[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

1 hour ago, linhlinh111 said:

Aunti Kang short biography:

Back then when Aunti Kang and Wang Daniang were still single. For various reasons, Daniang was brought up by their grandparents while Aunti Kang grew up with their mother. Therefore, she was like their mother's precious daughter while Daniang and mother weren't very close. Aunti Kang grew up pampered by their mother and brothers to be a spoilt child. She believed she should have the best things in the world, everyone should revolve around her and she secretly looked down on her sister, considering her sister stupid and lowly. Then there were two men came to propose marriage to Wang family. Aunti Kang was the favoured one so she was allowed to choose first. Of course she chose the high status son of a Marquis, and Daniang was married off to Sheng Hong, who was just a low-level official at the time. 

Aunti Kang was very proud of her status and marriage. However, as time went by, the Marquis proved himself to be an extreme playboy. While being an useless man in his career, having no real influence in the government, he was very good at sweeping up girls and producing babies. Marquis Kang didn't care nor respect her at all. Aunti Kang had to deal with her husband's many shu children, using her own dowry to support them when they got married. She despised his concubines and shu children, treating them badly, coming up with any scheme necessary to get rid of them. Marquis Kang was also a despicable selfish man. He didn't care one bit about his women or children and pretty much just let Aunti Kang got her way. She married off most of the shu daughters to be concubines of old powerful men, sometimes in exchange for certain benefits, sometimes just to ruin them. Aunti Kang has become quite a sadistic distorted person who is jealous with anyone else's happiness. She especially hates low status people, concubines and shu children. She advises and supports her lady friends to use underhanded methods against the concubines. She holds petty grudges and will try to harm anyone who dares to oppose her (or not give a damn about her, she considers it a form of disrespect, she's a VIP).

Back to Daniang. When they were just married, Sheng Hong actually treated her well, respected her. She had quite a happy marriage. Aunti Kang was furious. She was jealous and she thought Daniang was not supposed to be better than her in any way. So she started whispering into Daniang's ears, encouraging her to interfere into SH's career. Daniang, proven to be a stupid and easy to be manipulated woman, lost SH's favor, that's when Concubine Lin came into the picture. She then encouraged Daniang to fight off CL, however, CL was also a cunning woman. Result: Daniang completely lost SH's trust and fell in power. Til then Daniang still didn't realize she should stay away from Aunti Kang. How stupid is this Daniang anyway?

Aunti Kang, although having no blood connection with Sheng family, considered herself an elder of the family and wanted everyone to respect and obey her. When Grandma told Daniang to stay away from her, she took that as an offense and kept score. She despised all shu children, especially ML, who was raised by Grandma. However, ML was married off to a Marquis-to-be general, who was a better catch than any of her own daughters could have. She was filled with rage and jealousy. She couldn't accept the fact that someone so lowly as ML will now have the same rank as her. From her POV, ML should know her place and bow down to her instead of standing so high and mighty. She hates ML and will jump at any opportunity to harm her.

And that's all the reasons behind Aunti Kang's actions. There's no logic at all in this crazy woman. She is just a malicious self-centered maniac whose only joy is to watch people suffer.

Now everything makes sense why Kang Yima acted an A grade a-hole towards ML and her family. Dang it why ahhh Daniang has a sudden drop of intelligent whenever she face this sister of her? Daning's argument always like "she is my blood sister. So why would she scheme against me?" Like dude where did you throw your brain?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, gleek49 said:

Oh, so that's what you mean. Yeah, like you, I get the same impression from that person, too. Sorry, I was a bit annoyed at that moment so I jumped the gun :D 

lol no problem, I've been reading through this thread and all of that person's comments are literally just the same thing just worded differently lol I got so annoyed. I recognize GTY has flaws, but in no one do I treat him like that person treats QH. It just go to be very annoying lol.

