[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jackie1048 said:

Once again Sheng Hong proved that he is a disappointment as Ming Lan's father. Despite what he learned of Concubine Lin's deceit, he still favoured his two children from Concubine Lin.

He argued with his main wife over the choice of bride for Chang Feng and fall for Molan's act over her request for her mother to be place in the ancestry hall.

I dared Sheng Hong to slap Ming Lan is Gu Ting Ye's presence as Gu Ting Ye outrank everyone in that room. Sheng Hong will not be able to physically fight a "General"

Unfortunately, SHENG father is one sad man. I think he feels regret over wasting so much time on Molan's mother because he found out a little too late about her backstabbing schemes. At the same time, he is conflicted because of the experience of being betrayed and being adored by the same woman. He invested so much into her only to be "face-slapped" by her lies. I also believe that he really found a soul-mate with Molan's mom because he was a concubines son and she was also a concubine. Sheng must've thought that maybe with time everything will eventually smooth over and all would be forgiven. His reaction towards Minglan showed how he is still in his own little world of DENIAL.

11 hours ago, dito said:

LMAO....ROTFL:joy:

Oh my....but I low key agree....lets start the fight already....so ML tells him get off her back....the person she loves the most is herself. 

Just to let you know the fight/heart to heart continued over a period of time .....and is divided into 3 parts....the last part happens after granny's poisoning. Only the first part is the fight....

Whatever it takes to stop gty from getting in his feeling is always welcome for me!

Can anyone tell me, on the episode where gty asking ml to call him darling 2, what was the term she use? Was it husband? 

First I was “aww.. gty wants to be lovey dovey with ml” and then I remember that was the term mn use for him. Now I’m all, dont do it ml!!!! Call him 2nd uncle again!!! How dare he!! :triumph:

38 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Whatever it takes to stop gty from getting in his feeling is always welcome for me!

Can anyone tell me, on the episode where gty asking ml to call him darling 2, what was the term she use? Was it husband? 

First I was “aww.. gty wants to be lovey dovey with ml” and then I remember that was the term mn use for him. Now I’m all, dont do it ml!!!! Call him 2nd uncle again!!! How dare he!! :triumph:

She normally calls him "guan ren" (she has now moves on to calling him "hou ye"), which is a common term women in this drama call their husband, but I think only main wife can use this term, because I can't recall if any concubine uses that term, CL and CW both use "zhu jun" (master) to address SH. Big Madam calls SH "guan ren", for example. My takes is that this term is more of a standard and polite way of addressing husbands, and GTY wants ML to call him "Er Lang", more like an endearment term, more intimate. It's similar to how Concubine Lin calls SH "Hong Lang" when they're private.

"Lang", from what I've seen in several dramas, is often used in 2 cases: (1) when following a guy's name (SH's name) is usually how a woman intimately addressing her lover and (2) is used to call a child in a family with many brothers, for instance, everyone calls GTY as "Gu Er Lang", cause he's the second son of Gu family (Er = second). Normally, people would use "Gu Er Lang" when they're talking about him, but  as of this drama, it seems like only family members who are above him and close friends who are equal to him can directly calls him "Er Lang". It depends on who is using the term, his family calls him "Er Lang" cause they're family, Chang Bai calls him "Er Lang" cause they're best friend, but if a woman who isn't in his family calls him "Er Lang", then it's most likely that they're lover. I don't think it's bad for ML to call him the same term, cause technically, MN is not the only one who uses it.

5 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

She normally calls him "guan ren" (she has now moves on to calling him "hou ye"), which is a common term women in this drama call their husband, but I think only main wife can use this term, because I can't recall if any concubine uses that term, CL and CW both use "zhu jun" (master) to address SH. Big Madam calls SH "guan ren", for example. My takes is that this term is more of a standard and polite way of addressing husbands, and GTY wants ML to call him "Er Lang", more like an endearment term, more intimate. It's similar to how Concubine Lin calls SH "Hong Lang" when they're private.

