[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

3 hours ago, mingminglanlan said:

YOYOYO can someone tell me what the Empress is talking about in the preview clip, I know it's about being from Yangzhou but that's pretty much it. 

Isn't the guy at the polo match the one whom ML slashes with a sword in the earlier trailers?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

51 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

Then he doesn’t trust her and her words at all then.... 

GTY is a lot to handle. Always needs to be reassured. He’s like that annoying gf asking all the time, do you love me? You don’t love me enough! 

Actions should speak louder than words. Whatever she does for GTY it’s not like she would do for any man. He already schemed his way to get ML so he should cherish that he has her already. Like I said he is becoming overbearing at this point even more than when QH was pursuing ML. 

Even though it may seem like it I don’t think she treats her marriage like a job. I believe her marriage is something precious to her so I understand why she is cautious at times. After all, GTY is the only person she can rely on from now on. I don’t mean that as a bad thing it is similar to how she relied on granny. 

Like it was mentioned the director said when ML slapped MN should be the indication that she has already in love with GTY. 

For a husband or wife to accept and treat someone’s else kid like it were their own and feeling the pain he is in trying to find his son, in my opinion already shows that ML can make sacrifices for GTY. I think GTY is disregarding ML love and care for him because it’s not up to his standards. 

:joy:I so love this, hmm true, that's why I agree with what was said earlier, they both are comfortable with each other, that's why they always talk about their ways together, they understands each other, but they still don't trust each other regarding their deep feelings, even though they both know they wouldn't betray each other, they still don't trust the actions each other show to express their love.. Even ML does not know she is in love.. So I think they should just trust each other's actions that proves love.. What a funny relationship, different expectations for love + different personalities as individual = power couple's fight:lol:

• Like 4

Episode 50

GTY stepmom is on point about the difference with GTY and ML. One attacks one defends... If it weren’t for ML being careful all her life, GTY would’ve made grave mistakes already... For sure stepmom is scrambling her brains to try to break the bond between GTY and ML apart. Little did she know all it took was GTY to see ML and QH talking to each other. :crazy:

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

8 hours ago, jewelsc said:

Tbh, i'm sorta getting weary of GTY wanting ML to start loving and trusting him as a man and her husband..and with ML feeling insecure and maybe doesn't know what love really and truly is then y push her?, it's not like they got married due to love in the first place and he knew bcos he'd overheard her talking to her maid about her insecurities with her future and being cautious, y not let it rests and just go with the flow?..they got a whole lot of future as husband and wife together to teach her more about love and to trust in him, she will come around eventually...and i often wondered, if this was QH as her husband and she had some feelings for him before, would she had given him the love like how GTY is desperately seeking from her?

6 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

I don’t know if GTY realizes how much strength and support ML gives to him. And how much she tries her best. At this point I think GTY is being a little bit overbearing with his needs. Sure, he wants her to show more of her weaknesses, the side of her that no body see. The real side of her if revealed people can find a way to harm her. He wants to see her act madly in love with him. Give her all to him. Maybe he knows she does so much for him and he wants to have something that he can do for her as well. But dude, take a chill pill. ML already have soo much to deal with how can she have time to think about other things at this point. I understand though that in their up coming fight it’ll be a chance for GTY to learn to appreciate ML more. Hopefully, I don’t know how it goes yet since I’m only in episode 49. Haha 

1 hour ago, cherubstomato said:

Then he doesn’t trust her and her words at all then.... 

GTY is a lot to handle. Always needs to be reassured. He’s like that annoying gf asking all the time, do you love me? You don’t love me enough! 

Actions should speak louder than words. Whatever she does for GTY it’s not like she would do for any man. He already schemed his way to get ML so he should cherish that he has her already. Like I said he is becoming overbearing at this point even more than when QH was pursuing ML. 

Even though it may seem like it I don’t think she treats her marriage like a job. I believe her marriage is something precious to her so I understand why she is cautious at times. After all, GTY is the only person she can rely on from now on. I don’t mean that as a bad thing it is similar to how she relied on granny. 