1 hour ago, huahuacaocao said:

OMG the trailer for ep 62 tv ver..... so hype. Minglan telling GTY about her pregnancy so cute... and then Chang Momo standing up for Minglan and then Auntie Kang tripping HAHA

Chang momo is the best! She disregard her status and scolded both Mdm Qin and Kang yima. No Chang momo is a MVP and deserve an award now lol. And the moment Kang yima trip, I was like "YESSS THAT WHAT YOU GET B.... HOPE YOUR FEET GET LAME" lol

1 hour ago, shenmiao98 said:

God's

What a miserable and pathetic existence.

She and the step mother should get locked up in a remote prison and starve.

Or die like CL, alone and pathetic.

I hope the screen writers spice things up with regard the retribution faced by Mdm Qin and Kang Yima liked they did with CL's ending. Come on screenwriters, don't disappoint me pleaseee

7 minutes ago, dito said:

I was annoyed too at first but then another clip showed the concubine crying and begging ML not to send her back. I think she is scared to death of Kang Aunt.....Kang must have made her life hell to become so desperate to get out of that house.

Yes I saw the clip too. I hope it was like you think it is so it can be more justifiable and acceptable for her action. And not because she fall in love with GTY or anything blahblahblah.

3 hours ago, sava2sava said:

jewelsc  You have to think about what day and age ML is living in and when it comes to the Step Mom  Vs  PP to totally different women.. The Gu house women don;t carry the status that the princess carries she would have to libe more cautiosly then ever not opening up hiding back at lot of she wants to say.. She would never ride another horse or play a polo match ever again because in PP etyes this is something a Princess DIL don;gt do or wouldn't do .. If ML married him she'll be living in a cage may as well marry a king and live inside that cage of the palace..   

ML didn't seemed all that intimidated by those imperial ladies, the way she talked with the ED or the consort or even the states general's wife so i'm sure she can handle QH's mom..and who knows maybe she will come to like ML eventually after ML does her 'magic' power on her :D. Anyways, that's a moot point now and i agree, GTY is perfect for her.

I really want to see more lovely dovey scenes of minglan and GTY...I feel like we haven't gotten that many. I've replayed all the ones we got so many times. They are sooo cute even when they are fighting. After reading auntie kang's background I still think that woman has some nerve. Who does she think she is? The Emperor himself? She needs to sit down somewhere and stay quiet. Ugh, I can't wait for her ending/doom to come. It better be horrible too just like CL's was. 

10 hours ago, shihuangdi said:

Personally, I’d choose GTY over QH. Just because QH and ML were in love, doesn’t mean they will have a happy life. His mother consented the marriage not because she likes ML but because of the current situation the Qi family was in at that time. The Qi parents were also seen bad mouthing ML when they heard about GTY buying food for ML and her “antics” at the Gu household. 

I feel like GTY can protects ML better. He doesn’t care about his or his family image, he just do whatever he likes. He can stand up to his stepmom and uncles/aunts, the thing I doubt QH can. If ML is with QH, I don’t think she can be freely expressing herself like when she is with GTY. I think QH only see the soft, weak, elegant, virtous side of ML.

Also we don’t know what that arrogant Princess (Qi Mama) would do as ML mother in law. QH may loves ML and defends her at times but what about those time he is not home. ML probably continues to live a pretentious life like she was at the Sheng house so she is safe. And he will not have the guts to move out of the Qi manor like GTY did. There is also no guarantee that QH wouldn’t take in a concubine even when he said he wouldn’t. GTY said when he propose that he can’t guarantee that life with him would be easy, but I think with GTY, ML can become herself rather than pretending to be stupid and in daze all the time. 

Agree with yr views totally. But seeing too many and almost non stop/continous problems ML had to face.. could be one reason she is still without child (stressful life) eventho having GTY in bed almost daily.

Like grandma GTY is always alert and there to back up ML in messy situations which still aggreviates situations (others getting even jealous/ displeased/uneasy of ML - Molan, dad, stepmom, etc even Empress Dowager). So seems her problems coming from all corners look like endlesss.

