[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

1 hour ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

She was only willing to let GTY and MN have a night together because lets say she reject's and news spreads that doesnt care about GTY's son that would be a horrible situation for her. Do people really think shes fine with it , she is just playing the virtous wife after seeing the issues in the Sheng household. It does not matter how many times GTY say's he wont take concubines in because sometime's its out of your control and just because he say's he wont touch another girl ML has to play the dumb female role and just accept everything??

Think about the era they are in.. if she gives everything to him then 10 years later he start's to get turned off , what is ML supposed to do then. Even after this argument and shows her love openly its never going to be full trust because that is stupid for the era they arein. 

Regarding the grandmother i hope ML move's her into ML's house after all this happens. 

Am i the only one who does not think its that stupid from ML's part.. doing it in her own home after most likely setting up this party and knowing where everyone is? I dont think she would meet up with QH if there was any risk of anyone else seeing it. I think doing it in the house is most likely the safest option.

Hopefully let go then .. oh no 2 weeks later she was killed .

Also dont get me damn started on how useless SH is as a father hes terrible and if he dies i would cheer and be so damn happy. 

That's only an " if " and I dont think the drama will go that far for the next " 10 years " thing you're saying, thats so out of topic for me to even think about it. Why would news spread, it is okay to not want your man to sleep with another woman, if ppl really make or spread news out of that then screw them. I really believed that GTY only has ML in his heart and the words he said to her are true words coming out from him and its not just some words he say cus " its out of control ". No i dont mean ML has to play dumb and accpect everything. We all know shes very smart. But what im trying to say is she should tried to take GTY's words seriously, because it isnt just some random words to make her feel happy. 

Still, the thing ML tossing him to go to MN is still a big no to me. I will not change my mind on that part.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there wasn't conflict or drama, is it even worth watching?

If characters were always perfect, wouldn't it get too boring?

I'm just one of those people who like to sit back and enjoy the show.

The scenes are written and directed by others, who am I to dispute?

17 minutes ago, bulubulu said:

That's only an " if " and I dont think the drama will go that far for the next " 10 years " thing you're saying, thats so out of topic for me to even think about it. Why would news spread, it is okay to not want your man to sleep with another woman, if ppl really make or spread news out of that then screw them. I really believed that GTY only has ML in his heart and the words he said to her are true words coming out from him and its not just some words he say cus " its out of control ". No i dont mean ML has to play dumb and accpect everything. We all know shes very smart. But what im trying to say is she should tried to take GTY's words seriously, because it isnt just some random words to make her feel happy. 

Still, the thing ML tossing him to go to MN is still a big no to me. I will not change my mind on that part.

I know its a what if but you need to understand the era they are in if ML fully lets her self go then i would find her character stupid based on what we have seen on her so far. You just think she should be in love with him fully without thinking about the era they are in. 

NO its not alright to not want your man to sleep with another women in that era that is incredibly wrong of a wife to public say this, yeah at the moment he only has ML in his heart but ML is not stupid to just rely on him. 

You can think its a big no no but ive watched enough of these drama's to know what time was like back then and everything ML did was correct as to what wife had to do back then. 

3 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I know its a what if but you need to understand the era they are in if ML fully lets her self go then i would find her character stupid based on what we have seen on her so far. You just think she should be in love with him fully without thinking about the era they are in. 

NO its not alright to not want your man to sleep with another women in that era that is incredibly wrong of a wife to public say this, yeah at the moment he only has ML in his heart but ML is not stupid to just rely on him. 

You can think its a big no no but ive watched enough of these drama's to know what time was like back then and everything ML did was correct as to what wife had to do back then. 

Its not stupid of her to rely on her husband. What i mean by that is she doesnt have to rely everything on him or to let go of everything for him but to just know that he will always be there for her whenever she needs help.

I'll just keep my writing short here and will not say too much.

You can think however you want and ill think however i want. 

Just now, bulubulu said:

Its not stupid of her to rely on her husband. What i mean by that is she doesnt have to rely everything on him or to let go of everything for him but to just know that he will always be there for her whenever she needs help.

I'll just keep my writing short here and will not say too much.

You can think however you want and ill think however i want. 

She need's to rely on her self and love her self that is how you survive in that era and im not telling you how to think or change your opinion we can have different opinion's and argue the case but seem's you dont want to so no problem.

1 minute ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

She need's to rely on her self and love her self that is how you survive in that era and im not telling you how to think or change your opinion we can have different opinion's and argue the case but seem's you dont want to so no problem.

But now shes got a partner and a soon child. It not just her and herself now. Its her and her partner.

Yes i know you're not telling me how to think or change my opinion, thats just my way of saying that i disagree with you haha. My bad if it comes off as something else. I been talking about this since yesterday i just want a break hahaha

1 minute ago, bulubulu said:

But now shes got a partner and a soon child. It not just her and herself now. Its her and her partner.