Like it was mentioned the director said when ML slapped MN should be the indication that she has already in love with GTY. 

For a husband or wife to accept and treat someone’s else kid like it were their own and feeling the pain he is in trying to find his son, in my opinion already shows that ML can make sacrifices for GTY. I think GTY is disregarding ML love and care for him because it’s not up to his standards. 

8 hours ago, leeza77 said:

What did gty wants actually when he said those words. He accused ml as not cherishing her. Then, how to cherish him. Did ml care about him, be with him during the crisis, helping him with his daughter (wh not many woman can do that), worried about him whe he was injured, feel the sorrow with him when his brother pressured him to help the cousin. Ml might not tell him about her feeling bcoz she didn't yet realize her feeling towards him, but all the things she had done show her love and affection towards him. The have just married and so many things occured in their life. Ml was thrown into the chaos of gty's world with evil stepmom, aunties, empress dowager and manniang. She doesn't even have a breather for herself to analyse her feeling. 

Gty claim to know her well.. Then, be patient. Do not pressure her to declare her love. The love is in her heart. She will come around to do it in time. 

Thank you for you guys above i totally agree with everything you said , i with GTY is being way to pushy. The amount shes done for him should already be enough to show you that she care's for you. When GTY entered this marriage he knew that ML was most likely still in love with QH yet somehow expects full love from the start? Lets think for a moment that what if ML never fell in love with him, what if ML still had QH in her heart and never opens up to ML do people really think GTY would still treat her well or keep her as a wife? I think hes selfish in this aspect. He knew what ML was like before marriage and he knows about her history yet he still wants to force this issue?

If we see how GTY is now imagine if ML never open's up her feeling's i really doubt his love for her would remain the same once when accept's more concubine's etc.. 

4 hours ago, Suzzy San said:

she also thinks like other women the city who believes acting virtously and being like a perfect person, which is not, is the best way to live.. Just know your true self and don't cover for a perfect side to him 

That is how a women was supposed to act back then.. shes acting the correct way hes the one acting odd.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bulubulu said:

Wow your phone was on 5 precent and u can write and translate this much. Thats mvp. I appreciate for your translation.

What do he mean when he say HouYe and Guan Ren? Those 2 words means?

Lol...I was translating on my phone and writing on my desktop.

GuanRen means Official...his position in court....Houye is Marquis...the title he inherited.

the other two Er Lang and Zhong Huai is his courtesy name  and is how he's called by his close and intimate friends...like CB calls him both.

9 hours ago, Suzzy San said:

Wow.. ML is so dumb about the matters of the heart.. Before I thought she was just pretending or maybe deceiving herself.. But she is really dumb about all these love things.. Omg i really wish someone gives her a one on one lesson about love and marriage.. Truly she is seeing these as official thing about duty, ML ah ML let's be more vast.. I think this is actually past the Era, it's more of ML not knowing what her husband wants or what she wants.. 

For me this problem has gotten way past the difference between men and women of that Era, it has gotten way past what her resolutions to life is, it has gotten way past what the world thinks, the problem is about the happiness of their family.. The husband she is trying hard to be a dutiful woman has told her what he wants, the house she is trying to make peace for is now on the verge of being in disorder, no man can be trusted, yes, but no one lives their life guarding against the one  man that is legally yours, anything can happen in the future, yes, but no one forgets about the joy of the present.. And all this is true and even though, the Era dictates these things as legal, this man has shown you time without number that unless there is an 100 percent reason for that, he will stand by you.. For me I do not need to love him back 100 percent but I still will love him as much as do myself.. ML needs to learn and let go of her discord with her heart.. It's that Era as an excuse is surely not the best way to go, the problem is ML's heart and supposed survival stints. Not the Era, not what the future brings, not if a man's love will change, these are not the problems.. The problem is what she has kept at her brain 

It's like an official terms for husband.. It's more like a distance term and not like an intimate one like Erlang.. It's more like addressing your boss

Well said. I think GTY even though he understood her personality, never realized ML's past has been a unforgiving teacher for her. The lessons she learned are deeply embedded in her psyche. 

