[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

7 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Actually in ML's 3yo mind with love, and a genius mind with everything else, she is being very considerate of GTY. 

That's why she told him that she knows GTY dotes on her, and hence, she's not jealous of the concubine. That's the most correct answer for a wife to give her husband.

Except GTY wanted her to be jealous but she's totally not getting it. 

Hence he got angry with her for 2 whole months and she still hasn't figured out what to do! 

So she just said let him be. Even if she misses her lively GTY, she didn't say anything because she's doesn't know what is wrong at the first place! :lol:

I just find the whole situation hilarious. 

He's fuming, she's clueless. :lol:

Oh yeah she definitely knows TY loves her dearly.  

It's more in the part where he doesn't want to be w/ concubines & ML hasn't quite figure it out yet that he's not like men who's wants to/easily consummate w/them. She's the only one in his eyes.  It's funny because he's avoiding concubines at every chance they come crawling into their house like bugs.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While every one is seriously analyzing the drama, can I analyze from the Minlan point of view ( for fun)

QH - He is my only classmate, although we both are married, why can’t I still communicate as friend. I have no friends, only step sisters or cousin. For my husband he has childhood friend like my step brother and work relative friends like all the Generals, they can talk, drink together etc., why can’t I or QH visit my house and talk or why can’t we play polo sometimes. I do not want to associate with all snobbish IQ low women. He stills love me, so what. It is a good thing. So long as we do not cross the line. 

GTY - Yes I marry to him because he is smart. If he is not smart, I will never think of him. Since young, I noticed, that he help me and save me. Although he said, I can be myself, why he is so mean to call him like his mistress. I will not. His GU family is a big big trouble for me. I have mentally no rest since I married to him. Physicality I am not so strong, after my mother passed away, I had a high fever and since then, I am not too healthy. I came back from my father’s house and I am too depressed . And guess what? His aunty wants to give him concubine. I think I should give up.

Dr. He - he is nice person, although I do not love him, I think my life will be peaceful as my grandmother predicts. 

My Aunty from my mother side - Although GTY is rich, I cannot help my aunty or visit her. Poor me.

Noble woman - Although the Emperor awarded this title, those snobbish people talk bad thing about me and in front of me that General’swife insulted me. Can you believe that, in my own house. 

(Those will be her thinking )

34 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Actually in ML's 3yo mind with love, and a genius mind with everything else, she is being very considerate of GTY. 

That's why she told him that she knows GTY dotes on her, and hence, she's not jealous of the concubine. That's the most correct answer for a wife to give her husband.

Except GTY wanted her to be jealous but she's totally not getting it. 

Hence he got angry with her for 2 whole months and she still hasn't figured out what to do! 

So she just said let him be. Even if she misses her lively GTY, she didn't say anything because she's doesn't know what is wrong at the first place! :lol:

I just find the whole situation hilarious. 

He's fuming, she's clueless. :lol:

In their earlier part of the marriage, ML seems to project sentiments towards TY because of her father's lifestyle/ parenting. 

There was a conversation between ML&TY when she said if she was a child that she'd been happy if TY was her father & TY was somewhat off guard by that comment. And because her father had concubines & w/ TY past affairs w/women, she supposed he'd be fine having concubines. Although it's quite obvious he doesnt care for concubines at all. So it's funny seeing how this whole ordeal/misunderstanding has played out.

15 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

@minglan1  It is funny watching those poor girls waiting for him to take the bait and he don't give them the time of day or night.. Sad but so true.. GTY is to busy trying to get his wife to confess her love for him.. No anount of concubine bringing is going to change that.. I just hope he gets a confession out of her before the drama ends..

Whats going on with viki uploading the last two episodes..By now one of the episodes will be fully subbed..   

Hahahaha. Reckon those girls thought GTY would be easy since he did have kids with a lowly born woman before he got married. 

Lil did they know he's totally devoted to ML and wouldn't even look at them!

Like U said, too busy trying to get the wife to confess her love to him! :lol:

The night with the woman was funny cuz after so many hours, he didn't actually realise the maid was still there until she approached him. Shows that he didn't even look her way once! :lol:

Re Viki, there was no episodes aired yesterday. And they are always a day behind so I believe ep55-56 will only come out tonight...