Yes i know you're not telling me how to think or change my opinion, thats just my way of saying that i disagree with you haha. My bad if it comes off as something else. I been talking about this since yesterday i just want a break hahaha

No problem we can disagree with each other if everyone was the same world would be a boring place.

@bulubulu You are looking at things from a heart pov - feelings. 

Others are looking at brain pov - thinking. 

Some of us, our lives are dictated by what we feel, and our actions are a result of that feeling. 

Others, are dictated by what we know, what is rational, and the actions are a result of the thought process. 

Often, the heart and brain are not aligned. 

If ML lived her life by what she feels, she wouldn't have survived till now. 

She felt the injustice, she felt the disparity, she felt the hate, she disliked embroidery, she hated the unfairness of it all.

But she kept her head low, she played dumb, she let herself be the flawless daughter, she pretended to enjoy embroidery. 

Because the brain knows that's best for survival.

We applauded her for being able to let go, and not resent QH when he let her down. 

We applauded her when, despite the heartbreak, despite what she feels, she knows, and told Danju, "never look back"

Because while the heart felt the pain, the brain knows that QH is not right for her. 

She feels GTY's care, his love, his actions. 

In fact, she knows how much he has done for her. 

And we see that she too cares for him, that's beyond simply of duty and responsibility of a wife. 

But she also knows that

- promises/oaths can be broken : QH is a good eg. 

- their status diff. She's highly disadvantaged if anything happens. 

- the fact that she's a woman: when things go south, the price she needs to pay is a lot higher than the price he needs to pay 

- love may or may not last forever. 

We could say that GTY is not QH/Dr.He and can't be judged as one, but it is a case of once bitten, twice shy. 

All her life, she lives by what's rational.

One cannot expect a drastic change in that ingrained behaviour in short period. 

Change takes time. 

And her healing from all her past takes time. 

I believe she will come to him,..in time...

18 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

@bulubulu You are looking at things from a heart pov - feelings. 

Others are looking at brain pov - thinking. 

Some of us, our lives are dictated by what we feel, and our actions are a result of that feeling. 

Others, are dictated by what we know, what is rational, and the actions are a result of the thought process. 

Often, the heart and brain are not aligned. 

If ML lived her life by what she feels, she wouldn't have survived till now. 

She felt the injustice, she felt the disparity, she felt the hate, she disliked embroidery. 

But she kept her head low, she played dumb, she let herself be the flawless daughter, she pretended to enjoy embroidery. 

Because the brain knows that's best for survival.

We applauded her for being able to let go, and not resent QH when he let her down. 

We applauded her when, despite the heartbreak, despite what she feels, she knows, and told Danju, "never look back"

Because while the heart felt the pain, the brain knows that QH is not right for her. 

She feels GTY's care, his love, his actions. 

In fact, she knows how much he has done for her. 

And we see that she too cares for him, that's beyond simply of duty and responsibility of a wife. 

But she also knows that

- promises/oaths can be broken : QH is a good eg. 

- their status diff. She's highly disadvantaged if anything happens. 

- the fact that she's a woman: when things go south, the price she needs to pay is a lot higher than the price he needs to pay 

- love may or may not last forever. 

We could say that GTY is not QH/Dr.He and can't be judged as one, but it is a case of once bitten, twice shy. 

All her life, she lives by what's rational.

One cannot expect a drastic change in that ingrained behaviour in short period. 

Change takes time. 

And her healing from all her past takes time. 

I believe she will come to him,..in time...

I am not someone who who makes things look deeper than it is. And im not saying that you are doing that. Maybe thats why i view this differently. Yes i also believed she will come to him in time too. I dont fully agree to everything you said but i can somewhat understand that. Till the drama ends then ill see if i have a different view. Till then, i'll remain with my own same thoughts.

37 minutes ago, jxs86 said:

I see the link for novel in the first post but it stops at ch 20. Where can I get the whole novel translated to english? Thanks.

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/legend-of-concubines-daughter-minglan/

You might have to wait a year if the translator is being consistent, otherwise you can choose to kill some brain cells with MTL (machine translation).

13 hours ago, leeza77 said:

Fierce ml, protective gty  stupid sh

:tears: until now SH's still showing so much favouritism. 

Even after CL's death, poor ML is still fighting for justice...

Good to see GTY and Granny standing on her side. Even Rulan seems to be quietly supporting her. 

