then, because I saw that main wife cried out and the one who help her delivery said that she is bleeding too much and the husband fall down to the floor...so I thought she will be gone. Though, that spoilt concubine will be punished surely.

Death i accept nothing else. 

7 minutes ago, Lunkera said:

@mingminglanlan Madam Kang did it by manipulating madam Sheng if i remember correctly from spoilers. I think Madam Sheng wanted granny sick for some reason not realizing it was a dangerous poison. Someone correct me if im wrong

Kang deserve's to die as well.. im not a big lover of death but these people really deserve it..

Haha guys if you're looking for a somewhat accurate translation of the preview the one where Kang Yi Mo is being her richard simmons big nosed self just look into the comments on this in youtube, posted it but for some reason can't copy and paste without having to edit a bunch. My translation isn't like 100% on point but it's enough to get solid grasp on what is happening. 

2 hours ago, Lunkera said:

@sava2sava Granny hasn't been harmed yet. But who is that girl who begs ML and ML get pissed. is it madam kang's shu daughter? can't wait to get it subbed.

@Lunkera Granny and ML probably learn the whole story of Evil Step Mom and Aunts plan.. This is why Granny is reading her sista her rights.. I knew she was going to be pissed learning Aunt holding the girls mom hostage to make her GTY concubine..  What I don't get is them bringing those women there still won't make him sleep with them.. They should have learned that from the first one.. Just because ML not supposed to do anything now he may want to hold out with is wife.. Thats what a faithful husband will do.. If he needs it so bad he can get it from a brothel with no strings attach.. What is wrong with these people..

2 hours ago, Suzzy San said:

I'm so excited for this.. Omo it's about to get down to the game.. ML with that sword is a sight I wish to see every day 

@Suzzy San  GTy sure will be proud of his wife laying down the law Don't mess with me or the people I like.. Step Mom and Aunt better watch out..

2 hours ago, mingerling said:

wait so does she die while giving birth? i really hope not, my heart!

@mingerling  I think she did this is why ML went after her with that sword..  

2 hours ago, leeza77 said:

From the comment on weibo, zhang lady survived the child birth 

@leeza77  Did the child survive ?

2 hours ago, mingminglanlan said:

Will see, will see because I'm hoping ML will comethru and save so that her wielding her massive sword and cutting a man will not be wasted. Someone on this thread told me a weibo netizen commented that she doesn't die. Here's to hoping. 

@mingminglanlan  So was the concubine holding the Dr hostage to keep him from saving them both.. Wait did all of this take place in the palace? Ml weilding a sword in the palace wow you go girl.. She don't give a darn..

2 hours ago, fancia said:

Ohh that's good then, because I saw that main wife cried out and the one who help her delivery said that she is bleeding too much and the husband fall down to the floor crying...so I thought she will be gone. Though, that spoilt concubine will be punished surely.

@fancia  Yes kill the spolied brat for killing a prince child is punishable by death.. Not. I think death is to good for her spoiled but she needs to be lock up in the cold palace if they had one then.. Some where she can't mix with society again..

2 hours ago, heatherbee said:

Im so serious listening as if I know every word their saying:smiley: lol..I only understand the greetings:grin:...

@heatherbee  Whey. :w00t:

2 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Death i accept nothing else. 

Kang deserve's to die as well.. im not a big lover of death but these people really deserve it..

@ForgottenSoulx  Yes she needs her karma to be a slow death in the worst way for what she did to all the other Shu daughters..

1 hour ago, heatherbee said:

Yahh lahh; that's why US,(Zly/fsf shipper) whose always waiting, need to take a PATIENCE PILL1000MG everyday:D

@heatherbee  I have up my dosage since I've been watching this drama

Oh nooooooo, so many problems.  The emperor's favourite concubine is also one of the ED's puppet breathing bad words about GTY and talking him into looking at QH positively.  Seems like all of the emperor's close trusted people are being targetted and framed.  ED has her net spread out wide indeed.  I hope she and all those puppets will get their comeuppance soon. :rage::rage::rage: 

Then not to mention that wicked evil stepmom and Auntie Kang.  Getting Chao mama (GTY old nanny) to come look after ML was a great move.  She managed to insult and cursed Auntie Kang and indirectly stepmom LOL :joy:  I kept playing th epart when she fall flat on her face.......EPIC!

I hope Madame Zhang survive the birth.  General Shen's ex in-laws are so evil.  Why would they want to keep the doctor from assisting the birth?  Would General Shen still respect them if they caused the death of his wife in childbirth?  It would cause political unrest with Duke Ying.  These people have no brain at all.  :rage:  And it was nice to see ML holding a sword.  She was like a tiger mum protecting her cub.  