Hello! I have been following this tread for some days and this is my first comment. I am a huge fan of the novel, this novel is one of my favorite web novels and one of the reasons I became addicted to the ancient Chinese family drama novels. Due to my initial dissatisfaction with several of the changes in the plot and characters, I have  changed my standpoint:  I stopped expecting an adaptation of the novel and now I am trying to appreciate this drama as its own story. Must say that this decision have enhanced a lot my enjoyment.

One of my biggest disappointments is what has been done with QH character; in the book he was one character that remained pure, gentle and honest despite all his bitter experiences in his love and marriage life, and that make me appreciate him more. This dark and petty twist his actions have taken may make him more interesting for some viewers; but from my standpoint seems like a cheap drama tool to prove QH unworthiness of ML love, thus making the audience side GTY and ending with the lingering attachments to QH.

There is also one thing that doesn't make sense to me and it is QH actions in the political arena, I sincerely don't get why he choose to play ED henchman. It was precisely the ED one of the accomplices of Prince Yong in imprisoning QH into his loveless first marriage: When QH's father is kidnapped by Prince Yong and his mother goes to the palace to ask for help, the ED is the person that refused to help them to see the emperor.  Because at that point  ED had already sided with Prince Yong, if she still remained neutral and impartial she would have helped them, because the actions of Prince Yong could jeopardize his chances to become the crown prince if they were exposed to an emperor famous for his benevolent values, and his crimes would make him lose a lot of support from the general public and officers.

So the ED was one of the Prince Yong supporters and her remaining political power comes from the remaining members of Prince Yong party, since ED refuses to let go of the power and the emperor isn't backing down, the only way for ED to retain her power is supporting other heir to usurp the throne and the one she has available has to be one of Prince Yong remaining descendants.   

I remember that in the conversation with ML in the bridge QH says that he hates Prince Yong, so why the hell is he helping his cronies?  I have read in some other post that QH is helping ED because her mother, princess Pingning, grew up under her assistance; but it was ED the one who chose to ignore his family when they need her support the most. The political situation is the best for QH family to distance  itself from ED, her power should dwindle day by day because, no matter who is the final winner, in the long run she is a woman and has no right to the political power she is trying to hold. The Qi family trust has already been betrayed by ED and they have no obligation to continue advocating for her. They can remain neutral and see who is the final winner or back up the new emperor and gain his recognition.

From the point of view of an officer who cares the good of the common people, the situation in court should be stabilized as soon as possible, more fight for the throne and the power is more chaos, the new emperor seems to actually care for his subjects and is trying improve their living conditions, that is material for a good emperor.  

So, when it comes down to it the only motive QH has to support ED is to be GTY political opponent and screw GTY every chance he gets, isn't QH supposed to be intelligent? Could his motivation be more selfish and swallow?  My only hope is that QH is pretending to support ED and secretly reuniting information to bring down the corrupt officers helping on her side, but that seems very out of character.

So, that's the end of my rambling, what are your POV? for me this is plot weakness, that I'm trying hard to ignore.

29 minutes ago, curiouser9 said:

Hello! I have been following this tread for some days and this is my first comment. I am a huge fan of the novel, this novel is one of my favorite web novels and one of the reasons I became addicted to the ancient Chinese family drama novels. Due to my initial dissatisfaction with several of the changes in the plot and characters, I have  changed my standpoint:  I stopped expecting an adaptation of the novel and now I am trying to appreciate this drama as its own story. Must say that this decision have enhanced a lot my enjoyment.

One of my biggest disappointments is what has been done with QH character; in the book he was one character that remained pure, gentle and honest despite all his bitter experiences in his love and marriage life, and that make me appreciate him more. This dark and petty twist his actions have taken may make him more interesting for some viewers; but from my standpoint seems like a cheap drama tool to prove QH unworthiness of ML love, thus making the audience side GTY and ending with the lingering attachments to QH.

There is also one thing that doesn't make sense to me and it is QH actions in the political arena, I sincerely don't get why he choose to play ED henchman. It was precisely the ED one of the accomplices of Prince Yong in imprisoning QH into his loveless first marriage: When QH's father is kidnapped by Prince Yong and his mother goes to the palace to ask for help, the ED is the person that refused to help them to see the emperor.  Because at that point  ED had already sided with Prince Yong, if she still remained neutral and impartial she would have helped them, because the actions of Prince Yong could jeopardize his chances to become the crown prince if they were exposed to an emperor famous for his benevolent values, and his crimes would make him lose a lot of support from the general public and officers.