QH is deeply in love.. legally married he shows respect to the wife but no deep interest/feelings so I pretty safely can assume concubine will not be too much of an issue. Even his 1st marriage looks like he did not have any. And selection definitely will be under mama's close scrutinity or only if he requests for one.

Mama learnt a bitter lesson.. the kidnap/rape/murder of bethrothed girl, QH crazy late wife and the threatment she received during the rebellion (she became cuckoo or acted?). But with one and only heir the love of her life and after what happened I presume she may now always give in to QH.

ML had enough childhood abusive memories even badly/carelessly treated by own father..  with GTY she had to face similar and worse situations... like getting out of a crocodiles mouth and jumping into a dragons mouth LOL (our local proverb), she deserves something better. 

Feelings between GTY/ML is still on early "testing" mode... ML swallowing all kinds of rubbish thrown her way and they have now combined the 2 Manors which is going to get worse. With these going on and GTY hazardous profession in military and court .. its tough to build a harmonious and happy life if their own. I can imagine even their kids may be victimised too due to power and greed in the Gu family.

As fir Dr He. We see how dejected and unhappy Molan is since she got married. Look, just to get out some secrets about Molan he already offered himself to the maid!! LOL

1 hour ago, dito said:

I was annoyed too at first but then another clip showed the concubine crying and begging ML not to send her back. I think she is scared to death of Kang Aunt.....Kang must have made her life hell to become so desperate to get out of that house.

I do pity Mrs Kang shu daughter especially when she begged for her life but why do they always think that being the concubine will solve their problems?  I mean poor ML.  Now she has people crying to her to be the concubine to GTY or if not granted, they will commit suicide in front of her.  That was what annoys me no end......

If ML marry Dr.He, I think she'll be fine, she'll have a peaceful marriage without too much trouble. Nice husband, nice in-laws, even the nasty ones probably won't be smart enough to put up a proper fight against ML. Dr. He is the faithful kind, so ML won't have to worry much about concubine problems. But I can't help thinking that it will also be a waste of her talents. Right now, she has to deal with the nastiest kind of people, but man, is she powerful and awesome flexing all of her brain muscles =))) And I doubt that Dr. He will be able to fearlessly stand up against SH for her like GTY did in ep 52. Also, her current marriage is exciting, her husband gets her better than most people, their banters and interactions are bursting with so much chemistry and energy, even their fighting, whilst dumb and childish sometimes, are fun and thrilling (and very entertaining for us to watch). I, for one, don't worry about their fighting, they fight but it doesn't strain their relationship, they fight but they still have each other's back when necessary, they can fight then stop to discuss other matters or stop discussing other matters to fight. Idk, I just find all the fighting endearing and actually help strengthening their relationship not damaging it. I laugh at GTY's stepmother's glee when she finds out that they're sleeping in separate rooms, like lady, you underestimate them, they're not gonna break that easily :lol:

Anyway, my point is that though Dr.He is nice and all (bless him), I think that ML would have to settle for much less than she's capable of if she marry him, that her marriage with him, while peaceful, would left her somewhat cramped and unsatisfied. I genuinely believe that she will be much more free and happy marrying the one she's with now.

I was checking out this video it's some pretty violent scenes in this video

Spoiler

I'm wondering who ML stabbing with a spear.. 

Spoiler

@frenchfan  It's halarious poor girl don';t know when she's up.. She's like now is it my turn..:w00t:  I guess finally she realized Ain't Nothin Happening.. I'll just take my but to sleep.. Also poor shitou really caught hell that night..

5 hours ago, shihuangdi said:

What happened to Shitou? Did he get tricked by the lady maid?

@shihuangdi  It's most likely another one of step mom schemes, She can't get her on concubine in there so next person to go after to get her concubie in there is Shitou.. She's trying to plant oine next to him to spy for her.. I think it would be funny if Xiotou would come out and say what do he want with your old but when he has me..  Atleast it would be cute if she says he was with me at said time as her event happen..

