[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

38 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

Someone translated the clip on YT saying the girl didn't want to be a concubine like her mother but aunty Kang was forcing her to be one..She begged for ML's help and didn't  want to go back to her home because she would surely die there.

@minglan1  Do this mean alll those girls that don't want to be concubines will volunteer to be the Gnrl concubine to get ML to give then there freedom.. Wow it would serve Auntie Kang right if ML did this but that would be hard for her to help since Step Mom got people watching outside the house seeing whats going and coming day and night.. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dito said:

I'm getting kind of tired of all the concubines raining down on GTY and ML's heads. Stepmom scheming...court politics.....QH being a dumbasss, getting manipulated by croc tears of ED is more than enough to cause stress to our couple....concubines are just overkill.

ML barely gets one sorted out ....another gets dumped on her.

Watching TY avoiding concubines like mosquitos is so hilarious. 

8 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

Hahhahah.. I'm so waiting for the time she goes on a killing spree.. But I think GTY will even back her up instead of calming her down, because to be honest he doesn't take betrayal lightly and he definitely hates those that disturbs him.. Hahahahhaha.. I'm so excited 

I'm also excited to see how ML exact this revenge on Auntie Kang @Suzzy San  I wish it takes place in front of step mom face to give her a whole new outlook on the concubine daughter that she hates.. I wish ML would do it and tells her she's next on the list because it's time for the Gu house to be peaceful for once in this lifetime..  

I thought the scene when Auntie Kang cane to lunch was a littke creepy the way she was checking out GTY as if she wanted him for herself.. The way she was checking him out like she was undressing him with seduction in her eyes.. Like Yea I want you

41 minutes ago, frenchfan said:

Stepmom found out ML is pregnant (yessssssssssss).  Her maid must have bribed someone from ML household to have info as they seemed to know quite a lot of what is happening very quickly.  Like when GTY had a fall out with ML and did sleep with her.  I am getting to really like Xian'Er (GTY niece from his elder brother).  She is very bright and took to heart what her dad told her before he passed away.  To take care of her mom and not meddle in anyone's business especially if her grandma asked. Even told her mom to stay out since GTY never bother them and live their own life.

Well said smart girl.. But @frenchfan It do look like she goes back and tells ML whats beig said at Big Mdms house.. Also is Evil Step Mom still trying to pressure her mom into adopted the 3rd brothers kid?

2 hours ago, gleek49 said:

If ML marry Dr.He, I think she'll be fine, she'll have a peaceful marriage without too much trouble. Nice husband, nice in-laws, even the nasty ones probably won't be smart enough to put up a proper fight against ML. Dr. He is the faithful kind, so ML won't have to worry much about concubine problems. But I can't help thinking that it will also be a waste of her talents. Right now, she has to deal with the nastiest kind of people, but man, is she powerful and awesome flexing all of her brain muscles =))) And I doubt that Dr. He will be able to fearlessly stand up against SH for her like GTY did in ep 52. Also, her current marriage is exciting, her husband gets her better than most people, their banters and interactions are bursting with so much chemistry and energy, even their fighting, whilst dumb and childish sometimes, are fun and thrilling (and very entertaining for us to watch). I, for one, don't worry about their fighting, they fight but it doesn't strain their relationship, they fight but they still have each other's back when necessary, they can fight then stop to discuss other matters or stop discussing other matters to fight. Idk, I just find all the fighting endearing and actually help strengthening their relationship not damaging it. I laugh at GTY's stepmother's glee when she finds out that they're sleeping in separate rooms, like lady, you underestimate them, they're not gonna break that easily :lol:

Anyway, my point is that though Dr.He is nice and all (bless him), I think that ML would have to settle for much less than she's capable of if she marry him, that her marriage with him, while peaceful, would left her somewhat cramped and unsatisfied. I genuinely believe that she will be much more free and happy marrying the one she's with now.

ML & TY is also far more interesting pair than if she'd been w/QH or He. They both bring out the best in eachother. Not only that, they both are so cunning & witty, they can handle anything/anyone who tries to tear them down. Plus, TY gives the upmost respects/care & always considers ML reputation & wellbeing.

I love their bickering moments & their current tension. Not only is their relationship thrilling, it's also satisfying to watch both of them interact w/each other. There's depth in the dialogue/conversation between the two. They are a powerhouse duo, a force not to be reckon with. 

Previously, in one of the ep, ML said "Do not have too much hope. Otherwise it leads to disappointment. And too much disappointment leads to hatred and resentment, and life becomes unbearable". 

When QH let her down, she told XiaoTao she doesn't resent or hate him. 

And when she spoke to him now, she again told him she has never resented or hated him for what happened, does show that she has never placed much hope on him too..