So the ED was one of the Prince Yong supporters and her remaining political power comes from the remaining members of Prince Yong party, since ED refuses to let go of the power and the emperor isn't backing down, the only way for ED to retain her power is supporting other heir to usurp the throne and the one she has available has to be one of Prince Yong remaining descendants.   

I remember that in the conversation with ML in the bridge QH says that he hates Prince Yong, so why the hell is he helping his cronies?  I have read in some other post that QH is helping ED because her mother, princess Pingning, grew up under her assistance; but it was ED the one who chose to ignore his family when they need her support the most. The political situation is the best for QH family to distance  itself from ED, her power should dwindle day by day because, no matter who is the final winner, in the long run she is a woman and has no right to the political power she is trying to hold. The Qi family trust has already been betrayed by ED and they have no obligation to continue advocating for her. They can remain neutral and see who is the final winner or back up the new emperor and gain his recognition.

From the point of view of an officer who cares the good of the common people, the situation in court should be stabilized as soon as possible, more fight for the throne and the power is more chaos, the new emperor seems to actually care for his subjects and is trying improve their living conditions, that is material for a good emperor.  

So, when it comes down to it the only motive QH has to support ED is to be GTY political opponent and screw GTY every chance he gets, isn't QH supposed to be intelligent? Could his motivation be more selfish and swallow?  My only hope is that QH is pretending to support ED and secretly reuniting information to bring down the corrupt officers helping on her side, but that seems very out of character.

So, that's the end of my rambling, what are your POV? for me this is plot weakness, that I'm trying hard to ignore.

I think I kinda it kinda makes sense that QH shouldn't be supporting the dowager due to his past and all, but I think he sees her as the only person that knows him now because of how she kinda was the only one that supported him to official court., you know that feelings that 'this person wishes me well and from what I know about this opposition of Ed, hmm there is one GTY there that loves to manipulate things to get what he wants, so it must means that this ED is a good person they want to eradicate, and since she is good to me while that GTY once betrayed me when I'm a good person, so I think this ED is the true right one since she is weak, why not let me support her.'.. So he kinda feels that anything thing GTY or his group is against is the actual right thing to support..without him knowing that the ED is just using him.. I'm looking forward to how he will realize he was wrong about the ED

16 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

I think I kinda it kinda makes sense that QH shouldn't be supporting the dowager due to his past and all, but I think he sees her as the only person that knows him now because of how she kinda was the only one that supported him to official court., you know that feelings that 'this person wishes me well and from what I know about this opposition of Ed, hmm there is one GTY there that loves to manipulate things to get what he wants, so it must means that this ED is a good person they want to eradicate, and since she is good to me while that GTY once betrayed me when I'm a good person, so I think this ED is the true right one since she is weak, why not let me support her.'.. So he kinda feels that anything thing GTY or his group is against is the actual right thing to support..without him knowing that the ED is just using him.. I'm looking forward to how he will realize he was wrong about the ED

Looks like the hard talk of ML with QH wasn't good enough to get his blinkers off.He is still stuck with GTY being the villain of the piece.He is a dangerous official to handle matters.His biases would get the better of him everytime and justice would be far from served.

5 hours ago, jewelsc said:

ML didn't seemed all that intimidated by those imperial ladies, the way she talked with the ED or the consort or even the states general's wife so i'm sure she can handle QH's mom..and who knows maybe she will come to like ML eventually after ML does her 'magic' power on her :D. Anyways, that's a moot point now and i agree, GTY is perfect for her.

I think so too, although she still holds some prejudice and still old fashion. She is not like the old Madam Qi anymore. As long as her son is happy now that’s all that matters, because she regretted what happened before. 

6 hours ago, doubleicon said:

lol no problem, I've been reading through this thread and all of that person's comments are literally just the same thing just worded differently lol I got so annoyed. I recognize GTY has flaws, but in no one do I treat him like that person treats QH. It just go to be very annoying lol.

I don’t see why people are triggered by it. Linhlinh doesn’t just post biased about GTY, she also makes a lot of insightful post on the novel... And last time I checked everyone was bashing QH. All the characters in the story got their fair share of hate/complaints. If you don’t like what people post about your favs then skip it. No need to get butt hurt here. We are here for friendly debates. 

57 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

It's more in the part where he doesn't want to be w/ concubines & ML hasn't quite figure it out yet that he's not like men who's wants to/easily consummate w/them. She's the only one in his eyes.  It's funny because he's avoiding concubines at every chance they come crawling into their house like bugs.