5 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Does not look like Shitou was tricked seems like someone else

@ForgottenSoulx  I think it was the one at the wedding saying that he never sen people bowing to two tablets when and alive parent was there.. :lol:

5 hours ago, frenchfan said:

She is a meddling witch who has too much time in her hands.  Hualan was saying to ML that she goes back to see her parents a few times a week now and Auntie Kang the Witch was always there.  This is a bad omen as she never cease to fan discord and has vicious tongue that will only cause trouble for her sister.  That grandma has already warned SH's main wife that she should distance herself eventhough Mme Kang is her biological sister.  Seems like grandma knows the kind of woman she is.  I do wonder her motives unless it was just pure pettiness on her part because I cannot see any monetary gain.  

@frenchfan  Auntie Kamg only brought her sister nothing but trouble.. Granny warned her not to try and have her involved in ML house necause she already knew what type of women Auntie Kang was and she'll try and control everyone there if she moves in even if it's for a few days would have turned into years..  I'm hoping Granny got there and throw out the concubines and put Auntie Kamg in her place.. My guess is this would be when the posioning of her happens and ML takes them to task..  

It was nice seeing that scene Auntie Kang falling flat on her face after conniving with step mom..

Also who was that Auntie Kang slap.? 

Did anyone translate the scene of what step mom was saying while talking to her maid. She looked really upset.. Did she also learn of ML pregnancy.?

54 minutes ago, frenchfan said:

I do pity Mrs Kang shu daughter especially when she begged for her life but why do they always think that being the concubine will solve their problems?  I mean poor ML.  Now she has people crying to her to be the concubine to GTY or if not granted, they will commit suicide in front of her.  That was what annoys me no end......

Someone translated the clip on YT saying the girl didn't want to be a concubine like her mother but aunty Kang was forcing her to be one..She begged for ML's help and didn't  want to go back to her home because she would surely die there.

6 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

Someone translated the clip on YT saying the girl didn't want to be a concubine like her mother but aunty Kang was forcing her to be one..She begged for ML's help and didn't  want to go back to her home because she would surely die there.

Then I hope she will be sent somewhere far far away where Mrs Kang cannot get her.  Like what Minglan did for one of the maid sent by stepmom.  Sighhhhhhhhhh  those women are really awful.:rage:

44 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

I was checking out this video it's some pretty violent scenes in this video

Reveal hidden contents

I'm wondering who ML stabbing with a spear.. 

Reveal hidden contents

@frenchfan  It's halarious poor girl don';t know when she's up.. She's like now is it my turn..:w00t:  I guess finally she realized Ain't Nothin Happening.. I'll just take my but to sleep.. Also poor shitou really caught hell that night..

@shihuangdi  It's most likely another one of step mom schemes, She can't get her on concubine in there so next person to go after to get her concubie in there is Shitou.. She's trying to plant oine next to him to spy for her.. I think it would be funny if Xiotou would come out and say what do he want with your old but when he has me..  Atleast it would be cute if she says he was with me at said time as her event happen..

@ForgottenSoulx  I think it was the one at the wedding saying that he never sen people bowing to two tablets when and alive parent was there.. :lol:

@frenchfan  Auntie Kamg only brought her sister nothing but trouble.. Granny warned her not to try and have her involved in ML house necause she already knew what type of women Auntie Kang was and she'll try and control everyone there if she moves in even if it's for a few days would have turned into years..  I'm hoping Granny got there and throw out the concubines and put Auntie Kamg in her place.. My guess is this would be when the posioning of her happens and ML takes them to task..  

It was nice seeing that scene Auntie Kang falling flat on her face after conniving with step mom..

Also who was that Auntie Kang slap.? 

Did anyone translate the scene of what step mom was saying while talking to her maid. She looked really upset.. Did she also learn of ML pregnancy.?