9 hours ago, m0us3y said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I could be the odd ball here. But I actually found the translation funny (haven't watched the extended preview). 

So while we were thinking of this and that, she's actually just THAT dense about love?? :lol:

Actually, didn't they have that conversation already? Not the last bit of having no heart. But the fact that no matter what men do, they can always make a comeback. Women, on the other hand, never had that luxury. Their reputation is pretty much everything, their world confined...

I wasn't laughing at first when ML was being dense and GTY's blood started boiling with each answer and but then his throwing his hat or whatever at her....and ML looking like what the hell does he want me to say.....wasn't that the right answer....I couldn't help but laugh.

And yes this convo. happened already but with QH in the temple when she was telling him to stop his pursuit. ML after saying that then gave him the unspoken go ahead....which then lost the impact of the argument for me.

9 hours ago, jewelsc said:

Tbh, i'm sorta getting weary of GTY wanting ML to start loving and trusting him as a man and her husband..and with ML feeling insecure and maybe doesn't know what love really and truly is then y push her?, it's not like they got married due to love in the first place and he knew bcos he'd overheard her talking to her maid about her insecurities with her future and being cautious, y not let it rests and just go with the flow?..they got a whole lot of future as husband and wife together to teach her more about love and to trust in him, she will come around eventually...and i often wondered, if this was QH as her husband and she had some feelings for him before, would she had given him the love like how GTY is desperately seeking from her?

I think it seems GTY is rushing ML too much because in the drama they have only been married few weeks/months?? GTY getting insecure and pushing ML to love him when they have their whole future ahead does seem a little desperate. Maybe the writers are rushing to get everything in coz theres a lot to more cover. It would have made more sense if they had followed the book and let them have this argument after 2 years of marriage and birth of the first child. I think then it would make sense for GTY to get angry that ML still sees this marriage as a job.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, dito said:

Lol...I was translating on my phone and writing on my desktop.

GuanRen means Official...his position in court....Houye is Marquis...the title he inherited.

the other two Er Lang and Zhong Huai is his courtesy name  and is how he's called by his close and intimate friends...like CB calls him both.

Well said. I think GTY even though he understood her personality, never realized ML's past has been a unforgiving teacher for her. The lessons she learned are deeply embedded in her psyche. 

I wasn't laughing at first when ML was being dense and GTY's blood started boiling with each answer and but then his throwing his hat or whatever at her....and ML looking like what the hell does he want me to say.....wasn't that the right answer....I couldn't help but laugh.

And yes this convo. happened already but with QH in the temple when she was telling him to stop his pursuit. ML after saying that then gave him the unspoken go ahead....which then lost the impact of the argument for me.

I think may be because it seems GTY is rushing ML too much because in the drama they have only been married few weeks/months?? GTY getting insecure and pushing ML to love him when they have their whole future ahead does seem a little desperate. Maybe the writers are rushing to get everything in coz theres a lot to more cover. It would have made more sense if they had followed the book and let them have this argument after 2 years of marriage and birth of the first child. I think then it would make sense for GTY to get angry that ML still sees this marriage as a job.

Well in the novel gty's character was not a romantic outgoing guy. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dito said:

ML after saying that then gave him the unspoken go ahead....which then lost the impact of the argument for me.

He knew about her mother , he knew about QH he obviously know's about the crappy father?

SO he does know the past of her pretty well yet expects to just have all the love, i also think its most likely been month's / a year since the wedding. 

Also what do you mean by saying ML gave QH the unspoken go ahead.

• Like 4

Its cause and effect the reason he is acting this way because she keeps trying to push him into someone else arms of he will be upset.I thought he made it clear he does not want to be that type of guy at this point.

I mean does she not notice how much all of this upsets him?They get along so well its obvious she cares about him,they will get there I dont think it will take much.  

Edited by dramaninja
  • Like 8

Just now, dramaninja said:

Its cause and effect the reason he is acting this way because she keeps trying to push him into someone else arms of he will be upset.I thought he made it clear he does not want to be that type of guy at this point.