"Lang", from what I've seen in several dramas, is often used in 2 cases: (1) when following a guy's name (SH's name) is usually how a woman intimately addressing her lover and (2) is used to call a child in a family with many brothers, for instance, everyone calls GTY as "Gu Er Lang", cause he's the second son of Gu family (Er = second). Normally, people would use "Gu Er Lang" when they're talking about him, but  as of this drama, it seems like only family members who are above him and close friends who are equal to him can directly calls him "Er Lang". It depends on who is using the term, his family calls him "Er Lang" cause they're family, Chang Bai calls him "Er Lang" cause they're best friend, but if a woman who isn't in his family calls him "Er Lang", then it's most likely that they're lover. I don't think it's bad for ML to call him the same term, cause technically, MN is not the only one who uses it.

Thank you for the info bits! Mandarin is so complicated :joy: I was just messing around, I wouldnt want to call my husband the same term with what his old lover used to call him. If I was in ML position, I’d call him 2nd uncle again just to be petty, see how he likes that!! 

7 hours ago, nichiwoohee said:

Thank you for the info bits! Mandarin is so complicated :joy: I was just messing around, I wouldnt want to call my husband the same term with what his old lover used to call him. If I was in ML position, I’d call him 2nd uncle again just to be petty, see how he likes that!! 

Wasn't Manniang calling him Gu Lang....I don't think shes ever called him Er lang...not sure though.

But GTY is very insistent on this.Even when they were discussing how to get the truth out of MN and ML called him Guiren....GTY gave her a stern look and said Er lang...indicating thats what he wants to hear.:joy:

Mostly people are addressed with their titles...like Guiren is official..someone in the official position...Thats what SH is called by his wife.

Houye is Marquis, the title that GTY inherited after his brother died....thats what most people call him now.

QH was/is called Xiao Gongye which means little Duke...coz his dad is the Duke.

28 minutes ago, dito said:

Wasn't Manniang calling him Gu Lang....I don't think shes ever called him Er lang...not sure though.

But GTY is very insistent on this.Even when they were discussing how to get the truth out of MN and ML called him Guiren....GTY gave her a stern look and said Er lang...indicating thats what he wants to hear.:joy:

I think she did call him er lang, but back then I thought she mean 2nd brother, but then gty ask ml so insistently, which doesnt make sense for him to want ml call him 2nd brother too :sweatingbullets:

thankfully @gleek49 explained it clearly

11 minutes ago, mingerling said:

seeing SH cower when GTY came to defend ML had me dyinggg!!  :joy: i've been replaying that part for a hot minute lool

Seeing GTY actually looking and holding the wife as he said he's picking her up, and then stroking her back gently as he speaks...:wub:

I realise they do that with each other. When ML sees GTY angry or unhappy, she strokes his back gently as a way to ease his anger too. 

Could be just me but I find that very heartwarming. Very intimate.

Spoiler

My heart breaks when ML tells him how her mom forced her to stop calling her mom, for her survival....

can't even call your own mom as mom...:tears:

And for GTY to acknowledge her mom as mother-in-law...how much it means to ML..

At the end of the day, both GTY and ML really only wanted their moms' to be acknowledged as a person...:tears:

The scriptwriter in his blog, said that the slap given by ml to mn is an indication that ml already love gty bcos ml is not a physical person. She slapped mn bcoz mn insulted gty and it is something of out of character for ml. 

After the recent episodes it does make me see how similar they are in a way...and that's why they understand each other so well, implicitly, intuitively...

The pain and damage they have been through as a child. Lost innocence. 

But the way they deal with the pain, it seems, is on the opposite end of the spectrum. 

GTY externalise his hurt in the form of rebellion. He argues, and talks back to his dad and elders, and takes a heap of beating. Rebel against his family, earning himself a bad name in the capital. 

But more dangerously, is that ML internalise her pain. She becomes docile, puts her head down, pretending to be meek, plays dumb, appearing in daze. Suppressing her feelings. All to hide her pain within. 

The things she was forced/forced herself to do to survive well in the family. 

It's not that hard to see why it's so difficult for her to open up...so disinclined to express her feelings. 

So while the world sees him as rash, unfilial, revengeful, disrespectful scoundrel; and her as meek, in daze glutton, and now to the Gu's as scheming, manipulative woman; they see each other as they are deep down: lonely, damaged soul of a beautiful, kind person inside...