@greenwatch08  Yes she knows he loves her but she's also judging him from her dads past experiences.. ML don't understand the meaning of GTy not wanting to take a concubine.. This comes from the fact of how he open his heart to MN and look what that got him GTy will never trust no other outside women like that ever again not to the point of giving his heart to one of them.. GTY may have swore to himself the next women he ever be with will be the only women.. When ML spoke up for Ronger she sealed that deal for him even though he had a liking to her and saw there encounters was fate pushing them together something ML never paid any attention to.. GTy may have made the decision to marry her judging from how they first meet and she was the first to ever beat him at any game.. I think he should explain this to her and she'll stop taking in all those concubines thrown at him.. GTy don't want to bring another women in the home to cause more problems to the wife for he has seen this before in the Big House and in those brothels he was hold up at..  If he wants some strange he'll get it away from home and leave it at that.. Nothing more nothing less just some paid for trim and on about his business.. 

I'm thinking of one comment he made to his uncle.. (Which I think it's something behind it).. He ask his uncle why is he defending his step mom so hard.. Did GTY see something as a child between the two because I don't think this is something he's making up.. This could also be another reason why he don't want anything to do with a concubine.. His very own step mom was his dad concubine first before she married him.. So I chalk one up to him for not wanting to be bother with any of the hand outs but this should be explain to ML so she could figure out a way to get some kind of profit off these free offering women.. 

Hell the way they coming she should run a concubine black market selling them out to the highest bidder they do this to the virgins in the brothels sell them out to the highest bidder..I'm pretty sure she could make a nice piece of change.. She wouldn't need those god forsaken people to bring them they will come on there own.. I bet she'll keep a full house when they come all she has to say sorry no rioom for them..

@curiouser9

QH is intelligent but he's also a book worm and he follow the code strictly. Although I think he's not very politically smart.

For example the latest debate in court when the Emperor wanted to name his late birth father Emperor. According to the rules, when a man with status has no son, he can adopt his close relative as his son to be his heir (like when stepmom wanted eldest brother to adopt 3rd brother's son). When a man has been registered under a different father, his ties with his original parents are officially cut. He is not allowed to even call his birth parents father and mother, cuz he would be considered not filial to his current official father, whose title and asset he inherits. So in this case, QH was totally by the book when he said the Emperor had to call his birth father uncle.

However, the situation with the Emperor is rather special. He is now, in name, the late Emperor's son, so what's he's doing is wrong, but the whole process leading to this is unusual and of course the Emperor also has extraordinary status. His goal is to establish power against the ED. Whether or not to support his action depends on the flexibility of each politician. I can see some officials behind GTY (including CB) seemed to want to voice their opinions but GTY told them that this had been discussed over with the Emperor, so they decided to back out. This indicates they were against the Emperor's action, but then decided to go with the flow. 

I'm not sure what to feel about QH's action in this. On one hand I want him to just shut up and step down cuz this was better for him. He is putting himself in danger tangling in all of this. This is clearly putting him on the opposite side of the Emperor. And I don't want to see him helping the ED, intentionally or not. On the other hand, I would feel really disappointed if he also kept his mouth shut like everyone else. 

Some history fun facts: QH's position right now, a Yu shi, is a rather interesting position in ancient imperial court. Their job is to find other officials' fault and report them, so they are not very likable. Furthermore, they also usually criticize the Emperor, since this is to them the utmost proof that they are honest and brave. So even emperors don't like them (of course there are flexible Yu shi). The higher the status of the person they accuse (successfully) the faster they ascend through rankings. To a Yu shi, the most honorable mission is si jian, meaning to die while trying to stop the Emperor from wrongdoings. But most of the time they are just exaggerating things up.

P/S: This time even ML disapproved of the Emperor.

I love that TY is so outright/expressive in his affection while ML is more reserve in that nature, but also because she haven't quite understand what love is, hence TY explained that she's like a 3yr old who hasn't fully grasp the concept of love. Its funny when TY wanted her to call him darling but she couldn't do it. I also think it has to do with his ex mistress who calls him that all the time, so maybe that probably irks her. I cant wait to see how their relationship unfolds even more.

2 hours ago, greenwatch08 said:

I think it’s funny because ML does know that GTY doesn’t want any concubines. She only accepted that one because she was backed into a corner. However, knowing that GTY was upset and didn’t want it, she told GTY that next morning when they were in bed that after things settle down she’ll figure out a way to chase her out. :lol:  That’s why she wasn’t really jealous. But of course GTY wants her to express some jealousy.