She has always dodge the concubines being gifted to them. She used every excused there is. Sooner or later it’ll be hard to dodge it. 

I don’t remember her pushing him or keep pushing him into someone else arms.

The only time that it seemed like it was when she agreed to have him spend the night with MN. But, you can see the hurt in her eyes. I can tell that she is willing to make this sacrifice because she knows how important his son is to him. If that doesn’t show she loves him than I don’t know the kind of love GTY is expecting from her. A love slave?

She was scrambling her brains trying to figure out how to get MN to talk the where abouts of the son. All GTY kept doing is having his temper go out of hand, and ML was the one coming up with all the plans and calming him down. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

She has always dodge the concubines being gifted to them. She used every excused there is. Sooner or later it’ll be hard to dodge it. 

The only time that it seemed like it was when she agreed to have him spend the night with MN. But, you can see the hurt in her eyes. I can tell that she is willing to make this sacrifice because she knows how important his son is to him. If that doesn’t show she loves him than I don’t know the kind of love GTY is expecting from her. A love slave?

She was scrambling her brains trying to figure out how to get MN to talk the where abouts of the son. All GTY kept doing is having his temper go out of hand, and ML was the one coming up with all the plans and calming him down. 

He might not see the hurt in ML eyes and her speech when suggesting GTY to spend the night with MN and that concubine, that's why he tests her. GTY doesn't want understanding love between man and woman but more selfish love from ML; like you belongs to me, only mine and no one else kind of love LOLOL

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

He has every right to be angry about the entire situation he is in with the other woman is missing child and her.He  did not like the sort of plan  she came up with what husband would be happy about that?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, dramaninja said:

He has every right to be angry about the entire situation he is in with the other woman is missing child and her.He  did not like the sort of plan  she came up with what husband would be happy about that?

She didn’t make that plan up... she only agreed to MN request so that they can get a lead on the son.

GTY has always been hot tempered, he wears his heart on his shoulders. And that caused him a lot of troubles in the past. He is lucky to have ML as his wife. She is more than his wife. She is someone who protects and guides him.

• Like 1

Rolling my eyes at some people blaming ML for this.

She was forced into this marriage basically , GTY said he would give her a good life when so far its non stop scheming . GTY married her knowing her history yet expect's love this fast. His actions are annoying me more then ML , ML is not perfect but GTY knew this before marrying her he really does not have a right to get this angry.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Well in the novel gty's character was not a romantic outgoing guy. 

Yeah, book gty is more vague and more proving with his action, but that’s not the thing with drama gty where he is more open with his feelings. I feel like ml has an invisible barrier regarding anything romantic, she’s not imperceptive,  she just automatically doesnt believe any romantic words that came out of gty. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cherubstomato said:

She didn’t make that plan up... she only agreed to MN request so that they can get a lead on the son.

GTY has always been hot tempered, he wears his heart on his shoulders. And that caused him a lot of troubles in the past. He is lucky to have ML as his wife. She is more than his wife. She is someone who protects and guides him.

Exactly gty is being a bit pushy for my liking, when QH was being pushy and annoying he was called out but when its GTY people dont say anything really. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

16 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

Women who become like that will eventually become a hot mess.... :ph34r: MN cough MN.... 

MN love is extreme selfish love bordering to sickness like you're only mine and no one else can have you; I would rather kill you or your loved one than seeing you happy with someone else :crazy:

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

He knew about her mother , he knew about QH he obviously know's about the crappy father?

SO he does know the past of her pretty well yet expects to just have all the love, i also think its most likely been month's / a year since the wedding. 

Also what do you mean by saying ML gave QH the unspoken go ahead.

After the polo match, in the temple scene in epi17 .....ML was trying to convince QH to stop his pursuit of her.....and listed this long list of things that are against them. Then when QH asked her if you have me in your heart....she didn't deny it. Which then gave QH the go ahead to pursue her even harder. I mean she was trying to stop him but at the last moment got suckered in by his promises and stayed silent....giving him the confirmation. Thats what I meant by her unspoken go ahead.

• Like 4