I could be the odd ball here, but I thought ML and QH's meeting was much needed. And better for GTY to overheard...

It's a score that has been left unsettled for too long, with everyone assuming they know what the others are thinking and/or feeling. 

ML used the idea of bringing back the dead was apt. No matter how bad we wanted it, we can't bring the dead back. We can't turn back time...

QH believes that he's trying to set her free from GTY. Because she doesn't love GTY. Because she never cried for GTY. Because she never pine for GTY, missing him like QH misses her. 

It was a wake up call for him when ML told him she never cried bitter tears for him too. 

That whilst he claimed to be doing everything for her, it was never from her perspectives. Always on his. 

It was a bitter pill to swallow for him, but a much needed one, imho.  

The last time they met, she told him that as long as he doesn't give up, she wouldnt. 

That was QH's last memory of her and seems to have held on to that belief that ML still wants him the same way he wants her. 

He was afraid that she resented him. But when she told him she has never resented him, he was even more disappointed, for he wanted to be in her heart. Even if it's hate. 

He has to matter enough for her to resent him.

Fact is, she moved on. It's past now. She let go. 

He needs to as well, and I see the meeting as a way to give him a closure. 

GTY's stepmom's punishment should be (1) public humiliation as she deceitfully potrays a clean public appearance (2) thrown inside and slow death in a well,  as she n her families lived unethically on deceased properties (GTY's late mum), best secretly abandon her in the mountains and eaten up by wild animals..

Maniang's sister shld also be given same treatment.

21 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Previously, in one of the ep, ML said "Do not have too much hope. Otherwise it leads to disappointment. And too much disappointment leads to hatred and resentment, and life becomes unbearable". 

And when she spoke to him now, she again told him she has never resented or hated him for what happened, does show that she has never placed much hope on him too..

I could be the odd ball here, but I thought ML and QH's meeting was much needed. And better for GTY to overheard...

It's a score that has been left unsettled for too long, with everyone assuming they know what the others are thinking and/or feeling. 

ML used the idea of bringing back the dead was apt. No matter how bad we wanted it, we can't bring the dead back. We can't turn back time...

QH believes that he's trying to set her free from GTY. Because she doesn't love GTY. Because she never cried for GTY. Because she never pine for GTY, missing him like QH misses her. 

It was a wake up call for him when ML told him she never cried bitter tears for him too. 

That whilst he claimed to be doing everything for her, it was never from her perspectives. Always on his. 

The last time they met, she told him that as long as he doesn't give up, she wouldnt. 

That was QH's last memory of her and seems to have held on to that belief that ML still wants him the same way he wants her. 

He was afraid that she resented him. But when she told him she has never resented him, he was even more disappointed, for he wanted to be in her heart. Even if it's hate. 

This scene was really good. Like ML said, QH is childish. He's delusional assuming ML would ever think about him because of their past affairs. ML is a realist & practical. She's moved on already. It's time that QH does the same. It's great that ML is the one to tell him because he needs a reality check. He disregards his wife's feelings long enough, and yet he still completely does not understand ML at all.<_< 

7 hours ago, shihuangdi said:

I'm also confused about her character involvement in this. Maybe they just trying to portray her as evil who involve in the killing of grandma later. And also, why would she even plotted to kill grandma when Wang Ruofu is already the remaining wife left at Sheng household, and she is also in charge of finance there isn't she? So why the need to meddle with ML's life?

Maybe she wants one of her daughter to be part of the Gu family, like she obviously offering stepmom a "good" concubine for GTY.

In the novel, aunty Kang promised her sister that she would help Wang Ruofu to deteriorate grandma's health so that she can regain full household authority. However, Aunty Kang's real plan was to poison grandma with very potent drug so that she can use grandma's death to blackmail Wang Ruofu for money. This lady is a vicious snake, she doesn't only want power from ML and GTY but also money from the Sheng family. Luckily, grandma only took a small bit of the poison so she survived but her health greatly suffered afterward. That's why ML went crazy.

2 hours ago, frenchfan said:

I do pity Mrs Kang shu daughter especially when she begged for her life but why do they always think that being the concubine will solve their problems?  I mean poor ML.  Now she has people crying to her to be the concubine to GTY or if not granted, they will commit suicide in front of her.  That was what annoys me no end......

If my understanding is correct, the poor woman was pretty much threatened to be GTY's concubine. 

From both Aunt Kang convo with evil stepmom and the girl to ML, it seems like Aunt Kang was holding her mom ransom, and if the girl doesn't listen, she would have her mom pay the price. 

That's just pure evil. 

I can see why ML soften up, because the poor girl seems to only want to protect her mom, and is left with no options but to obey Aunt Kang. 