LOL I laughed when she fell.  I hope she broke something.  That would totally served her right.  And that was after Momo cursed her too :joy::joy::joy:.  Auntie Kang slapped her shu daughter.  The one that she wants to give as concubine to GTY.  No shame at all!  Acting like as if she has any right to do so. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Stepmom found out ML is pregnant (yessssssssssss).  Her maid must have bribed someone from ML household to have info as they seemed to know quite a lot of what is happening very quickly.  Like when GTY had a fall out with ML and did sleep with her.  I am getting to really like Xian'Er (GTY niece from his elder brother).  She is very bright and took to heart what her dad told her before he passed away.  To take care of her mom and not meddle in anyone's business especially if her grandma asked. Even told her mom to stay out since GTY never bother them and live their own life.

11 minutes ago, frenchfan said:

Then I hope she will be sent somewhere far far away where Mrs Kang cannot get her.  Like what Minglan did for one of the maid sent by stepmom.  Sighhhhhhhhhh  those women are really awful.:rage:

I want Aunty Kang to get punished severely like CL.She had no business meddling in ML's life in the 1st place. At least the girl is not interested to be a concubine small comfort for ML.

Aunti Kang is a perfect example of how a faulty upbringing can ruin a person's life.

Aunti Kang was Wang grandma's favourite child (Wang grandma is Daniang and Aunti Kang's mother) and she was very much biased towards her. She raised her exactly the was Stepmom raised GTY (with good intentions though): pampering her, giving her everything she wanted, never punishing her for her wrongdoings. Therefore she grew up looking down on everyone, even her own siblings. She considered them no more than underlings to order around. Even after Aunti Kang got married and moved out, Wang grandma was still very protective of her. Everytime Aunti Kang stirred up troubles, Wang grandma would go ask her sons to cover it up for their sister. In order to do that, they had to ask favors from many people, resulted in them missing many chances to ascend in rankings. Aunti Kang has never had to take responsibilities for any her actions all her life. Thus she goes around sticking her nose in anything she wants without worrying. If anyone is to blame for this situation, it would be Wang grandma. Later in the poison case you would see how ridiculous she is towards Aunti Kang.

I'm getting kind of tired of all the concubines raining down on GTY and ML's heads. Stepmom scheming...court politics.....QH being a dumbasss, getting manipulated by croc tears of ED is more than enough to cause stress to our couple....concubines are just overkill.

ML barely gets one sorted out ....another gets dumped on her.

TSoML is one of those few gems of a drama I breezed through so quickly. I'm already caught up to all the episodes in viki. The drama has been such a joy to watch. The tone & atmosphere feels natural & realistic w/out the use of jarring music & close up shots/slo-mo, in comparison to k-dramas where everything is over the top & dramatic, which makes the shows garish/obnoxious. Cinematography is great, because characters interact w/ the enviroment rather than interacting w/the camera. It feels more intimate & real. The dialogue for this show is A+. So witty and engaging. 

It's so amusing & cute seeing ZLY&FSF as ML&TY. They're adorable. I love their relationship so much as ML&TY. I'd say it's probably the more well written relationship between two characters I've seen in a while. It helps that the characterization for both leads is well done. The drama does a great job establishing ML & TY as individuals first before becoming an eventual pair. The show perfectly explores their marriage that's imperfect as a work in progress. I love the mutual respect & admiration both ML&TY have for one another before & after marriage. 

4 hours ago, minglan1 said:

They only have 16 episodes left.Will they have time to show granny's poisoning?

@minglan1  I think they will include this in the plot, Auntie Kang and Step Mom has to get they just desert.. It wouldn;t be no fun to the story if step mom don't get her Karma so yes they'll add it right along with her son dying by and arrow shot..

1 hour ago, dopez said:

I hope the screen writers spice things up with regard the retribution faced by Mdm Qin and Kang Yima liked they did with CL's ending. Come on screenwriters, don't disappoint me pleaseee

@dopez  The best Karmatic retribution for step mom is her son dying, No amount of I'm sorry she could plead to GTY to save her sorry life would help her.. This is the best ending for her losing her own son due to her own greed..Justice Was Served..