2 hours ago, minglan1 said:

Thanks for explaining.The attacks on MLand GTY seems to be getting more viscious.The evil trio is stepping up their game.

Yeah, seems like it. About time ML-GTY up their game too. 

I'm so ready for ML to go torture Aunt Kang already! 

31 minutes ago, hello210 said:

I think it’s funny because ML does know that GTY doesn’t want any concubines. She only accepted that one because she was backed into a corner. However, knowing that GTY was upset and didn’t want it, she told GTY that next morning when they were in bed that after things settle down she’ll figure out a way to chase her out. :lol:  That’s why she wasn’t really jealous. But of course GTY wants her to express some jealousy.

I also get the notion that she doesnt want to put too much energy into these matters either since she already has other things to deal w/. So the situation w/ the concubines are trivial to her. TY such a lovesick puppy.

I am glad to find this forum to read some recap post for next eps or for the character analysis. I really enjoy watching TSOML esp ML n GTY character. 

With ML n QH, regretfully they are simply not meant to be - wrong timing (quoting from ML in re nanny Fang: u need fate, luck, n abilities to make ML his).  No matter how they seem they will be perfect together, they are just not meant to be. Their life if they ended up married also will not escape from rules, restriction, status and boundaries. There is No guarantee if ML’s life will be peaceful and problem-free. Reality check. 

For the main character is ML and GTY,  I like how the author uses two imperfect beings with their imperfect background learns to grow and learn to be the super couple (offense and defense; buy1get1 LOL). This is the reason why the story is built way back since childhood. I am super excited for each of their interraction and their growth esp in Love department ^_*

I enjoy reading all ur thoughts and recaps too. And i dont mind spoiler =)

Didnt ML mention that someone would have to serve TY if when she gets pregnant? I'm not sure if she meant it as in close/intimate way like a concubine or like a servant? Or both? It was the conversation she had w/XT when TY was w/the concubine that night.

12 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

Didnt ML mention that someone would have to serve TY if when she gets pregnant? I'm not sure if she meant it as in close/intimate way like a concubine or like a servant? Or both? It was the conversation she had w/XT when TY was w/the concubine that night.

The close/intimate way. Sleep with him basically. 

Which was why Danju said ML should consider sending her own- XiaoTao, Danju, Cui Wei (either one) to serve GTY, as they are all loyal to her, and will not be trying to take over her status or challenge her authority later. 

Which ML said that if GTY's heart isn't with her, it doesn't matter what she does, he will find his own anyway. So if the time comes, and if it comes to that, the only thing she could do is to protect her heart....so that life wouldn't be unbearable.

And she said she could not put them (XiaoTao, Danju, Cuiwei) through that just so that she can benefit from it. 

The whole conversation was very sad, in my opinion. 

5 hours ago, frenchfan said:

Xian'Er (GTY niece from his elder brother).  She is very bright and took to heart what her dad told her before he passed away.  To take care of her mom and not meddle in anyone's business especially if her grandma asked. Even told her mom to stay out since GTY never bother them and live their own life.

@frenchfan Which episode did Xian’Er  tell her mom not bother them and love their own life?

15 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

The close/intimate way. Sleep with him basically. 

Which was why Danju said ML should consider sending her own- XiaoTao, Danju, Cui Wei (either one) to serve GTY, as they are all loyal to her, and will not be trying to take over her status or challenge her authority later. 

Which ML said that if GTY's heart isn't with her, it doesn't matter what she does, he will find his own anyway. So if the time comes, and if it comes to that, the only thing she could do is to protect her heart....so that life wouldn't be unbearable.

And she said she could not put them (XiaoTao, Danju, Cuiwei) through that just so that she can benefit from it. 

The whole conversation was very sad, in my opinion. 

She just doesn't trust his heart and love for her yet, and she is still just a '3 year old' at understanding passionate love and this seems to be the kind of ways they do it then.. Don't worry she will soon trust his love for her.. Hahahaha:joy:.. Just like how she told GTY in ep 56, I guess, when GTY was beaten and she was worried, GTY asked her that is she like sad or worried for her husband or her GTY, she was like 'you've been saying these things for a long time now and I still don't understand what you mean by it.. She has also mentioned it one night to maybe in ep 56 too that she just didn't understand what he kinda wants when he says is it for her husband or is it for her Gu Tinye, like my husband and GTY are the same.. ML, the word of love is the only thing she doesn't get. Hahhahahah

Archived