From preview, it seems that she really have no choice but to die in order to save her mom if ML denies her, rather than an act to get pity. 

4 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

If my understanding is correct, the poor woman was pretty much threatened to be GTY's concubine. 

From both Aunt Kang convo with evil stepmom and the girl to ML, it seems like Aunt Kang was holding her mom ransom, and if the girl doesn't listen, she would have her mom pay the price. 

That's just pure evil. 

I can see why ML soften up, because the poor girl seems to only want to protect her mom, and is left with no options but to obey Aunt Kang. 

From preview, it seems that she really have no choice but to die in order to save her mom if ML denies her, rather than an act to get pity. 

I hope she doesn't eventually turn bad if ML let's her stay and betray ML later.. Let her be another supporter of ML and later ML can look for a good husband for her 

4 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

I hope she doesn't eventually turn bad if ML let's her stay and betray ML later.. Let her be another supporter of ML and later ML can look for a good husband for her 

Or ML just takes her in and put her in one of her courtyard, keeping her away, and when time is right, move her away. Lol. 

Until now the other "concubine" hasn't made another appearance it seems, after her "night" with GTY. 

ML has given her instruction to stay low and stay in her courtyard. :lol:

She's like refuge camp. :sweatingbullets:

55 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Most definitely. 

I like the scene when TY tells her he wasn't mad at her for seeing QH but because of what she said. She told QH to be more considerate to his wife's feelings, yet ML hasn't quite figured out why TY gets riled up when ML is doing the same w/him. ML still has a defense/wall up around her heart. This current tension between the two is where both ML & TY needs to communicate inorder to be at the same level emotionally. 

10 hours ago, frenchfan said:

BTW in one of the trailer for future episodes, seems like QH is going to land himself in a hot soup with the emperor when he insisted why the ED wasn't there.  The emperor left the court hall and you could see QH gulping nervously.  I hope he will not fall for the ED ploy and be her puppet but I fear that his family ties will kind of make him do her bidding.  

GTY is lucky to have ML as wife as she is more cautious.  Example, when Manniang resurfaced and tried to strangle Rong'Er, he got mad and would have killed Manniang in rage but ML interfered knowing that evil stepmom would be watching them 24/7.  She calmed him down and got him to see reasons and planned what they should be doing next. Always thinking ahead so whatever happens will not impact him and his place at court.  Like the ED, the emperor has a BUY-1-FREE-1 with the Gu family.   Stepmom was curious why there was no hooha as she knows well GTY's temperament and her maid told her that ML interfered.  Then when the grand aunt of GTY came to give him a concubine, ML accepted and thwarted stepmom's plan to get close to grand aunt as she was anticipating ML to refuse like she did in the past. I am pleased to see that they are such a matching couple.  

I am anticipating the poisoning of grandma next.  I want to see angry ML.  "I want justice" like in the trailer :D      

I was dying at ED's "Buy 1 get 1" comment. It's so hilarious, but so true. The emperor really hits the jackpot with GTY, but I think he starts to get skeptical about GTY and his son. The emperor didn't want to be crowned initially but it's GTY and his son who really pushed him forward. I think deep down inside the emperor feels uneasy because he gets the crown thanks to his son. I can see foresee that the ED will take advantage of this conflict to gain her power dominance. She already had people around the emperor "unintentionally" suggesting him of how capable the prince and GTY are. Hard time is coming!

24 minutes ago, purplefall94 said:

In the novel, aunty Kang promised her sister that she would help Wang Ruofu to deteriorate grandma's health so that she can regain full household authority. However, Aunty Kang's real plan was to poison grandma with very potent drug so that she can use grandma's death to blackmail Wang Ruofu for money. This lady is a vicious snake, she doesn't only want power from ML and GTY but also money from the Sheng family. Luckily, grandma only took a small bit of the poison so she survived but her health greatly suffered afterward. That's why ML went crazy.

Omg thank goodness she survived. I thought she would die from it. I was so sad. :( 

32 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

@m0us3y  I also like the fact that GTY overhears this conversation.. He also needed to conformation on his beliefs of her not choosing him ever again.. GTy seen ML put closure to there pasy as he watch how QH still not ready to let go even after they both arte married.. 

QH trying to set her free from what when she clearly choose to walk into the lions den with her head held high and no regrets or looking back.. His version of setting her free to do what.. He can't be with her because after being married to GTY and a first wife she's not going to walk in a concubine shoes like her mom.. This is something else QH hasn;t thought about nor do he think about the consequences of his actions at all..  Always a day late and $10.00 to short..

The more I re-watch ep 51 and 52 I get teed off more and more at SH..