1 hour ago, Sirry Usly said:

I really want to see more lovely dovey scenes of minglan and GTY...I feel like we haven't gotten that many. I've replayed all the ones we got so many times. They are sooo cute even when they are fighting. After reading auntie kang's background I still think that woman has some nerve. Who does she think she is? The Emperor himself? She needs to sit down somewhere and stay quiet. Ugh, I can't wait for her ending/doom to come. It better be horrible too just like CL's was. 

@Sirry Usly  4th sister is a straight shooter. She fully warned ML that Auntie Kang would be coming for her I just don't think ML had realized it would be this soon..  ML may have had in the back of her mind if she tries something it would be after Granny has past.. ML isn't prepared for Auntie Kang just yet and due to her pregnancy and morning sickness..  She may be wanting to put these problems on the back burner til after she gices birth but Auntie Kang going to mess with Grannies life brought the wrong side of ML out no one would ever know was there.. ML refuse to see another loved one dies due to someoine else greed especially when they close to her.. We may see GTY having to calm her down as she goes on a killing spree..  

1 hour ago, Katrina Abdul Talib said:

As for Dr He. We see how dejected and unhappy Molan is since she got married. Look, just to get out some secrets about Molan he already offered himself to the maid!! LOL

@Katrina Abdul Talib  The scene of SH wanting to slap ML shows not only is he's not jealous that his own child raised above him in status but he was also angry that she was more richer then Molan.. Molan went out of the house with a scandal even Rulan had a scandal also.. SH always knew in the back of his mind that ML would never marry above him or the two girls but GTY proved him wrong.. If GTY wasn;t there to show him the logic of not listing CL in his family geneolgy he would have done it anyway regardless to him knowing that she was a murdere.. Still to this day after she told him she didn;t love him and has been lying to him all that time he still holds her dearly in his heart the henpeck fool..

Spoiler

CL must have had some good snatch he still can't let go and she's dead.. I see why they brought someone else in.

1 hour ago, frenchfan said:

@frenchfan  I think Auntie Kamg could have threaten to marry her off to some old geezer if she didn;t become GTY concubine.. I think ML should put a sign outside the home the GNRL isn;t acceppting concubines at this time and don;t cry to be about being your life line.. No need to commit suicide in front of me to save yourself.. If you must commit suicide please do so in the designated area..  :w00t: 

1 hour ago, Katrina Abdul Talib said:

Owh my bad.. Molan is not married to DrHe.. I got the wrong person. Yes agreed. I think marrying DrHe is also a better option.

Marrying Dr He wasn;t a better option, ML would have to put up with hius Aunt another Auntie Kang.. When ML ask on how should she address her woyuld it be and elder or the concubines Mom she called ML a Bitsh and ask her who do she think she is.. Cousin Mom would have also been stirring up trouble in that marriage because his mom had no control over her nor did Dr.He could say no to his mom and clingy cousin..

ML would have to take upon the budern of the house and those relatives of Dr He.. Atleast with GTY he's there to pick up anytime she needs him to step in Dr.He would have just went off on one of his picking adventures leavig all the problems for her to solve..

15 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

Katrina Abdul Talib

sava2sava said:

ML may have had in the back of her mind if she tries something it would be after Granny has past.. ML isn't prepared for Auntie Kang just yet and due to her pregnancy and morning sickness..  She may be wanting to put these problems on the back burner til after she gices birth but Auntie Kang going to mess with Grannies life brought the wrong side of ML out no one would ever know was there.. ML refuse to see another loved one dies due to someoine else greed especially when they close to her.. We may seeGTY having to calm her down as she goes on a killing spree

Hahhahah.. I'm so waiting for the time she goes on a killing spree.. But I think GTY will even back her up instead of calming her down, because to be honest he doesn't take betrayal lightly and he definitely hates those that disturbs him.. Hahahahhaha.. I'm so excited 

Archived