1 minute ago, frenchfan said:

Oh nooooooo, so many problems.  The emperor's favourite concubine is also one of the ED's puppet breathing bad words about GTY and talking him into looking at QH positively.  Seems like all of the emperor's close trusted people are being targetted and framed.  ED has her net spread out wide indeed.  I hope she and all those puppets will get their comeuppance soon. :rage::rage::rage: 

Then not to mention that wicked evil stepmom and Auntie Kang.  Getting Chao mama (GTY old nanny) to come look after ML was a great move.  She managed to insult and cursed Auntie Kang and indirectly stepmom LOL :joy:  I kept playing th epart when she fall flat on her face.......EPIC!

I hope Madame Zhang survive the birth.  General Shen's ex in-laws are so evil.  Why would they want to keep the doctor from assisting the birth?  Would General Shen still respect them if they caused the death of his wife in childbirth?  It would cause political unrest with Duke Ying.  These people have no brain at all.  :rage:  And it was nice to see ML holding a sword.  She was like a tiger mum protecting her cub.  

People have to act in a hopeless and clueless manner for the power couple to play power brokers and restore  balance.

Some historical facts (for anyone interested):

TSoML takes place in the Song dynasty, during the transition period from Emperor Renzhong to Emperor Yingzhong. It's a real historical period so there are a few historical events embedded in the story. One such is the court debate in episode 56-57 which was based on a real event.

From wiki: 

Emperor Yingzong was the 13th son of Zhao Yunrang (趙允讓; 969–1059), who was a first cousin of Emperor Renzong and was posthumously known as "Prince Anyi of Pu" (濮安懿王). Emperor Yingzong's grandfather, Zhao Yuanfen (趙元份; 966–1005), was a younger brother of Emperor Renzong's father, Emperor Zhenzong, and was posthumously known as "Prince Gongjing of Shang" (商恭靖王). Emperor Yingzong's mother, whose maiden family name was Ren (任), was the concubine of Zhao Yunrang. 

In 1055, Emperor Yingzong's predecessor, Emperor Renzong, became critically ill and started to worry about having no successor because his sons all died prematurely. Acting on the advice of his ministers, Emperor Renzong agreed to bring two of his younger male relatives into his palace. One of them was the future Emperor Yingzong, who was eventually chosen and designated as the Crown Prince. Yingzong had his name changed to "Zhao Shu" in 1062 when he was officially designated as the Crown Prince. This name became his official name when he ascended the throne in the following year after his adoptive father Emperor Renzong died in 1063.

Emperor Yingzong's empress consort was Empress Gao, a niece of Empress Dowager Cao who was the widow of Emperor Renzong. As Emperor Yingzong was severely sickly shortly after his coronation, Empress Dowager Cao served as his regent. However, Empress Dowager Cao held onto power even when Yingzong recovered until the Prime Minister Han Qi removed the screen from the audience hall making it impossible for Empress Dowager Cao to attend. She was forced to give power back to Yingzong.

Emperor Yingzong's reign is known for controversy over the correct rituals to be performed by the emperor for his father. Emperor Yingzong had been adopted by Emperor Renzong, so Emperor Renzong was nominally Emperor Yingzong's father. However, biologically, Zhao Yunrang was Emperor Yingzong's father. Some officials suggested that Emperor Yingzong honour his biological father with the title "Imperial Uncle", but the emperor agreed with Ouyang Xiu and others and decided to honour his biological father as his parent. This was not only an early sign of more conflict during Emperor Xiaozong's reign but also the Great Rites Controversy of the Ming dynasty.

In this case, Emperor Yingzhong had a valid goal: to take back power from the ED. However, he used an underhanded method. Emperor Yingzhong could only inherit the throne bc he was named Emperor Renzhong's son. His birth father could not have the same status as Emperor Renzhong. His move was an act of ingratitude and against the law. As an Emperor, we was supposed to be the model image of his people, thus this is something he shouldn't have done. He knew the reason was not on his side and he couldn't win the debate so he just simply exiled all Yu shis who opposed him. Back then, Yu shis were considered a moral compass of the Emperor, and the act of exiling Yu shis was considered dishonorable of the Emperor. This event tainted his reputation and remained a scandal til this day. 

In ancient times what an Emperor fear most is leaving a black mark in history. Thus, however malicious an Emperor is behind curtains, they always had to think of a way to justify their action to have a good name. Emperor Yingzhong should have thought of a cleverer way to achieve his goal, instead of openly breaking the law and straighforwardly exiling whoever opposed him. This event also acts as a premise for a similar situation happen in the Ming dynasty, resulted in many people dead, imprisoned or banished.

His action was very much criticized by scholars in feudal times. However from a modern POV, this was not such a big deal.

4 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I mean he cant be blamed for not taking GTY's extreme plan but he can be blamed for not fighting until the ending for what he believe's in and want's. 

When ever i see QH now im just wishing he disappears already watching some stupid clown is annoying, know's nothing about politics yet always at the front speaking to the emperor its quite embarrassing. 

There will always be new good drama's from china so dont worry haha.