Here's my take on both episodes.. Molan knew her husband was chatting with SH about entering her mom into the Sheng household book also setting up and memorial for her.. (Which this conversation took place more then once) I think the topic was brought up to test the waters for SH was fearing Big Mdm would blow a fuse.. Which none of them expected for Ming Lan to pop off the way she did.. Molan husband thinking just because Molan is the eldest of the three girls he had the right to put Ming lan in her place thinking that he can flex his authourity over her.. He's has not paid any attention or not looking at how Molan is treated like and outcast by the younger two for other reasons alone.. Molan had instilled into her husband head that she was the one always was mistreated by the family learning of really how his marriage came to fruitation..  And still donlt realizes his wife lies that has sprewed out of her mouth was all because she envies Ming Lan life.. Learning of two men of reputable clans wanted her as there first wife and even her own husbands mom wanted her as her son first wife.. Molan also mad wirh herself for jumping at the first choice that came to her.. I know she had to be whispering bad things in SH ears about what supposed to be said about Ming Lan from the other noble women.. SH choice of slapping Ming Lan was to save the faces of Molan CL and the concubine pusy chasing SIL..

I sometimes think what would have happenend if she really married him as the first wife.. Molan would really be in bad shape just because she's the older sister dosen't mean she gets to have this right when it comes to husband and wife..  

1 hour ago, sava2sava said:

@minglan1  Do this mean alll those girls that don't want to be concubines will volunteer to be the Gnrl concubine to get ML to give then there freedom.. Wow it would serve Auntie Kang right if ML did this but that would be hard for her to help since Step Mom got people watching outside the house seeing whats going and coming day and night.. 

I wish the concubine doesn't die and pile on the problems for ML.Hopefully post this the concubine gifting incidents will see a closure.I am so ready for it

Hope the writer to is all done with this plot angle.

24 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

Most definitely. 

I like the scene when TY tells her he wasn't mad at her for seeing QH but because of what she said. She told QH to be more considerate to his wife's feelings, yet ML hasn't quite figured out why TY gets riled up when ML is doing the same w/him. ML still has a defense/wall up around her heart. This current tension between the two is where both ML & TY needs to communicate inorder to be at the same level emotionally. 

Actually in ML's 3yo mind with love, and a genius mind with everything else, she is being very considerate of GTY. 

That's why she told him that she knows GTY dotes on her, and hence, she's not jealous of the concubine. That's the most correct answer for a wife to give her husband.

Except GTY wanted her to be jealous but she's totally not getting it. 

Hence he got angry with her for 2 whole months and she still hasn't figured out what to do! 

So she just said let him be. Even if she misses her lively GTY, she didn't say anything because she's doesn't know what is wrong at the first place! :lol:

I just find the whole situation hilarious. 

He's fuming, she's clueless. :lol:

46 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

That's just pure evil. 

Thanks for explaining.The attacks on MLand GTY seems to be getting more viscious.The evil trio is stepping up their game.

41 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:
47 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

That's just pure evil. 

My sentimemts exactly @Suzzy San  Let's hope ML and GTy can save her mom and have both of them set up in a nice family..  She could come back later and help rip step mom and Auntie Kang masks off there faces. 

I have a question.. Whats with 3rd brother meeting with the Old Man ?

28 minutes ago, purplefall94 said:

I was dying at ED's "Buy 1 get 1" comment. It's so hilarious, but so true. The emperor really hits the jackpot with GTY, but I think he starts to get skeptical about GTY and his son. The emperor didn't want to be crowned initially but it's GTY and his son who really pushed him forward. I think deep down inside the emperor feels uneasy because he gets the crown thanks to his son. I can see foresee that the ED will take advantage of this conflict to gain her power dominance. She already had people around the emperor "unintentionally" suggesting him of how capable the prince and GTY are. Hard time is coming!

@purplefall94  ED needs GTY exiled or killed in order to control her territory she'll bring him back only if he pledges loyalty to her.. But I'm leaning more towards having him killed because of the friendship he has with the prince.. ED knows if he's exiled the prince would release him once he comes to power and those who help her exile him would pay the price.. At this point it would be a good idea for GTY to stay away from court and focos on military training until his name stop ringing in every matter that goes on in court..

6 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

I wish the concubine doesn't die and pile on the problems for ML.Hopefully post this the concubine gifting incidents will see a closure.I am so ready for it

Hope the writer to is all done with this plot angle.

@minglan1  It is funny watching those poor girls waiting for him to take the bait and he don't give them the time of day or night.. Sad but so true.. GTY is to busy trying to get his wife to confess her love for him.. No anount of concubine bringing is going to change that.. I just hope he gets a confession out of her before the drama ends..

Whats going on with viki uploading the last two episodes..By now one of the episodes will be fully subbed..   

Archived