After Ep 49 Minglan indeed do care for GTY.She is doing her wife role really well.she doesn`t falter in helping GTY with anything cuz that`s the wife role she is supposed to do.but when it come to her heart and feeling towards GTY.She isn`t fully understand what he needs from her.what he needs is to change her look into her heart and to fully accept him.Time for sure is what they need for each other.But For GTY.He is still getting hurt by her.as for ep 49.when she had no problem with him sleeping the night with MN.she may thought that`s the easy solution for now as he isn`t losing anything by it.But not for him.He was very hurt by that.Even i was shocked by u Minglan:tears:.isn`t there a little consider to his feeling a little.but i can feel that he still waits for her to open her heart.cuz every time GTY try and move closer to her heart.she always change the subject and u can see the hurt face of him:tears:.

and that`s will later shown in their fight cuz of QH.Hope that she`ll understand a little bit.we have to wait to see that happened.I hope everything will be clear to her by then so I really can`t wait to see that scene.

Also asking to meet QH in her home.like what:crazy:.even Xiaotao was shocked.so it`s right for GTY to be mad.mad isn`t  enough actually:sweatingbullets:.

And That MN.woah.let me give u a slap first .So sorry for GTY.after waiting for these years.he find that chang`er is dead.It hurts him as he doesn`t want to believe it.Hope to see u suffer more crazy MN:crazy:.

Once again Sheng Hong proved that he is a disappointment as Ming Lan's father. Despite what he learned of Concubine Lin's deceit, he still favoured his two children from Concubine Lin.

He argued with his main wife over the choice of bride for Chang Feng and fall for Molan's act over her request for her mother to be place in the ancestry hall.

I dared Sheng Hong to slap Ming Lan is Gu Ting Ye's presence as Gu Ting Ye outrank everyone in that room. Sheng Hong will not be able to physically fight a "General"

TY establishing himself as part of the imperial army is awesome. Now his whole family will kowtow to him. A bunch of unpleasant ingrates.

Ep.39 is great. I love that TY is ready to move mountains & rivers for ML. He is so patient/clever about it too, even though he knew he had to leave for the battlefront. He's so cunning, like ML. It's amusing that he used RL as as an excuse to get ML. I'm happy RL gets to marry the man she loves. I like that TY

professed everything to ML about his bold scheme to marry her & mentioning marriage prospect from way before since the river incident.

QH wanting to redeem himself by proposing to ML & his spiteful mother acting gracious to the Sheng Family makes me eyeroll. <_< Boo hoo. The conversation between TY & QH was good. TY stands firm & stays true to himself. He's a formidable man. I like that TY expressed his qenuine feelings towards ML to QH, even when TY said he wouldve help QH & ML be together. But QH is such a primly dolt. Thank goodness ML isnt settling for less or be treated like second choices. Moving forward is good.

The conversation between ML & grandma about TY has me grinning ear to ear, same w/ML & TY by the pond. ML being happy about TY exerting such energy to have her but anxious that he's frighteningly cunning/good is so delightful to see. TY is honest & sincere, a smooth talker to boot. He pours his whole heart out to ML & treats her like fine treasures. TY being resolute & putting ML's wellbeing/reputation

above everyone else is super. ML smiling & jolly is so cute. I'm so darn happy for these cuties.

Reading about the love/trust/heart-opening between the two main characters...

All the back/forth says the producers/directors have done a great job with this series.  They have managed to wrap us into a world where women lived a very proscribed life and wound a love story into it. 

CAN MingLan step outside of her duties and societal position to trust the love and passion of her husband?  

This story is about the life, the restrictions and expectations, of an aristocratic woman in her time, the Song Dynasty.  Men were still fighting with swords!  

Interesting that most are transposing current feelings of romantic love onto a situation where no such thing likely existed.  Marriages were arranged between families, couples rarely, if ever, met prior to being married.  The life of an aristocratic woman was lived almost entirely in her own home and the "inner courtyard" machinations depicted were likely common.  

I'm glad the drama simplified the MN-Changer arc. It would have been heartbreaking having to watch GTY, the lead we have come to love, having to choose between his son and the safety of his wife.

MN must be the craziest self-sabotaging gold digger in dramaland. She made unfathomable decisions at every turn. It was also wierd to me that she would kidnap the son for material gain and then keep him for years with no ransom demands. The drama version that he died early on makes more sense and explains MN subsequent mental state when she returned.

32 minutes ago, watchumlots said:

Reading about the love/trust/heart-opening between the two main characters...

All the back/forth says the producers/directors have done a great job with this series.  They have managed to wrap us into a world where women lived a very proscribed life and wound a love story into it. 

CAN MingLan step outside of her duties and societal position to trust the love and passion of her husband?  

This story is about the life, the restrictions and expectations, of an aristocratic woman in her time, the Song Dynasty.  Men were still fighting with swords!  

Interesting that most are transposing current feelings of romantic love onto a situation where no such thing likely existed.  Marriages were arranged between families, couples rarely, if ever, met prior to being married.  The life of an aristocratic woman was lived almost entirely in her own home and the "inner courtyard" machinations depicted were likely common.  

Enjoyed reading your post.ML stays quite true to the era in her thoughts.Among the sword and spear wielding men GTY stands out. His progressive views can easily fit in the current century but would be an anomaly during the time he lived in.

Archived