11 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

The scriptwriter in his blog, said that the slap given by ml to mn is an indication that ml already love gty bcos ml is not a physical person. She slapped mn bcoz mn insulted gty and it is something of out of character for ml. 

:blink: I've never thought about that! 

But so true! Even when she had her revenge on CL, she didn't say more than a sentence...didn't show much feelings...

She's never lifted her arm, or gotten physical with anyone ..

But thank you for confirming my suspicion that she does love GTY her own way, whether she realises it or not. Regardless if he sees it or not...

6 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

After the recent episodes it does make me see how similar they are in a way...and that's why they understand each other so well, implicitly, intuitively...

The pain and damage they have been through as a child. Lost innocence. 

But the way they deal with the pain, it seems, is on the opposite end of the spectrum. 

GTY externalise his hurt in the form of rebellion. He argues, and talks back to his dad and elders, and takes a heap of beating. Rebel against his family, earning himself a bad name in the capital. 

But more dangerously, is that ML internalise her pain. She becomes docile, puts her head down, pretending to be meek, plays dumb, appearing in daze. Suppressing her feelings. All to hide her pain within. 

The things she was forced/forced herself to do to survive well in the family. 

It's not that hard to see why it's so difficult for her to open up...so disinclined to express her feelings. 

So while the world sees him as rash, unfilial, revengeful, disrespectful scoundrel; and her as meek, in daze glutton, and now to the Gu's as scheming, manipulative woman; they see each other as they are deep down: lonely, damaged soul of a beautiful, kind person inside...

Well, they complement to each other. For gty, his rebellious way was quenched by ml gentle way, rational thinking and calm manner. He himself admitted that no one can control him, even the emperor but only ml can. 

Whilst for ml, gty give her dignity as woman, freedom to exercise her will. Ml in one of the episode said that when i was at sheng manor, i just pretend to be weak and dumb. After i marry u, i learned to lie. And gty proudly said, i guess it is a thank you. 

7 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

:blink: I've never thought about that! 

But so true! Even when she had her revenge on CL, she didn't say more than a sentence...didn't show much feelings...

She's never lifted her arm, or gotten physical with anyone ..

But thank you for confirming my suspicion that she does love GTY her own way, whether she realises it or not. Regardless if he sees it or not...

Actually ML has been showing and doing a lot of things that proves she loves him, the last step is just for her to openly accept it or accept it to herself that she loves him.. If she accepts it herself, GTY will also be able to feel 

3 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Well, they complement to each other. For gty, his rebellious way was quenched by ml gentle way, rational thinking and calm manner. He himself admitted that no one can control him, even the emperor but only ml can. 

Whilst for ml, gty give her dignity as woman, freedom to exercise her will. Ml in one of the episode said that when i was at sheng manor, i just pretend to be weak and dumb. After i marry u, i learned to lie. And gty proudly said, i guess it is a thank you. 

They do. Perfectly. 

That's what makes them so formidable as opponent. 

The stepmom couldn't get GTY to make mistakes she expects him to make because ML is there to stop him from making those mistakes.

And now, SH can no longer cover up whatever he wants and boldly favour CL and Molan because GTY is there to protect, and defend ML .. 

Such a beautiful couple, with 2 very intelligent, but emotionally hurt person.

56 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Can you give me a link of scriptwriter 's blog? Is it in Chinese? 

14 hours ago, m0us3y said:

Just watched EP 52 tv version (raw)..

Need some help with translation...

Did QH really said to QTY, "I trusted you, and see how I end up now? If the Emperor trusts you, how will he ends up?"

Is he saying that GTY con ML from him??

As GTY walks off, QH actually said "You can deceive everyone but not me?" 

Is he implying that ML is getting deceived by him?

Also it seems rather evident that QH is indeed doing what he was doing out of personal interest, and his grudge. He even tried to convince himself, rather unsuccessfully, that it's professional?

Just wanna ensure I didn't misunderstand that scene before I comment further...

You got the conversation between QH and GTY right. One tiny thing though, QH implied that in the matter of courting ML, GTY deceived him. From this he deducted that GTY wasn't a trustworthy man and shouldn't hold a position of high responsibility in court. From this one can clearly see personal matters intertwined with court issues, so when QH finally said "I did this all for the court.", he's only deceiving himself.

Archived