Not everyone is playing the game of thrones. In feudal times, it is very important to a man of honor to protect the law and not waiver in front of power. However evil the ED is, the Emperor is openly breaking the law, so he is bound to be criticized, or else why all the Yu shis are opposing him? So you are saying standing by the law and opposing wrongdoings is an act of a clown? Of course those who are good at political games usually win, but there are those who's standing there not bc of the politics. The ED is an evil power-clinging richard simmons, but the emperor decided to fight back with an equal underhanded method, then exiling everyone for opposing him.

You think he is a clown bc you don't seem to understand the value and honor of a gentleman in ancient period.

3 hours ago, Lunkera said:

@mingminglanlan Madam Kang did it by manipulating madam Sheng if i remember correctly from spoilers. I think Madam Sheng wanted granny sick for some reason not realizing it was a dangerous poison. Someone correct me if im wrong

From the trailers I think Madame Sheng was pissed off with granny for scolding her from seeing her sister and warning her that if she finds out that she has admitted her sister into the household again, she will punish her.  Granny's reason was valid as she could see that Mrs Kang will only harm Sheng family.  But of course Hualan's mum was so stupid and easily manipulated.  Grandma made her kneel down and to her, this is humiliating because she is the main wife and in charge of the household.  I guess this made her wanted to get back  at grandma not knowing that her sister is truly evil.   

I like Xian'Er a lot.  Such a clever little girl despite growing up in the same house as her step-grandmum.  Her mum however is not very bright.  Nice but not overly bright.  Luckily, Xian'Er listened to her dad's last word not to interfere and to live their own life.   

@frenchfan Xian'er and Rong'er seems to get along fine as cousins. From seeing their discussions with ML, ML likes them both very much. Luckily our heroine is better in this aspect than in the novel. From what i've heard she seemed more awkward around Rong'er. I can't really see any of it in the drama :D 

6 hours ago, leeza77 said:

jolie vie  jolie vie10 hours ago

SPOILER… 55.4.2
    (SCB moves to say something..)
    GTY: the masters have already discussed
    (SCB shook his head at his father SH who indicates he understood and will keep quiet)
    Emperor: Count Gu, you are very experienced in military and well read in books, what is your view on this matter?
    GTY: your majesty, i lost my mother when i was very young, have no one to depend on, naturally feels that nothing can compare with own mother
    (murmurs against him, someone said GTY is reasonable based on his personal experience)
    QH: i have something to say
    Dowager: please speak
    QH: late emperor guarded the kingdom, selected his majesty from amongst the imperial clan, to safeguard the sovereignty. His majesty, as son of late emperor, takes over the world, accept adopted family as parents, bio family becomes relatives. This is the way it is done among common folks, how can this be called rebellious
    Han: if his majesty address late emperor as imperial, by what then should he address prince Shu?
    QH: late emperor is his majesty’s adoptive father, hence should address as 皇考 “my late father”, prince Shu is late emperor’s elder first cousin, his majesty can address him as 皇伯 “ emperor uncle” [HOLY MOLY!!! who would call your own bio father ‘uncle’ ??? ML is so fortunate that she didn’t marry this vacuum-head!!! at least air-head has air, this idiot has nothing in his empty skull ]
    GTY: prince Shu is his majesty’s bio father, young lord Qi suggests his majesty address his own father as “uncle”, is there such a precedent?
    QH: the supreme one leads, his majesty has taken over the imperial clan and rules the world, he cannot overshadow late emperor, how can he forsake the significant one and care for the small. (turning to GTY) Count Gu, this is making his majesty dishonourable
    GTY: biological parents are gracious, adoptive parents are honourable. if his majesty is bias, then his majesty is dishonourable, right?
    Dowager: shut up! guards, drag this “scoundrel” out and beat 20 times [i used “scoundrel” bc i was shocked & disappointed with screenwriter who wrote this totally unrefine line to be uttered by dowager 無君無父的混帳 literally calling him a b- -t- -d …i’m pretty sure Chinese netizens are pulling the roof down

Like what's even wrong with QH now.. Even though it might be some kind of right, how can he like support it righteously as if it's the best thing ever to do... How can a son call his father, 'uncle' when the emperor only granted the king his throne and as such it makes sense that the throne has been transferred to another family, so I really don't think it's important to make the former king his father, like this is just the dowager's method of keeping her dowagerhip, since the throne is still within the surname and if the king's son becomes the next king, the dowager can still be the imperial high dowager.. Like QH please see through their cahoots, you are more intelligent than this.. So just because GTY opposed it, which I think might be the start of their plan, like I so support the opposition, because truly 'adoptive parents are honorable but biological parents are also gracious, even if it's the emperor, he shouldn't go as far as lightening his father's importance'.. And because he said this, he was beaten 20 times.. Omg and officials are meant to be next to king, and they still get beaten, wow.. 

Archived